Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bowlardo wrote: »
    It was nice to see the dragon just let off the lease

It was some upgrade Drogon got since the long night, Even if Rhegal was half as effective, the two of them at the power shown in KL would have wiped out most of the dead army in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Daith

paulbok wrote: »
    It was some upgrade Drogon got since the long night, Even if Rhegal was half as effective, the two of them at the power shown in KL would have wiped out most of the dead army in no time.

The Night King should have been bounced back behind The Wall with that kinetic impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What is the ****ing point of Bran. What an absolute useless character.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Was he not the main target for the NK in the Battle of Winterfell? Every character can't be involved in every plot in a show as expansive as GOT, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

He's the token child with disabilities. HBO get a compassionate grant for having him in the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He's the token child with disabilities. HBO get a compassionate grant for having him in the show.

Makes sense,

Its idiotic, yes hes the keeper of history time kept, as much as the bloody citadel and books.

the NK could have marched and destroyed every man woman and child, not exposed himself to an ambush. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK..... OK. Well... Well, I enjoyed that more than the rest of this season but obviously with some issues. I didn't mind Dany going cray cray. We've seen that coming for a few seasons now but, once again, having 10 episodes this season would have been better. Could have shown her final descent into madness better. Instead of coming across as her finally displaying her true descent into madness it came across as a tantrum: "Ohhh, Jon Snow doesn't like me anymore. Burn 'em. Burn 'em all, Ralphie".
    Cleganebowl was so OTT I was waiting for star wars duel music to start (You know the one. From The Phantom Meanace"). At least it was entertaining.

I think however that maybe we are being a bit too harsh on the show. While I enjoyed the crap out of the episodes in general, it was never high art :) and, had this been another show we would have had little to complain about.... for God's sake, there was a flyin' dragon laying waste to a city and fleet (finally).

Having said that, here's me usual overvalued tuppence worth. My The Good, The Bad and The Meh:

The Good:
    • Jaime and Tyrion's last scene. (I thought Tyrion was gonna get caught and killed)
    • Varys. Knew his time was coming. Well acted by Hill. (I know some thought he went too abruptly but I thought it was well done. His story was over)
    • Again, most of the production values (Although everytime you saw a soldier standing in front of a Scorpion it would look just slightly off).
    • Cleganebowl. It was such fanservice and OTT for a show that previously was quite realistic that I'll probably put it into "The Bad" too. :)
    • Thank f*ck that's the last we see of Euron.
    • Oh Dany, you finally realised that wooden ships might burn? (Again, don't know if it should go here or "The Bad"
    • Qyburn's death. Was pretty funny to see him go just like that :)

The Bad
    • The Golden Company we have heard all about. "Hold!... HOLD!... HOLLLLLD!.... Aw dammit we held too much and got burnt alive"
    • As stated above, Dany looks like she's just having a tantrum rather than her descent into madness. Nothing against Clarke. Just the way they wrote it.
    • As above: Cleganebowl. Somehow I can't see GRRM writing: "And The Mountain totally stood on the stairs like Darth f*cking Vader without his helmet while a fire-breathing dragon flew behind him and then later stood at the same spot and pulled out the sword like a f*cking Uruk-hai while the sun set behind him". "And then they fell into the flames with The Hound yelling "Wheeeeere's myyyyyyy chickennnnnnnn?"
    • Arya's horse
    • Jon Snow: Wow, I'm so sad and confused.
    • Jaime and Cersie's death.

The Meh
    • Arya's story was pointless (No pun intended). I know Cersie was on her List but she only really seemed to be there to show the devastation. I didn't dislike it as much as some but thought it would have been better coming from Davos' POV or something. I suppose it was to put Dany on her List.

So as I was writing this, especially about Cleganebowl, it did occur to me HOW much the show has changed over the years (Especially the last two). While a certain amount is down to the more fantastical elements coming to a head, the general tone has shifted a great deal:

Previously Cersie was a power hungry elite who was, while terrible, was still a recognisable human: She was genuinely hurt by Robert's love of Ned's sister. Now she was practically twirling a mustache while her city burned (Admittedly until Dany got close to The Keep).

Davos was a smuggler. Went to great lengths to let everyone know he was a smuggler and not a warrior. Suddenly there he is at Jon's side at the head of the army.

Characters got killed in sudden and unexpected ways. Now white horses appear out of the fog to save them.

People fought in muddy fields surrounded by crap and rain and bushes and trees. Now they pose on towers.

Once again, I'm coming across as overly harsh. I still enjoyed the show but, once again, it was 90% down to pacing.

tldr: Enjoyable but style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Was he not the main target for the NK in the Battle of Winterfell? Every character can't be involved in every plot in a show as expansive as GOT, surely?

He's not every character. He is the memory of the world. He knows everything that ever happened and everything that is happening now. Possibly everything that is going to happen in the future.

There is a reason why characters that powerful don't usually exist in good fantasy without limitations. While Bran is still alive, none of this makes any sense. Nobody, including Tyrion, who had a sit-down chat with Bran, are have paid any attention to his powers and how it might help them.

Why did Bran insist on Jon knowing his parentage? That suggests to me that he is not above interfering in the "game of thrones". But why the hell is he stopping there? (Unless the writers have some twist up their sleeve for Episode 6, but i've given up trying to second guess them at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Daith

Why did Bran insist on Jon knowing his parentage?

Cos Jon was riding his Aunt?

Why did Bran insist on Jon knowing his parentage?

'cos Bran is a dick!

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    Cos Jon was riding his Aunt?

In the grand scheme of things, with the Night King's army on their doorstep, you think that was a pressing issue?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm assuming now that Tyrion's long chat with Bran had no significance. I mean what could they possibly have talked about? "Oh by the way Tyrion your Queen is going to kill every living thing in Kings Landing". Not that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think it was kind've funny that Euron fought Jaime with a knife. Probably would have been better to watch Euron and Jaime have a proper sword fight but I liked that fight.

mewso wrote: »
    I'm assuming now that Tyrion's long chat with Bran had no significance. I mean what could they possibly have talked about? "Oh by the way Tyrion your Queen is going to kill every living thing in Kings Landing". Not that anyway.

They didn't have time to discuss anything of significance, because Tyrion was meeting his mates for drinks at 7.30.

mewso wrote: »

Nope. It was:

Bran: You have a part to play. As do we all. Your queen may fly high but that is because the land beneath her is ash. As possibly the most powerful person in the world, I will sit here in The North because I'm concerned with the world and not mere man. For I am the three-eyes raven and I fly even higher than your ash queen.

Tyrion: I need a drink. Liamo?... I mean Davos? Where are ya?

Either that or:

Bran: They left me in front of the fire. Even though I am probably the most powerful person in the world I am confined to this room because everyone is fed up of my babble.

Tyrion: And rightly so. Fat lot of good you were, warg-boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Is it not a case that he can't see anything in the south because they chopped down most/all of the Weirwoods?
      That's generally how he's supposed to see things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Tazzimus wrote: »
      Is it not a case that he can't see anything in the south because they chopped down most/all of the Weirwoods?
      I do remember in the books he could see through the trees. Thinking about that now though, was there a tree nearby when Jon was being born?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Meh. I think the writing in the last episode was so bad it ruined this week for me. Drogon effectiveness in this episode was how we'd been built up to expect the dragons to be for 7 seasons of the show, but it looked utterly ridiculous after watching Deus Ex Euron make such easy work of killing Rhaegal in the previous episode.

If we cut Euron out of the last two episodes and Rhaegal had appeared in this episode we could have had a more realistic "burn them all" / mad queen motivation for Danaerys. Have the dragons wipe out the fleet, the golden company and all the scorpions on the walls, land on the wall (as Dany and Drogon did) and wait for the bells to ring. Have the bells begin to ring and the audience (Tyrion, Jon et al) sigh a breath of relief that Dany isn't going to go mad only for a previously un-noticed scorpion within the walls of the city (maybe another one on the back of a wagon like Bronn used last season?) take out Rhaegal. Have the crowd cheer at the death of her "child" and watch Danaerys go ape **** *then*: show the ****ing motivation for it.

Jaime's character got assassinated in a few short episodes. His sleeping with Brienne made sense. His return to Cersei made sense. Both happening in the space of two episodes with no screen-time showing his internal struggle to choose one of the two paths before him made no sense at all.

As a self-contained episode this isn't anywhere near as bad as the ratings have it. It falls down completely, however, because of the **** writing in the past few episodes and how inconsistent the internal logic of the show has gotten. The varying effectiveness of the scorpions, the power and agility of the dragons and their fire, the plot/fan armour of some of the characters, Euron's entire storyline. None of it makes sense within the world they spent 6 seasons building.

And for those who think the complaints are excessive? Just wait until Benioff and Weiss get their hands on Star Wars (assuming Disney don't cancel their contracts based on their ruining of what should have been one of the greatest television shows ever).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

When last week they were beheading Missandei, they had some scorpions set up and loaded (at least 7). Drogon was lazing about in the background, Dany was nowhere near him, instead at the head of the group. Why not just kill him then? It made zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Weepsie wrote:
      When last week they were beheading Missandei, they had some scorpions set up and loaded (at least 7). Drogon was lazing about in the background, Dany was nowhere near him, instead at the head of the group. Why not just kill him then? It made zero sense.

Out of range, presumably.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dial Hard wrote: »

He was closer than Rhaegal was to Euron's ship and he landed him square through the meaty parts twice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dial Hard wrote: »

Rhaegal was killed in full flight from what looked (on camera) a similar type distance if not further.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rhaegal was caught off-guard (somehow). Drogon was prowling and aware in the background, he probably could've dodged them if they had fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

J. Marston wrote: »
      Rhaegal was caught off-guard (somehow). Drogon was prowling and aware in the background, he probably could've dodged them if they had fired.

They have also shown that they were quite slow taking off before so I'd question if he could dodge them, given how accurate they were used previously.
      Couple this with it showing that Cersei didn't really care much for the 'rules' of war and would have been more than happy to fire there and then if it meant winning.

But who are we kidding when it comes to continuity in the show in recent seasons :(

The scorpions should have been just a continuation of how they were used in Season 7, an inaccurate but deadly weapon. Only effective if used in a mass volley or very close distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Tazzimus wrote: »
      He saw Lyanna giving birth in the Tower of Joy and there wasn't a Weirwood in sight. My understanding of it is that Weirwoods are like wifi routers. As long as you're plugged into one, you can see the whole world. There's a Weirwood in with fast broadband in Winterfell :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sleepy wrote: »
      If we cut Euron out of the last two episodes and Rhaegal had appeared in this episode we could have had a more realistic "burn them all" / mad queen motivation for Danaerys.
      They had to have Rhaegal die otherwise Jon would have been riding him into battle and no way would Jon have gone on a burn them all spree. You could see how appalled Jon was at Dany's actions but there was fcuk all he could do about it on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sleepy wrote: »

If we cut Euron out of the last two episodes and Rhaegal had appeared in this episode we could have had a more realistic "burn them all" / mad queen motivation for Danaerys. Have the dragons wipe out the fleet, the golden company and all the scorpions on the walls, land on the wall (as Dany and Drogon did) and wait for the bells to ring. Have the bells begin to ring and the audience (Tyrion, Jon et al) sigh a breath of relief that Dany isn't going to go mad only for a previously un-noticed scorpion within the walls of the city (maybe another one on the back of a wagon like Bronn used last season?) take out Rhaegal. Have the crowd cheer at the death of her "child" and watch Danaerys go ape **** *then*: show the ****ing motivation for it.

Yeah, that actually works a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Paddy Cow wrote: »
      He saw Lyanna giving birth in the Tower of Joy and there wasn't a Weirwood in sight. My understanding of it is that Weirwoods are like wifi routers. As long as you're plugged into one, you can see the whole world. There's a Weirwood in with fast broadband in Winterfell :pac:
      Yeah his powers in the show seem to be a bit different to the books.
      Book Bran used the trees to see, hence having trouble in the south where they were turned into firewood.

Show Bran can see without them, except when the plot needs him not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He can see without them in the books too as Bloodraven told him.
      The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Weepsie wrote: »

Problem would be, if you miss, you'll have a very pi$$ed off dragon, and Cersei directly in the line of fire, rather than tucked away in the Red Keep where she assumed she'd be safe

Advertisement