Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭adunis

Honestly I don't know,

I do have the idea that there may be some rough edges given they were just getting started and working things out,perhaps there may be some minor hardware differences?.

Plus side is better spec for your money,I was offered a 1st. Edition for the same deal as new 204hp life,I erred on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just make sure its had the latest software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

It seems that there’s a few people looking on the forum currently thinking of pulling the trigger, so i’ll use that as an excuse to share my thoughts.

I’ve had the car for 4 weeks now and came from an egolf - which was the first car that i ever loved.  I deliberated for a while with the wife over whether buying the ID3 was an extravagant waste or justifiable.

In the end the 0% PCP and the trade in deal on the egolf made it seem like a good idea.  I know it’s an illusion but the dealer gave me a brand new car, paid the deposit and handed me 10k…

I got to test drive on demand - i called and turned up 24hrs later so i’m confused at other posters saying that dealers can’t even offer them this.

I also test drove a 2nd hand Kona at the same time and instantly hated it. It’s cheap feeling, actually a much smaller car inside than even the egolf, comparatively noisy and the displays all seem very dated already.  Like a child’s computer tablet stuck to the dashboard.

The ID3 feels much heavier on the road than the egolf.  It’s also much bigger inside.

But really, even in my 58kWh version, it’s all about range.

I had a very positive experience with my dealer.  Having done the test drive and then decided to go ahead, i had about 10 days before i was due to go on holiday (from Dublin to Clifden).  I knew that this trip would be a pain in the ass with the egolf and the current charging infrastructure.  I put it to the dealer - can you get me an ID3 on the road and ready to go on my holiers with?

He said yes.  He had a base Life in manganese grey ready to be ‘pulled down’ (whatever that means).  It was the 204hp version but he kept the price the same as the 145hp.  I was very clear from the start that i was only there to buy range, no extras (as much as i love the look of the alloys).

He also said he’d get the tow bar fitted - i know i said no extras but carrying bikes is a huge thing for me.  It was ridiculously expensive to get that done mind.

And he delivered.  It got pushed back a couple of times and i ended up collecting at 1pm on the day i was due to leave.  I didn’t want my first trip to be a run to Clifden but there you go.

It was charged to 80% and i couldn’t believe the dash suggesting i might have 400km of range.

Of course, i knew from experience that this might be a bit of a false flag, but actually it wasn’t as wildly optimistic as I imagined.

I hit the motorway and headed to ionity athlone.  I arrived with more range remaining than the egolf had in total (about 200km or 150km on the motorway).  I even got the free circle k charger which had never worked for me previously. Kafboom.  

I topped back up to about 70% and drove straight to Clifden without any stress or range anxienty whatsoever.

It really is an incredible machine.  On the return trip I went straight from Galway back to Dublin  non-stop, having left with about 80% battery.  It was 110-115km per hour all the way to play it safe but i got back with over 60km range remaining.  It was coming in at under 18Kw per 100km.  I’m guess, this time of year 300km on the motorway, 350km+ mixed driving. Yesterday i did a couple of runs around south dublin and in and out of the city.  45km and it showed 13.5 kwh per 100km.  Obviously the weather but i was led to believe that short hops would see the car be less efficient than the egolf.  It’s definitely not.

The lack of timed charging is still annoying but as i’m only having to charge once a week i can wait for the update, although it is shockingly incompetent. More annoying is that there’s no button by the charging port to toggle between instant or scheduled charging; the egolf had this and it was very handy to be able to plug in and decide if you wanted to charge now or wait for nightrate savings.  Again, as i’ll be charging less often it becomes less of an issue but it was a very handy, practical feature.

Others have said that a few buttons wouldn’t go a miss inside too, instead of everything going through the touch screen.  I agree completely although after 3 weeks driving it no longer bothers me.  Passengers changing radio settings do have a tendency to set the hazard lights blinking though.

On the other hand, not having a physical button to turn on/off auto hold is an improvement - I had a regular passenger who knocked it off a couple of times while i was driving the egolf and the car didn’t like that at all.

I also miss the egolf’s SD slot in the glove box.  All my music discreetly hidden away ready to go through the media player.  Having extra usb ports and then having to waste one on your music seems daft and having a stick permanently sticking out of one is just untidy.  Oh yeah, and they’re usb-c ports so i had to go out and buy new cables - the dealer refused point blank to throw me a cable in, claiming he didn’t have any. Oh, the egolf had a dvd player too.  Never used it but it was a great buzz the day i found it (about a month after i bought the car…)

But i’m definitely happy that i made the change..  No more range anxiety, knowing that i can get wherever i want and not have to immediately unpack the granny charger.  Initially i thought the egolf was a much livelier drive despite the extra power in the ID3.  Now i’m just comfortable in this strangely small but big car.  

The last trip i did in the egolf was visiting inlaws in the far side of Sligo.  It was pain, arriving with no charge, granny cabling across the garden, having to go the long way via Ionity athlone and having to spend 40mins charging.  I’m going again this weekend and i’m confident enough to blast up the N4, take a charge whenever there’s one free and also take 3 bikes on the back.  I’ll let you know how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

this was my thinking - the car is really my wifes and she doesnt want to feel like she stepped down from our own car which is very well spec'd. The dealer I done the original deal with on the Tech ( and who to be fair is offering me a decent deal ) says he doesnt think he will get the 1st edition as its with a dealer in dublin. He wants me to take a Business @ 0% instead. I imagine the dealer with an unsold first edition at this stage would be delighted to get rid no ?

Mind if I ask how much the ridiculous price was for the tow bar?

And did you have to spec that when ordering or just get the dealer to do it before collection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Yeah, I think it was about 1200.

the dealer did it - I didn’t order the car from new, I asked for one ASAP, he found one available and fitted the tow bar afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

You can search for the eircode in the app and send it to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Comer1

Cool, thanks👍. Message popped up on the screen once I put my foot on the brake allowing me to save the location to favourites.

On another point, I thought I had done all my research but missed one very big issue with the ID.3. I didn't realise that that the ID.3 cannot use the full 22kW AC charging speed of the standard (and by far most common) charging stations due to it only having an 11kW onboard charger. It's a bit disappointing as it realistically means only using DC chargers when making any long journeys. Waiting around to charge at roughly 60km per hour charging would be useless for most. It drastically cuts down on the already poor number of chargers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭adunis

22kw ?......

That's the preserve of Renault Zoe's.

And maybe the odd Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Most EV's up to now can only charge at 3-7kW on single phase AC. Most new EV's are now starting to support 3-phase 11kW by default.

22kW AC charging capability is rare for EV's, so not VW specific.

And yes, DC chargers are for long journeys. AC is really for home/destination charging and 7-11kW is adequate for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 BillH93

Hi guys, hoping someone here might be able to help me. I collected my id.3 a few days ago and I'm having an issue with the android auto while playing music. After a few minutes the songs will start to skip and I just wanted to check here in case there's a setting on my phone or in the car I'm just not seeing. For reference I have a Samsung S20. Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Hi all, Just wondering if there is anyone on here with the id3 tour (4seat) finding it very difficult to find a picture anywhere of what the back seats look like before I commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

Silent Running and The ALM both have tours afaik. The back seats just look like regular ones except with a storage compartment where the middle one would be.

with the ranges being reported on here lately I’m wondering if we needed the tour at all. But I need it to do 260 km commute year round so thought it was safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Range is like bhp…can’t have too much! It will also help in the long term if there battery degradation and resale value. My tuppence worth.

well that was my thinking too. But it costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

That link that eagerv posted are them alright, two seats with a bit more side support than the normal back seat with the dipped bit in the centre (handy for a bottle of water, stops it rolling about). They are a comfortable place top be with great room. No kids and rarely have any passengers so the four seat setup suits us perfectly.

If you want more pictures or anything in particular let me know and I can take some this evening.

Love the car we will have to say.

Handing over my i3 on Tuesday, time to buy a cheap runaround for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Is it also charging wirelessly at that time by any chance? Saw some reports of phones overheating while using wireless carplay/AA and wirelessly charging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I didn't know that, thanks a million for sharing. Not being able to put in eircodes in the car is a right pain!!

• Advertisement

for those interested in the 45 kwh battery version I'd recommend subscribing to Chris Grnwld - YouTube for a week or two.

It is in German but he will be releasing charging sessions and range tests in the next few weeks for a base model ID3.

From what I've seen so far the car reaches 50.5kw charge speed immediately and it will probably stay at 50kw all the way up to 85 or 90%.

the id3 45kwh is his second car which he leases for 180 per month for 2 years. he drives a model3 as his main car.

others are leasing for 160 per month over 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

For anyone with Stationery Air Con issues (i.e. not working unless the car is plugged in), just letting you know that a software fix is available. My dealer applied an update (not the 2.3 one, more like a patch I think, I’m already on 2.1) this morning and the stationery air con is now working as expected, via the touch screen and remotely via the app, even when the car is not plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BillH93

It is actually! I'll try it without wireless charging and see how it goes! Thanks!

I remember reading something similar over on SpeakEV months ago, don't remember much, but IIRC by turning off the WiFi search in car sorted it.. May not have been the same problem but worth a try..

I find that handy, but usually use Google maps with Car Play (Love the satellite view). Haven't tried eircodes as yet but presume it works..

I see over on the ID.4 thread that a ship, the MV "Parana" has left Emden.

Hope there are some ID.3s on it as well.. Mad_Lad??😎

I think both mine and Mad _Lad's cars are schtuck waiting for semiconductors. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So was anyone who got the We charge credit unable to activate it because of errors signing up for the We Charge plans?

Me and my mum were both having this issue. The recent update seems to have fixed it for me but I don't have any free credit so not much use

AFAIK the sign up time for the free credit has passed, but obviously my mum wasn't able to sign up for it.

Just wondering if anyone has had success getting VW to waive the sign up period and get their free charging?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

45kwh ID3 with 100kw charger. It takes 30 minutes to go from 5% to 80% which is a similar speed to PSA models.

with 100kw charger that car is certainly able to undertake longer motorway journeys. I am expecting it to be a 2kw per 100km at motorway speeds more efficient than corsa or e208 but have no proof of that yet.

It was charging at over 40kw at 93% which suggests the 50kw charger version of it won't be totally useless for long trips either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

Quick question on the service plans there lads. I know it’s been talked about before but with the new software on here it’s impossible to find anything.

Was the “L Service Plan” ever €1450 ? Or it was always €648 ? My dealership emailed me and cold called me pushing it on me on Thursday.

Advertisement