Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thank you, I was just looking at your run and was getting dizzy looking at the blue line showing your route.

The only problem with the out and back is that it doesn't look that impressive on the map :( Am seeing some 13mile runs on Strava that look longer than mine. Never bloody happy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

deconduo wrote: »
    4Q1EODl.jpg

August stats. I try and do the parkrun as fast as I can (28 min at the moment), and then 3-4 easy runs during the week of 5-7k.

Just keep doing as you're doing. Make sure the easy runs are easy and maybe try to gradually increase the distance of one run a week, so that you've a weekly long slow run (LSR).

It might be a good idea to target some races to keep your interest. I'm not sure where you're located but most counties have races that cater to all standards.

Have a look for some ideas here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920155&page=4

Long run completed, 19 miles. New territory for me and a lot more daunting beforehand than it turned out to be if you do it right. One of my more fluid runs.

Based on the feedback here, I was well hydrated during the week and ate LOADS the last few days. I managed to get 2l water in throughout the run along with a few gels and even ran the last 12 miles of the course, which was a part of the route I wanted to get familiar with. Feeling tired now but that's to be expected.

Looking for some advice on next week's training. For a number of reasons, my next long run needs to take place Thursday (Family wedding Friday which writes Saturday off and an early flight Sunday.. Monday means 20 miles in Spanish heat which I don't like either). Thays why I brought forward this week's to tonight so I had an extra nights sleep between them.

Front loading the runs Sunday through to Tuesday next week doesn't bother me if that's what's required with a rest Wednesday before 20m Thursday but wondering is there a better way? Thanks.

Good luck to all in Tullamore tomorow.

Make sure you're not over hydrating either. Running, eh, a simple sport.

Is there any way you could get up and do it early in Spain? Thursday seems too soon.

Finally a performance and validation of the hard work and assistance on this thread.

Will have a PB and expect chip time to be around 95..
    Hope everyone else enjoyed it.

Chip time 95'30
    DBB wrote: »
    Fantastic running unknownability... it wasn't an easy peasy course by any standards. A lot of undulating, and that bloody wind!
    Still, the stadium finish was fun:D
    Very well done to you, you must be thrilled with yourself :)

On an entirely different level, my watch time was 2:16:00. That's a 15 minute improvement on my last half marathon in July. Lessons learned too, which is always a good thing.
    And best of all, I got to meet kemcloughlin, who will by now be wining and dining her way around Tullamore on her secret day away from the kids:D

Is this our report or? :o

DBB, what was the issue with the pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Huzzah! wrote: »

No, full race report to follow. It'll help me pass the time on the train to Dublin for the All Ireland tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Make sure you're not over hydrating either.

On this point it should be noted you can over hydrate. Simply put you dilute everything. So while others are taking zero tabs to top up on sodium etc, you are doing the opposite. As Huzzah says.. simple! Haha

No, full race report to follow. It'll help me pass the time on the train to Dublin for the All Ireland tomorrow.

Are you on Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Quite jealous to see all the LSR's done & knowing its my longest to date is slightly daunting :eek:
    Mind over matter just need to get up early & get it done then watch Dublin win ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Are you on Strava?

Sent you a PM.

Quite jealous to see all the LSR's done & knowing its my longest to date is slightly daunting :eek:
    Mind over matter just need to get up early & get it done then watch Dublin win ;)

Not a bother to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

akenno wrote: »
    Took the advice here and brought the pace back on my LSR today, did 30km in avg 6min pace. Felt good to do it, legs weren't doing too bad, the mental thoughts are starting to creep in. I did find it boring however running slower than usual, but I'll put up with that if it is the way to go.

Well done, that's much more like it. People always find the easy paces take a bit of getting used to, but they will become second nature before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Best of luck with one of those. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

If I've to push each of my LSR out by 24 hours for the next few weeks, do I push the midweeks following the LSR out too or just leave them as is?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Tee hee :D No, I'll get my report done tomorrow, also whilst watching Dublin win :D
    So, I had decided to head off with the 2:10 pacers (the slowest pace group), as 10min miles had worked well for me in the Edenderry 10 mile, though I was aware that maintaining the pace for 13 miles this time would be more of a challenge.
    The pacers said they'd be maintaining a 9:55min/mile pace. That was okay... I was very comfortable with them until a bit after half way, but I noticed we were at 9:30 (sometimes less) pace for really quite significant periods of time, then hitting 10min (or slightly over) on the hills. Those spells of faster running felt fine at the time, but once we hit about 8-9 miles, despite the second half being quite downhilly, I felt... not spent... but not able to keep that sub 10 min pace any more.
    I understand they wanted to get time in the bank, but I think i prefer a more consistent pace to be honest.
    Is this a thing? I've only run with pacers once before!

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Best of luck with one of those. :pac:

Hmmm not a Dub fan :eek:

Hmmm not a Dub fan :eek:

No culchie should be allowed use the word blue in their username!

I have asked that question before, not here, but have asked more experienced club mates, and the answer was that it depends on the pacers. Some like to bank time, others keep a consistent pace throughout.

I'm the same as you DBB and prefer the even pace.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I have asked that question before, not here, but have asked more experienced club mates, and the answer was that it depends on the pacers. Some like to bank time, others keep a consistent pace throughout.

I'm the same as you DBB and prefer the even pace.

You'll get more advice closer to D day but don't attach yourself to pacers in DCM...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You'll get more advice closer to D day but don't attach yourself to pacers in DCM...

Really. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I did it for Dublin Half last year and she was great. I found it very freeing not to be looking at my watch and I just trusted her to get me there which she did with great enthusiasm too!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Really. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I did it for Dublin Half last year and she was great. I found it very freeing not to be looking at my watch and I just trusted her to get me there which she did with great enthusiasm too!

The pacers run at even pace. The profile of the course doesn't lend itself to even pacing. You need to fall back from the pacers for the first 7 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

DBB wrote:
    Tee hee No, I'll get my report done tomorrow, also whilst watching Dublin win So, I had decided to head off with the 2:10 pacers (the slowest pace group), as 10min miles had worked well for me in the Edenderry 10 mile, though I was aware that maintaining the pace for 13 miles this time would be more of a challenge. The pacers said they'd be maintaining a 9:55min/mile pace. That was okay... I was very comfortable with them until a bit after half way, but I noticed we were at 9:30 (sometimes less) pace for really quite significant periods of time, then hitting 10min (or slightly over) on the hills. Those spells of faster running felt fine at the time, but once we hit about 8-9 miles, despite the second half being quite downhilly, I felt... not spent... but not able to keep that sub 10 min pace any more. I understand they wanted to get time in the bank, but I think i prefer a more consistent pace to be honest. Is this a thing? I've only run with pacers once before!

Definitely depends on the pacers.. I got to witness a few of them today sadly, and the 2 hour ones definitely banked time also. They were dillydallying on the track as I was coming in
    But the 1.45-1.50 pacers seemed spot on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never really run parallel to the pacers for a full race. Usually sat back a little, whilst still keeping them in range. I did want to be with them at the halfway point and was. Looking at 2018 (went with 4 hour pacers) and there's a good glut of the race from mile 11-19 where I never dipped under 9:04 in that section. Miles 14-17 were 9:21/9:19/9:16/9:17. I picked it up from mile 24 and finished in 3:57. There were some miles we hit 8:45, 8:48 alright. Did stay closer to the ones (4:30) in Connemara - that was for a bit of company and chat, much smaller field and I didn't know the course. Can't think of a bad experience with a pacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Make sure you're not over hydrating either. Running, eh, a simple sport.

Is there any way you could get up and do it early in Spain? Thursday seems too soon.

Hi Huzzah..

No problem doing LSR in Spain, I'll have to do the 16miler the following week there, so I'm already signing up to one on the sat. So it's really what's better..

A) 19m Friday evening here, then 20 miler Thursday morning here.
    B) 20m Monday Spanish heat and 16m Saturday Spanish heat.

My preference, but open to guidance is 4m easy today (instead of tomorrow) and 8m easy tomorrow (instead of Tuesday) then rest to Thursday, which gives me 2 full days. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

LSR done yesterday morning. Phoenix Park with my brother in law and his wife tested out some high 5 berryburst gels and my usual tailwind. Paced me for first 9miles and then took the last 8 myself. Slowed it down to 6 min per k. Legs felt better and stuck to the trails rather than the roads. Got a 4 miler in tuesday and a 9mile in weds. Took thurs and Friday off. With do a treadmill 3 miler later.

Feeling far more positive after yesterday

Tee hee :D No, I'll get my report done tomorrow, also whilst watching Dublin win :D
    So, I had decided to head off with the 2:10 pacers (the slowest pace group), as 10min miles had worked well for me in the Edenderry 10 mile, though I was aware that maintaining the pace for 13 miles this time would be more of a challenge.
    The pacers said they'd be maintaining a 9:55min/mile pace. That was okay... I was very comfortable with them until a bit after half way, but I noticed we were at 9:30 (sometimes less) pace for really quite significant periods of time, then hitting 10min (or slightly over) on the hills. Those spells of faster running felt fine at the time, but once we hit about 8-9 miles, despite the second half being quite downhilly, I felt... not spent... but not able to keep that sub 10 min pace any more.
    I understand they wanted to get time in the bank, but I think i prefer a more consistent pace to be honest.

Thanks - I just wanted to tease this out a bit as it’s a good learning point. The last half I raced, I ran a 2:08 and the 2:10 pacer finished before me - we started at the same time, so although it was my intention to follow her, I’d to let her go early on. It’s a good lesson, I think.

The race series and DCM pacers will run an even pace and can be relied on to do so. They’re generally Boardsies. However, as alluded to, we will discuss later whether following them for the full race is an appropriate strategy. It’s definitely a discussion for after the half, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

15 mile LSR done yesterday, was very apprehensive heading out, as knees have been sore, but took it easy and it went well , really needed that to go well, mentally. Cant believe I ran for 3 hours ! Well done everyone on LSR s.

Tullamore Half Marathon Race Report

Build up - So I'd come off the back of a 50 mile week that went very well and into a low mileage week.

So I took this week to get back into the physio (bone setter) to have him work on my hamstring that's been annoying me on and off for the past few months and my right shoulder that develops a pain on my long runs.

That went well, felt very springy the day after when I went out to loosen up. 

Race Day - I was up nice and early got my gear ready, which barring a disaster will be what I will run the marathon in. Had a breakfast of brown bread and eggs with two pints of water over the course of the morning one with half a zero tab and the other a diaoralite.

I live 25 mins away so set off in the car and decided that I'd go with the 90min pacer for the first 2 miles (this was based on my slowest miles in my the Mullingar Half being the first few) and then settle into a pace of 7'15 m/m and this would give me a sub 95min race (previous PB 01:37:56 Mullingar Half 17/03/19 my first race) 

Got there signed up all went very seemlessly warm up was a few static stretches (will look at improving this) and then walking down to the start line. 

Race - The atmosphere at the start was very good and was starting to get slightly nervous.

Miles 1 & 2 (6'53 & 6'51)

These went exactly to plan stayed a few feet behind the pacer, I really don't understand the jockeying for position to stand as close as possible to the pacer. A few times I'd to completely check my run as someone wanted to get closer. 

Miles 3,4 & 5 (7'16, 7'06, 7'04)

So I then entered the next stage of my plan to pace myself, this worked for the first mile I was very happy with how close I got it myself. 

A group the caught up with me and got chatting to a lovely local runner, it was like running with a celebrity as all the supporters knew her name. 

The pace started to rise again and when chatting she'd mentioned she'd like to go sub 95, and based on the explosion I had in the Mullingar 10 I was concise not to let this happen again so again decided to go back to my plan and slowed down.

Miles 6,7,8, & 9 (7'21, 7'19, 7'10, 7'10)

I can't recall too much about these miles they just felt like miles that had to be done and not enjoyed or remembered. 

I took a gel somewhere around this time and that went fine first time taking a caffeine gel, passed the transition point and half way and did a quick mental check of the body and everything was fine rather than good. 

Had a quick check of my watch and worked out I was on course to beat my Mullingar 10 Mile time of I kept going so that became the short term goal. 

Mile 10 (7'25)

A defining mile for me. About half way through I got the sensation you get right before your hamstring goes, horrible feeling.

So I slowed down and realized it wasn't going to go completely but I'd not be able to keep up 7'15 miles without jeopardizing my main goal the marathon. After another quick check of the watch I worked out that another 3 miles at PMP would give me sub 95 which I would be delighted with prior to racing.

I was through mile 10 in 01'11.27 which is just under 2 mins faster than I did the Mullingar 10 in.

Miles 11,12 & 13 (7'48, 7'52 & 7'44)

This is where the rain fell, got absolutely soaked for about 10 mins, very refreshing but the heavy shoes aren't very nice to run in.

Also had the unusual experience here of taking a bottle from a wall that was lined with them and not looking while opening it with my mouth and being covered in coke. So apologies to the person who left this out for a little boost, I didn't realise the etiquette. 

The last two miles are the same as the first two except this time they were up hill, I like this as it gives you a mental boost when you can tick landmarks off as you pass them.

Then you've the lovely finish around the track and the MC was very good with his words of motivation. Crossed the line at 1'35.40 ish and that's when it dawned on me I'd never added the extra little bit when deciding pace to get in under 95 ��.

After thoughts - very happy with the race overall, the spread was incredible afterwards and loved the t-shirt.

Next steps watch Dublin win the all ireland, drink a few pints today and tomorrow and visit the physio this week. 

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Decision time: recovery run or off to the GAA club to watch Dublin win the All Ireland. Could do the recovery later but there's also the likelihood I'll have a few drinks at the GAA club which might scupper those plans. Maybe there's time to squeeze it in now...

Decision time: recovery run or off to the GAA club to watch Dublin win the All Ireland. Could do the recovery later but there's also the likelihood I'll have a few drinks at the GAA club which might scupper those plans. Maybe there's time to squeeze it in now...

Match doesn't start til 3:30 :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Lots of time to fit it all in ;)

Advertisement