Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

His last game was the Champions Cup final.

Was it? :eek: I must confess that I didn't even notice him on the pitch.

But if it was, then regrettably, my observation regarding his Leinster career ending with barely a whimper still holds true.

(Mind you, I also didn't realise that Ross Byrne hadn't come on until I read it in the papers on Monday. Probably because I was still seething at Luke's game-changing instant of pure insanity on the 40 minute mark.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Good from June, as its a residency requirement, not a playing requirement. :)

Yeah I know it’s residency I was asking when he arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

SOB out of RWC. Hip surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

That leaves VdF as a super critical player for Ireland for RWC.
    Cant afford for him to get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Devastated for him. He deserved the chance to go after this tournament and sign off on his international career in a way that did it justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

ongarite wrote: »
    That leaves VdF as a super critical player for Ireland for RWC.
    Cant afford for him to get injured.

Our openside depth has been decimated. We're one injury away from having uncapped players in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not his first hip issue. If I was Declan Kidney, I'd be considering my options. 6 months is a long time to have a new signing out for when he's 33 next season.

Awful shame for SOB and he deserved to sign off from Irish rugby in a better fashion. His body is simply ruined by the manner in which he played the game for his first 5 seasons or so. The collisions he took and the ferocity he played with were always going to impact on his availability. Alas, that's what made him so special as a player and one of the best players this country has produced.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I actually heard earlier on today that he was to retire instead of move to LI, but didn't want to post it as it was just talk.

But now that this has been announced it wouldn't surprise me at all.

With all due respect to him, London Irish would be mad to throw money at him now.

Buer wrote: »
    Not his first hip issue. If I was Declan Kidney, I'd be considering my options. 6 months is a long time to have a new signing out for when he's 33 next season.

Awful shame for SOB and he deserved to sign off from Irish rugby in a better fashion. His body is simply ruined by the manner in which he played the game for his first 5 seasons or so. The collisions he took and the ferocity he played with were always going to impact on his availability. Alas, that's what made him so special as a player and one of the best players this country has produced.

LI will definitely want to do an entry medical but I’d say they’ll err on the side of keeping him around, even if its unlikely he can make a big impact on the field for a while. They’ll have a few new heads and they need personalities

troyzer wrote:
    Our openside depth has been decimated. We're one injury away from having uncapped players in the team.

Not a hope. If VDF was injured they would either bring in Murphy at 7 or accommodate Stander, POM and Conan together just as they did for the final Australian test.

Even after that, we'd be looking at bringing Ruddock in and playing Stander or POM at 7.

• Advertisement

VDF is absolutely vital purely because of how good he is. We don’t have another 7 who can play like him.

If we’re playing a team who are going to keep possession for long periods and we need someone to lead the defensive line every phase (Wales/SA/England) then we’ll need him.

In terms of depth we can definitely fill that jersey with experience in his absence though.

troyzer wrote:

Not a hope. If VDF was injured they would either bring in Murphy at 7 or accommodate Stander, POM and Conan together just as they did for the final Australian test.

Even after that, we'd be looking at bringing Ruddock in and playing Stander or POM at 7.

I meant into the Ireland squad.

Nordi is going for me anyway. If VdF gets injured in the warm up, Joe is going to have to bring the likes of Deegan to Japan.

troyzer wrote:
    Nordi is going for me anyway. If VdF gets injured in the warm up, Joe is going to have to bring the likes of Deegan to Japan.

Stander, POM, Conan, Murphy, Ruddock. After that, I would imagine someone like Reidy gets a call based on recent experience in squads.

troyzer wrote:

Stander, POM, Conan, Murphy, Ruddock. After that, I would imagine someone like Reidy gets a call based on recent experience in squads.

You have one openside of that five. Reidy is a 6/8. Deegan isn't an openside either but he's currently transitioning there by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

troyzer wrote: »

Ireland biggest game will be QF , needs to be more of less wrapped up and fit for South Africa - will need him for Scottish game , Jordi should do a job against Japan.
    In 2019 Leavy is a bigger loss than SOB, back in the day SOB was beast of a player, wish we had that guy , the one from the last Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Devastated for him. He deserved the chance to go after this tournament and sign off on his international career in a way that did it justice

It's a bitter pill alright, noone can say he didn't make every effort the last couple of years. I think he is still lucky though to have had such a great career. These really competitive backrow forwards are doomed to short careers, I think he did well to last as long as he did(and he'll still have a shot at English club rugby) I grew up with him, played with him, know his family. He gives back and supports underage and club rugby every week despite his busy career. Very humble guy, I would love to see him coaching in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

SOB’s unfortunate injury probably doesn’t change this, but during the World Cup are we going to be looking at Penny and Will Connors at 7 so? Maybe Deegan at stages too.

On the face of it, you must say that we’re looking pretty light. We will probably be fine during the World Cup, but if VDF picks up another injury we could struggle...especially in Europe.

SOB’s unfortunate injury probably doesn’t change this, but during the World Cup are we going to be looking at Penny and Will Connors at 7 so? Maybe Deegan at stages too.

On the face of it, you must say that we’re looking pretty light. We will probably be fine during the World Cup, but if VDF picks up another injury we could struggle...especially in Europe.

I'd say it'll be Penny and Connors yeah. And that's going to be better than most teams in Europe could hope for during the world cup, they're both extremely good prospects.

When you consider they can use the time to give game time to the academy locks, we could have Fardy at 6 as well at times. Really looking forward to seeing who can put their hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

I'd say it'll be Penny and Connors yeah. And that's going to be better than most teams in Europe could hope for during the world cup, they're both extremely good prospects.

When you consider they can use the time to give game time to the academy locks, we could have Fardy at 6 as well at times. Really looking forward to seeing who can put their hands up.

Is fardy eligible for Australia in the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Is fardy eligible for Australia in the World Cup?

Eligible yes but not within their own rules where overseas players need to have 60+ caps, not sure that’s the figure but something like that.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote:
    You have one openside of that five. Reidy is a 6/8. Deegan isn't an openside either but he's currently transitioning there by the looks of things.

POM, Ruddock and Stander have all played openside at test level against top tier opposition. They've a far better chance of playing there than Deegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ruddock scored and played in the team which beat SA at home, I remember it well as sitting right beside the try position

• Registered Users Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Love James Lowe :D:D

ETCR2rF.jpg

bpYFypo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lovely video. Watching it highlights just how long it has been since we've seen SOB at his best in blue...literally years. The speed and power in the loose is something I don't think we've enjoyed for several seasons now.

Injury has robbed him of what should have been his peak years. There have been so many great days in Irish rugby over the past 5 years and he has been present for very, very few. Involved in only one of the 6N titles (and missed game time that campaign too), missed the double with Leinster (actually missed every one of Leinster's 4 league title wins since 2013) not there for winning in SA, the series win in Australia or either NZ win. I hope he gets back on the field and has some sort of decent end to his career as it's a terrible shame for such a talent to finish up in Irish rugby with so many missed days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Here's a mad option. What about Ferg at full back?
    He's a great kicker, reads game well, good footballer and better defender than some others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He's a great kicker, reads game well, good footballer and better defender than some others...

Mad yes

Will it work, no

D Kearney, A Byrne etc have all player FB and better options

Ferg will migrate towards 12 now as the speed goes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not much experience there. does he have speed for it if changing position 12 would be better use for him. There also is younger options who have more experience at 15 recently who would be better use

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads celebrating in the Bridge with the trophy tonight, some clips popping up on players Instagram stories. Should be a loooooong night

• Advertisement

Jesus that's a tough watch. I'm all weepy now.

I hope he becomes a full time coach. He'd be an unreal forwards or defense coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement