Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we used to Dublin being a Kip?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

max you mad thing, have a lie-down, you'll give yourself a stroke with all your panicking.

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ridicule is nothing to be scared of
    Neither is a bit of litter and a few teenagers smoking weed. Chill, man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Eh yeah, because they aren't given a choice in the matter.

You do actually , they are open to people serving in a civilian national service , you can ask to be excluded for religious reasons and ill health may preclude you.

I've a friend who's a Falash , an Ethiopian Jew , it surprised me when he said lots of immigrants were happy to serve out of gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You do actually , they are open to people serving in a civilian national service , you can ask to be excluded for religious reasons and ill health may preclude you.

I've a friend who's a Falash , an Ethiopian Jew , it surprised me when he said lots of immigrants were happy to serve out of gratitude.

The rapidly growing Haredi population for the most part don't serve. There's a growing schism between them and the secular population. Secular Israelis in the likes of Tel Aviv aren't having kids and Orthodox women have something like 6 on average. Some population projections have them at making up about 40% of the population by mid-century. They generally don't work either, have huge poverty rates and and have a completely different value system to both the secular population and indeed the Arabs. It will all come to a head someday.

Israel is a mad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The problem with Dublin city and with Ireland in general is we don't have a proper justice system there's no real consequences to your actions.

The Gardai get a lot of **** in this country and at times yes rightly so but there doing a job few want to take on and in most cases get no respect for it. They also know they could walk out there get abused physically and mentally arrest someone for breaking the law and the ****er will walk right back out again because the system supports the criminals more then it does the law abiding.

We have scum roaming the streets threw out Ireland not just Dublin so don't pretend otherwise. These lot are indulged and constantly made excuses for and in a lot of cases supported by do-gooders who believe in human rights and everyone deserves a chance etc etc bla bla. What about human rights for the ones who want to act like humans!!??

Junkies should not be left to hang around the streets abusing the general public and doing what the **** they like. The vast majority of these people are a waste of good ****ing space and don't want to change what they are! Why would they ffs? They live above the law don't have to pay for things the rest of us do and ya they have **** life's in reality but they don't know any better!

Anytime i see them which is a lot! they seem proud bragging about what scummy **** they have gotten up to and act like they love living at everyone else's expense.

Antisocial behavior in general exists because there's no fear of what might happen if you break the law. Your given the opportunity to continue doing it knowing full well you will never actually pay for it.

We live in a country where your rewarded to be lazy uneducated and basically encouraged to look after yourself and no one else.

We live in a country where decent people work there whole life's pay there tax's look after there family s and do everything to try and better themselves! Yet our government will screw us blind for this something stupid like not being able to pay your tv license could land you in jail while our own scumbags and plenty of others from outside are invited to take it easy and enjoy ''equality''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dubs are a decent bunch IMO but Dublin does seem to be a bit of a kip. And those saying Limerick is worse, that's just wrong. No way. Been to both cities many times over the years. Its very weird because I have lived in a few truly huge cities abroad and the ratio of scummers / junkies / drunks to regular folks seemed much lower. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Dublin is not a kip ...

I love Dublin and its buildings, yes it untidy in parts and yes there is litter around, but isn't that the same in every Capital City? At least the stench from the liffey doesn't seem to be as bad as I remember back in the day.

More tall buildings please, and I'll be even more proud of our Capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm from Tipperary, and grew up with Limerick being my nearest city. I know it well as being a kip. He's not wrong in fairness.

If anything, the media seem to feel guilty for reporting fairly and accurately on Limerick's previous stabbiness, and now go to great lengths to emphasise the positive aspects. But we all know.

We all know what? Did you get stabbed there or something?
    I know Dublin has its quite pleasant aspects, but I never regret leaving there for Limerick. The perma-prescence of dodgy characters in the centre of Dublin can wear you down. Quality of life way higher in Limerick. Riverfest at the weekend had a fantastic buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Dublin is not a kip ...

I love Dublin and its buildings, yes it untidy in parts and yes there is litter around, but isn't that the same in every Capital City? At least the stench from the liffey doesn't seem to be as bad as I remember back in the day.

More tall buildings please, and I'll be even more proud of our Capital.

I fcukin' love Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So you think is ok to kill people who behave antisocially?

I do. Itll have no impact on my family (at least the ones I care about) and the country will be better. Win win.

Drive through clondalkin village for instance. Youll see people just dropping their rubbish as they walk. Not giving a ****. The mill centre carpark is disgusting with people going through the McDonalds drive through and then just dumping the rubbish out the window. These people are of no benefit to society.

Banishing them to leitrim could work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No 1

HOW DARE YOU KNOCK MY HOMETOWN! DUBLIN IS BEAUTIFUL SHE'S PURE AND SWEET. NO ONE INSULTS MY TOWN! UP THE DUBS!

I am a very very PROUD Dubliner. :mad:

Anyone who calls Dublin a kip can FIGHT ME! :mad:

POINT NO 2 ISRAEL

The elders party in the streets with people! Its very liberal.

Its not Europe its balagan! That is probably part of its charm.

So many different cultures etc. Arab Jews Ashkenazim sephardim Ethopian Jews(beta Israel) etc.

I think both Palestinians and Israelis are wonderful people and when peace happens its going to be paradise.

WHO IS THIS UP HIS ARSE ISRAELI JUDGING MY CITY???? HE CAN FIGHT ME!:mad:

I do. Itll have no impact on my family (at least the ones I care about) and the country will be better. Win win.

Drive through clondalkin village for instance. Youll see people just dropping their rubbish as they walk. Not giving a ****. The mill centre carpark is disgusting with people going through the McDonalds drive through and then just dumping the rubbish out the window. These people are of no benefit to society.

Banishing them to leitrim could work too.

Media and political left want a " right to housing" amendment in the constitution, the drive right now is for more stuff for those folks

Anyone know a western country which doesn't pander to those who stick the middle finger up to the tax payer?, I know we are top of the dopey Liberal league table but how does the UK compare or Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nuke-it-from-orbit-gif-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Neither is a bit of litter and a few teenagers smoking weed. Chill, man

It is a small thing but shows a lack of manners and class. Certainly something is lacking with the parenting too. The weed, whatever but little sh*ts should be picking up after themselves.

Media and political left want a " right to housing" amendment in the constitution, the drive right now is for more stuff for those folks

Anyone know a western country which doesn't pander to those who stick the middle finger up to the tax payer?, I know we are top of the dopey Liberal league table but how does the UK compare or Germany?
    we are one of the most economically and social conservative countries in Europe. We may even be the most conservative, post Brexit.

Even other Catholic countries like Poland and Spain have traditionally been far more liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

we are one of the most economically and social conservative countries in Europe. We may even be the most conservative, post Brexit.

Even other Catholic countries like Poland and Spain have traditionally been far more liberal.

yeah well that's not really true

we have some legacy issues that need to be unwound but the Ireland of today is not one of the most economically and socially conservative countries in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The telephone is for you.

It is Ireland 1982 on the phone and they want you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Of course, it's not like we have a gay Indian leader or anything.

The delusion is strong in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah it's not like Poland or Spain have ever had issues with communist or fascist dictatorships.

Mate, if you think Ireland is more traditional Catholicwise than Spain, Poland and I'll even throw in Portugal and Italy then you have no idea what you are taking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Dublin is like Vancouver(although Dublin city is a lot nicer) but they're both good cities because of their nature. Dublin isn't a spectacular looking city overall(although there are lovely parts) but it's a pretty good city. It could do with being bit more centralised though to keep it a bit more buzzing.

Yeah it's not like Poland or Spain have ever had issues with communist or fascist dictatorships.

Mate, if you think Ireland is more traditional Catholicwise than Spain, Poland and I'll even throw in Portugal and Italy then you have no idea what you are taking about.

It does not matter what religion we used to be, its about the culture, Conservative values are viewed as undesirable in this country and personal responsibility is a Conservative value

Poles certainly have little time for knacker ( as in skanger) or traveller culture, ever talk to a pole about travellers, they despise them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Poles certainly have little time for knacker or traveller culture, ever talk to a pole about travellers, they despise them

I'd say you are absolutely mad craic at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not to mention conservative policing.

Mess around down on the Costa and you won't be long getting a nice tap to the back of the legs from the local policia. They couldn't give a sh*te if you film them either.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Of course, it's not like we have a gay Indian leader or anything.

Our Taoiseach is not Indian. He is from Ireland.

We were the last country in Europe to legalise mainstream access to abortion. We are perhaps the only country in Europe that still charges women for the contraceptive pill. Our divorce laws remain firmly Conservative.

Our economic model is decidedly Anglo Saxon, having never truly embraced continental social democracy. In a similar vein, we favour low taxation unlike most other EU states, and despite much domestic whimpering, are considered by the OECD to have a low-tax, low-welfare system of governance. We are socially and economically conservative relative to our neighbours.

People think that because they voted for Repeal and gay marriage the country has magically transformed itself. In fact, as Britain prepares to leave the EU, we are set to replace it as possibly the most conservative EU member state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Only of they're Palestinians it would seem.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

nullzero wrote: »
    Only of they're Palestinians it would seem.

No thinks this. No one here and no one in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

People think that because they voted for Repeal and gay marriage the country has magically transformed itself. In fact, as Britain prepares to leave the EU, we are set to replace it as possibly the most conservative EU member state.

On what basis are you saying this?

We were the first country to bring in gay marriage by referendum, repeal was a landslide and our divorce laws are likely to be reformed this month.

Our taxes are actually quite progressive... people on minimum wage pay very little, people who earn a lot pay a lot. And we have a significant safety net in the form of our welfare system, look after pensioners handsomely. This is all left-wing stuff.

We have no particularly conservative political parties, no right wing, and no alt right (not counting renua etc because they don't really count).

• Advertisement

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    On what basis are you saying this?

We were the first country to bring in gay marriage by referendum, repeal was a landslide and our divorce laws are likely to be reformed this month.
    I love that we did this, and I hope it means further progress, but for the love of Jaysis can we stop pretending it makes us any better than our neighbours?

We did it because we are the only European country which had no choice in the matter. None of them created a constitutional ban to begin with, or if they did, were able to change it without a plebiscite.

We had to have a plebiscite because we are pretty unique in legally requiring one. And by té way, having a vote on whether other citizens deserve basic human dignity is no great achievement. Tyranny of the majority, and all of that.

After the celebrations ended, I know people who were seething about the fact that others were voting on their civil rights. It was a bittersweet victory at best.

Advertisement