Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Why did I leave the LSR until today :( On a side note i don't watch GAA and I'm hoping the roads will be empty with everyone watching the match!! Enjoy your day folks, I'm hitting the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi Huzzah..

No problem doing LSR in Spain, I'll have to do the 16miler the following week there, so I'm already signing up to one on the sat. So it's really what's better..

A) 19m Friday evening here, then 20 miler Thursday morning here.
    B) 20m Monday Spanish heat and 16m Saturday Spanish heat.

My preference, but open to guidance is 4m easy today (instead of tomorrow) and 8m easy tomorrow (instead of Tuesday) then rest to Thursday, which gives me 2 full days. Thoughts?

And there's no way you can do the 20 on the Saturday? When do you fly back from Spain?

If neither is an option, I'm leaning towards B with a shortened second LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

43 miles done this week, including an 18 mile LSR which incorporated the last 17 miles of the DCM route. The south side part of the DCM route includes a lot of places I don't know at all (lifelong northsider!) so it was great to get to know those areas a bit, find out where the uphills and downhills are, etc. I was tired afterwards but no more so than usual, and on my short recovery run today my legs felt fine.

One small annoyance about the LSR was that I accidentally punched myself in the mouth while getting ready! Trying to pull on the elasticated armband that holds my phone, it popped out of my hand and my hand flew back and hit my top lip, which started bleeding quite a lot. Once I started running, though, it wasn't too painful, except while trying to drink out of my water bottle.

Doing the long run on Saturdays instead of Sundays is really suiting me for a couple of reasons, but one of them is that I get to do a recovery run on Sunday, which I feel is good training for running on tired legs, and also stops my legs from stiffening up completely after the LSR. I can't run at all on Mondays so I'll probably stick with Saturday LSRs from now on. I'm sad to miss the parkruns but I'll get back to them after the marathon.

I also did a 9-mile mid-length run on Thursday with five miles at PMP of 9 min miles. I know the rest of you are doing a lot more PMP miles at once but I'm still working my way up after neglecting this aspect for a good few weeks. I found it hard, and my heart rate rose to quite a high level during the PMP miles. I'll see how the next few weeks of PMP miles go, but I'll probably have to revise my pace aspirations.

Oh and the best thing about this week... getting a taster pack of High 5 gels from Amazon with seven different flavours including the rather bizarre Banana. I used Apple and Berry yesterday and both were fine. Actually starting to look forward to my gel breaks now that I've got used to taking them!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Tullamore Half Marathon Report

Race lead up
    After last weeks 14 mile LSR, I was feeling confident again. It was a busy week and I took full advantage of the taper! I ran 3 miles Tuesday and that was all. Went for a deep tissue massage to Agnes in Tullamore who has hands of steel…not for the faint hearted! My left side was very very tight. I ate carbs all week…

Race morning
    Up at 7am, had a good nights sleep and ate porridge, raisins and honey washed down with some instant coffee and 800ml water with a Nuum tablet. Brought a banana and a kids water bottle with me. 45 mins drive and on arrival in Tullamore went to McDonalds for a ‘real’ coffee. Parked at the Harriers, toilet visit, stretched and a quick run around the car park. Next thing I knew I was chatting to DBB and my husband had made his way to the start line with his running buddy.

Goal pre race: 2hr 30

Race
    Couldn’t believe how quickly the first 2.5 miles passed by. In hindsight that was probably because I was going faster than I should have been! In the 10 mins per mile pace was not the plan!

Miles 3-6 were fine at 11.19. At the halfway mark I was doing well and I was thinking I might even get in in 2hr 20.

The excitement of that thought, plus seeing some friends waiting for the relay handover at 6.55 miles and then moving to mile 7 which is always my strongest brought me back into the 10s. Way too fast.

Levelled up again and at 10 miles, I knew I had a new 10 mile PR by almost a minute.

Everything then slowed down. There was a deluge of rain at some point which didn’t bother me although it did wash sweat into my eyes as it really was a heavy downpour. Into the 12s and the ball of my right foot was sore along with a pull in right groin. Two well intentioned male pacers came along to “bring me home” with about 1.3 miles to go and whilst they did get me back from the 12s and into the 11s they drove me mad! I am a lonely goat who likes to run with my own company. They chatted away, trying to motivate me I know - but it irritated the hell out of me. They called on the crowd to cheer on Kathleen…I cursed and mumbled and they must have thought I was a right miserable old cow!

We got to the finish line and got the medal! My time - 2hr 30 as predicted. Husbands was 1hr 52.

Wasn’t hungry for hours afterwards - and felt more like I was going to vomit. I had eaten 2 packs of honey stinger chews and although they had been fine the week before, they caused major bloating and gas this time around. That may have been because I was full of carbs already. I only ate them to get the recommended grams of carbs per hour into my body - as opposed to really needing them.

Afterwards relaxed in the Bridge House leisure centre - a few aches and stiffness. The Italian and some gin! Home this morning to no house party and a fairly clean house!

Overall, Tullamore Harriers put on a super race and nothing could be faulted. I have to be honest though - I found the course quite challenging with the long drags and constant up and down elevation.

Learning: (1) I might need new runners - my Brooks were bought in May but the right one inside seems very dented down and thats where the pain was. (2) I need to stick to the planned pace FROM THE START! (3) I don’t need to eat 2 bags of jellies…in fact as this moment I never want to see a jelly again. (4) Gin leads to supermacs!

Worries: I really struggled with the last 1.5 miles. I really don't know how realistic it is to think I am going to be able to do 26.2 miles in 8 weeks time.

Lovely to meet DBB and super well done on that PB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Relax! You'll be well able for 26.2 miles....IF you heed the advice about pacing. It's as simple as that. In DCM you can't afford those type of surges.

• Advertisement

Tullamore Half Marathon Race Report

Race Day - I was up nice and early got my gear ready, which barring a disaster will be what I will run the marathon in. Had a breakfast of brown bread and eggs with two pints of water over the course of the morning one with half a zero tab and the other a diaoralite.

Got there signed up all went very seemlessly warm up was a few static stretches (will look at improving this) and then walking down to the start line. 

Miles 1 & 2 (6'53 & 6'51)

These went exactly to plan stayed a few feet behind the pacer, I really don't understand the jockeying for position to stand as close as possible to the pacer. A few times I'd to completely check my run as someone wanted to get closer. 

Miles 3,4 & 5 (7'16, 7'06, 7'04)

So I then entered the next stage of my plan to pace myself, this worked for the first mile I was very happy with how close I got it myself. 

A group the caught up with me and got chatting to a lovely local runner, it was like running with a celebrity as all the supporters knew her name. 

The pace started to rise again and when chatting she'd mentioned she'd like to go sub 95, and based on the explosion I had in the Mullingar 10 I was concise not to let this happen again so again decided to go back to my plan and slowed down.

Miles 6,7,8, & 9 (7'21, 7'19, 7'10, 7'10)

I can't recall too much about these miles they just felt like miles that had to be done and not enjoyed or remembered. 

I took a gel somewhere around this time and that went fine first time taking a caffeine gel, passed the transition point and half way and did a quick mental check of the body and everything was fine rather than good. 

Had a quick check of my watch and worked out I was on course to beat my Mullingar 10 Mile time of I kept going so that became the short term goal. 

Mile 10 (7'25)

A defining mile for me. About half way through I got the sensation you get right before your hamstring goes, horrible feeling.

So I slowed down and realized it wasn't going to go completely but I'd not be able to keep up 7'15 miles without jeopardizing my main goal the marathon. After another quick check of the watch I worked out that another 3 miles at PMP would give me sub 95 which I would be delighted with prior to racing.

Then you've the lovely finish around the track and the MC was very good with his words of motivation. Crossed the line at 1'35.40 ish and that's when it dawned on me I'd never added the extra little bit when deciding pace to get in under 95 ��.

Sounds like you ran it well within yourself due to the hamstring and you still managed to PB? A nice, confidence boosting run. Well done.

I know you're from a sporting background, so take this as you will, but static stretching is not generally recommended as a warm up for running. If you're looking to improve your warm up, you could incorporate some drills.

Hope it goes well with the physio. Hamstrings can be sore ones when they go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

:cool:
    Learning: (1) I might need new runners - my Brooks were bought in May but the right one inside seems very dented down and thats where the pain was. (2) I need to stick to the planned pace FROM THE START! (3) I don’t need to eat 2 bags of jellies…in fact as this moment I never want to see a jelly again. (4) Gin leads to supermacs!

Worries: I really struggled with the last 1.5 miles. I really don't know how realistic it is to think I am going to be able to do 26.2 miles in 8 weeks time.

Great race report kemcloughlin! Sounds like you learned a lot. You will definitely be able for 26.2 in 8 weeks. Don't worry!
    Mile 10 (7'25)

A defining mile for me. About half way through I got the sensation you get right before your hamstring goes, horrible feeling.

Also a great report, well done Unknownability on making the right decision on the day, which can't have been easy

Tullamore Half Marathon Report

Race lead up
    After last weeks 14 mile LSR, I was feeling confident again. It was a busy week and I took full advantage of the taper! I ran 3 miles Tuesday and that was all. Went for a deep tissue massage to Agnes in Tullamore who has hands of steel…not for the faint hearted! My left side was very very tight. I ate carbs all week…

Race morning
    Up at 7am, had a good nights sleep and ate porridge, raisins and honey washed down with some instant coffee and 800ml water with a Nuum tablet. Brought a banana and a kids water bottle with me. 45 mins drive and on arrival in Tullamore went to McDonalds for a ‘real’ coffee. Parked at the Harriers, toilet visit, stretched and a quick run around the car park. Next thing I knew I was chatting to DBB and my husband had made his way to the start line with his running buddy.

Goal pre race: 2hr 30

Race
    Couldn’t believe how quickly the first 2.5 miles passed by. In hindsight that was probably because I was going faster than I should have been! In the 10 mins per mile pace was not the plan!

Miles 3-6 were fine at 11.19. At the halfway mark I was doing well and I was thinking I might even get in in 2hr 20.

The excitement of that thought, plus seeing some friends waiting for the relay handover at 6.55 miles and then moving to mile 7 which is always my strongest brought me back into the 10s. Way too fast.

Levelled up again and at 10 miles, I knew I had a new 10 mile PR by almost a minute.

Everything then slowed down. There was a deluge of rain at some point which didn’t bother me although it did wash sweat into my eyes as it really was a heavy downpour. Into the 12s and the ball of my right foot was sore along with a pull in right groin. Two well intentioned male pacers came along to “bring me home” with about 1.3 miles to go and whilst they did get me back from the 12s and into the 11s they drove me mad! I am a lonely goat who likes to run with my own company. They chatted away, trying to motivate me I know - but it irritated the hell out of me. They called on the crowd to cheer on Kathleen…I cursed and mumbled and they must have thought I was a right miserable old cow!

We got to the finish line and got the medal! My time - 2hr 30 as predicted. Husbands was 1hr 52.

Wasn’t hungry for hours afterwards - and felt more like I was going to vomit. I had eaten 2 packs of honey stinger chews and although they had been fine the week before, they caused major bloating and gas this time around. That may have been because I was full of carbs already. I only ate them to get the recommended grams of carbs per hour into my body - as opposed to really needing them.

Afterwards relaxed in the Bridge House leisure centre - a few aches and stiffness. The Italian and some gin! Home this morning to no house party and a fairly clean house!

Overall, Tullamore Harriers put on a super race and nothing could be faulted. I have to be honest though - I found the course quite challenging with the long drags and constant up and down elevation.

Lovely to meet DBB and super well done on that PB

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's supposed to be hard. You went out a little fast, alright, but it looked okay to me once you settled. Take the positives: you've another race to inform your PMP and you've another raced half under your belt. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Getting in early seeing as how I had no long run ðŸ˜
    Weekly training summary
    -How was week ten for you?
    Looking brighter. Sticking rigidly to rehab exercises and routine. Cycled Monday, cross trainer Wed. Achilles felt better each morning on first step out of bed. I know it's slow progress and I'm probably pushing it a bit. Advice was to test it gradually over a few days lightly, if pain increased-stop, if it decreased-carry on.
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    No, got through 3 'Test runs', 1, 2 and 3 miles (Fri, Sat, Sun). Felt improvement after each day. Warmed up with heat pack, heal drops, light jog/walk, calf stretches. Cooled down with light walk, good stretched, and ice pack after. Hot/Cold feet treatment still ongoing (in buckets 😂)
    - Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    N/A
    - What next?
    My plan is to just carry on now with the plan. Manage the achilles as I go, stick to the rehab routine. My goals/pace will be adjusted a bit.
    My main question is, do I jump straight back in at week 11 on boards plan after missing 2 weeks (and go for broke), or maybe switch to HHN1 plan week 11? I would happily attempt either, it the leg isn't fit for the boards one I don't think it would be fit for either. My confidence in it is fairly low at the minute, but starting to grow again.
    Well done to all racers again this weekend, and all those who ran their longest ever run. Best of luck to the lame again, its no fun, and it tries to bing you down. Don't let it.

*Ps the strange symbols were supposed to be laughing emojis

kyomi wrote: »
    43 miles done this week, including an 18 mile LSR which incorporated the last 17 miles of the DCM route. The south side part of the DCM route includes a lot of places I don't know at all (lifelong northsider!) so it was great to get to know those areas a bit, find out where the uphills and downhills are, etc. I was tired afterwards but no more so than usual, and on my short recovery run today my legs felt fine.

One small annoyance about the LSR was that I accidentally punched myself in the mouth while getting ready! Trying to pull on the elasticated armband that holds my phone, it popped out of my hand and my hand flew back and hit my top lip, which started bleeding quite a lot. Once I started running, though, it wasn't too painful, except while trying to drink out of my water bottle.

Doing the long run on Saturdays instead of Sundays is really suiting me for a couple of reasons, but one of them is that I get to do a recovery run on Sunday, which I feel is good training for running on tired legs, and also stops my legs from stiffening up completely after the LSR. I can't run at all on Mondays so I'll probably stick with Saturday LSRs from now on. I'm sad to miss the parkruns but I'll get back to them after the marathon.

I also did a 9-mile mid-length run on Thursday with five miles at PMP of 9 min miles. I know the rest of you are doing a lot more PMP miles at once but I'm still working my way up after neglecting this aspect for a good few weeks. I found it hard, and my heart rate rose to quite a high level during the PMP miles. I'll see how the next few weeks of PMP miles go, but I'll probably have to revise my pace aspirations.

Oh and the best thing about this week... getting a taster pack of High 5 gels from Amazon with seven different flavours including the rather bizarre Banana. I used Apple and Berry yesterday and both were fine. Actually starting to look forward to my gel breaks now that I've got used to taking them!

BANANA?! Yock.

Can you move the PMP run to Wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

WEEK 11 PREVIEW

Some very impressive long runs and races in the week just gone. There were some great results in Tullamore - and I'm sure some valuable lessons learned regarding pacing, preparation, fueling and hydration.

I know lots of you were apprehensive about the long runs in week 10, but from what I see on strava pretty much everyone nailed it. The training has built up appropriately to get you to a position where you are capable of these runs, and you went out and did them. Well done all! At this stage of the plan there will be times when the legs feel fatigued - this is perfectly normal. You are clocking up mileage that you've never seen before - now more than ever it is important to keep the paces and effort truly easy. There is nothing positive to be gained from running faster than your prescribed paces. I've noticed one or two long runs where people have started out too fast and faded towards the end - this week keep the paces a bit slower to start and you will find the legs stronger for longer.

In week 11, the mileage increases again, but just a touch :)
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|4m easy|8m easy|4m easy|rest|16m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|8m easy|4m easy w/ 5 x strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|20m lsr|3m rec

It's the landmark 20 miler for the boards crew - you already have a 19 miler behind you, what's another mile? There are no PMP miles this week, which should help keep the legs a smidgen fresher for the long run. For the HHN1 guys, this will be the second highest weekly mileage that you will do all plan, so give this week your full attention. A good night's sleep is the best recovery you can have.

By now you should be treating the long runs as trial runs for the marathon. From dinner the night before and breakfast the morning of, to clothing and hydration during, you should be practising all aspects of DCM Sunday (except of course the drinking afterwards :pac:)

Homework
    Something slightly different for homework this week (robbed from AuldManKing in 2017 :P):
    - How was week ten for you?
    - Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    - What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    - What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

Best of luck for the comimg week folks - you're doing great. :)

Thanks Mr Guappa, ReeReeG and Huzzah! And thank you to all my fellow novices.

I can't believe I am where I am. This all seemed so insurmountable to me back in June yet here I am! Running a marathon in a few weeks if you don't mind!

I am going to take a bit of time to think about the homework questions this week and I will be back tomorrow with my reply.

Thank you again everyone. I'm enjoying this all so much that I'm actually a little bit sad that it will be all over in 8 weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bananaleaf wrote: »

I can't believe I am where I am. This all seemed so insurmountable to me back in June yet here I am! Running a marathon in a few weeks if you don't mind!

I am going to take a bit of time to think about the homework questions this week and I will be back tomorrow with my reply.

Thank you again everyone. I'm enjoying this all so much that I'm actually a little bit sad that it will be all over in 8 weeks :(

You wish! No it won't :pac: You'll just be part of a new community with new and different goals, all encouraging each other, egging each other on, until you realise you are in it for life and can't escape :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

juke wrote: »
    You wish! No it won't :pac: You'll just be part of a new community with new and different goals, all encouraging each other, egging each other on, until you realise you are in it for life and can't escape :eek:

You love it J :P

Well, that is just the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! :pac::):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    A good night's sleep is the best recovery you can have.

On this, it's probably a good time to start getting into the habit of getting to sleep earlier. As someone who has succumbed to Netflix binges many times, I had to enforce a ban on Netflix after 10pm on myself :D

The mileage is really peaking over the next 4-5 weeks, and one big part of tackling that will be getting enough sleep to aid the recovery. Have a look at your current habits maybe and see if you can make some changes to improve that. If needed of course, maybe some people are already good for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You love it J :P

Maybe ;)
    Well, that is just the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! :pac::):):):)

Best think you novices can do is meet up for an LSR or before/after the half. I guarantee, you won't regret it. The contact lasts and lasts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Maybe ;)

Best think you novices can do is meet up for an LSR or before/after the half. I guarantee, you won't regret it. The contact lasts and lasts :D

So true. Our bunch (2017) still talk daily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Week 10 turned out really good, I was quite nervous about this week . I was working nights at the beginning of the week, so that always messes with my sleep, diet etc, but I am absolutely delighted with the way it went. I feel I have got my confidence back and yes I will run this town. My longest run to date 15 miles and felt really strong throughout

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

I definitely have learned about pacing myself and slowing down, I kept the easy runs at a slower pace this week which in turn helped me on my LSR today

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

I probably need to work on my sleep and spent more time stretching after the runs

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

1.Try and get a good night sleep prior to long runs, I was nervous last night and could not sleep.

2 maybe try and eat a little bit more for breakfast, more fuel . I will find it hard on the day as it will be a long time between meals.

3. Keep the pace slower at the beginning

I am so tired now, I am sure there is loads more but my bed is calling me.

Thanks for all your help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hmmm community or cult :p haha
    It really has been great having so much support & advice from people i haven't meet yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Study this too, folks. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101452551&postcount=5247

You need to know it. :pac:

Mmm.. think I might crawl that section rather than run it! The post finish line still seems very far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Karlos80 wrote: »
    Getting in early seeing as how I had no long run ðŸ˜
    Weekly training summary
    -How was week ten for you?
    Looking brighter. Sticking rigidly to rehab exercises and routine. Cycled Monday, cross trainer Wed. Achilles felt better each morning on first step out of bed. I know it's slow progress and I'm probably pushing it a bit. Advice was to test it gradually over a few days lightly, if pain increased-stop, if it decreased-carry on.
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    No, got through 3 'Test runs', 1, 2 and 3 miles (Fri, Sat, Sun). Felt improvement after each day. Warmed up with heat pack, heal drops, light jog/walk, calf stretches. Cooled down with light walk, good stretched, and ice pack after. Hot/Cold feet treatment still ongoing (in buckets ��)
    - Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    N/A
    - What next?
    My plan is to just carry on now with the plan. Manage the achilles as I go, stick to the rehab routine. My goals/pace will be adjusted a bit.
    My main question is, do I jump straight back in at week 11 on boards plan after missing 2 weeks (and go for broke), or maybe switch to HHN1 plan week 11? I would happily attempt either, it the leg isn't fit for the boards one I don't think it would be fit for either. My confidence in it is fairly low at the minute, but starting to grow again.
    Well done to all racers again this weekend, and all those who ran their longest ever run. Best of luck to the lame again, its no fun, and it tries to bing you down. Don't let it.

*Ps the strange symbols were supposed to be laughing emojis

That sounds tentatively optimistic, although phrases like "pushing it" "go for broke" don't inspire much confidence. All I can say is be very, very careful and listen to your body. Don't try and push through or ignore any pain - it will catch up with you eventually.

Presuming that you feel the achilles is good to go (be honset with yourself!), then for this week I'd suggest something like 4 miles on Tues and Wednesday, 4 again on Friday and a longer run (8-10 miles) on Sunday. Tread carefully and pull the plug if needed. If all goes well then we can think about plans next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Homework
    Something slightly different for homework this week (robbed from AuldManKing in 2017 ):

A good week - got my runs in although I took a rest on Wed and switched that run to Thurs, pushing Thursday out to Friday. Still did same mileage but it meant I could take advantage of kids being back to school on Thurs. It was great to get the 19 miles done this week - I had been worried about it but was thrilled to get it done. The 30km on strava felt like a real milestone.
    Main changes are that I have slowed down and have increased my weekly mileage and running frequency as a result. I was working hard every time I ran which meant that 4 times a week was definitely my limit. Now that a lot of my runs are properly easy I can definitely increase the frequency without feeling exhausted.
    I haven't really worked out nutrition well. My club coach is big on running on an empty stomach and not refuelling but I am aware that I've only tried gels once and need to be sure the tummy can manage on them. Also need to work out how many I'll need on the day.
    Practice for race day - breakfast, fuel, water, clothes. Also wonder about doing some PMP during LSRs - is that advised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

The week was great apart from the LSR. I was underfed and I definitely won’t be doing that again as the long runs get longer. Otherwise I felt really happy and strong during the other runs especially today’s 5 miler.

This is the first time I’ve followed a proper training plan really. I love the schedule and that I’m running nearly every day without injury or fatigue. It’s such a boost and a sanity saver to be running like this.

I am wondering if I need to switch from Hi5 aquagels to their regular gels? I’m not sure I’m getting much of anything from the aqua ones honestly unless I’m using them incorrectly? I’ve been taking one after the first hour of running and then another after the second hour (never taken more than two). On the other hand I tried the gummies and they seemed to give me a little more boost of energy.

I’m also going to get a new pair of runners. I’ve only done 350 miles or so on my current pair but will get a new pair of the same in the next few weeks I think.

I need to sleep more (says she on boards.ie at 10:30 pm ;) )

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM

1. Eat more the day before LSR
    2. Eat a proper breakfast before LSR
    3. Get more sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

How was week ten for you?

Toughest weak of the program thus far. Midweek run #2 & #3 almost broke me mentally and physically. The 48 hours rest between #3 and the LSR was great which allowed the LSR go to plan. Then my kids broke me today and now I have wine in front of me :pac:
    Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

Ran the following distances prior to the program:
    Nov 2018: 3Km
    May 2019: 10Km

Ran these during it:
    Yesterday: 24.5Km

Thrilled with where I am now. Was never going to happen without the mentorship here, thanks again folks. Have definitely moved my mentality towards a "Why not?" instead of a "Why" when it comes to running now.
    What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

Might need to rework my midweek schedule due to the middle midweek run getting longer. It's getting prohibitively time consuming for a lunch time run so I think I might shift the 3 midweek runs to the morning to keep the rest periods between them consistent.
    What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

LSR have been going great. Going to continue to familarise myself with the DCM route and try integrate some more elevation in to the end of my LSR.

More practice with regards to my pre event routine. Going to work on this over the next few weeks. Think what I did went well for FD10 but want to try it out a few more times.

+1 to this, the support from everyone has been immense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well done to everyone with their long, long LSRs in the bag! I'm quite envious of ye :o

My Tullamore HM Race Report :)

After a reasonable night's sleep, I started off with an early brekkie at about 6.30am after my daily dawn rise to let the geese, turkeys and hens out of their various sheds... a bagel with cream cheese and a cuppa tae. I don't drink coffee :o
    Tullamore is only a half hour away, isn't going to local races so much nicer than a big journey to get there? I tend to get apprehensive about races until I actually get to the venue. Eyrie's words from last year's Tullamore HM thread were flipping through my head... what are you nervous for? All you've got to do is run! Which is so true... but you also have to remember all your gear, and get there on time, which are the bits that vex me. Maybe it's not nerves as such, more anticipation. Anyway, once I get there, I hit my zen zone... after all, NOW all I have to do is run! :o
    After the obligatory toilet trip, I headed outside to do some drills to warm up. Then I met kemcloughlin, who I recognised straight away from her photos on strava :D We headed for the start, chatting away like a pair of oul wans :pac:
    As I outlined last night, I'd opted to try for 10 minute miles, so stuck myself to the 2:10 pacers, the slowest pacer group... I wish more races would cater for oul plodders like me and provide slower pacer groups, but there you go. They said they'd aim for 9:55 minute miles. I knew this might be a challenge for me over 13 miles.

Off we went.
    Miles 1 and 2 were good, fairly flat and a nice welcome to the course. I actually felt like passing the pacers, but I copped myself on and made myself take it nice and handy... 9:57 and 10:02 mins respectively.

Then the climbing started, although there were some respites too, but over the next 4 miles or so, I noticed we were really flying along for long enough stretches as the pacers tried to bank time for the long uphills they knew were ahead, every time I checked my watch on these faster bits, we were around 9:30 mins/mile. But, we must have slowed down enough on the hills because we weren't actually banking time yet... I found the pace manageable, and felt good and strong.
    Mile 3 10:10 mins; Mile 4 10:00 mins, Mile 5 9:58; Mile 6 10:15... this mile was a long, uphill drag I tells ya.

Finally around the half-way mark, the long climb was over, and there were some nice, gentle enough downhill bits. I could feel myself flagging a bit along these couple of miles and was glad to be able to let gravity kick in a bit. I had taken a Clif Blok earlier, but decided now was a good time for a gel. I had been carrying water with a Zero tab in it since the start.
    Mile 7 10:02, Mile 8 9:47

The next stretch was quite undulating, and I *think* the pacer was a little bit worried that he needed to get things moving because we were a bit behind schedule now. I was fine, chugging along with the group, and all of a sudden, they had pulled away and were gone a lot further than seemed decent :D
    Just a note here... unknownability commented in his report about people jostling to stay beside the pacers... my god, do they what?! There was one fella in our group, which contained maybe a dozen people, who up to the point they left me behind, must have cut right across me and others a half dozen times in his attempts to literally rub shoulders with the pacer :rolleyes: I had to check my stride at least twice to accommodate his sudden swerves.

Anyway... this may be down to my lack of experience with pacers, but I found their disappearance quite disconsoling. I felt a bit queasy too... was this the gel? The Clif Blok? The damn bagel??!! I'm also a fecker for letting my head down and second-guessing myself at the three-quarters stage of races... you know, the bit where you've gone far enough to be tired, but you know there's still a fair chunk left to go? So, I lost them at the worst time.
    Even though the road was undulating, some of the uphill bits were short and sharp, which sapped me. It also rained, which I kind of enjoyed for the coolness. But still, rain is a pain. So, my last few miles were pretty modest :o Just as I climbed that horrible hill after the 12 mile marker, I met Pauline Curley trotting back to her car after finishing (quite a long time previously :D), she gave me a huge shout of encouragement which spurred me on.. thanks Pauline!

Mile 9 10:14; Mile 10 10:45; Mile 11 11:16; Mile 12 11:10;

Finally, the home straight! I could hear the announcer's voice bellowing out from the stadium from almost a mile away, a nice bit of encouragement and looking forward to the nice bouncy track under tired feet. Just as I turned onto the track, the strong wind hit me right in the face, feeling icy now that I was wet from the rain. Sharp intake of breath here!

Mile 13 11:06 0.1 10:59
    Chip Time: 2:15:58
    Average pace: 10:22 mins/mile

That's a shade over PMP for a 4:30 hour marathon, which I had vague aspirations of doing.
    All in all, feeling good enough about my time given the course, though a little disappointed I hadn't kept up with the pacers. It's a whole 15 mins faster than I ran my first HM in July in Clontarf, which has to be the flattest of flat HMs in the country... worlds apart from hilly Tullamore! But admittedly, I hadn't tried to overly burst myself in that one.

I am a little bit worried about my stamina and endurance to be honest. That's a 10 mile and 2 HMs I've done where I thought to myself afterwards, how in the name of jehovah am I going to be able to do twice this distance (or more in the case of the 10 mile!)?? I think I may review those vague 4:30 aspirations for DCM... not that I'm hell-bent on a finish time, finishing it is the absolute priority :o:o:o

I'll ponder your questions for answering tomorrow Mr. Guappa! It's feeling like we're getting into the really serious stuff now!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

SO much better than the 2 weeks beforehand :D Feeling back to myself, and slept in a few mornings too instead of gym.

LSR 15 miles @ 7:38 /km
    8 miles @ 7:12 /km
    4 miles @ 6:51 /km
    3 miles @ 6:44 /km

Before starting this, I had run a handful of park runs, and I think 10k twice. I never would of thought it was do-able, but the plan is easy to follow if you stick to it, and trying to keep in mind it's all about progress not perfection.

- Take better care of my diet, have been snacking a lot on ****e. bought lots of healthy wholesome food this week.
    - Make sure I am sleeping enough.

I haven't taking gels, and I'm toying with the idea of it? On sats LSR, I brought jellies, and bought a powerade around 6 miles in though, and this seemed to work out. Might try a gels in some of the following weeks to see how i get on with them compared to the jellies.

- Try gels to see if they suit me
    - Keep pacing correctly
    - MORE soft tissue work, starting to tighten up more

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

I joined the thread late last week so my plan is slightly different to the ones mentioned here. I have a busy week in work this week so I aim to run on Wednesday and Thursday, then the 20m lsr on Saturday.

11km Monday - fast 4.59 per km. Not planned or expected. Ran with 2 guys from work couldn't slow it or them down.
    Speed work Wednesday 6x400m. Felt fine. I know it has been mentioned here 400m aren't too productive for marathon but I like the variety to the training.
    Tempo Thursday 3.2km @ 5.11 per km and 1.6km @ 4.39 per km. Nice run.
    Saturday 30 km LSR. After joining the thread on Thursday, I heeded the adive to run slow, brought the pace back to 6 min km.

Ability to run for longer than I ever thought I could while still feeling relatively good.

Slow down on the easy/recovery runs and LSR

Nail down by diet for the day before DCM, and the food intake that morning and during. I was hungry during the run on Saturday. Plan is to take some frozen grapes out with me next Saturday to take these as well as the gels and water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

How was week ten for you?
    Started off Badly with Tight calves.

Tuesday - 4 miles 5.34 pace (very sore on the calves)
    Weds - 9 miles 5.29 pace (felt great until later in the day)
    Thurs / Friday rest and try recover
    Saturday - 17 miles 5:59 pace (for once felt great. Stuck to grass and trail surfaces in Phoenix Park. Took 2 bottles of Tailwind and 3 High 5 hydro gels with me. Made all the difference for the last 5k where my energy levels started to evaporate)
    Sunday - 2 Miles Recovery

Before this year I had 1 half marathon under my belt from about 4 years ago. Several 5s and 10s in various places.

Started this year with Mullingar half, Connemara Half, Clontarf Half, Then moved up to marathon training

- Watch my hydration (especially post lsr)and see physio. Stretch more. Possibly take in some sports massages

Slow down all my runs. I know I can go faster but that's not the point of all this is it. It's time on feet and building up resistance. Also wouldn't mind finding a running partner for Sat lsr's

Advertisement