Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rewatched last nights game. I posted in the match thread that I felt the score line flattered Munster a bit. A few disagreed with me, err, vehemently but on second watch I'm utterly convinced we kept them in the game.

We blew so many attacking lineouts on halfway/Munsters 10 metre line. We had very little attacking platform all game because of that. And we blew a try through indiscipline on Munsters line after that lovely Sexton chip though early in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

There’s no way Kelleher will start over Herring for Italy. Farrell is conservative and has shown that by only selecting Doris and reverting to our old back row against England when he got injured. I think it was the right decision Stander and O Mahoney still the best options even if they don’t gel well at international level.

But Herring although he offers less in the loose offers more at lineout time. It is imperative someone hopefully Cullen sits Kelleher down and addresses the mental side of his throwing. Reassurance would go a long way as I think he is feeling pressure and it is showing in the timing of his throws which are way off the jumper.

Ultimately, he needs to feel he has time to get it right and rushing him into the Ulster and Italy game right now might not be the best option when looking at the need for him to have a lengthy career. It could bring his progression to a thundering halt and he might be benched for the next few months if he falls to pieces against eithe Ulster or Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

CMcsporty wrote: »
    I think Cronin is done at international level.

Kelleher is already the best open field hooker. 22 years old. Head on his shoulders.
    He should be straight in v Italy.

Starting hooker for one of the best sides in Europe.
    Will be packing down with an all Leinster front row.
    Will be throwing to at least 1 Leinster jumpers.
    Stronger than other options.
    Better turnover threat than other options.
    Better off-loader than any other options.

No idea about scrummaging ability. Played 14 senior games? I’m sure he’s going to improve.

Ireland side in general is also desperately in need of fresh blood.
    He’s a very safe bet.

That was a reference to the Italy game which effectively ended his international career. I think he may even struggle to stay ahead of Tracy much longer.

There’s no way Kelleher will start over Herring for Italy.

You are reading far too much into last nights game and ignoring the obvious context of this being the first match in nearly half a year.

We scored not one, but two tries from our lineout.

Herring may well start ahead of Kelleher, I guess we'll have to see how he gets on today. Suggesting that Farrell is conservative with exactly three match sheets to his name is a bit silly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I was pretty happy with the attacking play in the match. The difference between Leinster and Munster was night and day. Players running into space, forwards being able to draw and pass. I thought we could've kicked more effectively, our garryowens and box kicks weren't great, and I'd like to see more of the offensive grubbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 DeHood123

I think Cronin is done at international level.

Kelleher is already the best open field hooker. 22 years old. Head on his shoulders.
    He should be straight in v Italy.

Starting hooker for one of the best sides in Europe.
    Will be packing down with an all Leinster front row.
    Will be throwing to at least 1 Leinster jumpers.
    Stronger than other options.
    Better turnover threat than other options.
    Better off-loader than any other options.

No idea about scrummaging ability. Played 14 senior games? I’m sure he’s going to improve.

Ireland side in general is also desperately in need of fresh blood.
    He’s a very safe bet.

Im sorry but scoring a few try’s versus dragons and ospreys 3rds team last year during the World Cup doesn’t jettison Kelleher into starting role for Ireland

From what I’ve seen he’s been incredible flaky throwing
    Had a few over throws for Ireland off the bench during 6 nations
    Very poor last night from touch
    All the hookers don’t get free passes but he seems to

Nowhere near the finished product
    People need to calm down on him

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DeHood123

Kelleher throwing wasn’t the problem yesterday.
    He’s plenty good enough.

Leinster lineout was disjointed and Munster were excellent at attacking it.

First game in 5 months!

He over threw 2 and clearly under threw one
    His throwing was poor, call a spade a spade

Yes one or 2 dodgy calls but we lost 5 lineouts and he’s to shoulder blame like all hookers do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Most worrying thing is Leinsters inability to slow opposition ball down...it’s all well and good Will Connors making 20 tackles in 10 seconds but it’s all wasted effort when you could’ve just slowed the ruck ball down and made one tackle in that time. They need more threats to opposition ball at ruck time , Cj single handedly shat on our entire pack at ruck time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Most worrying thing is Leinsters inability to slow opposition ball down...it’s all well and good Will Connors making 20 tackles in 10 seconds but it’s all wasted effort when you could’ve just slowed the ruck ball down and made one tackle in that time. They need more threats to opposition ball at ruck time , Cj single handedly shat on our entire pack at ruck time

We were getting hammered by the referee at the breakdown. There was a clear approach for us not to contest in those closing stages. I don't think that was coincidence. Cullen and Sexton both commented on the rucks after the match.

It was a 2 point game for about the last ten minutes. Let them have the ball and trust your line speed.

I'm surprised that there was no movement to look at a drop goal from Munster to give them the win. JJH was taking it to the line and throwing an inside pass when intercepted so it wasn't near his mind either.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

KH25 wrote: »
    That Stander call was blatant and a very poor decision. Conan definitely came in from the side so that was fair. I also couldn’t understand the Healy one. It looked like the ball was there to be won?

Did Healy drop it and have another go, couldn't quite hear the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Clegg wrote: »
    Rewatched last nights game. I posted in the match thread that I felt the score line flattered Munster a bit. A few disagreed with me, err, vehemently but on second watch I'm utterly convinced we kept them in the game.

They had better possession and territory. Driven by better set-piece and much better ruck efficiency. We gave away nearly twice as many penalties.

The only place we really beat them was on clean breaks, as their centres didn't really function in defense.

Kinda match stats that paint a picture of a sobering loss, but we won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

errlloyd wrote: »
    They had better possession and territory. Driven by better set-piece and much better ruck efficiency. We gave away nearly twice as many penalties.

The only place we really beat them was on clean breaks, as their centres didn't really function in defense.

Kinda match stats that paint a picture of a sobering loss, but we won.

and the scoreboard...

I thought we were better in the scrum, but considering it was Loughman and Archer against Healy and Porter, that's no great surprise.
    The breakdown was a mystery to me, new interpretations will take some getting to used to but Munster definitely adapted quicker.
    The only really bad part of the set-piece was the lineout, but a relatively inexperienced hooker and a new second-row, not entirely unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I felt that Munster played a number of elements far better than Leinster. They were clearly better at the ruck and their kicking game was top quality. But I also felt we showed far more incision and were a lot more clinical, despite a good few unforced errors. Our scrum was a distance better, their line out was a distance better. But at the end of the day the fact that we were more incisive and clinical proved decisive.

It was a quality game given the break. The SF should be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

One thing for sure is that Munster needed the win more. Leinster will be much better next time from touch. The back 3 will be schooled on defending the high kicks. Lowe was rusty, he will be much better. We should not read to much into first game, normally would have 3 or 4 warm up games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

and the scoreboard...

I thought we were better in the scrum, but considering it was Loughman and Archer against Healy and Porter, that's no great surprise.
    The breakdown was a mystery to me, new interpretations will take some getting to used to but Munster definitely adapted quicker.
    The only really bad part of the set-piece was the lineout, but a relatively inexperienced hooker and a new second-row, not entirely unexpected.

Part of their adapting quicker was plain ol getting away with it too though.

Leinster have had more than their fair share of it in the past so I appreciate the swings and roundabouts of it all.

But to ping our guys for sealing off an attacking ruck 5m from their line but not penalise them for the same (multiple occasions) in the lead up to their first try just has that element of luck about it.

I'm not too worried about the breakdown going forward. But we will need to keep a closer eye on CJ who was just poaching everything at will. Was actually the best game he's has against Leinster in a long while. We normally tend to have his number.

I did enjoy Sexton just bullishly putting the shoulder in time and again on him and fronting up in the tackle. Was pleasing to watch.

EDIT: and just to add this. Ultimate rugby put up CJs stats and he had 16 carries for 9 meters. CJ commented on the post joking he is going nowhere fast which was pleasing to see the banter. But also shows Sextons performance as I counted at least 5 of CJs carries that were at Sexton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Murray K
    Leinster confirm Cian Healy, Josh van der Flier and Johnny Sexton all available if needed against Ulster, having taken knocks versus Munster.

Tadhg Furlong [back] and Rhys Ruddock [quad] are possibles.

Dan Leavy won't be available this weekend as his recovery continues.

Dave Kearney's hamstring injury "requires further assessment this week."

Leinster expected to make wholesale changes for the Ulster game.

Vakh Abdaladze has had surgery on his back and will be further assessed in the coming weeks.

Fingers crossed that the tighthead prop can finally get over this longstanding issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think we're better off keeping Ruddock and Furlong out of the the side if they aren't 100%. You'd rather they have some game time going into the semi final but better to be safe.

Leinster have come out of the weekend in far better shape than Munster. Snyman and Kilcoyne require MRI scans and Kleyn a deep imaging scan in his neck. The latter seem to have come out the worst of all the provinces for injuries.

17 months down the line and Leavy still isn't back in full training.

I'm really struggling to believe he's going to be the same player after such a cataclysmic injury.

If he's not going to be involved this weekend, I'm not sure we'll see him at all in this campaign. Better to let him ease back in with some Pro14 matches rather than knock out intensity immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    17 months down the line and Leavy still isn't back in full training.

I'm really struggling to believe he's going to be the same player after such a cataclysmic injury.

If he's not going to be involved this weekend, I'm not sure we'll see him at all in this campaign. Better to let him ease back in with some Pro14 matches rather than knock out intensity immediately.

Leavy can feature in the A interpros if available.

rumoured Leinster side for Ulster game:

1. Ed Byrne(26)
    2. Sean Cronin(34)
    3. Tadhg Furlong(27)
    4. Ross Molony(26)
    5. Devin Toner(34)
    6. Josh Murphy(25)
    7. Will Connors(24)
    8. Max Deegan(23)
    9. Jamison Gibson Park(28)
    10. Ross Byrne(25)
    11. Cian Kelleher(26)
    12. Ciaran Frawley(22)
    13. Rory O'Loughlin(26)
    14. Hugo Keenan(24)
    15. Rob Kearney(34)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So that's 15 changes I think.

So that's 15 changes I think.

Yep 7 of the bench from Munster start: Ed, Cronin, Toner, Deegan, Connors, JGP, RB.

Not too surprising but I did think they might go for a little more continuity for a couple of areas.

It will be interesting to see what team Ulster put out. They'll have an eye on Edinburgh but they also need to shake off last weekend. I can see a handful of changes for them. Madigan going to start, I'd guess with AB at 9.

Hope Kelleher / Keenan go well. Back three definitely an area where we're a bit sparse.

3 hamstring injuries for leinster backs... issue with s&c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

3 hamstring injuries for leinster backs... issue with s&c?

Byrne did his during lockdown.

Kearney did his going full-tilt in a match for the first time in six months.

McFadden has had recurring and serious hamstring issues for two years.

So, no.

Byrne did his during lockdown.

Kearney did his going full-tilt in a match for the first time in six months.

McFadden has had recurring and serious hamstring issues for two years.

So, no.

McFadden's is his calf.

Conor O'Brien is the other and I think you are quick to dismiss the possibility.

4 leg soft tissue injuries in the squad.

Wasn't COB a long standing issue that required correction? They wanted to do it months ago but couldn't due to non essential procedures being postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Him being the player he was pre-injury was always going to be a big ask, even getting back to a position he can play seems a huge achievement.. thanks Wiehahn Herbst :(

Exactly. It would be sufficient just to see him back pain free & running again.
    No way anyone would be putting expectations on him in Leinster. Im sure its very much week by week and hopefully a game by game recovery for him over the next 3-4 months.

Not fair to be blaming the Ulster players for the injury.
    Stupidly WR & the referees were not enforcing the laws for years. Allowing people to be smashed out of the way was a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Herbst was released immediately following the game.. hardly a coincedence.

There was rumours of Herbst leaving for months before the game, linked to the Bulls. As early as January of that year.

Some stretch to say he was released by Ulster because of that incident and somehow walked into a Bulls contract immediately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement