Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

CFC007 wrote: »
    Ha thanks! I’ve the Nikola Pro chrome delete on the way, will be wrapped in Satin black plus the windows are getting tinted. Should be a good look

Do we have to notify our insurer here when we Tint windows? Saw on the uk forums its recommended. One guy was even charged £70 additional premium.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1 thing I’m interested in hearing from those who’ve taken delivery of their car is the Re-Gen braking!

How does it feel using only 1 pedal?

My worry (having not test driven a Model 3 yet) is if your we’re driving along on the M50 or wherever, and the natural tendency I’d have to take foot completely off the gas and coast (driving Auto’s the last 15 years) if you saw slower moving traffic ahead. Will the car stop with urgency in this situation, or will it coast down slowly?

I’d be worried I’d be 5 minutes out of the showroom on the M50 and suddenly braking hard(ish) by completely lifting off the gas without thinking about easing off the gas slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

There seems to be a lot of cosmetic issues with the cars. Is this normal for other makes or is it lack of quality control/ demand for this car. I wouldn't be happy spending all that money and the product not being perfect

1 thing I’m interested in hearing from those who’ve taken delivery of their car is the Re-Gen braking!

My worry (having not test driven a Model 3 yet) is if your we’re driving along on the M50 or wherever, and the natural tendency I’d have to take foot completely off the gas and coast (driving Auto’s the last 15 years) if you saw slower moving traffic ahead. Will the car stop with urgency in this situation, or will it coast down slowly?

I’d be worried I’d be 5 minutes out of the showroom on the M50 and suddenly braking hard(ish) by completely lifting off the gas without thinking about easing off the gas slowly

It's actually really intuitive to drive this way. Regen breaking is one of the coolest part of Teslas. You will get the hang of it after a couple of minutes. It isnt sudden like breaking real hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Regenerative braking isn't all that powerful compared to some other EVs, like the Leaf. There are also two settings, Low and Standard. Choose Low if you prefer coasting like an ICE vehicle. I prefer Standard but would have liked more powerful braking.

Also note that while the battery is cold you have pretty much no regen, which makes it behave more like an ICE vehicle with automatic transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

While I have not driven the M3 yet I have driven the Leaf (wife’s car) and the Ioniq, as soon as you start to lift your foot off the car will slow to remind you-
    Tesla has two regen settings just go with the lesser one until you get more familiar

physioman wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of cosmetic issues with the cars. Is this normal for other makes or is it lack of quality control/ demand for this car. I wouldn't be happy spending all that money and the product not being perfect

I've only ever bought new Lexus cars and they were perfect. I think Tesla skip on the usual pre delivery inspection that normal dealerships carry out. Alot of stuff gets fixed up before the buyer sees the car.
    Tesla seem to work on the model that some people will just take the car as is and they can save on fixing the issues. Plus they are always under pressure with time constraints and late deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

That the 7.5m one?

Do you mind me asking how much the installation was?
    Yeah, 7.5m. Plenty of room to reach the car and it wraps around the charger nicely when not in use. Haven’t actually paid for the installation yet as I’m waiting to get the priority unit installed, but I’ll post an update once it’s all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭sk8board

CFC007 wrote: »
    Yeah it did take away from the experience but it will get sorted.

I don’t think they will polish out. The drivers wing had a pin dent and there was a circle blemish under the clear coat. I don’t have a trained eye for paintwork but had a led work light with me. I had to give the car a wipe with a micro fibre as it wasn’t the cleanest.

Oh ludicrous plus has been hit already 🀣🀣

I’d consider that to be terribly disappointing for such an expensive car. Very poor panel alignment in that first picture at the headlight side too, it’s almost lifting out.

Even in a minuscule size market like Ireland it seems like 15-20% of ALL deliveries require service work post delivery? And that’s just the ones we read about. A constant flow now.

I really want to buy an LR or P and not another new ICE car, but this is complete and utter nonsense lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sk8board wrote: »
    I’d consider that to be terribly disappointing for such an expensive car. Very poor panel alignment in that first picture at the headlight side too, it’s almost lifting out.

Even in a minuscule size market like Ireland it seems like 15-20% of ALL deliveries require service work post delivery? And that’s just the ones we read about. A constant flow now.

I really want to buy an LR or P and not another new ICE car, but this is complete and utter nonsense lads.

I've an interest in the Y, but the I'm amazed at what people are willing to accept in terms of Quality control. The panel and paint issues shouldn't occur on any mass produced car by a volume manufacturer, at any price point. If people are accepting shoddy work, where's the incentive for Tesla to get things right. I'm slightly optimist that by the time the Y arrives and has a decent run in, that the non American produced cars will have better QC.

• Advertisement

I've an interest in the Y, but the I'm amazed at what people are willing to accept in terms of Quality control. The panel and paint issues shouldn't occur on any mass produced car by a volume manufacturer, at any price point. If people are accepting shoddy work, where's the incentive for Tesla to get things right. I'm slightly optimist that by the time the Y arrives and has a decent run in, that the non American produced cars will have better QC.

Those issues are happening in every mass produced car. They get sorted before the customer sees it is the only difference. Tesla stand over their cars and after sales service is second to none in this Country. Shipping a car from the other side of the world it's a miracle if it doesn't get a ding or a scuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Those issues are happening in every mass produced car. They get sorted before the customer sees it is the only difference. Tesla stand over their cars and after sales service is second to none in this Country. Shipping a car from the other side of the world it's a miracle if it doesn't get a ding or a scuff.

That’s a fairly big distinction. Tesla shouldn’t be relying on the customer to do their final QA... after delivery. And besides, it not like cars are being produced locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

For those who collected their cars already, how do you do the visual inspection? Do you ask for time to inspect it or do they invite you to? Are they standing over you or do they give you time and space?

That’s a fairly big distinction. Tesla shouldn’t be relying on the customer to do their final QA... after delivery. And besides, it not like cars are being produced locally.

It is a fairly big distinction but Tesla are not a traditional manufacturer either. At least you are forewarned before you order as to potential issues with delivery thanks to the info here and other places. Personally if their is an issue with paint / panels etc I would feel more comfortable seeing the damage before it's fixed. At least you know the true extent before it gets fixed. It's very very annoying on a delivery day though.

It is a fairly big distinction but Tesla are not a traditional manufacturer either. At least you are forewarned before you order as to potential issues with delivery thanks to the info here and other places. Personally if their is an issue with paint / panels etc I would feel more comfortable seeing the damage before it's fixed. At least you know the true extent before it gets fixed. It's very very annoying on a delivery day though.

I’m not buying that reasoning for a second.

Tesla are merely hoping customers won’t notice the flaws in the quality when they take delivery of a €65k new car (cause they’ve never had to check this stuff before With other new cars), and Tesla will then swallow the cost of the people who notice it, because they’ve been fortunate enough to read about it online somewhere

That persons M3P above arrived with a pin dent, bad paint and what looks like poor panel alignment, another one a few days ago had a boot so misaligned that it dented the rear bumper(!) and so on and on - that’s not something that happens to €65k cars shipping them ‘halfway around the world’ - it’s happened at the assembly line, pure and simple.

This British Leyland QA attitude will work with the current batch of early adopters, but when it comes to true mass market volume, people simply won’t bite; especially when one of the other manufacturers gets off their ass and delivers a similar car for a similar price.

I’m not buying that reasoning for a second.

Tesla are merely hoping customers won’t notice the flaws in the quality when they take delivery of a €65k new car (cause they’ve never had to check this stuff before With other new cars), and Tesla will then swallow the cost of the people who notice it, because they’ve been fortunate enough to read about it online somewhere

That persons M3P above arrived with a pin dent, bad paint and what looks like poor panel alignment, another one a few days ago had a boot so misaligned that it dented the rear bumper(!) and so on and on - that’s not something that happens to €65k cars shipping them ‘halfway around the world’ - it’s happened at the assembly line, pure and simple.

This British Leyland QA attitude will work with the current batch of early adopters, but when it comes to true mass market volume, people simply won’t bite; especially when one of the other manufacturers gets off their ass and delivers a similar car for a similar price.

Stick to V W so. I hear they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Also note that while the battery is cold you have pretty much no regen, which makes it behave more like an ICE vehicle with automatic transmission.

You’ll get used to it very quickly but the last thing Sabre Man is very important. Your first part of the drive when the battery is cold will have very little regeneration. As it warms up, you’ll get a little more regen. Then suddenly it’ll be warm enough and wham! Regen will kick in at full force. That caught me by surprise a few times!

That’s a really childish response. Tesla are a company, not a cult. People should be able to point out legitimate criticism like really poor QC without people responding like children.

Your answer to everything related to Tesla QC is to ‘stick to VW’. It’s a pretty weak argument in a discussion about QC.

This is a model 3 discussion thread - it’s not just an appreciation thread. We’re all here because we aspire to own one, but not necessarily at any price.

I don’t even own a vw :) (although I had a mk V gti back in the day, probably my favourite ever).

Your answer to everything related to Tesla QC is to ‘stick to VW’. It’s a pretty weak argument in a discussion about QC.

This is a model 3 discussion thread - it’s not just an appreciation thread. We’re all here because we aspire to own one, but not necessarily at any price.

I don’t even own a vw :) (although I had a mk V gti back in the day, probably my favourite ever).

Don't like them then don't buy one. Have you driven one? Alot of my concerns about the issues you bring up melted away when I bought a used S without even seeing it in the flesh. It had the worse paint I'd ever seen and a rear door you could for your little finger through when closed. As soon as I drove it i wasn't bothered in the slightest.
    I corrected the paint after a while and never looked back.
    The point I am making to you in all posts is that if you try to measure a Tesla visually against other Mark's you will never buy one.
    Have you driven one?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Don't like them then don't buy one. Have you driven one? Alot of my concerns about the issues you bring up melted away when I bought a used S without even seeing it in the flesh. It had the worse paint I'd ever seen and a rear door you could for your little finger through when closed. As soon as I drove it i wasn't bothered in the slightest.
    The point I am making to you in all posts is that if you try to measure a Tesla visually against other Mark's you will never buy one.
    Have you driven one?

That argument is nonsensical, you bought a 2nd hand car as you've said, that's different to a new straight out of the factory car. You expect wear and tear on a used car like you had. Buying a new car you expect it to be perfect or as near as damn it. That's the same whether you are spending €15k or €150k.

• Advertisement

lfc200 wrote: »
    That argument is nonsensical, you bought a 2nd hand car as you've said, that's different to a new straight out of the factory car. You expect wear and tear on a used car like you had. Buying a new car you expect it to be perfect or as near as damn it. That's the same whether you are spending €15k or €150k.

About as nonsensical as thinking complaining on the internet is going to change the way the highest valued car company in the world do things

Again have you driven one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

About as nonsensical as thinking complaining on the internet is going to change the way the highest valued car company in the world do things

Again have you driven one ?

This is a discussion thread, specifically about Tesla Model 3, people talk about their car and experiences good and bad. No one has come on here thinking they are talking to Musk and expecting anyone from Tesla to read it. If you want to read only brilliant things about Tesla and how wonderful they are and that everything is perfect with them all the time a discussion forum probably isnt the place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 donogh5

This is a discussion thread, specifically about Tesla Model 3, people talk about their car and experiences good and bad. No one has come on here thinking they are talking to Musk and expecting anyone from Tesla to read it. If you want to read only brilliant things about Tesla and how wonderful they are and that everything is perfect with them all the time a discussion forum probably isnt the place for you.

Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable question: have you driven one?

Of course everyone is entitled to express their opinions, but it affects the credibility of your argument if you haven’t actually tried the car.

That’s true of nearly everything in life: criticising a place you’ve never been to, disliking a food without having tasted it, etc.

It’s definitely fair to say build quality is important. It’s also worth pointing out that Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction rating of any car brand.

If build quality is your number one priority, then sure, get a German car. It seems like only a minor part of the experience to me.

I’m waiting on a model 3 delivery. Maybe I’ll hate it. But all signs point to it being next level compared to traditional manufacturers, and I’m pretty sure I’ll love it.

As a fellow Liverpool fan about to watch the match I genuinely hope that nobody spends 50 to 65k on a tesla in the expectation that it will be perfect. It won't. Even if you get a car with above average build quality there will be software issues, reboots and internet searching of known issues required. They are very finicky and things will randomly stop working without explanation or reason. Every time your car receives an update you will wonder are they going to unintentionally break something. The rain sensing wipers are worse than any car in the planet and over time will annoy you more than any paint defect.
    I have previously posted about not having mine for 8weeks in 18 months of ownership. I know the good, the bad and the ugly of owning these cars.
    Having had so much bother with one I'm still buying another because they are simply incredible to drive.
    Again...please don't buy one with your hard earned cash if you cannot live with this stuff. I genuinely mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The bit I don't get is why Sandyford and other Tesla centres around the place.

Dont check the cars properly before hand over to the customer.

They all know the issues as they get the cars either back to fix or rejected over issues.

Old diesel wrote: »
    The bit I don't get is why Sandyford and other Tesla centres around the place.

Dont check the cars properly before hand over to the customer.

They all know the issues as they get the cars either back to fix or rejected over issues.

It happens in all their SC in every Country by the looks of posts on Facebook etc. The only thing that makes sense is that it's an upper management dictat. I don't agree with it but it is what it is. They probably know statistically how many people are likely to refuse the car having had to wait for it.
    Given the lack of supply they also know they can allocate it to someone else. ****ty way to do business but the service lads are second to none once you take ownership. I often thought the sales management team could learn something from the dept. that run the Service side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have you driven one?

I am with you on this one, everything about it is a commodity item, they dont make a pretense like the other brands. I have had shocking paint on all sorts of cars. Look if your driving one as it should be driven there will be a half dozen stone chips on in 1000km anyway. I dont think its the kind of car that you do a 1000 euro PPF on..keeping it fresh for the next man. Every car I ever hads saw paint before delivery. They all get damaged in shipping. My car has a small chip and a small scuff, not worth the effort to fix, everything else is 100%. I took delivery of a Volvo Xc90 that needed 9 recalls in 3 years, had airbag system that went haywire, the paint was holographed from a dealer applied "ceramic coating" and the rear bumper had seen filler and paint from a delivery related bang...I will take tesla any-day, at least I know whats what. I used to moderte car detailing forum, I am particular about a clean, un swirled car, but I just cannot get worked up about minor imperfections.

Did the center console wrap. Easy enough. Hairdryer needed to get it round the cup holder area. Some little bubbles will need "pop with pin later". The gloss black was already getting scratched so this is a good mod. Much easier than youtube would have you believe.

Updated the software in the car and now my good satellite maps are gone, seems you have to pay for them which is fine...but they are yet to roll out the ability to pay. Well played Tesla. ;:

20200126-114916.jpg
    20200126-114908.jpg

First fast charger experiance very easy ESB charger in Blanchardstown. Used the CCS. Was charging for about 30 minutes and cost me 12 euro which is pricey enough, a full charge would be in the region of 25-30 euro, however the privileged parking space alone was worth the cost of the charge. Very hassle free experiance.

Screenshot-20200126-153210-Tesla.jpg
    20200126-153145.jpg
    baby name creator online

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You're lucky you could charge there on a Sunday, that was virtually impossible without waiting before charging for charging came in two months ago
    a full charge would be in the region of 25-30 euro

Not quite. Your Model 3 has 73kWh available right? If you were pushed there with a dead empty battery and left with a 100% full battery, it would cost you 73 * 29c = €21

Still a good bit cheaper than petrol / diesel and as most EV owners you will do most of your charging at home for the night rate of just 8c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

unkel wrote: »
    You're lucky you could charge there on a Sunday, that was virtually impossible without waiting before charging for charging came in two months ago

Not quite! Your Model 3 has 73kWh available right? If you were pushed there with a dead empty battery and left with at 100% full battery, it would cost you 73 * 29c = €21

Still a good bit cheaper than petrol / diesel and as most EV owners you will do most of your charging at home for the night rate of just 8c

33c per kwh so 73*33 = 24 euro + an overstay fee of 5 euro cause the lines in Crispy Cream are biblical. :)

I agree home charging is where its at if your not on a roadtrip, but I just wanted to give it a try to see whats what. Guy in a PHEV took my spot afterwards...I spat at him the filthy casual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

Updated the software in the car and now my good satellite maps are gone, seems you have to pay for them which is fine...but they are yet to roll out the ability to pay. Well played Tesla. ;:

That doesn't sound right. You should have one year free premium connectivity included with the performance model which would have the satellite maps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement