Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we used to Dublin being a Kip?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Actually I think its the opposite, that we dont appreciate dublin. I dont know what is so great about it, but 8 milion tourists dont visit a kip annually

And yeh sorry to bring the military aspect into but how does teenagers littering even register on the anti social scale considering what goes on in israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dreamliner wrote: »
    Today I picked up a friend of mine who has travelled here from Israel on business for a few days. After stopping by his hotel we went out for coffee.

Whilst sitting having our coffee in town 5 young guys and girls started loitering outside and then just dumped all the food they were eating onto the ground including their packaging, it was quite disgusting if I'm honest. They were also smoking joints of weed.

What was most noticeable was our reactions, to me it was just some troublesome kids who are 2 a penny in this city and their behaviour wasn't anything i hadn't seen before. However for my friend it was very different, he could not believe what he had seen and held his eyes wide open in amazement. He couldn't believe what they had done, and not just that, but that nobody seemed to have batted an eyelid. Apparently such normalised anti social behaviour like that just doesn't exist in Israel and if someone did that, someone their senior would force them to clean up their miss, grab them by the ear if necessary. The fact they were smoking weed at what appeared to be 12 years of age finished it off for him, he couldn't understand how any society deems that normal. I just shrugged my shoulders ... i even remember a lad had to have alcohol pumped out his stomach in primary school cos he overdrank in a field one night, again nothing new for me.

Moving on then we were walking along the liffey and became the unwilling victims of random drunken abuse from a couple of junkies. My friend genuinely seemed scared and wanted to get the hell out of the situation, again anything they said just went in one ear and out the other for me, it's the same s***t i've heard them say to randomers since being a child in this city. He just isn't used to such situations in Israel and was adamant they would be approached by law enforcement if it occurred there.

Comparing the reactions of the 2 of us to both situations he witnessed on his very first day in this city, is it fair to say we as people born or living in Dublin for extensive periods of time have become used to such anti social behaviour and it become normalised, when it shouldn't be?

Israelis don't fcuk around, delinquency culture is the biggest threat facing this country going forward and obviously the charecters in the OP represent the low level form of delinquency culture

What I wouldn't give for a hard right government to come to power for ten years, liberals have ruined this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Is your friend a member of the Judean people's front?
    Because if he is he can fuck off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

An unadulterated kip, to quote Joe Duffy.

I'm sorry OP but how on earth did it not occur to you that Israel should not be an example to any other country in terms of how it organises and regulates its society.

But also, Irish people are amazing for our self-loathing belief that this is the worst place in the world, and we're all terrible. Is it a relic of Catholicism, or colonisation, or what?

Inbreeding?

From israel and never saw anything like it lmao. Israel is a kip, even worse than Limerick I heard but I'm not 100% on that ?

Nowhere is worse than Limerick in terms of the proportion of scum

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Actually I think its the opposite, that we dont appreicate dublin. I dont know what is so great about it, but 8 milion tourists dont visit a kip annually
    Indeed. I had some friends over from the US recently, and one of the girls complained that Dublin had been disappointing. I asked why, assuming she had found it too expensive or too dirty, in fact she had been hoping it would be quite grungey, and was disappointed to find herself in a fairly sterile, tidy city which didn't remotely resemble Into The West.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Limerick was never as bad as it was portrayed in the media. It took an unwarranted kicking from the national media, many of whom would stick around for only a couple of days and film unflattering looking footage from a couple of sink estates and high-tail it back to Dublin.

It's the equivalent of ITV rocking up in Dublin, filming a few crap looking estates in West-Dublin, and making out like that's the entire story of the city.

A few (admittedly awful) families trashed the reputation of the city. The last few times I've been back, the place is well back on track and with all the development happening in the city centre, my money is on it being the most livable city in the country once it's all completed.

Yeah the "regeneration project " has really made it livable

Moving the scum class into middle class areas, parts of tipperary are now unlivable too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Today I picked up a friend of mine who has travelled here from Israel ?

The peaceful Mediterranean paradise you mean?
    However for my friend it was very different, he could not believe what he had seen and held his eyes wide open in amazement. He couldn't believe what they had done, and not just that, but that nobody seemed to have batted an eyelid. ?

What he meant was that he was amazed that a group of kids could gather long enough to litter, without at least being teargassed, if not shot dead by the military.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    You can tell your friend that this happens because there is ZERO accountability for anything in this country. The scumbags in this country are well aware of that and couldn't give a rats. You can also tell your friend that our current leaders have totally ignored domestic issues so along with a massive spike in gang warfare, our fair city is slowly going down the tubes.

All you need to tell the Israeli tourist is that expecting citizens to behave to even a basic standard in Ireland is viewed as right wing oppression and that those litterbugs are actually heroes, fighting the capitalists

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Delinquency culture is the biggest threat facing this country going forward and obviously the charecters in the OP represent the low level form of delinquency culture

What I wouldn't give for a hard right government to come to power for ten years, liberals have ruined this country

You'd need to appoint hard right leaning judges as well!

And even if you did, the wishy washy turds in Human Rights quangos all the way up to the European Court of Human Rights would still prevent you from taking any effective action to tackle the scourge of Irish skangers.

You would need to bring Lugs Brannigan back to life, clone him; give his clones anti-stab vests, extra large truncheons, tasers and cans of pepper spray before setting them loose on the mean streets of Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Lots of posters saying that Israel's military policy should be considered separately from the day-to-day happenings on the streets. Well fundamentally they can't be separated, there probably is less anti-social behaviour in Israel because every young person is forced into the army for a year, where they learn discipline and manners, regardless of how much Natalie and Damo complain.
    In Austria they have a similar set up. Would do no harm in Ireland I say. Would save use a fortune on prisons, free legal aid and street cleaning, tackling obesity etc.

Ah it was pure rough there in the late 1990s in fairness. Certainly, parts of it were always lovely suburbs and were unscathed by crime and poverty, but it must have been a miserable place for a lot of its residents to grow up in.

In my part of Tipperary, having friends from Limerick was a euphemism for being somewhat dodgy. It was a place the bad kids went on weekends. A lot of it was exaggeration, and I know the city has improved a lot recently. The University has done wonders for that city, and that's wonderful.

It still seems to have plenty of problems, all of which stem from poverty, and if anything I suspect that the media have taken on board the criticism of their coverage (some of which is deserved) but now there are problems in Limerick that the media almost seem reluctant to cover.

The problems in Limerick stem from the lack of proper policing and law and order, the scum are not hungry

Israelis don't fcuk around, delinquency culture is the biggest threat facing this country going forward and obviously the charecters in the OP represent the low level form of delinquency culture

What I wouldn't give for a hard right government to come to power for ten years
    I can almost hear your erection dude. It ain't happening. Mr Hitler is dead, the future is wanton liberals littering the streets and smoking joints of weed and eating whole wads of crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The delinquency culture exists because it is rewarded (handsomely) in this country.
    What we need is just a "real" center to center-right party to redress the downward spiral of our society. No need for a hard-right government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yeah the "regeneration project " has really made it livable

Moving the scum class into middle class areas, parts of tipperary are now unlivable too

I know you're itching for a rant to give out about degenerate leftists so I'll just leave it there.

Squatter wrote: »
    You'd need to appoint hard right leaning judges as well!

And even if you did, the wishy washy turds in Human Rights quangos all the way up to the European Court of Human Rights would still prevent you from taking any effective action to tackle the scourge of Irish skangers.

You would need to bring Lugs Brannigan back to life, clone him; give his clones anti-stab vests, extra large truncheons, tasers and cans of pepper spray before setting them loose on the mean streets of Dublin!

That's easily solved, disband all the quangos, the poverty industry hacks can go whistle

I know you're itching for a rant to give out about degenerate leftists so I'll just leave it there.

The leftists ( who write policy) are enablers of the degenerate scum who are given free reign to ruin decent people's lives

Liberals are enemies of the decent law abiding tax payer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Sounds like you were a bad tour guide OP, where exactly did you take your friend for coffee?

Can't imagine a stroll through Trinity for a coffee on Dawson Street, followed by a walk in Stephen's Green and a quick drink on Camden Street would have left such a bad impression?

What about a visit to the National Museum of Ireland followed by coffee at a hipster spot in Smithfield?

Dublin is a thriving, vibrant city and it would have been very easy to show that off with a little thought.

I lived on Talbot Street for a year, and I hated it. It's a scummy area, and it often occurred to me that tourists arriving at Connolly or Bus Aras would get a very bad first impression of the city.

I do think we let young people get away with too much though, there should be more of an 'it takes a village' attitude.

The leftists ( who write policy) are enablers of the degenerate scum who are given free reign to ruin decent people's lives

Haha, excellent call Yurt! #onetrickpony

Hal3000 wrote: »
    You can tell your friend that this happens because there is ZERO accountability for anything in this country. The scumbags in this country are well aware of that and couldn't give a rats. You can also tell your friend that our current leaders have totally ignored domestic issues so along with a massive spike in gang warfare, our fair city is slowly going down the tubes.

Overcrowded prisons, meaning that convicted skangers (and worse) are being released almost as soon as they are jailed, while we're still waiting for the State to build that new prison out in Ashbourne that Mad Dog McDowell promised us 14 years ago! :mad:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/north-dublin-site-selected-for-prison-complex-1.409630

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    The delinquency culture exists because it is rewarded (handsomely) in this country.
    What we need is just a "real" center to center-right party to redress the downward spiral of our society. No need for a hard-right government.

Hard right by our standards would be moderate to the vast majority of countries, we are a profoundly leftist state

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

cgcsb wrote: »
    Lots of posters saying that Israel's military policy should be considered separately from the day-to-day happenings on the streets. Well fundamentally they can't be separated, there probably is less anti-social behaviour in Israel because every young person is forced into the army for a year, where they learn discipline and manners, regardless of how much Natalie and Damo complain.
    In Austria they have a similar set up. Would do no harm in Ireland I say. Would save use a fortune on prisons, free legal aid and street cleaning, tackling obesity etc.

A year ? It's between 2 years and two years and eight months , there's no particular issue with it either.Most Israelis serve and accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Kids throwing rubbish on the ground is indeed a disgrace and makes my blood boil but it's bad parenting- not the government not the Courts.

I see plenty of adults doing likewise and throwing fag butts out of car windows which really pisses me off.

I live in England and the same happens here. A few weeks back I saw two guys (early 20s) toss their McDonalds cups into bushes across from my house as I just happened to be looking out the window.

A year ? It's between 2 years and two years and eight months , there's no particular issue with it either.Most Israelis serve and accept it.

Eh yeah, because they aren't given a choice in the matter.

I don't think you mean what you are saying. Most Irish people are 'liberal' in the international sense, i.e. they support access to public housing, public healthcare, free at point education, same sex marriage etc.

That doesn't translate to also supporting consequence free scum baggery.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Sounds like you were a bad tour guide OP, where exactly did you take your friend for coffee?

Can't imagine a stroll through Trinity for a coffee on Dawson Street, followed by a walk in Stephen's Green and a quick drink on Camden Street would have left such a bad impression?

What about a visit to the National Museum of Ireland followed by coffee at a hipster spot in Smithfield?

Dublin is a thriving, vibrant city and it would have been very easy to show that off with a little thought.

I lived on Talbot Street for a year, and I hated it. It's a scummy area, and it often occurred to me that tourists arriving at Connolly or Bus Aras would get a very bad first impression of the city.

I do think we let young people get away with too much though, there should be more of an 'it takes a village' attitude.

No, just a decent pair of parents to instill values, that's out of fashion of course

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

It funny how posts descend from Dublin to Israel and into Limerick, its a discussion not a comparison...

I'd say a year would radically change Irish society for the better. 2 seems excessive.

max you mad thing, have a lie-down, you'll give yourself a stroke with all your panicking.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    I don't think you mean what you are saying. Most Irish people are 'liberal' in the international sense, i.e. they support access to public housing, public healthcare, free at point education, same sex marriage etc.

That doesn't translate to also supporting consequence free scum baggery.

"most Irish people" don't influence policy, the leftist media, academia and quangocrat class do.

Advertisement