Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

What people don't factor here is CO2 EU fines to carmakers. There's already talk on the continent of carmakers increasing prices of ICE cars because of the fines.

Comparable ICE cars will get more expensive and economies of scale should bring BEV price down somewhat. The difference between ICE and BEV will narrow down, provided subsidies are kept.

The rest depends on the government policy. It could narrow down further if they went Norway style and increased taxes on ICE (carbon, NOx, whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paulm123

according to automotive news the ID 3 launch could be delayed by up to a year , not sure how credible but bad news if true.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-id3-software-problems-threaten-summer-launch-report-says?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200226&utm_content=hero-headline

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's from the same original article (Manager Magazine) that has been discounted regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

liamog wrote: »
    It's from the same original article (Manager Magazine) that has been discounted regularly.

There a lot of nonsense articles out there, this infograph from insideevs today is a fine example...

5-fcffbd52-c87e-4887-9df8-845e3a90dd06.png

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Some interesting stuff on Ionity prices (at least in Germany) with VW's WeCharge facility

https://youtu.be/tJvDdgAHBC4

Removing the hassle involved in using chargers on the go is badly needed and WeCharge could be a big help in this respect if VW get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I received an email this afternoon from Volkwagen Ireland.

"Thank you for placing your €1,000 Reservation Fee on the ID.3 1st Edition from Volkswagen. As a valued Pre-Booker, you will be among the first to drive and own an ID.3 1st Edition in Ireland. We are delighted to announce that we will shortly be moving to the order phase for our Pre-Bookers.
    The eight week order window will open in early April and you will be contacted by your preferred Retailer nearer the time to discuss next steps."

Apart from that it reiterated the late summer deliveries and the vw wallbox can be ordered when ordering the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I received an email this afternoon from Volkwagen Ireland.

"Thank you for placing your €1,000 Reservation Fee on the ID.3 1st Edition from Volkswagen. As a valued Pre-Booker, you will be among the first to drive and own an ID.3 1st Edition in Ireland. We are delighted to announce that we will shortly be moving to the order phase for our Pre-Bookers.
    The eight week order window will open in early April and you will be contacted by your preferred Retailer nearer the time to discuss next steps."

Apart from that it reiterated the late summer deliveries and the vw wallbox can be ordered when ordering the car.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Opening window is postponed now till early May :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Opening window is postponed now till early May :(

I got that email, they are still claiming that the cars are to arrive late summer. At this stage I may not have a job and have to really consider this purchase.

Did the pricing ever come out?
    How big is the battery ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Did the pricing ever come out?
    How big is the battery ?

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/id/ID-3-1st-e-booklet.pdf

Will also likely cancel my order. Was planning to move -back- to Ireland this summer. With current state of business and virtually non existent social protection (dole) in Ireland can’t take the risk. So 2021 maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/volkswagen-starts-with-step-by-step-resumption-of-production-5961

Snippet....
    "First, production is to be resumed at the plants in Zwickau and Bratislava (Slovakia) in the week from April 20."

Zwickau is the plant for the ID.3 so they will probably still manage to hit their "Summer 2020" delivery schedule for the ID.3 launch edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Volkswagen sales guy tweeted that orders are opening on June 17th. He doesn't specify if for some or all countries

https://twitter.com/jstackmann/status/1257679928750940161

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Volkswagen sales guy tweeted that orders are opening on June 17th. He doesn't specify if for some or all countries

https://twitter.com/jstackmann/status/1257679928750940161

That's left hand drive. Right hand drive is a further 4 weeks after that. I think they are making about 100 per day

Looks good... prestigious customers, had me in the first half:D

Could it be "Guess What Mad_Lad Got, Part 3" ?

Probably not, I had high hopes for the id.3 until I read that the larger battery is 4 seater only, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just from an internal view we’ve had no other updates.

It’s definitely coming closer but nothing further, nothing on price etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Probably not, I had high hopes for the id.3 until I read that the larger battery is 4 seater only, ridiculous.

Yeah ridiculous, a 4 seater. Who on earth would buy that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »

Cant remember that last time I saw more than 2 people in a car, even at that, it’s rare to even see two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Anyone with more than two kids is just going to have to buy a preowned Model S and save some cash at the same time :D

( Sandy Munro has some pretty caustic remarks on VW in general. Will be interesting to see if he rips one of these ID cars apart )

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    Cant remember that last time I saw more than 2 people in a car, even at that, it’s rare to even see two.

I only posted that because the poster I quoted has a BMW i3. Yes, also a 4 seater only :)

Yeah I bought a 4 seater but having to go from 5 seats to 4 for the larger battery is a joke, the i3 was built as a 4 seater.

Having said that, most Euro cars claiming 5 seats is questionable, a Passat and Mondeo perhaps.

There's no reason VW had to make the ID.3 so small that it couldn't accommodate the larger battery without removing 1 of the rear seat spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yeah I bought a 4 seater but having to go from 5 seats to 4 for the larger battery is a joke, the i3 was built as a 4 seater.

Having said that, most Euro cars claiming 5 seats is questionable, a Passat and Mondeo perhaps.

There's no reason VW had to make the ID.3 so small that it couldn't accommodate the larger battery without removing 1 of the rear seat spaces.

I don't think it's got anything to do with space. It's all down to weight. The same reason the bigger battery can't have the heavier glass roof.

Agreed Mad_Lad. At first I couldn't believe it myself, but when I asked the main technical guy at the demo in Weston he insisted it was going to be the case because of the extra weight, making the car not suitable for more than 4 passengers. Not the extra space the batteries take up. I asked him again and pressed him, was he 100% sure about this? Which he fairly confidently said he was (and it looks like he was right)

At €50k, the long range is ludicrously expensive and will only take up a fraction of ID.3 sales. If you need very long range, you'd be much better off with a Tesla for a just a few grand more imho

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yep it's been confirmed multiple times, the extra battery is included in the skateboard. So does not affect the physical cabin space.

I wonder what the regulation is that restricts the max weight, I thought there was a general weight limit but didn't realise it was based on car length as well.

I was looking at weight last the 1st weighs nearly the same as the awd model 3 long range, that couldn't be right is it?
    I thought they maybe able to improve range with software updates doesn't really look like it if it's that heavy.

Agreed Mad_Lad. At first I couldn't believe it myself, but when I asked the main technical guy at the demo in Weston he insisted it was going to be the case because of the extra weight, making the car not suitable for more than 4 passengers. Not the extra space the batteries take up. I asked him again and pressed him, was he 100% sure about this? Which he fairly confidently said he was (and it looks like he was right)

At €50k, the long range is ludicrously expensive and will only take up a fraction of ID.3 sales. If you need very long range, you'd be much better off with a Tesla for a just a few grand more imho

It would be a very basic Tesla but far faster lol.

I'm kinda of stuck now deciding what to do in November. i.d 3 doesn't really float my boat, it's expensive but at least has 100 Kw charging which might make the lack of larger battery more attractive.

50 odd K for EV is too expensive really considering depreciation and yearly mileage.

40 K for Kona or E-soul and risk crippling depreciation ?

The hyundai dealer in Carlow wanted nothing to do with my i3, giving me rock bottom price as they "give it to the trade" bla bla, they don't want to sell it in case they have to try get it fixed.

Looking likely I will just keep it another 3 or 4 years because there's absolutely nothing interesting coming out EV wise over the next couple of years and the battery is doing amazingly well, no notable loss in capacity even after range test after 3 years 2 months and 83,500 kms. The car could potentially last years if nothing major goes wrong and the Rex can take care of any future capacity loss.

Perhaps Hyundai's new 800 volt tech might convince me there's some hope for electrics but most of the car companies should be ashamed, 2020 and not a lot to show.

Until then I'm not sure a high mileage Model S is appealing to me considering my yearly mileage and I might be lucky to get 250 Kms from a 2014 or 15 ? but at least they got super charging, though no CCS, even so a good one with autopilot is going to still cost 45-50k and I'm not sure I would get as much driving a 2 tonne barge as a 1300 Kg car no matter how fast the Model S is in a straight line.

Perhaps you'll let me have yours for a day on some back roads ? we can do a swap :D

Do you need 550km versus 430km?
    If you just want the range and five seats your probably better targeting an ID.3 Pro S from the series production which is expected to start at the same entry price as the ID.3 1st entry which is around €35,000 including grants.

The hyundai dealer in Carlow wanted nothing to do with my i3, giving me rock bottom price as they "give it to the trade" bla bla, they don't want to sell it in case they have to try get it fixed.

That's perfectly normal. Main dealers generally do not want to sell any second hand cars from their forecourt, unless it's their own brand and less than 5 years old

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Do you need 550km versus 430km?
    If you just want the range and five seats your probably better targeting an ID.3 Pro S from the series production which is expected to start at the same entry price as the ID.3 1st entry which is around €35,000 including grants.

No Idea what to do, I'm not sure I fancy another 400 odd volt car at the fast charger with a cold battery, 800 volts will help a lot here.

It would be interesting to see how the battery performs at the charger when cold.

How come the pro S can keep the 5 seats with the larger battery ?

Advertisement