Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A few months wont matter much. Electronic stuff gets upgraded all the time but there isnt much inside these units to worry about it being outdated in a few short months time.

You should get that VW charge point pretty quickly though, so you dont really need to have it sitting for a few months. Maybe hold out until Dec, then buy it.

Its a decent charge point. Has everything you need and is internet connected for future software upgrades. They plan to add Solar PV support shortly, which will bring it right into line with the Zappi.

Control of it is within the existing WeConnect ID app that you will be already using with your ID car, so one less app to be messing with.

If/When you do buy it you will need a few extras, that dont come in the box, so that it can do load sensing:

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-terminal-blocks/8042475

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/current-transformers/0198885/

Dont just buy any random CT clamp. The VW charge point lists 3 that are compatible. You have to set the DIP switches inside the charge point to match the one you buy and the one above is one of the clamps they support/recommend.

You also have to set a second bank of DIP switches to match your house fuse rating and it will then ensure that the charge point doesnt blow that fuse.

When wiring it, try to get a Cat5e cable to it to connect to your internet and you will probably need a second Cat5e to extend the CT clamp above. It does have the ability to connect to your internet via WiFi but if you are running cables anyway run the Cat5e... better stability long term.

Yes, there is a 6 month limit alright but I presume he hasnt applied for the grant yet. He will need the car also to claim it, so he wont be applying for the grant yet.

The point is, having the charge point bought now wont make any difference. They dont look for an invoice for the charge point. They look for proof of EV ownership and an electricians cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

First time charging by ourselves, just plugged it in and it started charging, does the box recognise the car? the guy that installed the box said the car wasnt coded to the box but might have picked him up wrong? we have gone through all the set ups etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There is no coding/pairing. It will just work.

the only setup as such is the setup of charging timers in the charge point and/or the car. What charge point is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its the ID Charger Connect , I thought it was setup in a way that another car couldn't rock up and charge (theoretical) so thought we might have to use the app to activate it somehow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Ah ok, you can configure the ID charge point that way if you wish. It’s default is to allow all cars to charge on it.

In the box you got an RFID card and you can configure the charge point to only allow charging when you swipe that card on it or any other card also that you want to configure.

I wouldn’t bother though. No one is going to park their car in your drive for hours on end for a few cents worth of electricity.

i.e the extra effort of swiping that card every time isn’t worth the chance that someone will rob your electricity. That feature is more for commercial applications really than domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does the standard charger have load management? (As long as you fit a CT)

VW talk about charging €240 extra…(we’ve an electric shower)

*Our standard installation package does not include a Dynamic Load Management solution. Whether this is required will be jointly evaluated during the remote home check with the installation provider. Homes with other large power consumers such as electric shower or heat pump need this solution to manage the total house load. In case it is needed, our installation partner will offer it directly to you for approximately €240.

3For eligible private and commercial customers, SEAI offer an EV Home Charger Grant of €600, see www.seai.ie for further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Does the standard charger have load management? (As long as you fit a CT)

Yes, standard on all models of the VW charge point

€240 is rather steep to get that added. The way VW have priced the installs is that they have it priced high to cover hard and easy jobs and its a take it or leave it thing. You cant negotiate the price with them if you use their service.

Buy the charge point and get your own trusted electrician to give you a more reasonable price. Adding load management is buying the clamp and running the cable. How much effort that cable is is down to your house, but you'd do alot of work for €240! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cheers. I had being looking at the eo mini pro 2. But the VW one will do. Kind of mad the way they have the installation priced.

just to decide if it’s worth while getting the connected one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

First spin to dublin tomorrow. I suppose the N7 will be chocka. Dreading going back to this.

just to decide if it’s worth while getting the connected one.

The difference in price is €273. For that you get the internet connectivity which in turn gives you future software updates (e.g. Solar integration and who knows what else they come up with).

The app connectivity isnt worth much. You would be primarily just accessing the car from the app, not the charge point. The software updates are more important, so very much a personal decision as to whether you think €273 is worth that or not. If all you want is the basics then probably not worth it.

Yes.

Pick your cable length at order time but there is no untethered option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭eagerv

Used that road a good bit over the last few months. No major problems but try and avoid the main commuting few hours.

Does wonders for your kWh/100 anyway...😊

N7 is absolutely crazy again, this morning was backed up from Big Ball to Kill at around 7:30 then moved a bit until Rathcoole, I diverted off the N7 completely as I had no desire to drive through the Mad Cow!

2 weeks ago when I was on 9 am starts the Mon- Wed was horrible all the way to Inchicore from Kill, wasn't as bad Thurs and Fri.

Coming home from 5-5:30 the traffic can be backed up from Rathcoole to Newlands X then after Rathcoole it picked up again but it can be quite slow on the N7 and at Naas as People try figure out what lane they want when it goes to the 3 lanes then unfortunately the M7 can also be quite slow and then a few K from the M9 split it can get awfully slow as there's only a single lane to join the M9 which is an absolute joke and you have the People who want to push their way in at the last minute in an attempt to avoid the traffic on the merge lane to the M9.

The traffic has been pretty bad for a while now so obviously there has been a lot more people commuting for a while.

I wish there were flexible working laws in Ireland but no such thing exists, and more working from home because it's not right expecting workers to have to commute when they can work remotely, I can't at least not while I'm working on these projects I'm doing, perhaps next year I might get a day or 2 at home.

Keep me posted on how the Travel assist is working out, no doubt you won't do without it after a few commutes.

I might aim to hit red cow around nine tomorrow. Need to be in ucd for ten. Might be cutting it fine.

will be going earlier when I get into it but want to avoid the mad rush first day. Although I’ve a feeling tomorrow will be bad.

Yes it will only get worse..😕. I normally aim to be at the Naas area (Coming up from south) at around 9 to 9:15 and as I said haven't had major problems, doesn't take long to get out to the airport area. Seems to move at at least 80km/h. Wouldn't like to be getting over to UCD though

M50 North isn't too bad North but it can be pretty bad South at that time.

If I were heading to UCD I'd be going from M9 into Castledermot- Baltinglass up N81 and swing right at Brittas for the Dublin mountains " hills" lol Golf club and in by the Old Mill Pub in Tallaght then on to the M50 from there can save a good bit of time, you won't be tearing the road out of it but I used to do that a lot not too bad. Coming home it's a good route to know because the slip road for the Red Cow can be absolute jammers in the evenings then the traffic all the way to Rathcoole.

Good luck !

I've only ever lost time going that way. I actually used to drive over to N11 and up that way, but I live further away from that route now and it doesnt make as much sense. Getting to UCD is a pain in the HOOP!

In an ideal world we'd be parking our EVs at the M50 and taking public transport from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@[Deleted User] Travel Assist is nice, but could be better. It does require hands on the wheel every 5-10 seconds which is reasonable. But the big issue for me is that it can turn off at any stage (including when going around a bend which is fun) and gives no warning.

If for whatever reason the car loses sight of the lines, it just hands back full steering but with no warning tone at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I contacted my VW dealer to ask about the SSE €675 credit, and they sent me back an EEOS EV/Homeowner waiver. This seems to be something to do with getting a charger installed so I presume they've given me the wrong thing.

Anyone been through this process and can advise on what they should be doing?

I filled in a special form at handover and apparently that goes to SSE.

ive recently switched contract to SSE an was assured the discount would be applied when the paperwork goes through.

Ah yeah, hands on the wheel is what all cars with such systems make you do every few seconds but I'd be using it mostly for motorways so hopefully take some of the sting out of that, I was never expecting it to take bends like say on the n7 to M50 junction.

The adaptive cruise will be real nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Got the call this morning from dealer that the car has landed and is ready for pick up this week. Can’t wait to get hands on it now. Won’t be getting charger installed until next Tuesday but shouldn’t be an issue with plenty chargers around the locality if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

I hate to bust your bubble guys but the LKA/travel assist is absolute sh1te in the ID3 ,well it is in the base model anyway.

Compare to the venerable Ioniq28,jam a bottle of coke in the steering wheel as a counter weight et voila,auto steer as long as there's lines, right down the middle,

ID3 plays ping pong from one line to the other then gives up after about three cycles ,only useful if your dozy and forget to steer and then only for a very short period.

The base ID.3 like mine does not have travel assist. The one mad lad and others are getting does..

I remember Silent Running saying something along the lines of his Ioniq was good, Niro better and ID.3 Tour better again.

Our Ioniq is quite good, but not as good as on the Honda I had before. (Re lane keep/follow)

I’m not really used to it yet. I am afraid it will switch off without warning. 😀

the front assist thing will be good in traffic though I think.

• Advertisement

I hate to bust your bubble guys but the LKA/travel assist is absolute sh1te in the ID3 ,well it is in the base model anyway.

Your base model has "Lane Assist", not "Travel Assist".

They are different things and as you said Lane Assist just tells you that you are about to cross the white line and nudges you back into the lane. It does not keep you centred in the lane.... Travel Assist is supposed to keep you centred.

Advertisement