Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have tried lots of different socks. I thought steigen were my brand. I have ordered some new socks and i'm going to try doubling up.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted... have you tried really good quality double-skinned socks? I wear the 1000mile ones, they're like a glove on my feet... I actually do a little internal aaahhhhh of comfort when I put them on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

DBB wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted... have you tried really good quality double-skinned socks? I wear the 1000mile ones, they're like a glove on my feet... I actually do a little internal aaahhhhh of comfort when I put them on :o

I wear any old socks - really need to look into decent ones but luckily haven't had much problems with blisters. My toes nails go black and fall off regularly though!

I'd like to throw a question out, just for general discussion on it.
    How important do people feel it is to familiarise yourself with a course before you run it? And I mean getting out and walking, running, or cycling it, or at the very least driving it, beforehand? I know that a knowledge of the course profile will shape race strategy, but aside from that, how do you feel it could influence things?
    In my head, the miles *seem* to go by a bit faster when I don't know where I am :D
    Really interested to hear how it is for everyone else!

eabha19 wrote: »
    My toes nails go black and fall off regularly though!

Oh now there's a delight I haven't yet had the pleasure of :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

I haven't tried them, but i'll go get some! Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭py

I use the Feetures Elite no show socks though on my LSR/Races I mostly go with compression socks. I will always do a heel lock though. Don't suffer from blisters at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

How important do people feel it is to familiarise yourself with a course before you run it? And I mean getting out and walking, running, or cycling it, or at the very least driving it, beforehand? I know that a knowledge of the course profile will shape race strategy, but aside from that, how do you feel it could influence things?
    In my head, the miles *seem* to go by a bit faster when I don't know where I am :D

Here you go: DCM drive by :cool:

I ran DCM last year having never laid eyes on 99% of the route and it didn't hurt me. For those living in Dublin then absolutely it can be useful to run some of the route in training, but if that's not convenient then don't stress it. We will have plenty of course previews and the like in the lead up to the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

TBH, I wouldn't think it necessary to familiarise yourself with the route (or parts of) before the race. Neither would I suggest that prior knowledge of the route has any particular advantages.
    Although I was already familiar with most of the areas I ran through last year, the only reason I knew the actual route was more out of curiosity than anything.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I ran DCM last year having never laid eyes on 99% of the route and it didn't hurt me. For those living in Dublin then absolutely it can be useful to run some of the route in training, but if that's not convenient then don't stress it. We will have plenty of course previews and the like in the lead up to the big day.

Is it sad that I've watched the drive-by video before?:o
    I'm a dub living in the boglands now, and know reasonable chunks of the route... have run the last few miles of it a few times in the Women's Mini Marathon. But I'd never have thought about the other bits from a running point of view. I think, for me, there's an element of ignorance is bliss :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

That link is great, thank you! I like to run the Clonskeagh Rd/Roebuck Heartbreaker/down Fosters section and finding it helpful mentally just to know how long it is until the downhill part. I’m going to try to follow that to the finish one of these days as I think it’ll help towards the end of the race to be familiar with it.

And running/racing in Phoenix Park I find super helpful as it’s quite tricky at least for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

I haven't tried them, but i'll go get some! Thank you!

Hi Sunday runner, my friend had similar problems, she bought an alcohol spray in the chemist which helped. She tried so many socks and still no relief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

coogy wrote: »
    Haha, this post is almost word for word how I would have assessed my own progress at the same time last year. :D
    Enjoy the rest of your journey!!

Haha really? So how well did the rest of your training go & the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Well I saw the physio. Bad news. Apparently I've a weird form of shin splints affecting my calves. I have to take rest of the week off and go and visit again sat. Hopefully i can get back to it next week. Bit of a disaster really

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

I have tried lots of different socks. I thought steigen were my brand. I have ordered some new socks and i'm going to try doubling up. Never heard of the heel lock, i'm going to look into that. Thanks!

I have done more than 650km in my runners, so i've ordered a new pair. They do seem mostly OK, but not as supportive as before.

The biggest blister is better today, but still painful so i'll stay off of it tonight too.

Hi.
    I challenge anyone to try the socks in the link below.
    Very well priced also. 3 pairs for less than 15 euro delivered. Worth a try anyway.
    I have used them all. 1000 mile included and still find these to be the most comfortable.
    Use them for all my long runs, and cycling.

https://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/mens_3_pair_storm_bloc_ankle_socks?colour=White

Edit. It is actually 21.57 Euro for 6 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

How was week 10 for you?
    I loved it. As I said previously, I am really enjoying the training. I was anxious about the 19mile run and it has turned out to be my most enjoyable run to date. I thought this week would have been a disaster for me but it was the opposite.

Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    I have gone from telling nobody that I'm doing a marathon to telling anyone who will listen! When I first signed up (back in Nov) I told nobody because I didn't believe I would actually do it. My whole relationship with running has also changed. It's not a chore or something I 'have' to do. I plan my week around my runs now rather than planning my runs around my week. This is great for my health. I know we all have challenges which we face in our personal lives - I have faced quite a few significant ones in the past couple of months and running is what I feel is holding me together at times. It gives me a chance to think and a chance to spend a bit of quality time with myself. Being able to achieve this gives me self-belief. I know that I'm good enough. It probably sounds a bit ridiculous, but it makes me feel good to know that this is something that I am going to do and once it's done, nobody can ever take that away from me. It's my achievement. I did it.

What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    I don't want to sound like teacher's pet :pac: ... but, I think I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. I've only missed one run in the whole plan and that was because of something major that happened back in week 1. I'm hydrating every day, I've avoided takeaway and alcohol since the plan began (this is not the sacrifice it sounds, I'm not a big drinker in the first place), I do my stretching routine 3 times per week, sports massage every month, I'm getting 8hrs sleep each night and I'm doing yoga every Monday.

I would love to do some S&C but I just don't think I can fit anything else into my schedule. The 2 rest days are not just an opportunity for me to recover from the running, but also a chance to phone my dad, spend time with my beloved dog, meet a friend for coffee, watch some TV or pull my weight around the house with cleaning etc :p

What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    I know what I'm wearing and how I will fuel. I had planned on getting a flip belt, so if I am going to consider that for DCM I know that I will have to get that sorted pretty soon. However, I'm tempted to just go with the small pouch I have and carry a 250ml bottle, and switch it out at each water stop, which is what I have been currently doing.

Edited to say: I'm all ears and want to hear any advice on what I can do to improve as I know I'm not perfect!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How was week 10 for you?
    I loved it. As I said previously, I am really enjoying the training. I was anxious about the 19mile run and it has turned out to be my most enjoyable run to date. I thought this week would have been a disaster for me but it was the opposite.

Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    I have gone from telling nobody that I'm doing a marathon to telling anyone who will listen! When I first signed up (back in Nov) I told nobody because I didn't believe I would actually do it. My whole relationship with running has also changed. It's not a chore or something I 'have' to do. I plan my week around my runs now rather than planning my runs around my week. This is great for my health. I know we all have challenges which we face in our personal lives - I have faced quite a few significant ones in the past couple of months and running is what I feel is holding me together at times. It gives me a chance to think and a chance to spend a bit of quality time with myself. Being able to achieve this gives me self-belief. I know that I'm good enough.

What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    I don't want to sound like teacher's pet :pac: ... but, I think I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. I've only missed one run in the whole plan and that was because of something major that happened back in week 1. I'm hydrating every day, I've avoided takeaway and alcohol since the plan began (this is not the sacrifice it sounds, I'm not a big drinker in the first place), I do my stretching routine 3 times per week, sports massage every month, I'm getting 8hrs sleep each night and I'm doing yoga every Monday.

I would love to do some S&C but I just don't think I can fit anything else into my schedule. The 2 rest days are not just an opportunity for me to recover from the running, but also a chance to phone my dad, meet a friend for coffee, watch some TV or pull my weight around the house with cleaning etc :p

What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    I know what I'm wearing and how I will fuel. I had planned on getting a flip belt, so if I am going to consider that for DCM I know that I will have to get that sorted pretty soon. However, I'm tempted to just go with the small pouch I have and carry a 250ml bottle, and switch it out at each water stop, which is what I have been currently doing.

Haha teachers pet...love it ;)

saffron22 wrote: »
    Well I saw the physio. Bad news. Apparently I've a weird form of shin splints affecting my calves. I have to take rest of the week off and go and visit again sat. Hopefully i can get back to it next week. Bit of a disaster really

It's bad news yes, but not a disaster by any means. Fingers crossed the few days rest helps.

We keep bees. Their honey is to die for.

Sounds delicious!

Another thing that's bothering me... getting S&C sessions in these days

I feel the exact same about S&C. I might try your plan of doing a bit of core at least.

DCM is next month :eek::D

:eek::eek::eek:

Also knew it was going to be slightly tougher mentally as i had to leave my LSR till Sunday

I definitely have this fear. I have to get up at the crack of dawn (or even before her these days!) because if I start seeing everyone else's run on Strava already, I get panicky! I suppose at least we will all be running at the same time on Oct 27 so we won't have that to worry about! :D
    I honestly think my progress is amazing, not for one min saying I'm amazing haha but to see the progress as each week comes & goes totally amazes me :eek: I thought these distances were only run by REAL runners - well guess what i am a real runner ;)
    You are most certainly a real runner! It is quite amazing to see the progress each week, that is so true!

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    I'm getting the runs in and my races have improved too, which is just great! There was a comment made last week by one of the mentors - Huzzah maybe? Comment was something about leaving your marathon in a race long before the DCM. Had some school gate chats this morning that got me thinking and second guessing myself. One of the women did 18 miles last two weeks in a row as her LSR and she is a novice much like myself. Someone else advised me that I need to do 18 next Sunday and do 20 miles at least twice before the big day. Now, don't worry i'm sticking to my plan, but part of me is wondering - if i was to be doing the training these Mammies are doing, would I be leaving my marathon in my home town??

Those mammies don't know the details of the plan you are following, so you are right to ignore their advice. The long run is an important part of the training for sure, but its not the only part - the midweek mileage also forms an important part of the overall picture. The plan is designed to progress at an appropriate rate and get you safely to the start line and in a position to reach the finish line in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sorbet

That's fantastic thanks.

Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    - How was week ten for you?
    Week 10 was a mixed bag. Start of the week I found tricky. Body was tired after the Frank Duffy and just wasn't moving as comfortably as I would like. A busy work schedule also had me feeling 'meh' and very drained. However, I got through the midweek runs and a last minute change in work schedule meant i got to do my LSR refreshed and energised on Sunday. Really worked on lowering my pace, felt really strong, confident and very proud of myself once completing my longest run to date.

3m @ 10.13
    7m @11.04
    4m @ 11.17
    15m @ 11.36

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    Listening to my body is starting to become a big one - not forcing myself to stick to a particular time or pace on my watch just because i want to.

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    I need to keep working on lowering my pace AND pay more attention to my cross days. So far i've been doing a bit of yoga, walking and some days nothing - I think I could be more strict with these and utilise better.

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    I need to work on my head. I find this is the biggest obstacle for me on my long runs especially as the legs get tired - need to ramp up the 'I can do it' positivity! I also need to remember that my aim is to simply finish and enjoy the experience while doing so. My competitive side can sometimes get the better of me and have me running at ridiculous paces.

Wishing everyone a great week and thank you for all the advice and support so far :)

There is no need to go mad on the cross-training - some walking and yoga is perfect. You should have a day or two of rest in there with, with no running and no cross-training.

Much better on the paces this week - still room for improvement but well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sorbet

https://youtu.be/FQ_oVgQveyo

Spotted this on you tube - you can see yourself crossing the line at the Frank Duffy 10 mile.....fame at last:)

Haha really? So how well did the rest of your training go & the day :D

The training? That was textbook from start to finish. I was so disciplined...probably missed about two runs in total. Loved everything about it and was raring to go come race day.

As for the day itself? Well, I achieved my goal of sub-4 but I was in no way prepared for the mental and physical battle that I was faced with to cross that line in under 4 hours.

If you have 10 minutes to spare........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108488686&postcount=115

coogy wrote: »
    The training? That was textbook from start to finish. I was so disciplined...probably missed about two runs in total. Loved everything about it and was raring to go come race day.

As for the day itself? Well, I achieved my goal of sub-4 but I was in no way prepared for the mental and physical battle that I was faced with to cross that line in under 4 hours.

If you have 10 minutes to spare........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108488686&postcount=115

Wow that's some race report, great detail! Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted! I'm not going to lie that has scared the s@#t out of me :eek:
    I don't really know what to say (believe me that very very rarely happens) i just hope i can make a plan for the day but adjust accordingly & this is where i know for sure experience comes into it, which as a novice i don't have!! So for now i will follow the plan, listen to the advice given & see how it goes!

Thanks a mill for sharing, that's probably the reality check i need ;)

Wow that's some race report, great detail! Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted! I'm not going to lie that has scared the s@#t out of me :eek:
    I don't really know what to say (believe me that very very rarely happens) i just hope i can make a plan for the day but adjust accordingly & this is where i know for sure experience comes into it, which as a novice i don't have!! So for now i will follow the plan, listen to the advice given & see how it goes!

Thanks a mill for sharing, that's probably the reality check i need ;)

Haha, don't fret, that's just one person's experience out of tens of thousands of runners on the day, many of whom will have had very different experiences to mine.

Don't forget though, running a marathon is not meant to be easy but you are in excellent hands with your three mentors and with the great advice you've been given, you will be in a much better position that most as you stand at that start line on 27th October!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Rest up @saffron22. You'll be back!

Thanks for the reassuring words @Mr. Guappa.

I'm giving the Grant Thornton run a skip. I am going to run tonight at home though. I think slow miles are a better plan, rather than a 5km run and plod to make up the deficit.

Blisters are much much better after a few nights soaking in salt water. I have vaseline, 1000 mile socks ready to go and i'll do the heel lock too. Fingers crossed I don't get any more blisters.

@coogy wow such a detailed race report. Sorry it hear it didn't go to plan for you, but it was still an amazing run given the challenges you had with cramps and pain. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

How was week ten for you?

Week ten included my first missed run, Wednesday's session/easy run. I'd decided to cut the session down after FD10, but instead went to the physio to get hip/glute niggles looked at. Back for a longer than usual Thursday run to make up some of the missed miles, but still down a bit on my target.

Other than the missed run, everything else, including the Sunday long run with some miles @ MP went really well.

I'm lucky in that I've followed structured training plans before, with L coaching me to some good PB's at distances up to HM last year (1:39:33 in Charleville). Since starting training for the marathon, I've become more conscious of diet, hence the protien bars and nuts on my desk. I just need to start eating them instead of going to the vending machine for chocolate and crisps.

Having raced a few half marathons previously, the idea of stepping up to the full marathon distance was daunting. Some of the long runs have been tough, but in each instance, I've come back to the same distance stronger, a case in point being my first 18 miler, where I struggled for the final few miles, but on Sunday I was much more comfortable at the same distance, even with the addition of MP miles. It's really giving me the confidence that I can do this.

I still need to make some dietary improvements and I probably need to cut down on the booze more than I already have.

I also need to include more stretching in my daily routine. I've a few niggles and I've no doubt that more focussed stretching can and does help with them.

I've only started experimenting with gels, so this is definitley a work in progress, but I should hopefully have it sorted within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Hello all,
    Complete newbie here as I just discovered this thread by chance searching for some info and have to say its been great reading to see all the differing aspects relating to training and races etc for everyone. Some great insight and advice that I'm already taking on board!

So bit of background...this will be my first ever attempt at the marathon distance (not to mention 1st 10miler done and 1st HM to come). Running on/off for a few years but never anything serious or more than 1 (maybe 2 runs a week) at 5-8k distances to go with some cycling and gym classes!

Been focused on marathon since approx Mid-June really and working off 3/4 runs a week pending how body is and with work too. Following a plan which has 2 sessions during week which total out between 10 -15k each (distances have built up over time) and generally each one would include warm up/cool down easy runs and then middle section of sessions which could be Fartleks/Intervals mixed pace based off 5/10/21km paces/long progression runs etc. Do a short easy recovery run 30/40mins on the night in between these sessions and then LSR each Sunday! Up to 16 miles on LSR with 18 planned for next Sunday! LSR's ran at approx 6m30s pace/km. (I have left out another night of easy recovery running as just wouldn't be able to run 5 nights on ankles/knees).

Recent race times include: 5km - 23.40, 8km - 39.10, SD10km - 51.15 (not a great race), FD10miler - 1hr 32mins. Aim for Dublin race series HM is in and around that 2hr mark.

Still figuring what I'll aim for timewise in the DCM so all advice welcome there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Unknownability

How was week 10 for you?

It was good, low mileage as I was racing in Tullamore on Saturday.

The main change for me is the distances that we are covering, prior to starting this plan I thought that every weekend was going to be a struggle and I would end up walking half of the LSRS. I can honestly say that with the exception of the 10 mile and the Half I have never been outside of my comfort zone and wanting to stop or walk.

Changes that I'm thinking about, changing my runners I have a pair that I love but can start to feel the bounce going out of them and I just don't love the vapourfly back up pair that I bought.

Changing my shorts, want a pair of 2-1s that have a large zip pocket. Hard to find online,as can't get dimensions of pocket.

Improving my warm up, this was an eye opener in Tullamore just seeing the number of people buzzing around beforehand where I only do a simple static stretch.

I haven't ran since Saturday, a mixture of the All Ireland and my hamstring strain is still very prevalent. Going to do easy miles with strides tonight and then the 8m tomorrow.

For anyone feeling adventurous, the Paris marathon is currently reopen for entries. First week in April.

Advertisement