Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

From what I've been reading a lot of players are currently on a break or in partial training. I'm resigned to the *hope* that by September we can have live games again and even then I'm dubious.

I'd tend to agree - We might get some Inter-Pro games a bit earlier as warm-ups but can't see competitive rugby again until September/October.

On the plus side , for a lot of front line players this is the longest break they've had in years so hopefully they get to recharge the batteries , clear up any niggles and come back refreshed and re-energised.

This break might extend the careers of a few players.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree - We might get some Inter-Pro games a bit earlier as warm-ups but can't see competitive rugby again until September/October.

On the plus side , for a lot of front line players this is the longest break they've had in years so hopefully they get to recharge the batteries , clear up any niggles and come back refreshed and re-energised.

This break might extend the careers of a few players.

Yeah we aren't getting any sport this side of the summer, we will be lucky if we get any before Christmas to be honest. I'm getting the impression that "large gatherings" are the last thing that will be allowed back, CMO and others seemed disinclined to even considering any return for sport when asked yesterday about it.

Which means sport could be left waiting on a vaccine before it is allowed back.

How sporting bodies deal with this before commencing a "new" season when you are already several months in to the new season will be a challenge. I can see 19/20 being finished off by playing playoffs etc and 20/21 domestic season being one leg only, ie either the home or away match without a return. Europe just having 3 group matches before the next stage. So they can start 21/22 as normal on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

From what I've been reading a lot of players are currently on a break or in partial training. I'm resigned to the *hope* that by September we can have live games again and even then I'm dubious.

I did post already about the Sexton interview

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster have just put up a video of Larmour's 5 best trys. You sometimes forgot just how outrageously talented a runner he is. He can step off either foot which is rare enough. The fact that he doesn't lose any speed doing so is rarer still.

https://youtu.be/apNWL33HL6A

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster have just put up a video of Larmour's 5 best trys. You sometimes forgot just how outrageously talented a runner he is. He can step off either foot which is rare enough. The fact that he doesn't lose any speed doing so is rated still.

I've watched him since a kid, he used to play on same team as my son, he was so good even then , once even at half time when they were walloping another team, the opposing coach approached and said would we take of larmour - was done - and the second half was pretty even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He's so good to watch. Such a shame the season is panning out the way it is. I've no doubt we'll win loads more trophies in the coming years but this season was looking special.

Leinster have just put up a video of Larmour's 5 best trys. You sometimes forgot just how outrageously talented a runner he is. He can step off either foot which is rare enough. The fact that he doesn't lose any speed doing so is rarer still.

He is class and you still have pages full of people complaining about him....

His try against Munster is one of the best I've ever seen. Nothing particularly notable about the try itself, just that it was scored against Munster.

Watching the 2011 final

Heaslip was such a clever player, both Sexton first tries he made blocking runs to allow players break. He was such a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭A-Train

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Watching the 2011 final

Heaslip was such a clever player, both Sexton first tries he made blocking runs to allow players break. He was such a loss

Yeah watching it also. I have watched it countless times and it’s still brilliant.

Just turned on the 2001 League final now on TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Synode wrote: »
    Such a shame the season is panning out the way it is. I've no doubt we'll win loads more trophies in the coming years but this season was looking special.

As a Leinster and (slightly lapsed) Liverpool fan, it is rather frustrating.

We weren't going to go unbeaten in the league, but it would have been nice to get the chance for some revenge against Saracens this year.

We weren't going to go unbeaten in the league, but it would have been nice to get the chance for some revenge against Saracens this year.

I think Leinster would have gone unbeaten in the Pro 14, I don’t see anyone beating them, maybe Ulster away would be the only tricky one

I do think the focus was on Europe and the Sarries match was the big one, they wanted Europe again after the defeat

A-Train wrote: »
    Yeah watching it also. I have watched it countless times and it’s still brilliant.

Just turned on the 2001 League final now on TG4.

I was sitting right behind the posts where the all the tries for scored

We had Northampton fans in front dressed up as saints and Toulouse fans all around us, it was quality banter

I was sitting right behind the posts where the all the tries for scored

We had Northampton fans in front dressed up as saints and Toulouse fans all around us, it was quality banter

I was in the upper section in the corner beside where Hynes scored his try. Majority Leinster fans there so it was complete silence at half time to wild celebrations at full time.

Then the madness on the streets after it.

I’m in the same boat. Leinster and Liverpool fan and it’s heart breaking.

Now I know I’m the grand scheme of things in the current climate it doesn’t matter but still very frustrating as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think Leinster would have gone unbeaten in the Pro 14, I don’t see anyone beating them, maybe Ulster away would be the only tricky one

I do think the focus was on Europe and the Sarries match was the big one, they wanted Europe again after the defeat

I'd say the Cheetahs would have been favourites over in Bloemfontein, even if they don't seem quite as good since Smith went to Italy.

The Kings away would have been a real banana skin as well if it was a weakened Leinster squad going over.

Two eminently losable games.

Wow, you really jumped off the deep end there didn't ya?

Who said token cap? Not I! Full games is what our Peter wants!

What's a token cap anyway? I'm sure you have a list of all the garbage time caps we've given out over the years to hand, and you are actively downgrading the cap totals for those players?

I think that's a silly question. Of course players get caps of only a few minutes for a variety of reasons:

- coach not making full use of bench
    - having to keep someone back to cover for potential injuries
    - not wanting to disrupt the flow of the match

That doesn't change the fact that it's the best two scrumhalves picked in a XXIII to give you the best possible chance of winning. The only exception might be if you're up against lesser opposition and you give a bit more weighting to potential when it comes to selection, i.e. you pick someone who isn't currently in the top two 9s, but who's judged to have the potential to be in that category in the future.

Peter Stringer, a 42-year old who last got capped internationally nine years ago and who retired in 2018, is not in the top two scrumhalves. Nor does he have the potential to be in the future. Changing the selection criteria from trying to win to artificially padding out a player's number of appearances would devalue the whole achievement and render the exercise pointless. Caps are earnt on merit.

Murray Kinsella made some interesting comments in the 42's latest podcast.
    Lancaster talked about this thing called the ‘performance clock’ in terms of players, where change is part of a high-performance culture: you need to have that change, and often you need to change before change is actually necessary. So, you’re thinking ahead: ‘Which player is going to be in decline [at a point in the future]?’ And they’ve maybe done a bit of that: Sean O’Brien leaving, Jack McGrath going off to Ulster — they felt they could go a different way than that. And I think the same applies to their tactics.

This is interesting. They moved Mike Ross on before it was strictly necessary so they could crack on with developing younger players. I suppose it's about getting that balance right - the up and coming players can't be too much of a step down on the old stagers. I'd say Bent, McFadden, Rob Kearney and the soon to be 36-year old Scott Fardy would be the players in this category - considering the quality of the options pushing up behind in their positions. Maybe Sean Cronin too.
    Certainly, the thing that sticks out for me at the moment — and again, you’re nitpicking, really — but I think their kicking game can improve. I think that’s a massive part of rugby now and has only grown as a trend over the last year or so. You look at what England are doing with the ball, with their four kickers; one at 15 in Elliot Daly, the 10-12 combo, and Ben Youngs being exceptional at it. I would imagine a lot of coaches are probably looking at that and thinking, ‘This is the way the game is going to go.’ Even more so if we get the 50:22 law trial at higher levels, which looks like it’s going to happen. I think Leinster will be looking, and have been looking, at ways of improving that side of their game.
    “They have lots of brilliant kickers — we should say that: Ross Byrne is king of the kick-pass, really. Johnny Sexton obviously has it in his armoury as do all their 10s, really. But I think they can grow the kicking ability across their backline just in terms of having different options with which to attack teams.

“It’s interesting: they have the fewest kicks on average out of any team in the Pro14, and very similar in the Champions Cup; they do tend to cling onto the ball. But I think we’re seeing other teams in the world — France kicked a hell of a lot in the Six Nations this year and that was a massive part of their revival. So, I think Leinster will be cognisant of that, self-aware of where their game is and where it’s going.

“I’m definitely excited to see what strings they add to their bow in this down period.”

If they want to get more kickers in the backline I'd say it's Conor O'Brien at 12 and Ciarán Frawley at fullback they should be looking at. O'Brien has a nice left-footed kicking game and Frawley has looked like a very good tactical kicker when he's played flyhalf. And he can kick the ball a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What height really were BOD and D'Arcy - 5 8 ?

Ive met both, and thats what I would think, gives hope to others small in stature (but big in skill and heart)

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    What height really were BOD and D'Arcy - 5 8 ?

Ive met both, and thats what I would think, gives hope to others small in stature (but big in skill and heart)
    Not sure about BOD, although they do look the same height in that photo. 5'8 sounds right for D'Arcy. I walked by him in UCD years ago and we were about the same height.

Something I hadn't thought about until now is the lockdowns impact on potential signings. Money is obviously going to be much tighter now, so any deals Leinster had in progress may be abandoned. Obviously this is a trivial matter as who knows when sports will actually come back. But it's something to think about all the same. Personally, I'd have zero problems with no new signings provided we kept on Fardy and Tomane.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Something I hadn't thought about until now is the lockdowns impact on potential signings. Money is obviously going to be much tighter now, so any deals Leinster had in progress may be abandoned. Obviously this is a trivial matter as who knows when sports will actually come back. But it's something to think about all the same. Personally, I'd have zero problems with no new signings provided we kept on Fardy and Tomane.

Every team is in the same boat so it pretty much evens out.

They had an article saying 8 out of the 14 french clubs are at risk of going bust, along with a load of the ProD2. The pressure here is the sugar daddies are losing a fortune outside rugby so less interested in investing and proping up clubs

The english clubs are crippled at the moment,

If anything the Irish clubs are probably in a better state of affairs, not saying they are in a great one but at least they are not millions in debt like the English ones.

Players will have less chance of big wages.....I dont think Leinster had any major deals in pipeline, Munster move for the two SA?? thats the ones I would see at risk.

On the subject of Tomane, how do we rate his performances this season? I think he's been much better this year and it's a shame we didn't get to see more of he and Ringrose as a partnership. His carrying has been very strong and in general his defence has improved greatly. He received a lot of unfair criticism in his first season. Injury and lack of familiarity with systems did for him.

On the subject of Tomane, how do we rate his performances this season? I think he's been much better this year and it's a shame we didn't get to see more of he and Ringrose as a partnership. His carrying has been very strong and in general his defence has improved greatly. He received a lot of unfair criticism in his first season. Injury and lack of familiarity with systems did for him.

The bits I have seen I think he has impressed, I would have liked for him to be kept on but with the current climate I doubt they will. Money might be better invested elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I like Tomane but he’s very much a squad player so whilst I’d be more than happy for him to stay I wouldn’t be too bothered if he moves on, he was having a good season though and is well worth a squad place.
    All bets are probably off for signings so if there is no one coming in I’d be happy with the current squad especially if Fardy gets a last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The plan to replace Scott Fardy with an upgraded Rob Kearney solves two headaches:

94199016_3399307096764074_3820194498634317824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=15z0f5VbCFwAX_ahD6b&_nc_ht=scontent.fbru1-1.fna&_nc_tp=14&oh=7a0c76fecfce1d8fc2287e32f97e0d75&oe=5EC12E3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

A mate posted that photo a few days ago asking who we think it was and my first thought was Scott Fardy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think that's a silly question. Of course players get caps of only a few minutes for a variety of reasons:

- coach not making full use of bench
    - having to keep someone back to cover for potential injuries
    - not wanting to disrupt the flow of the match

That doesn't change the fact that it's the best two scrumhalves picked in a XXIII to give you the best possible chance of winning. The only exception might be if you're up against lesser opposition and you give a bit more weighting to potential when it comes to selection, i.e. you pick someone who isn't currently in the top two 9s, but who's judged to have the potential to be in that category in the future.

Peter Stringer, a 42-year old who last got capped internationally nine years ago and who retired in 2018, is not in the top two scrumhalves. Nor does he have the potential to be in the future. Changing the selection criteria from trying to win to artificially padding out a player's number of appearances would devalue the whole achievement and render the exercise pointless. Caps are earnt on merit.

I think it's cute that you clearly didn't see that I was joking in my original post. I mean a retired 42yo Peter Stringer being capped for Ireland?

However, I think it's downright worrying that you bothered to go through the rigmarole of trying to explain why a retired 42yo Peter Stringer shouldn't be capped for Ireland. I mean... really? You poor soul.

Anyway I guess we should leave it there. Because just wow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement