Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Options

Comments

Pretty good episode. After hating the first four, I'm glad Dany went mad and in spectacular fashion. It's been talked about for years and it was done properly.

The white horse at the end, though.. That was really out of nowhere and was way off tone compared to the rest of the episode. Her new target is either on the ground around KL or in the air. She doesn't need a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

awec wrote: »
    Why did Tyrion tell Dany about Varys?

Because he was his dear friend and also because of reasons.

Who knows. Whatever. Here's more explosions and shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rawn wrote: »
    Pretty sure Valerion steel cuts through armour quite easily compared to regular swords.

Why?

Why?

A wizard did it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why?

I think that's just part of the lore. We don't really need to understand why, right?

It's like dragon glass killing white walkers.

• Advertisement

I think that's just part of the lore. We don't really need to understand why, right?

It's like dragon glass killing white walkers.

It's lighter and stronger than regular steel. I don't recall anything about it "relatively easily" cutting through armour though. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere.

One thing I forgot to ask a question about earlier. What was with the brief shots of some wildfire exploding and then nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Well that was ****! Ok Mad Queen, yeah it's been on the cards but was rushed. Jaime ridiculous really. Cleganebowl hmmmm not much else to do, it was always something that people over hyped. Maybe if Clegane had saw the fire below and made the decision knowing how to kill big bro then it's a better send off but ok.
    Tyrion betraying Varys is out of character and what exactly did he do other than find out info. Jon standing idly by also??? Really? He left Ygritte because of his honour and duty but his little fling with his aunt means he now stands by and does nothing?
    Writing has been terrible for some time now. It's all about the spectacle now.
    I've been rewatching for the last few weeks and the writing was just so much better and subtle and planned. Last few seasons just so glaringly bad in comparison. They didn't have the budget for battles and had to be so much more clever. Having the books clearly helped also.
    Can't wait for the remake in 20 years time :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's lighter and stronger than regular steel. I don't recall anything about it "relatively easily" cutting through armour though. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere.

One thing I forgot to ask a question about earlier. What was with the brief shots of some wildfire exploding and then nothing?
    I don't think this was important story wise, which is why nothing was really made of it.

The Mad King had wildfire stashed in the City during his reign, and if I remember right there were caches of it hidden that were never found during searches. I'd guess they've now been found...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

I get the whole Mad Queen thing, but the timing was ridiculous. She sat there catching her breath until the bells started ringing to signify their surrender and THEN she decides what the heck, I'm going to kill them all anyway. AND i'm going to completely destroy my capital city and my army and all the other various people who have helped me. Because, who needs subjects when you've got a dragon? Right?

I don't think this was important story wise, which is why nothing was really made of it.

The Mad King had wildfire stashed in the City during his reign, and if I remember right there were caches of it hidden that were never found during searches. I'd guess they've now been found...

Not Chekhov's wildfire then?

Could have saved on that bit of CGI and allowed everyone get 20 more seconds of Ghost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

abff wrote: »
    I get the whole Mad Queen thing, but the timing was ridiculous. She sat there catching her breath until the bells started ringing to signify their surrender and THEN she decides what the heck, I'm going to kill them all anyway. AND i'm going to completely destroy my capital city and my army and all the other various people who have helped me. Because, who needs subjects when you've got a dragon? Right?

She was looking at the Red Keep which symbolised everything her family lost.

Daith wrote: »

Yes, but that was a completely bull**** contrivance.

Her life since season one has been reclaiming the throne and protecting the innocent. The complaint is that seeing the Red Keep just isn't a good enough explanation for her deciding to become a tyrannical war criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wailin wrote: »
    Yep, it's the hip thing now to hate this show isn't lads....ffs. Pack of sheep it seems.

Great episode of television in my opinion and after the disappointment of the NK episode, a welcome one.

I reckon it’s people who blindly accept the complete bull**** it’s turned out are the real sheep.
    As great as the dragon scene was it was an utter farce after last weeks episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes, but that was a completely bull**** contrivance.

Her life since season one has been reclaiming the throne and protecting the innocent. The complaint is that seeing the Red Keep just isn't a good enough explanation for her deciding to become a tyrannical war criminal.

No, it's seeing her dragons die, it's seeing her trusted adviser die, watching the North reject her in favour of Jon, it's seen Jon betray her by telling Sansa about his parents, it's seeing Tyrion tell Varys, Varys betraying her, it's Jon withdrawing from committing his love to her.

Her mission since season 1 has been a fairy tale of going home to the people who eagerly await her and well.

The moral of the story is: bitches be crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭PIORUN

someone watched inside the episdoe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Blazer wrote: »
    I reckon it’s people who blindly accept the complete bull**** it’s turned out are the real sheep.
    As great as the dragon scene was it was an utter farce after last weeks episode.

Well this season has been fairly poor, like last season, but this episode was easily the highlight so far. The pacing was spot on, acting very good, set pieces top notch, great music. Tyrions scene with Jamie was great in fairness. It's a tv show remember, not a blockbuster movie.

Set pieces aren't the problem. The show has always been good at them. The problem is some people appear to either confuse the show with a Michael Bay movie, or refuse to understand or accept that other people (perhaps incorrectly) have slightly higher expectations from it. The best part of the show has always been the depth of its characters and, in this episode, what they did with Jaime was unforgivable in my book. The man literally killed his king to save a city. His reveal of this to Brienne was incredible. Yesterday we got "I never really cared for the innocents" or whatever it was.

r/freefolk really does deliver the goods this season btw

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Twice I had to remind myself that I was watching an episode of a TV show. An unbelievable piece of visual storytelling, deserving of every award it's likely going to win. The sound design and score are top notch, no TV show has ever come close to it.

All betrayed by the writing decisions; forced, rushed and one-trick. Made to get a cheer from someone with green hair and a dodgy fringe in a bar somewhere.

The show mostly died with S5 with some brilliant episodes and scenes dotted here and there. I'll watch the next episode out of curiosity and will probably read the books should they ever come out. But I'll look back on the series overall with disappointment, of what could have and should have been. It should have been Sapranos or Breaking Bad-esque. Instead we got bad poosey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

No, it's seeing her dragons die, it's seeing her trusted adviser die, watching the North reject her in favour of Jon, it's seen Jon betray her by telling Sansa about his parents, it's seeing Tyrion tell Varys, Varys betraying her, it's Jon withdrawing from committing his love to her.

Her mission since season 1 has been a fairy tale of going home to the people who eagerly await her and well.
    Jon didn't betray Dany. She has been power made since the end of season 1 and convinced that the Iron Throne is hers by birthright. Jon having a better claim knocked her off her perch and she had no right to demand that he doesn't tell his family who he really is. She doesn't care about Jon, the people or anything but power. I'm glad they made her the mad Queen because she's been an annoying self-righteous pain in the ar$e for ages. I'll only regret it if she BBQ's everyone and she gets the throne in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I get all that but still, I don't believe Dany would burn innocent children alive whether she lost the plot or not. This is the same woman who locked up her dragons when she thought Drogon had burnt one innocent child alive. The same woman who had a traumatic childhood. The same woman who liberated hundred of thousands from tyranny. The same woman who said she didn't want to be Queen of the Ashes.

Now we're meant to believe all of that doesn't matter anymore because she's losing her loved ones and is becoming increasingly isolated. On top of all that they had Jon rejecting her which is portrayed as being the one chance gone to save Dany from what she's about to do - sure she just needed the love of a good man to help her from losing the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Initial reaction. 10/10 holy ****, this is some television show.

Dany cracking and burning the city totally took me out of the moment, as it didn't make sense at all. But after that I completely forgot about it, brilliant episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

As a TV spectacle it was outstanding. I'm loving Dany going crazy and burning them all...but her descent into madness could have been epic and handled so much better rather than not eating for a few days and having bed head!

They ruined Jaime's character. That was rubber stamped last week when he got with Brienne. People and animals pop up all over the place in westeros now. .and in places they're
    exactly meant to be and at the exact right time! .Euron, white horses etc etc it's magic!

Really enjoyed the episode for what it was. Left my brain at the gates of kings landing. The show has gone off tangent for a while now. Just gonna try and enjoy what's left of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What a **** ending for Cersei.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did Varys pass something to Tyrion before the execution. He hid his rings in the dish on the table too I'd hazard a guess his rings were glamour charms.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Hopefully that's the last we see of Arya. She has suffered enough. Ever since the red wedding all I've wanted for her is revenge but as the Hound said, that road only leads to one place.

I am going to imagine that she rides off and finds peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Episode 3 - Dany - I must save the realm
    Episode 5 - Dany - Burn them all

Talk about a rushed story

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

lertsnim wrote: »
    What a **** ending for Cersei.
    In keeping though with the "anyone can die" theme of the books, should character deaths actually be dramatically satisfying? Should they end with some sort of point?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Did Varys pass something to Tyrion before the execution. He hid his rings in the dish on the table too I'd hazard a guess his rings were glamour charms.

I forgot about that. Why show it? Chekov's rings?!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭letowski

With so much work to do in six episodes I think they've done an alright job, but clearly this season should have been a ten episoder.

To the people saying this isn't how GRRM will finish the series - I have to disagree. Mad Queen Daenerys has certainly been hinted at.

Agreed this is probably GRRM's ending too, or similar.

One thing for sure, this definitely has been the showrunners ending since season two at least. They even showed us.

https://twitter.com/labellepainter/status/1127763393782349824

Advertisement