Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Some people might frown on this but if it is cups, there is the option of walking through the water stops to get your hydration on board.

This is what I do after failed attempts of running through the stops and getting water up my nose. I usually go towards the end of the table as it’s less crowded and close to the bins. I don’t find I lose much time and it’s worth it on hot days to stay hydrated. I carried my own little bottle of water yesterday too because of the heat and it worked well (it was a kid sized bottle. Was nice to have a sip here and there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

frash wrote: »
    I was up before the sun this morning for 15 miles along the coast of Lake Garda.

Heated up for the return leg but was able to jump straight in for a swim.

At mile 14 I arrived in a town that I thankfully didn't know was hosting a 10km. I mingled in with the runners for an apple juice and a biscuit to get me through the last mile.

My god frash, life is tough huh?
    My heart bleeds for you, you poor thing. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Don't know about the half as haven't checked yet, but the FAQ section of the KBC marathon site says lucozade will be in cups and water in 250ml bottles for DCM
    That sounds so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Clonmel Half Marathon

This morning I ran the Clonmel Half Marathon. Conditions were ideal at the start with nice cloud cover, mild temperatures and no breeze of note.

I wasn't sure how to approach this race, whether to go at PMP (9 minute miles) or go at race pace (approx 8 and a half minute miles). My half marathon best was 1hr 53. In an ideal world I'd love to come in under 1hr 50 but I wasn't sure if I had it in me. I had tried to do that at the Waterford Half Marathon last December but hadn't gotten near it.

I decided to go with the 1hr 50 pacers for as long as I could and reassess during the race if the pace was too much for me.

Like Laineyfrecks I had a watch malfunction at the start as it went into standby mode just as I approached the line before I pushed the start button. As such I missed the first 0.03 miles (ha!) and my watch is refusing to acknowledge that I completed a half marathon!

Going with the pacers was a great idea as it took all the guesswork and glancing at my watch out of the equation. All I concentrated on was the blue balloon bobbing in the distance with 1:50 written on it.

The first two miles were a gradual uphill climb which was fine at that stage of a race with fresh legs. I missed the water station at mile 3 as I went to the right side of the road where there were less people handing out drinks and I timed it that they were all going back for bottles as I passed! Thankfully one of the lads in the group I was in gave me his bottle when he was finished. I love the cameraderie in a race setting where everyone is in the same boat and helps each other out.

The next few miles were downhill and lovely. I took a gel before the water station at mile 6. It was my first time doing that in a race setting as I tend to stop or walk on my LSRs to do so. It all went smoothly thankfully.

We turned left and ran along the river towards Clonmel. Here the sun decided to show its face and it got warm quickly. Fair play to anyone who ran a full 10 mile race yesterday in that heat. It's no fun.

I took the second gel at mile 9 as we came back into town. There was a nasty uphill drag back to the ring road that brought a lot of people to a walk. The support of the pacers here was vital and I ploughed on.

The last two miles were steady. I knew that barring a disaster I was getting in under 1hr 50 so didn't up the pace much. I crossed the line and stopped my watch showing 1hr 48mins 8 seconds. Waiting for my chip time now but it shouldn't be a huge amount more. How long does it take to run 0.03 miles?

All in all, I'm very happy with my race. It was steady and unspectacular. A huge thank you to the pacers from Clonmel AC for getting us in on time. I'll definitely be sticking with a pacer group for the DCM if possible.

*edit. Chip time is 1:48:13 Yippee! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Rega wrote: »
    Clonmel Half Marathon

This morning I ran the Clonmel Half Marathon. Conditions were ideal at the start with nice cloud cover, mild temperatures and no breeze of note.

I wasn't sure how to approach this race, whether to go at PMP (9 minute miles) or go at race pace (approx 8 and a half minute miles). My half marathon best was 1hr 53. In an ideal world I'd love to come in under 1hr 50 but I wasn't sure if I had it in me. I had tried to do that at the Waterford Half Marathon last December but hadn't gotten near it.

I decided to go with the 1hr 50 pacers for as long as I could and reassess during the race if the pace was too much for me.

Like Laineyfrecks I had a watch malfunction at the start as it went into standby mode just as I approached the line before I pushed the start button. As such I missed the first 0.03 miles (ha!) and my watch is refusing to acknowledge that I completed a half marathon!

Going with the pacers was a great idea as it took all the guesswork and glancing at my watch out of the equation. All I concentrated on was the blue balloon bobbing in the distance with 1:50 written on it.

The first two miles were a gradual uphill climb which was fine at that stage of a race with fresh legs. I missed the water station at mile 3 as I went to the right side of the road where there were less people handing out drinks and I timed it that they were all going back for bottles as I passed! Thankfully one of the lads in the group I was in gave me his bottle when he was finished. I love the cameraderie in a race setting where everyone is in the same boat and helps each other out.

The next few miles were downhill and lovely. I took a gel before the water station at mile 6. It was my first time doing that in a race setting as I tend to stop or walk on my LSRs to do so. It all went smoothly thankfully.

We turned left and ran along the river towards Clonmel. Here the sun decided to show its face and it got warm quickly. Fair play to anyone who ran a full 10 mile race yesterday in that heat. It's no fun.

I took the second gel at mile 9 as we came back into town. There was a nasty uphill drag back to the ring road that brought a lot of people to a walk. The support of the pacers here was vital and I ploughed on.

The last two miles were steady. I knew that barring a disaster I was getting in under 1hr 50 so didn't up the pace much. I crossed the line and stopped my watch showing 1hr 48mins 8 seconds. Waiting for my chip time now but it shouldn't be a huge amount more. How long does it take to run 0.03 miles?

All in all, I'm very happy with my race. It was steady and unspectacular. A huge thank you to the pacers from Clonmel AC for getting us in on time. I'll definitely be sticking with a pacer group for the DCM if possible.

I feel your pain with the watch :eek: Fair play to you! You went out with a target & got it :D
    I can't wait to run with pacers ahead of me to also do all the timing work leaving me to just concentrate on my running!!

Well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I feel your pain with the watch :eek: Fair play to you! You went out with a target & got it :D
    I can't wait to run with pacers ahead of me to also do all the timing work leaving me to just concentrate on my running!!

Well done :D

It's so much easier. There were a few miles where I didn't bother to look at my watch when it buzzed to indicate a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Rega wrote: »
    Clonmel Half Marathon

Well done on the PB.

With all these race reports I'm looking forward to the Tullamore Half Marathon next 6, are many people here doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Hi all, been following the various threads since 2016. Always helpful to get another perspective.

I'm on the lookout for an entry to the Dublin City Half Marathon in September.

I'm not sure if its against the rules but if anyone has one but won't be competing I'll purchase it from you.

Can they be picked up anywhere else?

Well done on the PB.

With all these race reports I'm looking forward to the Tullamore Half Marathon next 6, are many people here doing it?

Me!
    Kemcloughlin is signed up too.
    Anyone else? :)

DBB wrote: »
    Me!
    Kemcloughlin is signed up too.
    Anyone else? :)

Cool, we will have to come up with a secret sign so we can recognize each other :-)

How are people going to handle this week? I was going to copy the week that is on the plan for the Dublin Half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cool, we will have to coke up with a secret sign so we can recognize each other :-)

How are people going to handle this week? I was going to copy the week that is on the plan for the Dublin Half.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan for this week.

It's always fun to meet up with strangers from the internet :). It's also tradition for everyone to meet up in McGrattan's following DCM.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds like a good plan for this week.

It's always fun to meet up with strangers from the internet :). It's also tradition for everyone to meet up in McGrattan's following DCM.

Excellent, something to help get through the 26 odd miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lads, this is either going to be the most genius thing you read tonight, or the most ridiculous, and then I'm going to feel mighty embarrassed :o But on the off chance that it might be genius, I'm willing to risk it ...

Have been thinking about the cup thing. Do you think it would work if you brought a straw (insert face-palming monkey emoji in here) in your fuel bag and maybe you could stick the straw into the cup and then squeeze it closed with your thumb and index finger (or close it over if it's a paper cup) then voila, drink through straw, dispose of cup, keep straw. Could it work? Or have I just made an absolute show of myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Lads, this is either going to be the most genius thing you read tonight, or the most ridiculous, and then I'm going to feel mighty embarrassed :o But on the off chance that it might be genius, I'm willing to risk it ...

Have been thinking about the cup thing. Do you think it would work if you brought a straw (insert face-palming monkey emoji in here) in your fuel bag and maybe you could stick the straw into the cup and then squeeze it closed with your thumb and index finger (or close it over if it's a paper cup) then voila, drink through straw, dispose of cup, keep straw. Could it work? Or have I just made an absolute show of myself :o

I have heard of people carrying straws, so whatever work. If it's the Dublin half you are worrying about, they are providing bottles for this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

WEEK 10 PREVIEW!!

Thanks to Huzzah! for stepping in to deliver last week's preview (the hurling was very enjoyable :D)

We have passed the halfway mark and are now into the second half of the training plans - well done for getting this far! Just six more weeks until it's taper time :eek:.

It is great to see the buzz building in here - race weeks really get the excitement going and help motivate us for the next tranche of training. Some great performances yesterday in the Phoenix Park, and also today in Clonmel. Us mentors feel like proud/nervous parents on race day :p. Congratulations again to everyone. If things didn't go as you anticipated, just try be honest with yourself - maybe it was just a bad day at the office, or maybe training hasn't been what it should? As I mentioned yesterday, even if the race went well for you, have a think about what you could improve on for next time - these build-up races are great learning opportunities.

Week 10 looks like this:
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|2-3m easy or rest|3m easy|7m easy|4m easy|rest|15m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|19m lsr|2m rec

It's the highest mileage week yet for both plans, and the long runs enter uncharted territory too.

If you were racing at the weekend be watchful, particularly early in the week. Your legs will be tired so listen to your body and don't be afraid to skip or cut short an easy run if required. Just be honest with yourself.

Homework
    How was week nine for you?
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    - Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    - At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any :pac:)

Good luck for the week ahead, and especially to those racing in Tullamore (or elsewhere). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Week

Homework
    - At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any :pac:)

It was a funny week, I didn't know what to be doing with one less run . I went swimming instead

3 mile 12.11( I ran this with a friend, took our time and chatted going around)

6 mile 11.41 avg per mile

FD 10 mile 10.59 average per mile. I was conscious not to go too quick at the beginning. 1st mile was 10.31, 2nd mile 9.59, although I felt comfortable at this pace I found it hard to pace it . Maybe the 2nd mile was too quick.

I didn't weave like I would normally do. I have found since I have increased my distance my pace is definitely alot slower than when I was just doing 10km races.

Funnily enough, I really look forward to my long runs, the early morning starts and the peace and quiet time on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭py

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yup.
    Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Midweek runs
    1 -  5.5Km, 6:28/Km,  136avg HR
    2 -  10Km,  6:15/Km,  136avg HR
    Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race
     Time: 1:24:39, 5:11/Km,  N/Aavg HR
    At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any :pac:)

Probably the FD10 yesterday. Whilst it didn't go to plan, it was a great learning experience and enjoyed it the most out of all the races I've participated in thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Much better week for me - feeling stronger physically and psychologically and I can't wait to race in Tullamore on Saturday - especially after reading everyone's race reports this week.

Yes

Hmmm...probably too fast but heart rate was ok and I felt fine...maybe I am just naturally getting fitter and better?
    3 mile easy 11.15/mile HR 126
    6 mile easy 11.14/mile HR 137
    4 mile easy 10.48/mile HR 136
    14 mile LSR 11.47/mile HR 137

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?
    Great feeling after completing the 14 miles this week - felt fabulous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

WEEK 10 PREVIEW!!

Homework

Congrats again to everyone who raced yesterday and today! I love reading race reports :) and best of luck to those racing next weekend, too. We are all cheering for you!

This week got all the miles in, again a touch too fast probably. Finding it harder to slow down, especially today after racing yesterday. I feel like I should feel happier about my result yesterday (came in under goal time) but annoyed about not pacing it as well as the 10k. I feel like I could’ve pushed it a little harder but the heat and course intimidated me. Will be more confident for the 1/2 in September since the Park will be so fresh in my head and also will hopefully join a pace group for the first time... if they have one for us slower runners that is :)

I have an event on Friday that will make an LSR on Saturday not very pleasant so thinking I might try to get it done Thursday if possible (if not will do it Sunday morning as Plan B).

My favourite part of training so far was racing the south Dublin 10k. I was so happy with that day and want to capture that feeling again... the elusive perfect race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan?

Yes

Yes

I'm not sure what my favourite moment has been. Obviously, my 10mile race felt incredible compared to how it went for me last year, so that is pretty good. However, a 10mile PB doesn't seem sufficient enough to be the defining moment of my marathon training experience to date. I got one of those before. And I'll probably get one again.

When I step back for a moment, take my head out of the training plan and look at the wider context of DCM, I think the thing that makes me happiest is the following conclusion that I have arrived at: That I am a marathon runner. Yes, there is the small detail of that race on 27th October, but I am running that marathon. Every day that I lace up the shoes I am running a bit more of that marathon.

In other news...
    Am genuinely a little bit nervous about the upcoming 19miles. I found this weeks 16m almost as difficult as the last one we did (week 6) and the effort appears to have been the same according to HR data on Strava, despite the previous 16m being much more hilly. Maybe it can be explained by the 10mile race last week? The final 2m felt like a slog, so naturally I am wondering how I will cope for the remaining 5m this weekend. Good news is that I will most likely have company for it again, which will help a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

WEEK 10 PREVIEW!!

Homework

- All runs done, not racing FD, so had a 16mile long run yesterday
    - My PMP miles were a little faster on Wednesday, the main reason being that I did them in the morning rather than after work as I usually do - felt much easier and didn't really realise until the miles pinged that they were a bit faster than usual. Recovery tonight was faster too as the dog was gunning for a run (didn't walk her yesterday as I was wrecked after the long run) and she dragged me around my 3 mile loop!!
    - the end of each long run is a great feeling both of relief and accomplishment. I also have a nerdy love of filling in my spreadsheet with my weekly mileage on a Sunday evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

All complete.

Yep, would have liked a bit quicker for the 10mile race but it wasn't a complete disaster. Another learning experience.

Probably getting the two 16 milers done successfully. I've got both the luxury and the distraction of comparing everything to my previous attempt at this 5 years ago. What I got badly wrong that time around was everything over 15 miles and pacing in general. It's a luxury to know that.
    The distraction is comparing the build up times. I came into both marathon attempts off very similar Terenure 5 mile times. Five years ago I went on to run 44min 10k, 1.14 10mile. This time if gone 51min 10k and 1.26 10mile. In frustrated that I'm so far off those times. But keep reminding myself that I burnt out the last time and this time it's all about the marathon endurance, keep having to remind myself to trust the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

How was week 10 for you?
    Yup all runs completed this week. Was a stepback week for me with no racing

Well I think I did anyway ;);)

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?
    With no race taken place yet in the plan, my favourite moment was either completing the 20 mile MLR 2 weeks ago or the 12 mile PMP run last week. Both tough but satisfying runs in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Week 10
    Did you complete all runs? Unfortunately no, missed 6 mile midweek run. Ran FD10mile, was happy with how it went.

Favourite moment of training ?
    Finishing the 14 mile lsr, busy week this week so need to plan three mid week runs well !
    Have great week everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Straws are a thing. Needs practice though - I carried 2 in NYC marathon last year and dropped both in first half of race. Not necessary for DCM though, because water will be in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

-How was week nine for you?
    Tough. Having done all the training until this week fairly comfortably, looking forward to facing my first race in the FD10M, injury strikes at the worst time. I don't know if following this thread made it tougher looking at all the race reports, or helped with all the encouragement. It's a strange one.
    No, ankle twist with tendon inflammation to weak achilles made sure of that.
    N/A
    2 buckets, 1 hot, 1 cold, alternating foot baths, was my exercise of choice for the week.
    More of that ahead this week, and I'll throw in some cross training and cycling to keep ticking over.
    Funnily enough, I would have to say the 16mile run last weekend where I picked up my injury, but didn't feel it, I felt strong that day, like I had plenty more miles in the legs. Could barely do 2 the next day and knew something bad happened. Onward and upward, I'll be back, possibly with revised targets if need be.
    On a lighter note, we'll done all the racers this weekend, a lot of impressive running, and heads up to any of my fellow lame folks, keep the faith.

Yes, all done.

The shorter midweek runs went well, very comfortable and better pace. They restored my slightly shaken confidence after a tough week last week.
    But then, the LSR yesterday put paid to that renewed confidence a bit :o
    Like you bananaleaf, I found it a struggle yesterday, almost from the start my HR was elevated despite me taking it very easy. But... my husband is following a DCM novice group on Facebook just out of interest, and there were looooads of posts on it from people who not only found yesterday's LSR a struggle, many of them aborted the mission several miles short of the target. They blamed the heat?
    It was deceptively warm I think. I also did a similar route for the lsr last weekend, and it is quite a challenging route with a lot of long, deceptive drags which seem to channel the wind slap bang into your face. Mind you... with the heat yesterday, the breeze was quite a relief!
    I also made the mistake of leaving my 2nd water bottle hidden too far along my route... it was at the half way point between starting point and home, but I hadn't factored in my plan this week to get 6km done before starting my route home ...duh... I always carry a water bottle, always. So I felt vulnerable when I ran out of water, and bloody relieved to finally get to it :o
    Given what the folks on facebook were saying, it was good to get it done, maybe a mental battle was won there?!

Tuesday, 3m @ 11.12 mins/mile, avg HR 138
    Wednesday, 6.6m @ 11.36 mins/mile, avg HR 140
    Thursday, 4.5m @ 11.35 mins/mile, avg HR 140
    Saturday, 15m @ 12.22 mins/mile, avg HR 147

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

Great question :D
    Running-wise, the Edenderry 10 mile race towards the end of July was really enjoyable... the discovery that I could maintain a decent (for me) pace over a reasonably challenging course for 10 miles was a significant stepping stone for me.
    But honestly, for me, the bestest thing has been the personal development... the reality that I'm actually doing this! I really didn't think I ever could or would. The discovery that I can be really disciplined, and stick to a plan that, barring disaster, will get me to the start line feeling ready to run a MARATHON!!! ME?!! Reeeally??!!
    I think I may be one of the elder lemons in our fab novices group here, but it just goes to show... when you push yourself, you never stop learning new things about yourself :)

You're the best woman to raise a lol out of me you know :D
    As posted above, I always carry a water bottle with me, one of the ones with the wide opening. The last few LSRs, I've been practising slooshing water from bottles and cups into my own bottle. When I get it wrong, it's like something out of "It's A Knockout", but refreshing all the same :D

Week 9 was good, feel like we've broken the back on the training and finish line (starting line) is coming into sight.

Yes, did the runs posted for those people not running the FD 10 mile.

Monday - 14.5M @ 8.49 m/m. This is the lsr I missed.
    Tuesday - 4 @ 8.18 m/m.
    Wednesday - 7 @ 8.34 m/m.
    Friday - 17 @ 8.57 m/m.
    Saturday - 3.75 @ match and 3.1 @ 11.04 m/m.
    Sunday - 1.5 @ match.

I ran the recovery on Sunday with someone and I was interested to see what my heart rate was like. I've come to the conclusion regardless of how slow I run my heart rate will be at similar levels.

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

I suppose I'm happy with how rigidly I've stuck the schedule, I've only missed 2 or 3 runs and I've made up 2 of them so really feel I'm giving myseld every opportunity to succeed.

I'm impressed with how far I've come, over 50 miles this week between running, football training and matches, looking at garmin in August 2018 I did 13 miles total for the month.

Now I'd like to see the results in that training show on Tullamore next week with a strong run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭py

Should I assume that everyone who raced at the weekend is still suffering from doms? There's an option of a recovery run in the HHN1 today but I'm going to take it as a rest day, albeit commuting on the bike as usual. Will need to stretch and roll today to get the legs ready for resuming the plan tomorrow.

Still running through the post mortem in my head and trying to see where I could've improved at the FD10 on Saturday.

I didn't fuel during it at all so I was wondering if people consumed bars/gels to fuel during the FD10? Last food was about 2.5 hours before the race start time. I'd taken on a bowl of porridge with berries and a banana along with a good chunk of yoghurt and blueberries.

A brief 5-10 second stop at the middle water stop to take on fluids may have proved beneficial to me later in the race.

How did people pace the sharp ascents/descents?

Advertisement