Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I get all that but still, I don't believe Dany would burn innocent children alive whether she lost the plot or not. This is the same woman who locked up her dragons when she thought Drogon had burnt one innocent child alive. The same woman who had a traumatic childhood. The same woman who liberated hundred of thousands from tyranny. The same woman who said she didn't want to be Queen of the Ashes.

Now we're meant to believe all of that doesn't matter anymore because she's losing her loved ones and is becoming increasingly isolated. On top of all that they had Jon rejecting her which is portrayed as being the one chance gone to save Dany from what she's about to do - sure she just needed the love of a good man to help her from losing the plot.

She's the mad queen who was probs being poisoned by varys sure

It was all a bit silly imo. I'm not one for criticising it and I'm still into what happens at the end but like. The missile laser javelins suddenly don't have a zero reload time and she can dodge. And since flying into them worked so well last time, let's do it again.
    Let's all stop and stare at each other outside the walls. Here's my sword? Why? Why not sure, it's tea time and i don't feel like fighting today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

razorblunt wrote: »
    That’s already been proven false though.

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

bluewolf wrote: »
    She's the mad queen who was probs being poisoned by varys sure

It was all a bit silly imo. I'm not one for criticising it and I'm still into what happens at the end but like. The missile laser javelins suddenly don't have a zero reload time and she can dodge. And since flying into them worked so well last time, let's do it again.
    Let's all stop and stare at each other outside the walls. Here's my sword? Why? Why not sure, it's tea time and i don't feel like fighting today

For all the money the show has you'd think they'd expand the scale. It's such a shame everything was compressed into one season.
    It took Rob the best part of 2 seasons to march south, against serious opposition from the Lannisters.

Jon can do it and take KL in a single episode.

Personally I would have had a season dedicated to the NK and Danys descent into madness.

Then a final season with Dany v Cersei, then Dany v whoever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

jebidiah wrote: »
    Really?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Loved it.
    There i said it.

Plot armour- dont care
    Plot holes- dont care
    Fan service- dont care

Was i entertained?
    Fcuk yea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

The Night King isn't looking so bad now, is he? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Why does Bran have no role in any of this. The writers should have killed him in episode 3. It makes no sense that he is not somehow intervening in this

Is Bran still loyal to anyone? Maybe it's his job not to intervene in non Night King events. He can't die obviously because the memories of the world, or whatever it is, would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

dsmythy wrote: »
    Is Bran still loyal to anyone? Maybe it's his job not to intervene in non Night King events. He can't die obviously because the memories of the world, or whatever it is, would too.

Maybe, or maybe the writers don't know what to do with him.

He seemed very insistent Jon know about his parentage. Why? Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

The NK episode was easily one of the worst episodes in the series. This one was far better, by a mile. Still with it's own issues, but this season has been dire for the most part. From season 5 GOT just went downhill and it's no coincidence that it's when it surpasses the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolute trash.

To think I quibbled the long night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

He was about as effective as Cersei.

He allegedly killed half of Danys army but there was plenty of them left for this episode because, whatever, it doesn't matter. Cersei's guys killed maybe a handful of people during their utter annihilation.

Both Big Bads turned out to be nothing because we need to have Jon murder Dany next episode because DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNNNNNN! she was the Big Bad all along.

This is some subversion of expectations! Multi-Emmy worthy stuff right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Golden Company were pretty shįt tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Golden Company were pretty shįt tho

It was nice to see the dragon just let off the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

abff wrote: »
    I get the whole Mad Queen thing, but the timing was ridiculous. She sat there catching her breath until the bells started ringing to signify their surrender and THEN she decides what the heck, I'm going to kill them all anyway. AND i'm going to completely destroy my capital city and my army and all the other various people who have helped me. Because, who needs subjects when you've got a dragon? Right?

Sums up my thoughts exactly!! Quite pissed off at the way it played out. That on top of the inconsistencies.

Now that I'm calming down a bit after just watching it I guess they had to make her go completely bat **** genocidal so all the few remaining characters will turn on her (except grey worm) in time for the last episode.

All set up now for Arya to top the Mad Queen and John to die somehow along with the last of the dragons.

I think the crack that was shown sundering the map was a sign of things to come.

Top marks for production quality again though. Did like the pockets of wildfire kicking off. That was a nice nod to the past is a megalomaniac way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The Iron Bank must be getting ready to give a big loan to whoever takes the throne to fund rebuilding KL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Barna77 wrote: »
    The Iron Bank must be getting ready to give a big loan to whoever takes the throne to fund rebuilding KL
    How do the Iron Bank have any money left? They gave a huge loan to Stannis which he obviously defaulted on when Brienne beheaded him. They gave another to Cersei, which again they're not getting back. They must charge some level of interest to be able to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Barna77 wrote: »

Conspiracy Theory: It was the iron bank that rang the bells as they knew Danny suffered from kampanaphobia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Essos bank guarantee.
    The bank always wins :D

Anyway, not sure if I'm happy about how they killed Cersei.
    Jamie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

This season almost seems like a soft reboot where they just ignore things from earlier seasons that don't suit them.
    Jaime saying that he never cared about the people, when we know that he chose to forever carry the burden of being a kingslayer in order to save them.
    Jon repeatedly saying this season that he bent the knee so Dany would fight beside them against the night king, even though she had already vowed they would destroy the white walkers together before he bent the knee.
    In earlier seasons this would be a seed for Sansa to find out later he had lied to her, but now it's just treated as if it's fact.

The whole thing feels like a studio getting Michael Bay to come in and direct the last act of a Ken Loach movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

It would have been good to see Ed Sheeran the Lannister Soldier & his mates getting barbecued on the battlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

What a giant pile of dragon sh1t this show has become - I was literally scratching my head and asking why for most of that episode.

Dani is now Hitler/Stalin, Jon is a complete and utter idiot, Jaime is a joke, Tyrion and Varys are now the dumbest people in Westeros and Euron can't aim anymore.

Visually stunning but from a writing perspective this is now Westeros 90210.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    How do the Iron Bank have any money left? They gave a huge loan to Stannis which he obviously defaulted on when Brienne beheaded him. They gave another to Cersei, which again they're not getting back. They must charge some level of interest to be able to keep going.

they are going to get the people of Ireland to bail out the Iron bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Was that your one from AC3 Kate in LoD tells to piss off in the most recent season?

That's her, a brilliant put down it has to be said.
    She has the look of a Miley Byrne about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Keyzer wrote: »
    What a giant pile of dragon sh1t this show has become - I was literally scratching my head and asking why for most of that episode.

Dani is now Hitler/Stalin, Jon is a complete and utter idiot, Jaime is a joke, Tyrion and Varys are now the dumbest people in Westeros and Euron can't aim anymore.

Visually stunning but from a writing perspective this is now Westeros 90210.

An episode where the only characters in it that come out with credit are Arya and The Hound.

Not forgetting the characters that weren't actually in the episode; Sansa, Tormund, Brienne, Pod, Gedry, Hotpie, the new Maester of Winterfell who's name I never learned, Ghost, Bran, Bronn and Gilly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

lawlolawl wrote: »
    He was there so that Arya could omae wa mou shindeiru the Night King whilst he stood gaping at his vintage wheelchair.
    Which could have been resolved then by having the king stick his sword into Bran's chest, Bran holds on to it as Arya, the hidden ninja, cries her battlecry after sneaking through all the WWs to stab him as Bran stops him from getting his sword out in time to block. The Night King and the three eyed raven story line resolved but that would stop us from seeing John tell Bran to tell his sisters and cut away from it all; I mean that scene was critical to have Bran in after all :rolleyes:...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It would have been good to see Ed Sheeran the Lannister Soldier & his mates getting barbecued on the battlements.

He got barbequed on the Gold Road. It was referenced in the brothel scene before Qyburn recruited Bronn to kill Tyrion & Jaime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not sure if my expectations have been lowered by the previous two episodes but I though that was a big step-up.

Intense.

This was my take on it too.

I enjoyed it for what it is now, there's no way they can get back to the quality of the earlier seasons. They left way too much to do in 6 episodes, they should have had the battle with the dead in the last season and then the battle for the throne in the final 6 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

One thing the really annoyed me was when Dany was attacking the iron fleet was that Eurons ship was the only one trying to fire on her. In the last episode multiple scorpions fired multiple spears but suddenly only his could? When she was doing the flyover last night and burning the ships scorpions were clearly visible on the other ships. Either have them all fire at her or just have his ship as being the only one with the scorpion, simple continuity stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

One thing the really annoyed me was when Dany was attacking the iron fleet was that Eurons ship was the only one trying to fire on her. In the last episode multiple scorpions fired multiple spears but suddenly only his could? When she was doing the flyover last night and burning the ships scorpions were clearly visible on the other ships. Either have them all fire at her or just have his ship as being the only one with the scorpion, simple continuity stuff.

That was pretty lame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

One thing the really annoyed me was when Dany was attacking the iron fleet was that Eurons ship was the only one trying to fire on her. In the last episode multiple scorpions fired multiple spears but suddenly only his could? When she was doing the flyover last night and burning the ships scorpions were clearly visible. Either have them all fire at her or just have his ship as being the only one with the scorpion, simple continuity stuff.

Yep it's off. No problem with her and Drogon coming up with battle plans, being more prepared but it just felt too easy.

I think Drogon getting somewhat injured, might have helped Dany becoming Mad more too. Or having Rhaegal still alive then dying during this ep.

Advertisement