Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ktulu123 wrote: »
    How are people getting to the final? Flights are a disaster. Trying to get the mother over for it. Thankfully its just another drive down the road for me :D

I would guess plenty of bus and boat will be set up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leo quoted on RTE website saying he doesn't believe Toner will miss RWC.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leo quoted on RTE website saying he doesn't believe Toner will miss RWC.

Not been negative but I wouldn't expet him to say anything less

depending on what happened it will still be swelled up so it might take a few days before they know the extend.....

Fingers crossed in the meantime.....it would be a huge loss to Ireland but I would relaly feel for Toner if he misses the WC

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not been negative but I wouldn't expet him to say anything less

depending on what happened it will still be swelled up so it might take a few days before they know the extend.....

Fingers crossed in the meantime.....it would be a huge loss to Ireland but I would relaly feel for Toner if he misses the WC

I think they would know straight away if it was more serious so think positive.

Think VDF needs to lend Dev his scrum cap. It seems to work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭antietam1

KH25 wrote: »
    To be fair, you were applying human standards to him. He’s not human.

Completely missed the match because of an exam, but i am enjoying some of the comments in the match thread :-D

You could get the full match on tg4 player, youtube later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

How are people getting to the final? Flights are a disaster. Trying to get the mother over for it. Thankfully its just another drive down the road for me :D

I'm flying into Edinburgh and taking the train to Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Using Joe Walsh Tours for a day trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭KH25

antietam1 wrote: »
    KH25 wrote: »
    To be fair, you were applying human standards to him. He’s not human.

Completely missed the match because of an exam, but i am enjoying some of the comments in the match thread :-D

You could get the full match on tg4 player, youtube later.

Cheers for that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

crisco10 wrote: »
    Bit harsh there, sexton only started in 09 cos the first choice (felipe) was injured.

If sexton was injured, Byrne would have started last week.

Sextons growth curve from 24 to 26 or so was huge tho

It wasn’t that clear cut. There was an argument for sexton to start that semi anyway - made by myself amongst others here - though yeah it was a long shot. He was going to be first choice the following year either way though and he was key to Leinster winning the league the year before.

Byrne is good but people really under-rate how good sexton was

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It wasn’t that clear cut. There was an argument for sexton to start that semi anyway - made by myself amongst others here - though yeah it was a long shot. He was going to be first choice the following year either way though and he was key to Leinster winning the league the year before.

Byrne is good but people really under-rate how good sexton was

It seems a lot of people “seen something in sexton” during 2009.

People love to knock Byrne but I prefer to think he has done exceptional well for his age. He has played a huge amount of minutes for Leinster this season, guided the team through the end of group stages and a qtr final in Heineken.

Carberry didn’t get a look in at 10 last year with Byrne till the irfu pulled rank and he started at end of season

I don’t think it needs to be a specific sexton v Byrne but I think people need to give Byrne a bit of a break....he has just turned 24, still very very young and at this stage he has huge experience

• Advertisement

24 isn't very young. He has not done "exceptionally" well by any stretch of the imagination. He is a good to very good fly half.

I don't think anyone is particularly ragging on Byrne are they? The chances of replacing Sexton with someone as good were infinitesimally low.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nobody's saying Byrne is a bad player. They're saying he hasn't exactly grabbed big games by the scruff of the neck and shown that extra spark. Which is true, he doesn't take a game and change it.

But saying he was better than Sexton at that age is a ludicrous claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Nobody's saying Byrne is a bad player. They're saying he hasn't exactly grabbed big games by the scruff of the neck and shown that extra spark. Which is true, he doesn't take a game and change it.

I think the first person who said he doesn't grab games was me. And it was encased in a much bigger compliment, which is that he wins plenty.

It is probably not clear what I meant over a text forum, but what I was actually saying is "even though I can't put my finger on what Ross Byrne is doing well, he is definitely doing something very well".

Based on the 2009 season and Sexton was getting dropped out of match day squad regularly as they preferred Isa/Contepomi.

Sexton's view: he admits now, “impatient” and “stroppy” in his early twenties. “I was always the eighth‑choice back for Leinster and I always needed one injury to get in,” he said.

After the 2009 game he went up the ranking very quickly....if you stuck both players side by side at 24. Forget all Sexton has done since. Really is it a ludicrous claim?

PS. I said slightly......maybe I should have same similar. I doubt much between them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Byrne is a very good 10, imo. Will he be test quality? I don't know, but he is doing a good job and I think can go further.
    I don't see the game breaking qualities of Carty or Carbury. But, he does his job and his tackling is very good. I think he could be a similar player to ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody here enter the Rugby Roulette and got their ticket allocation yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Using Joe Walsh Tours for a day trip!

€500 - rather you than me.

Took a gamble on flights in Feb and got a flight into Edinburgh on Saturday morning and home on Saturday night from Glasgow for €45, Megabus between Edinburgh airport and Glasgow is £10

Took a gamble on flights in Feb and got a flight into Edinburgh on Saturday morning and home on Saturday night from Glasgow for €45, Megabus between Edinburgh airport and Glasgow is £10

Have had three out of the last five weekends as sporting weekends away so wanted in and out on the same day and it was the cheapest choice for a day trip for this weekend that was available on Saturday evening when I needed to book. Don't really mind the cost as I can do without another full weekend away :)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Based on the 2009 season and Sexton was getting dropped out of match day squad regularly as they preferred Isa/Contepomi.

Sexton was in more matchday squads in 08/09 then he was in 09/10. He was absolutely not "regularly" getting dropped out of matchday squads.

He started the season as the first choice 10 and lost it after the head-to-head games against Castres. He played a game or two for Mary's in January but during and after the 6N was clearly the back-up 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Agreed. I would have been interested if it was a reasonable price, but that is madness in my opinion

• Advertisement

Agreed. I would have been interested if it was a reasonable price, but that is madness in my opinion

I have the money so am happy to pay it. Plus I have a sick family member that I can't afford to spend a night out of the country from so it worked for me, without me having to fret over the finer points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

I have the money so am happy to pay it. Plus I have a sick family member that I can't afford to spend a night out of the country from so it worked for me, without me having to fret over the finer points.

Go the whole Hogg and treat yourself to the hospatility package...

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/EDP/Event/Index/2750

degsie wrote: »
    Go the whole Hogg and treat yourself to the hospatility package...

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/EDP/Event/Index/2750

Why would I do that?

Good pun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Looks like there should be a good crowd there anyway, most of the stadium sold out. It's a terrible look for these games to have big patches of empty seats.

Dev unsurprisingly ruled out on the final. Further assessment on the knee injury this week.

Dev unsurprisingly ruled out on the final. Further assessment on the knee injury this week.

Fardy and Ryan
    Ruddock to cover 2nd row?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Is Molony injured at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think Molony is injured. He was with the squad in Newcastle and he was warming up on Saturday.

My team for the final:

1. Healy.
    2. Cronin.
    3. Furlong.
    4. Fardy.
    5. Ryan.
    6. Ruddock.
    7. VdF.
    8. Conan.
    9. McGrath.
    10. Sexton.
    11. Lowe.
    12. Henshaw.
    13. Ringrose.
    14. Larmour.
    15. Kearney.
    16. Byrne.
    17. Tracy.
    18. Porter.
    19. Molony.
    20. O'Brien.
    21. McCarthy.
    22. Byrne.
    23. O'Loughlin.

troyzer wrote: »
    I don't think Molony is injured. He was with the squad in Newcastle and he was warming up on Saturday.

My team for the final:

1. Healy.
    2. Cronin.
    3. Furlong.
    4. Fardy.
    5. Ryan.
    6. Ruddock.
    7. VdF.
    8. Conan.
    9. McGrath.
    10. Sexton.
    11. Lowe.
    12. Henshaw.
    13. Ringrose.
    14. Larmour.
    15. Kearney.
    16. Byrne.
    17. Tracy.
    18. Porter.
    19. Molony.
    20. O'Brien.
    21. McCarthy.
    22. Byrne.
    23. O'Loughlin.

Can't argue with that.

Only variation might be D. Kearney in at 14 with Larmour at 15 if Rob is unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is Molony injured at the moment?

He's been recovering from a back injury, I'm not sure if he's back to full fitness yet but I guess we'll only find out with the next injury update.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement