Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

How was week ten for you?
    Probably my best week of training so far. Slowed everything down a bit, apart from the PMP which was a bit quick in parts. Long run couldn’t have gone much better, feel like I made improvements in the fuelling and hydration that really paid off. Week overall made me feel much better about the training and the process. Weight even down a pound and a half this morning. Hopefully that trend will continue too.

Where have to come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    Hmm… starting to get all deep and meaningful now. I’ve mentioned it before but after running DCM 2014 I’d been pretty much inactive. Little bursts here and there, either running or a bit of astro league football but nothing consistent. Flare ups of pain in my foot on a regular basis and only really diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis around this time last year. A few work folks were doing Run in the Dark last November and with treatment seemingly going well for the foot, it gave me an incentive to join them and to try put some structure on training again. Struggling to break 30 mins for a park run put some perspective on where I was fitness wise (20.18 in the Grant Thornton 5k around this time in 2014 is my PB). I had around three weeks of getting out 3 days a week before the Run in the Dark and managed to get around in 56.27 with a 27 minute second 5k.
    From there, I decided to try follow a 5k plan and get down as low as I could before the new year. Still relatively low mileage, I ended up doing around 50 miles in November and December and got the parkrun time down to 24.14. Decided to enter the marathon sometime along here too.
    New year decided I’d sign up for a half marathon and try keep the training going. Wicklow half was the plan and under two hours was the goal. Over 100 miles in January and mid 80’s in Feb and March. Wicklow on the 24th of March, lovely day, very hilly course but couldn’t have gone much better and surprised myself by coming home in 1.54.49. Marathon now seemed like a realistic goal. Switched focus to a plan for the Terenure 5 Mile, again went pretty well went under 24 for a parkrun and managed to run slightly quicker in Terenure (38.21) than I had in 2014 (38.34). Followed a week later with 21.58 in the Tallaght 5k (my second ever 5k time ever under 22 mins).
    Had signed up for the Clontarf half too on the 6th of July and had planned to follow a plan for that and the switch over to the novices plan after. 122 miles in April and 127 in May so was still building, but I think I was a bit too ambitious with the plan and the paces. Started to feel really tired coming into June and decided to scrap the plan to race Clontarf and to just follow the novices plan with Clontarf as a quick LSR. 95 miles in June with only about 15 in the first two weeks as I took a rest.
    Clontarf fell in week two of the novices plan and I set out to run with the two hour pacers and hopefully finish strong. Again, it went well and I came home in 1.56.34, with a 7.55 last mile. I was conscious of trying to slow things down a bit and stick to the principals of the plan, but also felt I was training too slow at times (compared to the paces McMillan was suggesting). South Dublin 10k was going to be the first test of the plan and the slower to get faster philosophy. I wasn’t feeling great on the day and it didn’t go well, first time really I’ve started a race and not hit around the time I’ve expected. That was a bit of a blow to the confidence, but the fact I was feeling sick beforehand softened it a little.
    In 2014, I’d hit my goal in all the build up races, taking big chunks off my Terenure 5 Mile that year, but burnt out before the marathon. The reason for following this plan is to hopefully avoid the same fate. It still hasn’t stopped me comparing though. The problem I had then was I failed to finish out every run over 15 miles, because I was trying to run everything too fast. So successfully completing the two 16 mile runs on this plan restored some confidence again. Then along came the Frank Duffy 10 Mile and another tough race that didn’t really go to plan. No sickness this time either, OK it was warm, but was it that warm? More doubts, 12 minutes slower than five years ago, but still hoping to run a similar if not better marathon time. Am I mad?
    Then along comes this week, and a near perfect 19 mile long run. And the confidence is restored again, and I remember why I’m following this plan and why it’s been so successful over the years. So, where have I come from as a runner since starting this plan? Hopefully, I’ve developed a much better understanding of how to train for a marathon, an appreciation that easy needs to be easy to keep the body injury free and to develop the endurance needed to successfully complete a marathon. And an acceptance that comparing to a previous self is fairly pointless and even if I don’t manage to run sub 4 hours, successfully getting around will be an achievement in itself, given where I was a year ago.
    Sorry for the rambling…

What are the changes you need to make before the taper?
    I think the biggest thing is to keep the remaining weeks like this one. Properly easy for the easy runs and proper prep for the long run. Good hydration and fuelling. Keep the negative thoughts to a minimum. Keep logging the calories the keep the weight going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

It was going pretty well until I had a tumble at home and split my head open on Thursday... All stapled back together (just a flesh wound!) so I decided to not do the long run on Saturday to allow my head some healing time. Hopefully be back into the swing of things this week, it seems to be healing quickly.

Really felt awful missing out on the run. :-(

Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

Jaypers, I've done a few half marathons and I had been a bit hap hazard with training for those. This is probably the most consistent I've been with running (apart from the odd bump along the way!!) Frank Duffy was a little bit of a revelation for me as I felt strong and in control the entire time. Anything around that distance previous to this training was always a bit of a struggle for me! Really enjoying the running slow and not getting any injuries, although sometimes I still run too fast.

What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

No more accidents... I think I'm good with the hydration/fueling. I just need to make sure I'm prepared and don't scupper myself by lack of prep, which I have done a couple of times.

What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

Hmm... I'm not too sure... Get my plan down for when to fuel myself during the long runs. I've started testing out gels and they seem to be agreeing well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    If I've to push each of my LSR out by 24 hours for the next few weeks, do I push the midweeks following the LSR out too or just leave them as is?

Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah if you can push the whole week by the 24 hours, then do? It just keeps the schedule right overall in terms of recovery between runs.

Does this mean the LSR on a Sunday or Monday?

Rojo wrote: »

It was going pretty well until I had a tumble at home and split my head open on Thursday... All stapled back together (just a flesh wound!) so I decided to not do the long run on Saturday to allow my head some healing time. Hopefully be back into the swing of things this week, it seems to be healing quickly.

Really felt awful missing out on the run. :-(

Yikes! Mind yourself!! I think you were right to miss this run just to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I'm on the lookout for an entry to the Dublin Half later this month.

There doesn't seem to be any available on DoneDeal or Adverts.

Is there anywhere else worth trying?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yeah if you can push the whole week by the 24 hours, then do? It just keeps the schedule right overall in terms of recovery between runs.

Does this mean the LSR on a Sunday or Monday?

It would be on a Sunday for two weeks.

It would be in a Sunday for two weeks.

Ah ok, I thought it was until the end of the plan. It should be fine to do that, but just make sure you've enough recovery before the LSR on a Saturday whenever you're switching back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

- How was week ten for you?
    It was a good week. I went a touch over my target of 29 miles and hit 31. Pretty happy with that, as I didn't do my first run until Wednesday, as my husband was away. I also fit my LSR around a family weekend. Despite being absolutely exhausted heading out and the route being hard, I did it. I also slowed down.

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    I'm getting the runs in and my races have improved too, which is just great! There was a comment made last week by one of the mentors - Huzzah maybe? Comment was something about leaving your marathon in a race long before the DCM. Had some school gate chats this morning that got me thinking and second guessing myself. One of the women did 18 miles last two weeks in a row as her LSR and she is a novice much like myself. Someone else advised me that I need to do 18 next Sunday and do 20 miles at least twice before the big day. Now, don't worry i'm sticking to my plan, but part of me is wondering - if i was to be doing the training these Mammies are doing, would I be leaving my marathon in my home town??

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    I need to sort out my shoes, i have horrendous blisters at the moment. Truth told, i'm struggling to walk on my right foot today. I tried the Maurten gels and had no adverse reaction to them. They are a bit bizarre, but hey I had no cramps afterwards.

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    Sort my running gear, additional fuel and hydration stations. I hope to have company for my 16 mile run this Sunday. After a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

How was week eleven for you?
    It was a tough week but was expecting it to be. 56 miles ran including a 20 MLR yesterday. Feel so much better today than yesterday, rest day is doing me the world of good.

Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    Endurance for me was & still is my weakness. From starting this plan, it has improved so much. I've been running some of my LT & MPR runs faster than previous races. Much work to do still and as everyone says, the marathon is a different beast. Won't know if I can keep my PMP for the whole thing until race day.

What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    Need to start getting more sleep. With schools back, it means an earlier start in the morning but seem to be going to sleep at the same late time at night. Will decrease slightly the amount of food I have the night before long runs.

What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    I need to finish them to be honest. The next couple of long runs have races before them so will be running on tired legs. Need to sort out 2 more possible 8-15k races end of Sept & start of October (not sure I'll do this one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Doc76 wrote: »
    The week was great apart from the LSR. I was underfed and I definitely won’t be doing that again as the long runs get longer. Otherwise I felt really happy and strong during the other runs especially today’s 5 miler.

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    This is the first time I’ve followed a proper training plan really. I love the schedule and that I’m running nearly every day without injury or fatigue. It’s such a boost and a sanity saver to be running like this.

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    I am wondering if I need to switch from Hi5 aquagels to their regular gels? I’m not sure I’m getting much of anything from the aqua ones honestly unless I’m using them incorrectly? I’ve been taking one after the first hour of running and then another after the second hour (never taken more than two). On the other hand I tried the gummies and they seemed to give me a little more boost of energy.

I don't think gels really give me a boost per se. I feel maybe slightly clearer minded if I've taken them than otherwise. I will say that I can sometimes feel a bit more of a noticeable impact from caffeinated gels but I wouldn't be able to take them for an entire marathon - not sure that's even advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

DBB wrote: »

That's a shade over PMP for a 4:30 hour marathon, which I had vague aspirations of doing.
    All in all, feeling good enough about my time given the course, though a little disappointed I hadn't kept up with the pacers. It's a whole 15 mins faster than I ran my first HM in July in Clontarf, which has to be the flattest of flat HMs in the country... worlds apart from hilly Tullamore! But admittedly, I hadn't tried to overly burst myself in that one.

I am a little bit worried about my stamina and endurance to be honest. That's a 10 mile and 2 HMs I've done where I thought to myself afterwards, how in the name of jehovah am I going to be able to do twice this distance (or more in the case of the 10 mile!)?? I think I may review those vague 4:30 aspirations for DCM... not that I'm hell-bent on a finish time, finishing it is the absolute priority :o:o:o

I'll ponder your questions for answering tomorrow Mr. Guappa! It's feeling like we're getting into the really serious stuff now!

Exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

Everyone second guesses themselves in the latter part of races. It's perfectly normal. In fact, I'd be doing well to get that far without second guessing myself. Maybe you were ambitious with heading out with the 2:10 pacers but I like that you gave it a shot. You now have two race efforts that will help inform a PMP for D Day. No worries about making it around the 26.2. You'll be great.

15 minutes is a huge chunk to take off your PB - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

How was week eleven for you?
    The most I've ever ran this week. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

From wondering how the hell I could do a half marathon never mind a full! 3 times now running the Half distance as part of training it's almost surreal. Quite proud & very thankful for the help and advice here.

Need to get more sleep, turn off the TV earlier. Cut out the beer again for a while. There seems to be something happening every weekend!! It hasn't effected my training though.

I need to start using gels. Have just been using Amino Acids/Glucose powder 30 mins before a long run and bringing a 500ml/750ml bottle with me with a scoop in it. It's actually doing the job just sipping on it but I need to mimick what's going to happen on the day, plus the distance for the training is only getting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

How was week 11?
    I ate too much and probably enjoyed resting before the Half Marathon far too much.

Write down your progress - where have you come as a runner since starting this plan?
    I decided to do the DCM on 24th May 2019. At that point my longest ever run was 8K and I had run 35K in the whole of the month of April! I was around 34 mins for a 5K. Now I am running 32 miles this week and my 5K time is down to 30 mins. I am swimming again and I have lost about 1/2 a stone. I can run 10 miles with ease now. In July that was torture.

What are the small / big changes you need to make before the taper?
    I need to stop eating so much carb wise. I need to buy a new pair of running shoes. I need to stop worrying.

What are the things that I need to do in the next 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    Slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I don't think gels really give me a boost per se. I feel maybe slightly clearer minded if I've taken them than otherwise. I will say that I can sometimes feel a bit more of a noticeable impact from caffeinated gels but I wouldn't be able to take them for an entire marathon - not sure that's even advised.

Yeah the caffeine ones I’d be wary of overusing. I think I’ll focus more of proper fueling pre-race. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

How was week 11?
    Good. 4 runs.
    Tuesday: 4 miles @ 10.34/mile
    Wednesday: 7 miles @ 9.53/mile
    Thursday: 5 miles @ 10.57/mile
    Saturday: 17 miles @ 11.25 /mile
    I didn't do a recovery run on Sunday as I spent an hour pushing a lawnmower cutting the grass. That was my cross training for the day!

Write down your progress - where have you come as a runner since starting this plan?
    I've a consistent year of running behind me now since July 18. I like to have a race on the horizon to aim at and keep me honest in my training so had something every two months or so since then (until the plan started). I've never ran more than 15 miles so last weekend was a milestone. All good so far.

What are the small / big changes you need to make before the taper?
    I need to foam roll more. I've been doing upper body and plank exercises and do notice a difference on the long runs. Must keep that up. Also I need to sleep more. I get by on 6 hours. I'll try to push that to 7 and more. My diet could be better too.

What are the things that I need to do in the next 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?
    Keep it slow and steady. I'll take one gel on each run to keep my body used to taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wombled wrote: »

Week 10 turned out really good, I was quite nervous about this week . I was working nights at the beginning of the week, so that always messes with my sleep, diet etc, but I am absolutely delighted with the way it went. I feel I have got my confidence back and yes I will run this town. My longest run to date 15 miles and felt really strong throughout

I definitely have learned about pacing myself and slowing down, I kept the easy runs at a slower pace this week which in turn helped me on my LSR today

I probably need to work on my sleep and spent more time stretching after the runs

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

1.Try and get a good night sleep prior to long runs, I was nervous last night and could not sleep.

2 maybe try and eat a little bit more for breakfast, more fuel . I will find it hard on the day as it will be a long time between meals.

3. Keep the pace slower at the beginning

I am so tired now, I am sure there is loads more but my bed is calling me.

Thanks for all your help

Nice job on heeding the sleep advice :)
    Many people will have trouble sleeping the night before the marathon, due to nerves and excitement, so it's doubly important to get in good sleep earlier that week. Great to get into the habit now.

eabha19 wrote: »
    Homework
    Something slightly different for homework this week (robbed from AuldManKing in 2017 ):

A good week - got my runs in although I took a rest on Wed and switched that run to Thurs, pushing Thursday out to Friday. Still did same mileage but it meant I could take advantage of kids being back to school on Thurs. It was great to get the 19 miles done this week - I had been worried about it but was thrilled to get it done. The 30km on strava felt like a real milestone.
    Main changes are that I have slowed down and have increased my weekly mileage and running frequency as a result. I was working hard every time I ran which meant that 4 times a week was definitely my limit. Now that a lot of my runs are properly easy I can definitely increase the frequency without feeling exhausted.
    I haven't really worked out nutrition well. My club coach is big on running on an empty stomach and not refuelling but I am aware that I've only tried gels once and need to be sure the tummy can manage on them. Also need to work out how many I'll need on the day.
    Practice for race day - breakfast, fuel, water, clothes. Also wonder about doing some PMP during LSRs - is that advised?

Your club coach is not wrong on there being advantages to running on an empty stomach and without refuelling - it teaches the body to burn fat as a fuel source once glycogen levels deplete. But you are correct on the need to make sure the gels work for you. In DCM last year I used 6 or 7 gels if remember correctly.
    SO much better than the 2 weeks beforehand :D Feeling back to myself, and slept in a few mornings too instead of gym.

LSR 15 miles @ 7:38 /km
    8 miles @ 7:12 /km
    4 miles @ 6:51 /km
    3 miles @ 6:44 /km

Before starting this, I had run a handful of park runs, and I think 10k twice. I never would of thought it was do-able, but the plan is easy to follow if you stick to it, and trying to keep in mind it's all about progress not perfection.

- Take better care of my diet, have been snacking a lot on ****e. bought lots of healthy wholesome food this week.
    - Make sure I am sleeping enough.

I haven't taking gels, and I'm toying with the idea of it? On sats LSR, I brought jellies, and bought a powerade around 6 miles in though, and this seemed to work out. Might try a gels in some of the following weeks to see how i get on with them compared to the jellies.

- Try gels to see if they suit me
    - Keep pacing correctly
    - MORE soft tissue work, starting to tighten up more

I love this bit: "it's all about progress not perfection" - very well put.

That is great progress in a few months. Glad to hear that you are feeling back to normal. It would be no harm to have a slight reduction in the number of gym days between now and DCM - as we've mentioned the miles over the next month or so will build the fatigue levels.

A few jellies and a powerade aren't going to fuel you for 26.2 miles of a marathon - definitely worth a trial with a gel on at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Doc76 wrote: »
    Yeah the caffeine ones I’d be wary of overusing. I think I’ll focus more of proper fueling pre-race. Thanks

Just read your comments about gels. You are probably using them properly. There shouldn't be a boost as such. They are simply a fuel. I find myself going back to the car and petrol analogy time and time again. If you top up before the fuel runs low it doesn't improve the performance of the car it just allows it to run for longer. If a gel gives you a performance boost it is because you have let it get to spluttering engine levels and have little or no fuel left.

The boost from gummies etc is normally just a sugar rush in the brain, not an actual energy boost. If you are underfuelled this will happen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

How was week 11? The week went very well and was very happy with it. LSR 30.44 kms @ 6:13 /km 6.82 kms @ 6:13 /km 12.28 kms @ 5:37 /km 7.48 kms @ 6:14 /km 5.66 kms @ 6: 32 /km LSR Could be a bit slower. Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan? I think i have really come to like the structure of the plan and the different paces. I look forward to the LSR on the Saturday. The confidence is building, as the weeks clock up. What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper. Definitely try and get more sleep and improve on stretching. What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM? I have started taking Isotonic Energy Gels on the long runs with zero tabs in the water and am finding it very good so far. I am off to spain 9th September for a week so have to try and organise some running over there. Roll on week 11.....

akenno wrote: »
    I joined the thread late last week so my plan is slightly different to the ones mentioned here. I have a busy week in work this week so I aim to run on Wednesday and Thursday, then the 20m lsr on Saturday.

11km Monday - fast 4.59 per km. Not planned or expected. Ran with 2 guys from work couldn't slow it or them down.
    Speed work Wednesday 6x400m. Felt fine. I know it has been mentioned here 400m aren't too productive for marathon but I like the variety to the training.
    Tempo Thursday 3.2km @ 5.11 per km and 1.6km @ 4.39 per km. Nice run.
    Saturday 30 km LSR. After joining the thread on Thursday, I heeded the adive to run slow, brought the pace back to 6 min km.

Ability to run for longer than I ever thought I could while still feeling relatively good.

Slow down on the easy/recovery runs and LSR

Nail down by diet for the day before DCM, and the food intake that morning and during. I was hungry during the run on Saturday. Plan is to take some frozen grapes out with me next Saturday to take these as well as the gels and water.

You've no easy days there - 3 tough days plus one long run. Nice start on easier paces on the long run - stick with it and add more easy days in place of hard days.
    saffron22 wrote: »
    Started off Badly with Tight calves.

Tuesday - 4 miles 5.34 pace (very sore on the calves)
    Weds - 9 miles 5.29 pace (felt great until later in the day)
    Thurs / Friday rest and try recover
    Saturday - 17 miles 5:59 pace (for once felt great. Stuck to grass and trail surfaces in Phoenix Park. Took 2 bottles of Tailwind and 3 High 5 hydro gels with me. Made all the difference for the last 5k where my energy levels started to evaporate)
    Sunday - 2 Miles Recovery

Before this year I had 1 half marathon under my belt from about 4 years ago. Several 5s and 10s in various places.

Started this year with Mullingar half, Connemara Half, Clontarf Half, Then moved up to marathon training

- Watch my hydration (especially post lsr)and see a physio. Stretch more. Possibly take in some sports massages

Slow down all my runs. I know I can go faster but that's not the point of all this is it. It's time on feet and building up resistance. Also wouldn't mind finding a running partner for Sat lsr's

You seem to have taken on board what we've spoken about regarding easy paces - great to see. Interested now to see if you can put them into practice this week :)

Definitely worth a trip to the physio, if even just for a rub out and maybe a heads up on anything to keep an eye on.
    Probably my best week of training so far. Slowed everything down a bit, apart from the PMP which was a bit quick in parts. Long run couldn’t have gone much better, feel like I made improvements in the fuelling and hydration that really paid off. Week overall made me feel much better about the training and the process. Weight even down a pound and a half this morning. Hopefully that trend will continue too.

Where have to come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    Hmm… starting to get all deep and meaningful now. I’ve mentioned it before but after running DCM 2014 I’d been pretty much inactive. Little bursts here and there, either running or a bit of astro league football but nothing consistent. Flare ups of pain in my foot on a regular basis and only really diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis around this time last year. A few work folks were doing Run in the Dark last November and with treatment seemingly going well for the foot, it gave me an incentive to join them and to try put some structure on training again. Struggling to break 30 mins for a park run put some perspective on where I was fitness wise (20.18 in the Grant Thornton 5k around this time in 2014 is my PB). I had around three weeks of getting out 3 days a week before the Run in the Dark and managed to get around in 56.27 with a 27 minute second 5k.
    From there, I decided to try follow a 5k plan and get down as low as I could before the new year. Still relatively low mileage, I ended up doing around 50 miles in November and December and got the parkrun time down to 24.14. Decided to enter the marathon sometime along here too.
    New year decided I’d sign up for a half marathon and try keep the training going. Wicklow half was the plan and under two hours was the goal. Over 100 miles in January and mid 80’s in Feb and March. Wicklow on the 24th of March, lovely day, very hilly course but couldn’t have gone much better and surprised myself by coming home in 1.54.49. Marathon now seemed like a realistic goal. Switched focus to a plan for the Terenure 5 Mile, again went pretty well went under 24 for a parkrun and managed to run slightly quicker in Terenure (38.21) than I had in 2014 (38.34). Followed a week later with 21.58 in the Tallaght 5k (my second ever 5k time ever under 22 mins).
    Had signed up for the Clontarf half too on the 6th of July and had planned to follow a plan for that and the switch over to the novices plan after. 122 miles in April and 127 in May so was still building, but I think I was a bit too ambitious with the plan and the paces. Started to feel really tired coming into June and decided to scrap the plan to race Clontarf and to just follow the novices plan with Clontarf as a quick LSR. 95 miles in June with only about 15 in the first two weeks as I took a rest.
    Clontarf fell in week two of the novices plan and I set out to run with the two hour pacers and hopefully finish strong. Again, it went well and I came home in 1.56.34, with a 7.55 last mile. I was conscious of trying to slow things down a bit and stick to the principals of the plan, but also felt I was training too slow at times (compared to the paces McMillan was suggesting). South Dublin 10k was going to be the first test of the plan and the slower to get faster philosophy. I wasn’t feeling great on the day and it didn’t go well, first time really I’ve started a race and not hit around the time I’ve expected. That was a bit of a blow to the confidence, but the fact I was feeling sick beforehand softened it a little.
    In 2014, I’d hit my goal in all the build up races, taking big chunks off my Terenure 5 Mile that year, but burnt out before the marathon. The reason for following this plan is to hopefully avoid the same fate. It still hasn’t stopped me comparing though. The problem I had then was I failed to finish out every run over 15 miles, because I was trying to run everything too fast. So successfully completing the two 16 mile runs on this plan restored some confidence again. Then along came the Frank Duffy 10 Mile and another tough race that didn’t really go to plan. No sickness this time either, OK it was warm, but was it that warm? More doubts, 12 minutes slower than five years ago, but still hoping to run a similar if not better marathon time. Am I mad?
    Then along comes this week, and a near perfect 19 mile long run. And the confidence is restored again, and I remember why I’m following this plan and why it’s been so successful over the years. So, where have I come from as a runner since starting this plan? Hopefully, I’ve developed a much better understanding of how to train for a marathon, an appreciation that easy needs to be easy to keep the body injury free and to develop the endurance needed to successfully complete a marathon. And an acceptance that comparing to a previous self is fairly pointless and even if I don’t manage to run sub 4 hours, successfully getting around will be an achievement in itself, given where I was a year ago.
    Sorry for the rambling…

What are the changes you need to make before the taper?
    I think the biggest thing is to keep the remaining weeks like this one. Properly easy for the easy runs and proper prep for the long run. Good hydration and fuelling. Keep the negative thoughts to a minimum. Keep logging the calories the keep the weight going in the right direction.

Great post - not rambling at all! Really good to see you have a positive week, and on the back of a tough race too. One of the keys I'm sure was slowing down the paces a touch - to twist the title of a training log here, everything is easy when the easy is often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Week 10 was really good - daunting at 1st looking at all the miles but often the mind does that when we don't just focus on what's in hand instead of overthinking the whole week! Also knew it was going to be slightly tougher mentally as i had to leave my LSR till Sunday- thankfully none of it was as bad as i had imagined & i actually really enjoyed my long run knowing this was a first for me at this distance!! Defo gave me confidence :D

I honestly think my progress is amazing, not for one min saying I'm amazing haha but to see the progress as each week comes & goes totally amazes me :eek: I thought these distances were only run by REAL runners - well guess what i am a real runner ;) I think i have also learned that running is simply not just running, there's so much more to it & that i need to listen to people that are willing to help in order to improve!
    I can't thank the mentors & fellow novices enough for all the help & support over the last few weeks.

I think i need to try to get more sleep!
    I also need to make sure i eat well as much as possible & try to cut down on all the sugary crap!

I think i need to concentrate a bit more on my paces & not get caught up in my thoughts/music.
    I also think i need to incorporate more stretching & foam rolling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

On the advice of Mr. Guappa, due to the Tullamore HM, I swapped the schedule for Week 10 of the HHN1 plan for the week of the Dublin Race Series HM, which meant only 3 runs. Three? It felt like I was slacking, very strange!
    Despite only having the 3 runs, last week wasn't an easy week. I felt, still feel, that I've stalled on making progress, from the point of view of being able to run faster whilst maintaining a lower heart rate. It's making me panic a bit to be honest, I feel at this stage that I'd like to start running to pace just like everyone else is!
    But... will see how the coming week goes, as I'm very aware that HR is a barometer of wellbeing and health too. My tummy has been a bit off the past week, so it could be something as simple as that, rather than a lack of progress in fitness.

Tuesday 4 miles @ 11:17 mins/mile, avg bpm 146
    Wednesday 6.2 miles @12:01 mins/mile, avg bpm 144
    Saturday 13.1 miles (Tullamore HM) @ 10:22 mins/mile, avg bpm 168

I've been running on and off for many years now up to 10km distance. But I think this is the first time I actually feel like a runner :o I am flabbergasted that I now consider 10 miles to be a short run, 15 miles to be not too big a hassle! I quite happily went running with my multiple Ironman cousins a few weeks ago... a year ago, had they suggested such a thing, I'd have withered inside with embarrassment and made my excuses. I just can't imagine life without running now. Not a chance would I have said that before starting this adventure.:o
    I have to say though, the support here from mentors and fellow runners, and feeling of us all being in this together here, has become invaluable, and I think that will continue and become even more important as we get closer to the Big Day:)

What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper

Sleep. Gotta get more sleep. I can work really weird hours, and we keep a pile of animals here who don't care what my schedule is... their day starts at dawn. So, my sleep tends to be broken.

I want to get my fueling right too. I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, but my tummy is my nemesis. It is too fond of reminding me of this when I'm running. I'm gonna try porridge instead of bready/yeasty stuff. I love porridge. We keep bees. Their honey is to die for. So it'll be an excuse to shovel some of it into me bowl of porridge :D
    Also want to give a caffeine gel a shot. I don't drink coffee, but I need to see what my feckin tummy does if I throw a caffeine gel in there :eek:

Another thing that's bothering me... getting S&C sessions in these days :o I've been doing some amount of S&C stuff for the guts of 2 years now, but phew... getting the time and particularly the inclination now that the mileage is increasing. I mentioned before that I'm on my feet a LOT during the day... taking yesterday as an example, according to my watch I did 11km worth of steps, and that was a relatively quiet day, with no running and no fancy stuff :o
    Needless to say, getting the runs done, and the stuff that entails walking 8-12+km a day, it's getting really hard to get around to S&C. I'm thinking now that I'll shelve the heavier kettlebell workouts, and keep the core work going via the gentler pilates? Does this sound like a plan?

I pondered this today. You know what I need to do? I need to start bloody well enjoying the LSRs! Up til now, I've been a bit daunted by them, daunted by running further than I ever have before, feeling like I have to improve on each one, every week. But I don't, do I?! Why not enjoy the whole thing, rather than just the high after getting it done?!

DCM is next month :eek::D

On the S&C I’m going to start de-loading on weights. I would lift fairly heavy weights, but I have figured out that I can’t do both that and running. I was grand for a bit, then I was absolutely exhausted. Normally I would train legs twice a week, upper body twice a week and Wednesday/Saturday are long ass workouts. I’ve been skipping a lot of gym nights in favour of running.

That said, lighter weights, stretching and mobility work is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Week 10 was really good - daunting at 1st looking at all the miles but often the mind does that when we don't just focus on what's in hand instead of overthinking the whole week! Also knew it was going to be slightly tougher mentally as i had to leave my LSR till Sunday- thankfully none of it was as bad as i had imagined & i actually really enjoyed my long run knowing this was a first for me at this distance!! Defo gave me confidence :D

I honestly think my progress is amazing, not for one min saying I'm amazing haha but to see the progress as each week comes & goes totally amazes me :eek: I thought these distances were only run by REAL runners - well guess what i am a real runner ;) I think i have also learned that running is simply not just running, there's so much more to it & that i need to listen to people that are willing to help in order to improve!
    I can't thank the mentors & fellow novices enough for all the help & support over the last few weeks.

I think i need to try to get more sleep!
    I also need to make sure i eat well as much as possible & try to cut down on all the sugary crap!

I think i need to concentrate a bit more on my paces & not get caught up in my thoughts/music.
    I also think i need to incorporate more stretching & foam rolling.

Haha, this post is almost word for word how I would have assessed my own progress at the same time last year. :D
    Enjoy the rest of your journey!!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Also wonder about doing some PMP during LSRs - is that advised?

There is really no need. You are running longer distances than ever before - that's enough of a challenge without making it unnecessarily more difficult. Stick to the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Week 10 was a mixed bag. Start of the week I found tricky. Body was tired after the Frank Duffy and just wasn't moving as comfortably as I would like. A busy work schedule also had me feeling 'meh' and very drained. However, I got through the midweek runs and a last minute change in work schedule meant i got to do my LSR refreshed and energised on Sunday. Really worked on lowering my pace, felt really strong, confident and very proud of myself once completing my longest run to date.

3m @ 10.13
    7m @11.04
    4m @ 11.17
    15m @ 11.36

Listening to my body is starting to become a big one - not forcing myself to stick to a particular time or pace on my watch just because i want to.

I need to keep working on lowering my pace AND pay more attention to my cross days. So far i've been doing a bit of yoga, walking and some days nothing - I think I could be more strict with these and utilise better.

I need to work on my head. I find this is the biggest obstacle for me on my long runs especially as the legs get tired - need to ramp up the 'I can do it' positivity! I also need to remember that my aim is to simply finish and enjoy the experience while doing so. My competitive side can sometimes get the better of me and have me running at ridiculous paces.

Wishing everyone a great week and thank you for all the advice and support so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

How was week 10 for you?
    The most I've ever ran was last week. Due to been unavailable to run the coming weekend, I did a long run last Sunday and another on wednesday so my long run will be Wednesday for next couple of weeks to be tapered down before half.. My garmin works the week from Sun-Sat so i did approx 55 miles for week which I kept admiring by looking at my watch. Sad i know..

I never thought this was possible 6 weeks ago. I only signed up for marathon on last day July 1st as had been running sporadically but without any purpose for a couple of months prior. I had done a decent amount of running and 10k circuits around 5/6 years ago and virtually nothing in interim period. I did attempt to train for cork marathon last year but got injured early on in prep playing football. I have since done a PB at Dun laoghaire bay 10k in Aug and I am now plan to do 20 miles tomorrow. Also lost about 6kg since I began so happy with that

I have been working with gels the last couple of weeks and using a belt to carry, felt a bit dodgy on my stomach initially but seem to be better now. Need to cut out booze nights out(not that i have been going mad), have a busy weekend ahead but plan to abstain then until marathon night. I initially posted here bout 6 weeks ago and it was pointed out to me by a few that I was running too fast. I slowed it down considerably although took me a few runs to get the knack of it and have enjoyed it more allowing me to up my miles a lot easier

What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?Wear in my new runners, first time I had a pair of runners i have felt real comfort in so got myself the exact same pair again and wore them on latest long run without issue. Due to my schedule my long runs are very early in the morn so have been known to be out from 5/5.30am onwards pounding the pavements. I love the peaceful early morning runs with lack of traffic etc but need to test a few running later and having breakfast prior to mirror DCM conditions. Just hoping I can make start line injury free.[/COLOR]

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Good-ish week had; 1 easy, 1 PMP, 1 Easy, then the LSR. Had to do the 19 mile LSR on Friday night as we had a massive family wedding next day (As in all the groom stuff happened in our house) The LSR was grueling, especially running it late at night, and having to come up with new routes on the fly due to a lack of lighting in patches. Got it done, even though I crashed into bed after midnight.

I was a rough and ready runner before this, never paid much attention to pace or HR. (I took to following a pace (badly) during the Cork Marathon:rolleyes: ) I'm now tracking these things and should keep me much fresher, even though I'm doing much more milage

Sleep. I need more sleep. Once this series of weddings is over things should return to normal just next Saturdays one to get over the hump

Revert to my standard fueling strategy; Fridays LSR was fueled by take away :o and I felt leaden / rotten / empty for the last few miles. Same applies to the start times, evening runs always seem harder than my usual early bird strategy

I need to sort out my shoes, i have horrendous blisters at the moment. Truth told, i'm struggling to walk on my right foot today.

Have you tried different socks? or even tying your laces with a heel lock?

• Advertisement

Have you tried different socks? or even tying your laces with a heel lock?

I have tried lots of different socks. I thought steigen were my brand. I have ordered some new socks and i'm going to try doubling up. Never heard of the heel lock, i'm going to look into that. Thanks!

I have done more than 650km in my runners, so i've ordered a new pair. They do seem mostly OK, but not as supportive as before.

The biggest blister is better today, but still painful so i'll stay off of it tonight too.

Advertisement