Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks, wasn't even sure how to reply here ha

Hi GK! As Sheep1978 mentioned, throw a brief post up in this thread with your race times and a bit of history and training to date and we'll help guide you in the right direction :pac:

We will hopefully organise a meet-up for a long run in the coming weeks, but in the meantime, most of us here train alone and find that sharing our training experiences on this thread really helps make the journey to the start line less of a lonely pursuit.

We also have a strava group, where you can see what training everyone else is doing. Most people find it really helps with the motivation side of things. Strava club is here. If you are anyone else out there wishes to join, just request to join on that link, and drop myself, ReeReeG or Huzzah! a PM with your strava name.

Finally, while have a wide range of abilities in this group, none of us are going to the Olympics any time soon, so don't worry about how slow you think you are.

jackc101 wrote: »
    Well done all on the hard work over the weekend

All runs done & at the right ish pace.
    Those of ye on strava might have seen my, eh, nutty LSR :o
    I had two different stags over the weekend, & work Friday so my LSR was started at 04:27 on Friday morning. It was on a large section of the Clonakilty marathon, it's a gorgeous part of the world but you don't see much with moonlight :P The course itself is challenging, just up and down hills all the time. It was amazing and I'm still buzzing after doing it, so that's my favourite run so far.

P.S. you've never had a fright until a cow coughs inside a ditch you are running past in the dark :eek::D

As I said on strava, fair play for showing such dedication. Completely bonkers of course, but very impressive!

My goal was to come in under 1:30, maybe even under 1:29:21, which was a new 10 mile PB that I had set during the RnR half marathon a few weeks ago. My chip time was 1:26:28 so i'm pretty happy. To put this into perspective my 10 mile chip time from 2018 was 1:45:32.

Thank you moderators and fellow runners, your support on Strava and indeed this board is fabulous. I'm genuinely excited for the next 9 weeks.

A huge well done for your race at the weekend. Really strong running!

Are you planning to do many more races? I'm just slightly concerned that you've now raced the Race Series 10k, the RnR and now the Frank Duffy in the space of five weeks. That's a lot of racing - be careful you don't empty the tank before we get to DCM.

Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes I sure did :)

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Still running a bit too fast on my midweek runs, whereas I also feel I could have pushed it slightly more during race day on Sat.
    Tuesday: 3 mile @ 10.07
    Thursday: 6 mile @ 10.22
    Saturday: 10 mile @ 9.55 (FD RACE)
    Cross: yoga

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any )

Definitely running my longest distance to date with my running bud - and telling the WHOLE WIDE WORLD (regardless if they wanted to know or not) after it!

This week for me will prove a bit of a challenge. I work in Events and this week I've Electric Picnic. I'll be up and down to the site all week, moving down to stay on Friday, coming back on the Sunday night/Monday morning. Working at the event is always energy draining - and I'm freaking about how I'm going to squeeze the time and find the energy to get all my runs in. The plan is to re-jig my run schedule a bit with 3m tonight, 4m Wednesday and 15m LSR on Thursday. This way I'll be missing only one mid-week run - would anyone else have other suggestions?

Wishing everyone the best of weeks :)

I can totally relate to telling the WHOLE WIDE WORLD about your running. I brought a print-out of my training plan with me to a wedding last year, just in case my training came up in conversation (I made sure that it did :pac:). Yeah, I know.

Your plan for this week looks ok given the circumstances, but please do try and get a handle on those paces. I'd love to see some 12 minute miles :)

Sorbet wrote: »

Really enjoyed the race and as we reach half way in the training plan I have to pinch myself – to think I could run a 10 mile race in the Phoenix Park, hold my own, run the whole way and most importantly enjoy the experience. It is not an understatement to say that I would not have had this experience to date without the input of the mentors and all the encouragement from everyone in the group. Thanks so much to all – I’m already beginning to worry what I’ll do when the novice group is no more!!

On a final note – enjoying everyone else’s successes on Strava, whether it be great times or getting it done when going through real struggles – well done all. For the nerds among you I only spotted the fly by functionality today on Strava when you are on the desktop version – doesn’t serve any great purpose but was great to plot your progress against some other members from the group in the race – a bit like Relive, just a gimmick but thought I’d mention it. I'll get my coat :o

Happy running all.

That's another really well-judged race, and a great report too. Well done.

Fear not, you won't be abandoned after DCM - soon after you cross the finish line a graduates thread will pop up to help you along in the next steps of your running journey ;)

I love the flyby feature on strava. I find it useful for sussing out new routes, as well as just a general nosey to see who was it that passed me and what were they doing :cool:

Treviso wrote: »
    Yes, I have a 5k coming up Thursday week (part of the plan) and then the Charleville HM on the 15th of Sept. Looking forward to them

Oh, nice one. Really looking forward to see how you get on. You are putting in some serious miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    A huge well done for your race at the weekend. Really strong running!

Are you planning to do many more races? I'm just slightly concerned that you've now raced the Race Series 10k, the RnR and now the Frank Duffy in the space of five weeks. That's a lot of racing - be careful you don't empty the tank before we get to DCM.

Thanks a million. I'm still buzzing from it.

That said, i'm feeling a bit stressed today that I haven't been running since Sunday. Hubby is out of the country this week and i just can't get out. He is back tonight thank god. I had my gear with me yesterday, but my 4pm one hour meeting didn't end until 7pm. :mad: My sister is going to pop over tonight to allow me to get out and I won't feel so bad. I'll be grand Thursday and Friday and i'm doing my LSR on Sunday. Sundays always suit me for LSR so I will salvage this week.

I'm doing the half marathon and i'm also signed up for the Longwood 3/4 which will be a LSR training run. I still can't fathom how i'm going to chug along for that distance. :eek:

Also signed up for the Grant Thornton 5km with work and a Halloween 5km with my sister (her first race). I'll be doing the Halloween one very slow and I can fit it into my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Also signed up for the Grant Thornton 5km with work and a Halloween 5km with my sister (her first race). I'll be doing the Halloween one very slow and I can fit it into my training.

Were you planning on racing GT next week? I'd be careful with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

We appear to heading into a fairly heavy 4-5 week block with lots of long runs coming up so I was having a mooch at last year's novice thread to see how they were doing around this time last year.............as you do. :o

Anyway I came across this post and thought it was very useful with some very good points and hopefully it's ok to repost it. :)
    ariana` wrote: »
    Now that you guys have passed the half-way mark I just want to post a quick reminder of some of the basics of this marathon training malarkey!

- Trust the plan, stick with the plan! These plans have got countless people around over the past 10 years and there's no reason to believe either one of them won't get YOU around too!
    - Trust the paces! Quite often novices start to panic and suddenly think they're not doing enough or running too slow BUT the plans work, the paces work - we want you to succeed almost as much as you want yourself to succeed so we wouldn't lead you stray i promise ;)
    - The long runs are really truly long now, this means each long run is a monster session! Prepare and recover from them by eating well (a good balance of carbs/protein/fats - junk food does not an athlete make!), drink plenty of fluids, sleep well (yes, i know a lot of you/us have small kids but is it really the small kids that have us up until midnight or is it Netflix/Facebook/Strava :P), warm up/cool down appropriately from your runs.
    - Minimise injury risk - now is not a good time to try out figure staking or sky diving if it's not something you've been doing all along :eek:
    - Back to school is looming for a lot of you parents - this usually brings an onslaught of colds in my house - now might be a good time to invest in a multivitamin or vitamin C supplement to boost the ole immune system.
    - The evenings are getting darker, get yourselves plenty of hi-vis gear and stay safe first and foremost.
    - The mornings and evenings are getting cooler too! You may not need much in the way of warmer running gear (personally i find a pair of gloves and a buff is all i add in the Winter months) but make sure you have warm clothes at hand to put on after your run if you're not getting straight into a hot shower.
    - There will be tough runs. You've done over 9 hard weeks now, the end isn't quite in sight yet, these are the really really tough weeks, put the head down and knuckle through these next 3-4 weeks and before you know it you'll be on the count down to taper time! It will be worth it :)

DeepBlue wrote: »
    We appear to heading into a fairly heavy 4-5 week block with lots of long runs coming up so I was having a mooch at last year's novice thread to see how they were doing around this time last year.............as you do. :o

Anyway I came across this post and thought it was very useful with some very good points and hopefully it's ok to repost it. :)

Great to repost it! All VERY valid points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Were you planning on racing GT next week? I'd be careful with it...

Nah, I don't think so. I'll keep it nice and handy! More to show my face if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Just found this thread, I have signed up for my first marathon in Dublin. I have done a few halfs in the last 3 years but first time taking on the full. I have been training fairly seriously since June for this. I have been following a work colleagues plan that has him aiming for a 3.40 marathon when all I want is a sub 4 hours.

Training has been going well, I have requested to join the strava group so if anyone wants to have a look at my runs especially the LSR's please do. The plan tends to be a recovery run on Monday, Speed Wednesday, Threshold/Temp Thursday and LSR Saturday. I'm aiming to do 36km as my longest run and I have signed up for the 3/4 marathon in Longwood in October. Hopefully this will set me up nicely for the final taper.

Getting excited now for the final push to October.

akenno wrote: »
    Just found this thread, I have signed up for my first marathon in Dublin. I have done a few halfs in the last 3 years but first time taking on the full. I have been training fairly seriously since June for this. I have been following a work colleagues plan that has him aiming for a 3.40 marathon when all I want is a sub 4 hours.

Training has been going well, I have requested to join the strava group so if anyone wants to have a look at my runs especially the LSR's please do. The plan tends to be a recovery run on Monday, Speed Wednesday, Threshold/Temp Thursday and LSR Saturday. I'm aiming to do 36km as my longest run and I have signed up for the 3/4 marathon in Longwood in October. Hopefully this will set me up nicely for the final taper.

Getting excited now for the final push to October.

Hello and welcome akenno! Do you have any recent race times? That will help us see appropriate training paces etc. Doesn't sound like a lot of easy running in your week though.. what sort of speedwork is it on a Weds?

• Advertisement

Hello and welcome akenno! Do you have any recent race times? That will help us see appropriate training paces etc. Doesn't sound like a lot of easy running in your week though.. what sort of speedwork is it on a Weds?

Thanks ReeReeG, my last race was the Wexford Half Marathon in April did it in a PB of 1.47. I haven't done many other races this year. A couple of 10K's at the start of year but they were more of a fun run rather than racing.

Speed works varies but the old reliable is 6x400m @ ~4.17km pace, other one is 3 or 5 1.6km @ ~4.38km pace.

akenno wrote: »
    Thanks ReeReeG, my last race was the Wexford Half Marathon in April did it in a PB of 1.47. I haven't done many other races this year. A couple of 10K's at the start of year but they were more of a fun run rather than racing.

Speed works varies but the old reliable is 6x400m @ ~4.17km pace, other one is 3 or 5 1.6km @ ~4.38km pace.

Had a quick look on your Strava there.. if you've been catching up on the thread you'll probably guess what's coming - slow down! :)

Your long runs should be around 6min/km, and easy just below that. You're currently running your long runs very close to your planned marathon pace (assuming the 4 hr target). On top of the 2 harder runs per week, you've probably been tiring yourself out a lot.
    Personally, I don't think 400s are particularly useful for marathon training (or at least at a novice level) so I'd think about dropping them and replacing with an easy run?

Tempos are useful of course, but moreso if you're doing the tempo pace at the planned marathon pace? Which I don't think you are judging by Strava :)

Obviously, I haven't seen the actual plan you are following so don't know how it looks overall, but for a first marathon I think building the endurance at appropriate levels is most important.

Had a quick look on your Strava there.. if you've been catching up on the thread you'll probably guess what's coming - slow down! :)

Your long runs should be around 6min/km, and easy just below that. You're currently running your long runs very close to your planned marathon pace (assuming the 4 hr target). On top of the 2 harder runs per week, you've probably been tiring yourself out a lot.
    Personally, I don't think 400s are particularly useful for marathon training (or at least at a novice level) so I'd think about dropping them and replacing with an easy run?

Tempos are useful of course, but moreso if you're doing the tempo pace at the planned marathon pace? Which I don't think you are judging by Strava :)

Obviously, I haven't seen the actual plan you are following so don't know how it looks overall, but for a first marathon I think building the endurance at appropriate levels is most important.

Yeah I struggle to run slower for longer at that pace. But I will certainly try on Saturday. The training plan is for 3.40 marathon so hence why the tempos are a bit faster. I have been able to complete them relatively ok. I've been looking at my heart rates and not trying to overexert myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

These 3 midweek runs on HHN1 have been the toughest stretch of the program thus far. Really struggled during them. Attributing it to fatigue from FD10. Saturday is going to be tough if this keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Following the HHI1 plan. Struggling last 2 weeks with calf muscle pains and swelling. Came at this off the back of 4 half marathons earlier this year. Last one was the rock n roll but my current p.b is 1:57 in Clontarf.
    Also did Connemara and Mullingar.

I've never run a Full before but figured I'd keep going after completing my first half this year.

Looking for advice on anything I could do to improve the legs etc. Also possibly joining in with people running similar times for the long runs on Sunday in the park as I've been doing everything solo so far and you know.... strength in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

saffron22 wrote: »
    Following the HHI1 plan. Struggling last 2 weeks with calf muscle pains and swelling. Came at this off the back of 4 half marathons earlier this year. Last one was the rock n roll but my current p.b is 1:57 in Clontarf.
    Also did Connemara and Mullingar.

I've never run a Full before but figured I'd keep going after completing my first half this year.

Looking for advice on anything I could do to improve the legs etc. Also possibly joining in with people running similar times for the long runs on Sunday in the park as I've been doing everything solo so far and you know.... strength in numbers

Hello and welcome - can you answer the questions in the OP, please?

Swollen calfs doesn't sound like fun at all! Have you been to a physio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

py wrote: »
    These 3 midweek runs on HHN1 have been the toughest stretch of the program thus far. Really struggled during them. Attributing it to fatigue from FD10. Saturday is going to be tough if this keeps up.

I feel the same if that makes you feel any better! I had to do my LSR of 15 miles this morning and it was rough! I’m hoping it’s because of the race last weekend and I did 7 miles on Tuesday (although rested yesterday so thought it would be ok?!)

Good luck on Saturday and hope your LSR goes well... make sure you fuel properly (I didn’t eat much pre-running and I felt wrecked at the end).

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Yes I've a pb of 22 mins in a 5k last year
    46 in a 10k about 4 years ago (don't really race these anymore)
    1:57 for Half Marathon
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

Depends on the day but I try run the full half before stopping. Doesn't always work (last weekend I took several)

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently 5 days a week
    Monday (cross) Tuesday (4 mile) weds (9mile) Thurs 3(mile might skip this evening) Friday (rest) Sat 8(mile pace) Sunday (17mile hoping to not take any walks and slow it all down)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream Time would be just anything 4hr or sub. Realistic I'm thinking 4:10 or so
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    training 5 days a week Following Hal Higdon Intermediate 1
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury is the big one for me
    Why are you running this marathon?

Sense of self achievement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hello and welcome - can you answer the questions in the OP, please?

Swollen calfs doesn't sound like fun at all! Have you been to a physio?

Thanks just answered them there. The calf is since I did the rock n roll. I'm prob going to skip short run today to give it an extra day of rest. I don't mind missing one of the shorter ones if it allows me recover better

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Yes I've a pb of 22 mins in a 5k last year
    46 in a 10k about 4 years ago (don't really race these anymore)
    1:57 for Half Marathon
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

Depends on the day but I try run the full half before stopping. Doesn't always work (last weekend I took several)

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently 5 days a week
    Monday (cross) Tuesday (4 mile) weds (9mile) Thurs 3(mile might skip this evening) Friday (rest) Sat 8(mile pace) Sunday (17mile hoping to not take any walks and slow it all down)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream Time would be just anything 4hr or sub. Realistic I'm thinking 4:10 or so
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    training 5 days a week Following Hal Higdon Intermediate 1
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury is the big one for me
    Why are you running this marathon?

Sense of self achievement

So, if you've read back through the threads, you'll have seen the most frequently imparted piece of advice is to slow down. You're currently running all your runs at HMP. To summarise: none of your easy runs should be quicker than race pace, that includes planned marathon pace. I think you'd need to slow every thing down by about a minute per kilometre (minimum).

We will be giving more advice on choosing a marathon pace goal soon but as a general rule of thumb, a sub 1:50 half is usually seen as a pre-requisite for a sub-4 marathon.
    Thanks just answered them there. The calf is since I did the rock n roll. I'm prob going to skip short run today to give it an extra day of rest. I don't mind missing one of the shorter ones if it allows me recover better

I'd get to a physio if you can at all. Not a bad idea to take an extra rest day, either. Slowing down the runs will hopefully help as well.

• Advertisement

If you race the half, you can always run the runs the week after at recovery pace. I think you'll be fine for the LSR. Your compatriots who ran Kilcock found it tough but they managed well. I'd imagine you'll have a similar experience. No worries about slowing it down if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Does this mean you always do speed/tempo work the day before your LSR?

Does this mean you always do speed/tempo work the day before your LSR?

I run my race pace the day before yes. It's about a 5.30 k

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

No wonder your calves are swollen! This kinda schedule is normally on an advanced marathon plan and even at that, not every week. You need to change this to easy miles.

You need plenty and plenty of slow easy miles to build up your endurance. It's quite a dropoff from 22mins in a 5k to 1 hour 59min in a HM so you probably need to work on endurance and not race pace.

No wonder your calves are swollen! This kinda schedule is normally on an advanced marathon plan and even at that, not every week. You need to change this to easy miles.

You need plenty and plenty of slow easy miles to build up your endurance. It's quite a dropoff from 22mins in a 5k to 1 hour 59min in a HM so you probably need to work on endurance and not race pace.

It's a good point - I note the plan states that it's not for a first time marathoner. Would you take a look at the Boards plan in the OP and see if switching would suit? We might need to slightly alter the long run schedule but let me know what you think.

Yeah that seems good though I think the 20 mile next week is a bit too soon as I'm 4 weeks out from that on my current plan.

The lsr's might need to be switched alright. But I like the idea of a recovery run on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice
    It's a good point - I note the plan states that it's not for a first time marathoner. Would you take a look at the Boards plan in the OP and see if switching would suit? We might need to slightly alter the long run schedule but let me know what you think.

Yeah that seems good though I think the 20 mile next week is a bit too soon as I'm 4 weeks out from that on my current plan.

The lsr's might need to be switched alright. But I like the idea of a recovery run on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice

If you could give me a run down of the LSRs to date, that would be great. I'm not sure exactly where you're at in the Hal plan because your half fell earlier.

Will you do any more races?

I'm coming up on week 10 lsr 17mile sunday. Ran 13 mile last sunday 15 week before and half week before thag
    If you could give me a run down of the LSRs to date, that would be great. I'm not sure exactly where you're at in the Hal plan because your half fell earlier.

Will you do any more races?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

I'm glad someone said that ! Missed Tuesday due to being so tired, did 6mile last night and it was a struggle, will do 4 mile tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Doc76 wrote: »
    I feel the same if that makes you feel any better! I had to do my LSR of 15 miles this morning and it was rough! I’m hoping it’s because of the race last weekend and I did 7 miles on Tuesday (although rested yesterday so thought it would be ok?!)

Good luck on Saturday and hope your LSR goes well... make sure you fuel properly (I didn’t eat much pre-running and I felt wrecked at the end).

pd79 wrote: »
    I'm glad someone said that ! Missed Tuesday due to being so tired, did 6mile last night and it was a struggle, will do 4 mile tonight

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one. Yesterday and today's runs were really really tough physically and mentally. When yesterday's run was rough I knew I had to get out by lunch time today to ensure it got done or it potentially could've been skipped. Really hoping the legs ease by Saturday morning as doing 24Km with current fatigue/aches is going to be a challenge. It has me a little bit concerned about whether to race the DCHM in a few weeks or not.

Advertisement