Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I love it. Ireland's starting fullback and their regular inside centre (yes he swaps with Bundee a lot) can't even make Leinster's starting line up. Sure :D

Yet you replied so he gets exactly what he aimed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

This is all just in your opinion?

There is no way Larmour and Henshaw don’t start in a fully fit Leinster team in the next 12 months.

And as good as Josh Murphy is, he doesn’t get in the 23 let alone start at 6.

Oh yeah. That's just my personal take on where everyone should fit in in the pecking order, perhaps more geared to what I think the selectors should be working towards in the future rather than who you'd pick right now in a make-or-break match. Obviously you wouldn't pitch C. O'Brien in ahead of Henshaw in a game against Saracens tomorrow.

On Murphy, I've seen a few comments here, on planet rugby and on the 42 intimating that he's the poor relation in the current crop of backrows, the guy who's most likely to get squeezed out. I think it shows the lack of appreciation out there for a true 6. Blindside isn't a glamour position. The likes of Connors and Deegan might be capable of producing more x-factor moments, but they pale in comparison to Murphy when it comes to delivering the relentless grunt work a blindside has to get through. He dominates physically in contact, he's good in the lineout, his lifting, mauling and clearing out are consistently of a very high standard. I can see him in a green jersey in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Murphy is miles off getting an irish cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Nacewa saying in today's Indo that he would like to return to coach at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Nacewa saying in today's Indo that he would like to return to coach at Leinster.

He must love flying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I actually think Larmour would make a very good 11 with that step of his. Moot point as he won’t be getting ahead of Lowe. He’s developing very nicely at 15 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

clsmooth wrote: »
    I actually think Larmour would make a very good 11 with that step of his. Moot point as he won’t be getting ahead of Lowe. He’s developing very nicely at 15 anyway.

Larmour would thrive anywhere in the back three. He's such a natural talent. He's making a lot of progress at 15 as well. He looks so much more assured under the high ball now. A far cry from the player who was targeted and struggled badly against Argentina in 2018.

I think he made huge strides at the World Cup. Played well in his few starts at 15 and really should have started against the All Blacks. He's carried on his development since then too. Looks to draw and pass more, but isn't afraid to go it by himself when he thinks the counter attack is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Where will Leinsters current academy be next season:

Prop

Jack Aungier(Suttonians RFC/Clontarf) - senior team
    Michael Milne(CC Roscrea/UCD) - senior team
    Tom Clarkson(Blackrock/DUFC) - academy yr 2, U21
    Roman Salanoa(Old Belvedere) - ???

Hooker
    Dan Sheehan(Clongowes/Lansdowne) - senior team

Lock
    Jack Dunne(St. Michaels/DUFC) - senior team?
    Charlie Ryan(Blackrock/UCD) - academy yr 2, U22
    Brian Deeny(Wexford RFC/Clontarf) - academy yr 2, U21

Lock/Blindside
    Oisin Dowling(St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - leave province
    Ryan Baird(St. Michaels/DUFC) - senior team

Backrow
    Martin Moloney(Athy RFC/Old Belvedere) - academy yr 2, U22

Scrumhalf
    Patrick Patterson(Blackrock/UCD) - academy yr 3, U23

Outhalf
    Harry Byrne(St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - senior team
    David Hawkshaw(Belvedere/Clontarf) - academy yr 3, U22

Outside Backs
    Gavin Mullin(Blackrock/UCD) - ???
    Tommy O'Brien(Blackrock/UCD) - senior team
    Michael Silvester(Clongowes/DUFC) - academy yr 3, U23
    Aaron O'Sullivan(Exile/Blackrock) - academy yr 3, U22
    Liam Turner(Blackrock/DUFC) - academy yr 2, U22

Out of curiosity, why do some of the players have 2 clubs next to their names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

clsmooth wrote: »

He is an incredible talented player. So far for Ireland he has played at 11/13/14/15? if I am not mistaken. Similar for Leinster

He hasn't got a run at 15 and to be honest putting him at 15 gives him the space to run back at defenders which is what Leinster/Ireland want.

He had one bad postional game against Toulouse last season, that was fixed. One bad game under the high ball for Ireland when the wings gave him no support and that was fixed. Every other game I have seen him at 15 he has bneen hugely impressive. The not marking in the England game is not an issue, he is still learning. His positives massively outweigh his negatives.

I love him at 15, the only reason people question is because when he goes into an Ireland jersey you have the usual people putting down any Leinster player simply because of provincial bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yet you replied so he gets exactly what he aimed for.

Well with the lack of rugby being played I have to get my entertainment some how. Watching Richie scurry down a rabbithole trying to justify his crazy selections is one way. Especially when he keeps digging :D

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why do some of the players have 2 clubs next to their names?

Club they came from and now the AIL team they are with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's been mentioned before, but the back 3 is going to be an issue in the shirt term. Lowe and Larmour will be on Ireland duty a lot, Rob Kearney and McFadden are probably retiring soon, and Adam Byrne is on the outs. Doesn't leave us with many experiences options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clegg wrote: »
    It's been mentioned before, but the back 3 is going to be an issue in the shirt term. Lowe and Larmour will be on Ireland duty a lot, Rob Kearney and McFadden are probably retiring soon, and Adam Byrne is on the outs. Doesn't leave us with many experiences options.

Ask Ulster for a dig out, they've gotten enough off us. They are genuinely overstocked in the back three.

well its quite clear as Leo said, they are going to back young players to step up from academy. Are you not excited by that prospect?

well its quite clear as Leo said, they are going to back young players to step up from academy.

I’m happy enough with that tbh, there’s a lot of decent younger lads to cover plus probably DK & ROL plus I’m probably missing someone obvious. Mc fadden and Byrne aren’t confirmed as going and I’d be surprised if both finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wouldn't really define it as an issue, more that it'll be a weaker area than the rest in terms of depth. It's not a case where we'll be begging for 3 month signings immediately and calling lads up from the AIL (although I'd pay for several season tickets if Fange is brought back in despite retiring from AIL or Mick McGrath to have a hair battle with Lowe).

We've a lot of options in terms of centres who can push out to the wing also in a pinch with the likes of ROL and Tommy O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I've been very impressed with Keenan this season but the wings are looking a little bare in terms of talent coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

We will have Daly (former try scoring record holder), Jimmy O'Brien, Kelleher and Keenan.

Most clubs would be happy enough to have them further up the depth chart.

Edit: and ROL I remember him tearing an Ulster team apart from the wing

I've been very impressed with Keenan this season but the wings are looking a little bare in terms of talent coming through.

Andrew Smith is a stand out wing coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We will have Daly (former try scoring record holder), Jimmy O'Brien, Kelleher and Keenan.

Most clubs would be happy enough to have them further up the depth chart.

Daly is very good but he's not first XV material, ditto Kelleher. I don't know if I've ever seen JOB on the wing, likewise Keenan but I'm sure he'd do a job.
    Andrew Smith is a stand out wing coming through.

Yeah, he looks great, always a question about underage guys continuing to progress but he has the goods to do it.

• Advertisement

Daly is very good but he's not first XV material, ditto Kelleher. I don't know if I've ever seen JOB on the wing, likewise Keenan but I'm sure he'd do a job.

Yeah, he looks great, always a question about underage guys continuing to progress but he has the goods to do it.

But the talk isn’t about first XV we’re talking when the first choices are away and whilst I was sceptical of why Kelleher came back he’s looked decent in the kind of matches he’s likely to play.

JOB has covered wing off the bench, scored a few tries from there. Given skilset i'm sure he would be capable of doing a job in the pro 14.

Keenan was a wing for irish 20's been focused more on 15 since, but more than capable of playing there too.

Someone like Tommy O'Brien doesn't really look to have the ballst for 12, may be more suited to wing. But they seem to like him and his game in the centre, at least now.

thats not even factoring in the outside backs in academy in Silvester, Turner & O'Sullivan. Jack Kelly might get another look too after playing 7's, still only 22.

Lowe will qualify, by all accounts I think Tomane will leave

So that is two NIQ spots free if required.

I do think McFadden will stay another season at least. D Kearney is back in form. Let the kids free and maybe bring in experience international to sit alongside them.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So that is two NIQ spots free if required.

Leo has said no one will be brought in, will rely on young players to step up.

Leo has said no one will be brought in, will rely on young players to step up.

that is why I said "if required"

I doubt they will and I dont think Leinster or the IRFU have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

They already addressed the issue of Lowe going to Ireland with the Kelleher signing. It was pretty obvious from a long way out that Lowe was very likely to be away on international duty, so they were able to plan ahead and sign Kelleher a year early to allow him to bed in.

With ROL potentially reverting to playing more wing, that leaves him, Kelleher, David Kearney and Daly as wing options - even if both Byrne and McFadden do leave. Then there'd be Keenan and Frawley for 15 before they'd have to call on Silvester. Could always recall Jack Kelly from the 7s if necessary, like if Frawley got injured. He's been a bit injury-prone.

3rd scrumhalf is interesting, not much between Osborne(23), O'Sullivan(22) and Patterson(21) right now.

Osborne's biggest weakness(size) he cant really overcome, O'Sullivan needs game time to improve his(decision making) and Patterson needs game time to improve his(consistency)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I dont think we have much of an issue in the back 3 really. We're looking at Lowe, Larmour, D Kearney, Daly, Keenan, Kelleher & JOB. And that's worst case scenario. We may have 1 or both of Byrne and McFadden in the mix as well plus ROL who can cover if needed and Academy guys too. Larmour is the only one of those who is def going to be away on international duty. Lowe will be called into camp but theres no guarantee he'll be selected beyond that. Dave might be called up but almost certainly wont feature for Ireland.

So we're probably looking at something like Daly, Kearney, Keenan during the international windows. Maybe Kelleher, Daly, Keenan. I wouldnt be worried by that at all. Keenan has gone really well so far. Daly has been impressive at that level previously and if he can get a run of fitness hes def note than good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Despite my reservations about Kelleher return, he has looked very good. Not CC good but good enough to be very solid in the pro 14

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

3rd scrumhalf is interesting, not much between Osborne(23), O'Sullivan(22) and Patterson(21) right now.

Osborne's biggest weakness(size) he cant really overcome, O'Sullivan needs game time to improve his(decision making) and Patterson needs game time to improve his(consistency)

I think Ben Murphy (the replacement 9 for the Irish 20s) has more upside than all three of them. Still underage for Irish 20s next year too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement