Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Got the generic email everyone else got last week, requesting SEAI forms etc are filled out. Submitted everything and heard nothing back. Not even a confirmation that everything is in order. So i'll follow up today at some point. I'm assuming as I don't have a delivery date (and loads of people do), I won't be getting a car in the next batch of deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    19" Sport wheels are now available to order again with a new Model 3 as a €1,600 upgrade from the 18" aeros. Probably would of went for these if they had of been an option last October.

Me too :(
    That's a bit crap. I think someone posted a link to a site that sells very similar ones for a fraction of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Genuine question (as someone who is definitely not a car aficionado), why do people go for 19 or 20 over 18" wheels? Aren't 18" the most comfortable drive? What's the advantage of the others? Is it purely aesthetic?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

kev22185 wrote: »
    I'm assuming as I don't have a delivery date (and loads of people do), I won't be getting a car in the next batch of deliveries?

I only ordered last Saturday, and was told when I called this week that it would be end of February/early March for expected delivery. The guy said there'll be loads of stock coming to Ireland as the U.K. comes to the end of its registration period in April, so they won't be delivering too many cars in the next few weeks, so we should see a surge in deliveries here in Q1. I'd guess when they do start delivering to the masses here, the notice periods will be quite short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Genuine question (as someone who is definitely not a car aficionado), why do people go for 19 or 20 over 18" wheels? Aren't 18" the most comfortable drive? What's the advantage of the others? Is it purely aesthetic?

Purely aesthetic. Bigger wheels make the car slower to accelerate and make the ride less comfortable. And they are more expensive.

• Advertisement

big wheels look nice, but I'm more than happy with the 18" standard ones with the Aero hubcaps on them, and the wheels under the aero cap look fairly smart as well.

Question though: If you buy the bolt cap and Tesla centre cap kit for the alloy wheels and install them, will the aero hubcap still fit on over them? (I'd imagine they will).

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Genuine question why do people go for 19 or 20 over 18" wheels? Aren't 18" the most comfortable drive? What's the advantage of the others? Is it purely aesthetic?

Why wear flat shoes when high heels are so much better? Some people prefer the look of bigger metal wheels, at the cost of breaking them in potholes or getting kerb rash when parking. There might be an advantage if racing on a track...

Me, I'll take stock 18" all day long, though I draw the line at Aero Covers outside of road trips.

Edit: @AndyBoBandy - you need to pull out the centre cap to re-fit the aero cover - it clips in there (bolt covers are ok to stay on) - https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/zbm2q/s4/cover.jpg

aesthetic -> 100% for me. 18s are all the things you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jusmeig wrote: »
    Me too :(
    That's a bit crap. I think someone posted a link to a site that sells very similar ones for a fraction of price.

That was possibly me.

https://tsportline.com/collections/model-3-wheels

Much better value, especially considering the Tesla price doesn't give you any more wheels! If you buy these then you have the 18s for winter tyres.

edit: one of the Tesla Youtubers wrecked his Tesla 20s on a pothole. Aesthetics and ride quality aside, that's a very expensive ding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The larger wheels look far better. They make the wheel arch big enough to fit 20" wheels on the performance, so going down two sizes from that leaves quite a noticeable gap. That said, I wouldn't sacrifice the range on a SR+. At least with the aeros you can take them off if you want and put them back on for longer journeys. If I was going long range though I'd definitely order the 19s.

• Advertisement

The larger wheels look far better. They make the wheel arch big enough to fit 20" wheels on the performance, so going down two sizes from that leaves quite a noticeable gap.
    Eh, wut? The tyre diameter should be the same, there is no gap.

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Why wear flat shoes when high heels are so much better?

It's your car, not your wife :p

There is a very good reason Bjørn Nyland replaced the standard 20" wheels on his Model 3 Performance to 18" wheels. I would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

I only ordered last Saturday, and was told when I called this week that it would be end of February/early March for expected delivery. The guy said there'll be loads of stock coming to Ireland as the U.K. comes to the end of its registration period in April, so they won't be delivering too many cars in the next few weeks, so we should see a surge in deliveries here in Q1. I'd guess when they do start delivering to the masses here, the notice periods will be quite short!!

I'm very sceptical about this Andy. People in the UK are reporting VIN match within a few days of ordering since last week.

Electric cars are in this place right now where wheel size matters, because efficiency matters and wheel size affects efficiency.

Similarly with car shape.

So one of two things will happen. Either people will respond to this by abandoning their arguably pointless crossovers and SUVs, and their arguably pointless oversized vanity wheels, or they'll live with the range penalty.

I'm not immune to vanity, FWIW. There's a good chance that those crappy looking aero hubcaps are coming off the day I get my car. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Just got a mail from Cillian saying the grant is back so collection confirmed for Monday! Nice way to start a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

Lumen wrote: »
    That was possibly me.

https://tsportline.com/collections/model-3-wheels

Much better value, especially considering the Tesla price doesn't give you any more wheels! If you buy these then you have the 18s for winter tyres.

edit: one of the Tesla Youtubers wrecked his Tesla 20s on a pothole. Aesthetics and ride quality aside, that's a very expensive ding.
    US imports though? What about VAT and duty?

Has anyone ordered from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Just got a mail from Cillian saying the grant is back so collection confirmed for Monday! Nice way to start a week..
    Fantastic! When did Cillian first apply for the grant for you? - Just to get a sense of how long it actually took to process haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Grant in....going to get the car end of business today.

what's the trigger point for Sandyford to send off the SEAI application?

Is it car in country in their yard? car registered?

What are the SEAI forms like to fill in from our side? are they looking for much info?

well wear..

enjoy the 1,500km of Supercharging I gave you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

well wear..

enjoy the 1,500km of Supercharging I gave you...

Will indeed many thanks.

Something for the weekend, Sir? :D

Enjoy!

Fantastic! When did Cillian first apply for the grant for you? - Just to get a sense of how long it actually took to process haha

He applied for it 27th December but the SEAI didn’t start processing them until 6th January so bang on 15 working days

Will indeed many thanks.
    Happy Days -> U wont forget this Friday anytime soon :)
    Enjoy...

what's the trigger point for Sandyford to send off the SEAI application?

Is it car in country in their yard? car registered?

What are the SEAI forms like to fill in from our side? are they looking for much info?

Within a few days of your vin being assigned they’ll send you out a form to sign and a questionnaire on how you intend to charge the car etc. Think the questionnaire more for the SEAI stats than anything specific to your grant

AidenL wrote: »
    US imports though? What about VAT and duty?

I think it's 4.5% duty and 23% VAT on the declared value including shipping.

So for the 19s that's $2,060.00 (incl 300 shipping) x 1.045 x 1.23 x 0.91 = €2400.

Ouch!

I'm sure I worked out some cheaper options. Ah yeah, it was the Fast Wheels EV01 from Canada, aero wheels but nicer looking than the standard Tesla ones. They're only about 1000 CAD, but I can't find shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Great news! The SEAI are obviously moving. While you're there, check if there's a white LR AWD with a vin ending in 67.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

The video is about the Sudden Unintended Acceleration but jump to 5:40 where he shows the Emergency brake on a Tesla (first time I saw this)

The video is about the Sudden Unintended Acceleration but jump to 5:40 where he shows the Emergency brake on a Tesla (first time I saw this)

Cool! Didn’t know it had that feature either.

• Advertisement

Chaz76 wrote: »
    He applied for it 27th December but the SEAI didn’t start processing them until 6th January so bang on 15 working days
    Cool. My application was sent in on Jan 2nd so hopefully it’ll come in on Monday. Fingers crossed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement