Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

errlloyd wrote: »
    I thought Jlowe was very effectively carrying at first near the ruck. He should play seven

I like it.

We missed a trick not converting SoB to inside centre years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Do you all think that Sexton will be a top level oh much longer?
    I don't think he will! Age is a factor. Bowe and Trimble went south very quickly. Anyway, it's just my opinion. Love it or hate it.

And ROG and dHumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

And still only 22 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah lads, Fogarty interviewed on Baz and Andrew's house of rugby. And he seems genuinely gutted they lost because of letting the fans down. He says it a bunch of times, and sounds really genuine about it. Gonna miss him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ah lads, Fogarty interviewed on Baz and Andrew's house of rugby. And he seems genuinely gutted they lost because of letting the fans down. He says it a bunch of times, and sounds really genuine about it. Gonna miss him.

Yeah, it did come across that way.

To be fair, the clear message from Leinster HQ seems to be "Do it for the fans". It's leaking out of everything the players and coaches are saying to press this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not sure if VDF is the right call for the semi. He's bound to be rusty and lacks game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've no problem with VdF starting. He's the one player you know has done everything possible to get himself in top condition for this game. He's an incredible athlete.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if munster think the can over power us with tight ball carriers then VDF is the perfect 7 to have in there. he will get off the line quick and tackle all day and brings them down very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Not sure if VDF is the right call for the semi. He's bound to be rusty and lacks game time.

The alternative is either Ruddock or Deegan playing out of position at 7. Not an awful prospect but this way, VDF gets a bit of game time and should be primed for the final, if we get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Current, but not this years! His age is getting up there. His injuries don't help. At this point, I think he's been sub par for the most part.

strange - I thought sexton had a near perfect first half of the season , a dip in form since Christmas but to suggest he's been sub par for most of the season , is beyond nonsense - after a good rest I think he'll be more than invaluable to any Irish WC challenge .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disregard the statement above. I am not a smart man!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭KH25

Disregard the statement above. I am not a smart man!
    To be fair, you were applying human standards to him. He’s not human.

Completely missed the match because of an exam, but i am enjoying some of the comments in the match thread :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wexforllion

Leinsters best

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Am fairly confident for next week, if Leinster maintain the intensity of the past 2 weeks they should win. Should be a great occasion for an Irish rugby team getting to play a final in Celtic Park so wouldn't have too many worries about players being able to lift themselves for one last performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That was very pleasing.

What a difference VdF makes. Streets ahead of SOB these days. Such a shame last weekend was a weekend too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That was very pleasing.

What a difference VdF makes. Streets ahead of SOB these days. Such a shame last weekend was a weekend too soon.

Such a shame that chance last week didn't fall to the front row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Any word on big Dev... Cant imagine he'll play next weekend.

scott1974 wrote: »
    Any word on big Dev... Cant imagine he'll play next weekend.

He Walked into the huddle at the end...

But still

Dont expect him for next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ross Byrne never really takes a game by the neck. Other than the odd Crossfield kick he rarely creates something incredible. His goal kicking and touch kicking are only alright.

Even still he has a superb record of winning games. Absolutely superb.

Ross Byrne never really takes a game by the neck. Other than the odd Crossfield kick he rarely creates something incredible. His goal kicking and touch kicking are only alright.

Even still he has a superb record of winning games. Absolutely superb.

Agreed, my main gripe at half time was the way he didn't grab the game by the scruff....

He's better than he played today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

His touch kicking is generally top class, I would have said. He never really dominates a game or impacts in the way that Sexton did when he entered though. But he never really has a bad showing either. He makes good decisions and passes well. He's also a very strong defender and a very composed player generally. I'm still happy enough with him as the heir apparent although it will be interesting to see how his brother fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

sydthebeat wrote: »

He Walked into the huddle at the end...

But still Dont expect him for next weekend

Me neither; such a shame for the big man.

He missed a Pro 14 final a couple of years ago when his father passed away the night before and it would be really unfortunate for him to miss another.

From a team perspective, we could really do with him next Saturday as he's one of our most consistently reliable 80 minute players who rarely if ever has a poor game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Buer wrote: »
    His touch kicking is generally top class, I would have said. He never really dominates a game or impacts in the way that Sexton did when he entered though. But he never really has a bad showing either. He makes good decisions and passes well. He's also a very strong defender and a very composed player generally. I'm still happy enough with him as the heir apparent although it will be interesting to see how his brother fares.

You have to remember he is only 24, still very young player. He is also surrounded by a team of internationals so he probably does sit back a little bit.

I would wait and see, he is still learning and no better man to teach him than Sexton and Contepomi.

He is a quality player, probably a little further ahead if you done a comparison to Sexton 24 and Byrne 24.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You have to remember he is only 24, still very young player. He is also surrounded by a team of internationals so he probably does sit back a little bit.

I would wait and see, he is still learning and no better man to teach him than Sexton and Contepomi.

He is a quality player, probably a little further ahead if you done a comparison to Sexton 24 and Byrne 24.....

Sexton was 23 when he was the starting 10 in the Heineken Cup winning team in 2009, and was fighting with ROG for the starting shirt for Ireland that season. The following season of 2010/2011 he was talked about as the best outhalf in Europe, and don't forget it was 2011 when he lead the comeback against Northampton....

So in summary, Sexton was miles ahead of Byrne at 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sexton was 23 when he was the starting 10 in the Heineken Cup winning team in 2009, and was fighting with ROG for the starting shirt for Ireland that season. The following season of 2010/2011 he was talked about as the best outhalf in Europe, and don't forget it was 2011 when he lead the comeback against Northampton....

Sexton (1985) Byrne (1995)

Sexton is 10 years and a few months older so the season would be 2008/2009 when sexton was 24

He was 24 in July 2009, Byrne was 24 in April this year

Your comparing the 2009/2010 season....

So is Sexton 2008/2009 miles better than Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Bit harsh there, sexton only started in 09 cos the first choice (felipe) was injured.

If sexton was injured, Byrne would have started last week.

Sextons growth curve from 24 to 26 or so was huge tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That was very pleasing.

What a difference VdF makes.

Reckon you should change your username to vantheman ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

How are people getting to the final? Flights are a disaster. Trying to get the mother over for it. Thankfully its just another drive down the road for me :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement