Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Rega

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great seeing all the long, long runs on Strava this morning! I'm gonna guess lots of you are having naps about now:)

Left the house at 5.45
    Started running at 6.15
    Back home at 10
    Brought my daughter to ballet at 10.20
    Snoozing in the car in the carpark while my wife and daughter went shopping at 11.30.
    My rock and roll lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Great seeing all the long, long runs on Strava this morning! I'm gonna guess lots of you are having naps about now:)

A nap would be a great idea, just have to get through a 3yr olds birthday party first.

Run went well, no major complications. Did stop for 30 seconds to stretch as hamstring still feels dead.

Aim for this week is to concentrate on stretching and foam rolling everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Wasn't feeling great all day yesterday so dosed myself up & went to bed early although i had a really bad sleep & my poor little grandson ended up being kept in hospital because of an infection & he's dehydrated:( Anyways wasn't sure if I'd be able for it today but got up had my porridge & dosed myself again & felt fine! So decided to head out!! Run went well, happy to have it done :)

So just sitting in the hospital now minding poor Leon while mammy takes a break! Defo a nap on the cards at some stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Wasn't feeling great all day yesterday so dosed myself up & went to bed early although i had a really bad sleep & my poor little grandson ended up being kept in hospital because of an infection & he's dehydrated:( Anyways wasn't sure if I'd be able for it today but got up had my porridge & dosed myself again & felt fine! So decided to head out!! Run went well, happy to have it done :)

So just sitting in the hospital now minding poor Leon while mammy takes a break! Defo a nap on the cards at some stage!!

Well done for getting out with all that going on. Poor Leon :( I hope he is back to normal real soon

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Well done for getting out with all that going on. Poor Leon :( I hope he is back to normal real soon

Thank a mill, he's in the best possible place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Heading out for the 16mile LSR soon. Nice cool evening. Expecting 2:50 or thereabouts.

Is there a limit on how long we should be running for these LSRs? Based on this, the 20 mile in a couple of weeks time would be over 3:20 anyway. Is that too long for a training run, running close to the full distance expected times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

rizzee wrote: »
    Heading out for the 16mile LSR soon. Nice cool evening. Expecting 2:50 or thereabouts.

Is there a limit on how long we should be running for these LSRs? Based on this, the 20 mile in a couple of weeks time would be over 3:20 anyway. Is that too long for a training run, running close to the full distance expected times?

Don't worry about spending longer out there if you need to due to pace.
    I'd recommend getting the distance as mentally you'll be set up for that number on the day as a safe distance that you have in the bank before tackling the last few miles.
    People say limit to 3hrs in lsr but that isn't for everyone.
    Better to have 20 handy miles than 17 paced ones to a time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

16 miles LSr today, general aches and pains everywhere. Anyone else feeling it. I am just fit for bed now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Really struggled with that LSR. Did 21kms in 2:32:xx. Then my battery on phone died, so didnt get an accurate distance reading after that. After the 14km mark I had no water left and thighs were aching. Pitch black out too. Just felt like a bad run with nothing going my way! Could be a number of factors, hydration, didn't have a meal since 2pm etc....Going to have a good sleep now and rest tomorrow. Roll on next week. Staying positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cult1973

Anyone having foot trouble. Have extreme groin and foot pain, but will stick to one at a time. Get to around ten miles and the foot pain in both feet is extreme. Have shock absorber insoles in my runners, thought I had fractures in feet but pain completely gone since I finished run.
    Did a hop test to make sure no fractures
    Anyone similar problem and some solution
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Cult1973 wrote: »
    Anyone having foot trouble. Have extreme groin and foot pain, but will stick to one at a time. Get to around ten miles and the foot pain in both feet is extreme. Have shock absorber insoles in my runners, thought I had fractures in feet but pain completely gone since I finished run.
    Thanks
    if it's in the arches back to the heels of.could be planter faciatus. Hope you get it sorted anyway. I had my second physio visit and I'm out for another week. Hoping to get back to it sunday. That should be my 20miler and im wondering is that too much too soon after 1.5 weeks off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

rizzee wrote: »

This question has come up many times over the years, and the advice has always been to stick to the plan. It is true that once you get past the 3 hour mark the aerobic benefits level off and the injury risk increases, however, most runners (particularly novices) take a huge mental boost from passing that 20 mile barrier in training - 26.2 now feels much more attainable.

There are more advanced marathon plans where the long run tops out at 16 miles, but these will have lots of additional midweek mileage to compensate. The plans you are following are designed for novices, and have worked for years, so yeah, trust the plan!

saffron22 wrote: »
    if it's in the arches back to the heels of.could be planter faciatus. Hope you get it sorted anyway. I had my second physio visit and I'm out for another week. Hoping to get back to it sunday. That should be my 20miler and im wondering is that too much too soon after 1.5 weeks off

Sorry to hear you are out for another week... Sounds like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel though? Definitely don't jump straight back in with a 20 miler - a couple of short easy runs first to test It out and get everything back in the groove would be advisable, and I'd probably be capping the next long run at something far less than 20 miles too.

Cult1973 wrote: »
    Thanks

The best advice I can give is to get yourself to a physio asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Wombled wrote: »
    16 miles LSr today, general aches and pains everywhere. Anyone else feeling it. I am just fit for bed now

I'm always achey the day of the long run - the heel and ankle on one leg in particular but I also get shooting pains in my calves on both legs through out the day. By the next day most of it is gone with the heel pain lingering the longest. I'm not sure if it's normal but it's my normal now!

eabha19 wrote: »
    I'm always achey the day of the long run - the heel and ankle on one leg in particular but I also get shooting pains in my calves on both legs through out the day. By the next day most of it is gone with the heel pain lingering the longest. I'm not sure if it's normal but it's my normal now!

It's the first time feeling that achey, I guess its to be expected. Feeling so much better today. I am always worrying about getting an injury, I just can't help myself. Glad I am not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Hi. Is it ok to join at this late stage?

DolG wrote: »
    Hi. Is it ok to join at this late stage?

Absolutely! Take a look at the questions in the opening post of this thread, and let us know how your training has been going to date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Wombled wrote: »

16 miles done today in 3 hours 20mins, sore everywhere too, mainly knees. I'm worried again ! Then had 20 kids in house for party ! The 3/4 marathon is gonna take me at least 4 hours 15 mins !

pd79 wrote: »
    16 miles done today in 3 hours 20mins, sore everywhere too, mainly knees. I'm worried again ! Then had 20 kids in house for party ! The 3/4 marathon is gonna take me at least 4 hours 15 mins !

If it's any consolation, you will feel better tomorrow, I did loads of foam rolling and stretches yesterday. My run took me over 3 hrs as well . Poor you 20 children, I don't think I would of coped with that. Look at how far we have come. We will get there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I won't be far away from you pd79. We can shout at each other to keep us going ;)

DBB wrote: »
    I won't be far away from you pd79. We can shout at each other to keep us going ;)

same! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

same! :)

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Thank god I'm not only runner not running fast !

WEEK 12 :eek: PREVIEW

Week 11 was very much a landmark week for everyone - you have come such a long way already - really well done! Only four more (tough) weeks of training before we are into the taper. Keep that consistency going and it will pay dividends come DCM.

Lots of interesting responses to last weeks questions - it seems most of you understand what you need to improve on between now and DCM. A few people feeling niggles after this weekends long runs - it's to be expected to have some level of muscle soreness as the body is pushed further than before. Plenty stretching and foam rolling will help, but if issues persist then get yourself to a physio.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|4m easy|8m easy|5m easy|rest|12m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|6m easy|1m w/u, 9m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|3m rec

Week 12 features a shorter LSR for both groups, but the weekly mileage is kept high with sizeable mid-week runs. An 8 miler for the HH group and a mammoth 9 mile PMP (plus w/u & c/d) for the Boards group - this is a hefty session so don't take it lightly. Prepare for it with the same focus as a long run. Also note that the following day has a RECOVERY run - keep it easier than easy :).

As some have noted - schools are back! For many of us this means tighter windows in which to squeeze runs. Coupled with the evenings getting darker noticeably earlier, it may be worth sitting down and planning out your entire week to get all the runs in. The hi-vis will become a staple of your running wardrobe over the coming weeks - stay safe out there!

Homework
    How was week 11 for you?
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    - Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    - Are you happy with your progress to this point?

Have a great week folks - and best of luck to those racing in Charleville and Ratoath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    How was week 11 for you?

Grand if a little tiring. Unsure how the temp arrangement of LSR on Sunday's is going to work out for the next 2 weeks but it is what it is.
    Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Got the midweek runs done fine but had to cut short my LSR today by 1-1.5Km due to really really really needing to use the facilities towards the end of it. Local Tesco was out of action so had to stroll home as running would not have ended well. My race day routine is fine as it's later in the morning, it's my LSR routine I need to change up due to having early starts to minimise impact on family. Need to take care of business before hitting the road. Has happened twice now.
    Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Midweek runs
    1 -  6.5Km, 6:22/Km,  142avg HR
    2 -  13Km,  6:24/Km,  149avg HR
    3 -  6.5Km,  6:28/Km,  141avg HR
    LSR
    24.5Km, 6:38/Km,  142avg HR

Are you happy with your progress to this point?

Yup. Running has been consistent. Weight has been dropping a little due to me watching what and when I'm taking food on board so hoping this will be of benefit when the next race comes around and ultimately the DCM too.

Thank god I'm not only runner not running fast !

There's gonna be a right old gang of us holding up the rear! :)

Does anyone else get a bit excited when a notification comes in around 9:30pm on a Sunday that Mr Guappa has posted in DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread? :pac:

How was week 11 for you?
    Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, all runs completed.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes, all at a correct pace

Are you happy with your progress to this point?

Yes, I am happy. I will post something here from my training log, if that's okay:
    I went through a range of feelings on the 20m. The first 10miles were very enjoyable, very easy. I remarked at about 8miles that it felt so easy @12:30min/m, that doing the marathon @11min/m after a taper was going to be so doable. We were very energetic and were laughing, singing, chatting our way through the run. At 10miles there was talk of the Donadea 50 in June :o:rolleyes: At 15miles I went very quiet and completing the marathon at 12:30min/m pace seemed like a big ask, never mind the 11min/m that seemed so attainable only a few miles ago. And then, by mile 18 all was good in the hood again and I was raring to go once more. On reflection, I like that I experienced this. It was interesting to feel the entire range of emotions I have experienced over the past 11 weeks, all condensed into one 4hr block.

I guess this kind of worry over pacing is normal, but am just wondering - if I am to expect myself to be able for 11min/m for 26.2 miles of race day, what time should I be expecting of myself at the DCHM?

Also:
    I'm finding it all okay on the legs. Am wondering if I should up the mileage a little by doing a 3m rec run on one of the optional rest days, or should I leave well enough alone? Going at my speed, is an extra 3m at rec pace per week going to make any difference at this stage? Any and all advice is always welcome, thank you :)

Last question, sorry!
    Would it be possible to do my LSR on Sunday instead of Saturday this week? I have had a running buddy for the past couple of LSRs and it has been lovely. She is not able to run this Saturday, so I'm wondering if I could alter this week to do the LSR on Sunday, but only if it isn't going to compromise the training. Thank you so much!

How was week 11 for you?
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes i got all the runs done as planned

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

No, i think the midweek runs went well but i know i pushed too hard on my LSR, i really need to keep my pace to 10mins or more! This is something i am particularly going to work hard on for the coming weeks as i really don't want all my hard work to be for nothing! I don't feel sore or anything but given that i wasn't 100% going out i felt very dizzy on & off for up to an hour after so lesson learned :eek:

- Are you happy with your progress to this point?

Yes i am really happy that i have stuck to the plan & ran distances i never ever imagined i could. As above i just need to zone in more & watch the paces!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Got my long run in today 26km. Was hoping to reach 28km or even 30km but got a pain in the side of my knee for the last 2km so decided to walk the last 2km home. Hopefully nothing to worry about so I'll wait and see during the week..
    Racing charleville this weekend so if it's still at me I'll change the plan. Apart from the knee all runs went well this week nicely paced. I think I have my routine sorted for the long runs, pasta the night before and actually eating a breakfast the morning of a run.

Advertisement