Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sorbet wrote: »

Really enjoyed the race and as we reach half way in the training plan I have to pinch myself – to think I could run a 10 mile race in the Phoenix Park, hold my own, run the whole way and most importantly enjoy the experience. It is not an understatement to say that I would not have had this experience to date without the input of the mentors and all the encouragement from everyone in the group. Thanks so much to all – I’m already beginning to worry what I’ll do when the novice group is no more!!

On a final note – enjoying everyone else’s successes on Strava, whether it be great times or getting it done when going through real struggles – well done all. For the nerds among you I only spotted the fly by functionality today on Strava when you are on the desktop version – doesn’t serve any great purpose but was great to plot your progress against some other members from the group in the race – a bit like Relive, just a gimmick but thought I’d mention it. I'll get my coat :o

Happy running all.

Well done on a well-executed race. Nothing to do with me at all; you've put in the hard work and you had a sensible run.

I felt the same at my first Race Series Race - it's nice with all the solo training to feel a part of the community.

And not to worry about missing your fellow novices, if experience is anything to go by, they'll be pretty hard to get rid of after DCM ;) It would be great if some of you could arrange a meet up before the half... we might also look to arrange a group run in the Park some weekend for anyone who can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I had a similar knee issue last year before the marathon and I ended up going to the physio for a few visits, mostly for some exercises to strengthen everything up. It might be an idea if you can swing it.

Thanks Huzzah, I taught i was finished when it started happening. I'd be just running and it felt like I was going to fall over. Even standing on the leg putting on your socks, it felt like the leg couldn't support me. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Any idea what it's called or causes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on a well-executed race. Nothing to do with me at all; you've put in the hard work and you had a sensible run.

I felt the same at my first Race Series Race - it's nice with all the solo training to feel a part of the community.

And not to worry about missing your fellow novices, if experience is anything to go by, they'll be pretty hard to get rid of after DCM ;) It would be great if some of you could arrange a meet up before the half... we might also look to arrange a group run in the Park some weekend for anyone who can make it.

That sounds great if a meet up could happen as I'm not doing the DCM half - be nice to put faces to the usernames :D

Ok as my half is Sat the 14th then i am in Vegas from 19th till 26th can you suggest how i change these 2 weeks around? I am very conscious to get my lsr done so was thinking the Friday i'm away as the wedding is the Sat & 40th celebrations the Sunday. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Do you have a race coming up?

Yes, I have a 5k coming up Thursday week (part of the plan) and then the Charleville HM on the 15th of Sept. Looking forward to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That sounds great if a meet up could happen as I'm not doing the DCM half - be nice to put faces to the usernames :D

Ok as my half is Sat the 14th then i am in Vegas from 19th till 26th can you suggest how i change these 2 weeks around? I am very conscious to get my lsr done so was thinking the Friday i'm away as the wedding is the Sat & 40th celebrations the Sunday. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Do week 13 of the plan in the lead up to your half, week 14 a week later and week 12 the following week? It gives you a relatively down week while you are away and a nice easy build up to your half.

• Advertisement

clickhere wrote: »
    Thanks Huzzah, I taught i was finished when it started happening. I'd be just running and it felt like I was going to fall over. Even standing on the leg putting on your socks, it felt like the leg couldn't support me. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Any idea what it's called or causes it.

Tbh, if you can at all, I'd get to a physio. It's worth having a strengthening programme in place.

I didn't get a diagnosis per se but I had some swelling on the knee. Of course, what was the case for me might be very different for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

That would be great on both counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I had a similar knee issue last year before the marathon and I ended up going to the physio for a few visits, mostly for some exercises to strengthen everything up. It might be an idea if you can swing it.

Same here the week before my first half marathon a few years ago. Turned out to be knee bursitis.

Whatever it is in this case, a physio should be able to quickly diagnose and prescribe a good exercise/strengthening routine to resolve it and get you back running pain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Sorbet wrote: »
    A bit late with the race report but still wanted to get my recollections down.

I guarantee you, aside from running a great race, writing a report like this in such detail will really stand to you in time and will become a valuable reference guide to you in the months to come.
    Even in a years time, if you decide to run this event again, looking back at how you managed your race, pacing, fueling etc. will be a great gauge for you.

Not only that, you'll also get a huge confidence boost when you see just how much you've improved. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Sorry the race didn’t go your way but your comment made me laugh. It seems that most with a similar aim to you ended up with a similar result, so you don't need me to tell you to not get too disheartened by the result.

What half are you doing?

Back to the PP for the race series half in 25 DAYS!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

I think you had quite a good race, although you'd a bit of a struggle for the last couple of k? Potentially sticking to the 1.25 pacing advice would've had you finishing stronger, but it was a good debut at the distance.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. You ran a good race. Races hurt when you run them well. Struggling towards the end is part of the 'fun' :pac:
    As regards your own Frank Duffy race at the weekend, I'd agree with Huzzah! that possibly starting out at 1:25 pace would have left you capable of a stronger finish, but really we are being very picky, as skyblue46 says you ran a good race. As the race distances increase, it is really hard to estimate finishing times and judge the appropriate paces and effort - even very experienced runners will almost always feel like they could have managed a race better. You ran a very good race on Saturday.

Thanks for the kind words folks, I've drawn a line under it now so I can get on with progressing through the remaining half of the program. Looking forward to the DCHM and DCM now after gaining valuable race experience at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

DBB wrote: »
    Me!
    Kemcloughlin is signed up too.
    Anyone else? :)

Meeeee!

Hopefully will meet some of you there :)

I've never done it before but have read some reports from last year in preparation. Seems like a fair course, with some hills of course. It would be hard to find 13 miles without some hills or drags in fairness. Here is a mapmyrun course profile.

Here is a race report from eyrie, and a link to the thread for the race last year with some details from people who ran it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Meeeee!

I've never done it before but have read some reports from last year in preparation. Seems like a fair course, with some hills of course. It would be hard to find 13 miles without some hills or drags in fairness. Here is a mapmyrun course profile.

Here is a race report from eyrie, and a link to the thread for the race last year with some details from people who ran it.

Im going to aim to be there at around 1015 if people would like to meet up prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

It would be hard to find 13 miles without some hills or drags in fairness.

Think that is why Charleville HM is so popular and a PB course

https://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/rath-luirc-m/charleville-international-half-marathon-route-87196893

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slow runner GK

Hi , I'm new to Boards & hoping to complete my first DCM 2019, I'm finding long runs hard on my own, I've done a couple of HM & a 10 mile last Saturday . I'm very slow ! & I was wondering if there are any groups around Dublin 15 that are doing LSR at the weekends? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hi , I'm new to Boards & hoping to complete my first DCM 2019, I'm finding long runs hard on my own, I've done a couple of HM & a 10 mile last Saturday . I'm very slow ! & I was wondering if there are any groups around Dublin 15 that are doing LSR at the weekends? Thank you.

Hey GK, stick up some of your recent race times and a summary of some of the training you've been doing. Plenty of great people here willing to give advice and assistance and with a bit of luck there may be some groups meeting up for long runs etc. As Ive said to ya before I met loads through the novices thread in 2017 that I still talk to and see at races etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Meeeee!

Omg I knew you were planning on doing it! Duh :o
    Thanks for eyrie's report, that'll be chewed over later.
    Have any of ye got your t-shirts and race numbers through the post yet? I did today, coz I'm lazy. We'll have no issue knowing each other anyway... our first names are written on our numbers :D
    Fab t-shirts too. Really nice. Although they're bright pink with some camo on the shoulders, so might not be as big a hit with the boys :o

I have been asked in work to be part of the team running the new 1/2 marathon in south Dublin called Fastlane! Its on Sunday the 29th Sept - thats the Sunday after my holiday. Would it be a good idea to run it slowly as part of my LSR or best avoided:eek:

Have any of ye got your t-shirts and race numbers through the post yet? I did today, coz I'm lazy. We'll have no issue knowing each other anyway... our first names are written on our numbers :D
    Fab t-shirts too. Really nice. Although they're bright pink with some camo on the shoulders, so might not be as big a hit with the boys :o

If I’d known about the T-shirts, I might’ve signed up myself.

I have been asked in work to be part of the team running the new 1/2 marathon in south Dublin called Fastlane! Its on Sunday the 29th Sept - thats the Sunday after my holiday. Would it be a good idea to run it slowly as part of my LSR or best avoided:eek:

Would you really and truly run it slowly? That’s the question. I’m not sure how your holiday fits into the plan but that’s a 20-mile run weekend, so it’s super important. It’s also only a month away from DCM: if you got carried away, you’ll ruin your marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Just catching up on some logs. Amazing how many people really struggled on Saturday, many of the regular experienced posters on the forum having tough days. A lot of the reports are very similar, chasing a target for the first 4 or 5 miles, water station disasters, slogs by the zoo and gruelling last miles or DNFs. Gives me some reassurance about my own run.

Would you really and truly run it slowly? That’s the question. I’m not sure how your holiday fits into the plan but that’s a 20-mile run weekend, so it’s super important. It’s also only a month away from DCM: if you got carried away, you’ll ruin your marathon.

Yeah thats cool was just sounding it out, no big deal if i don't do it :)

This is what i was advised in a previous reply about my holiday:

Do week 13 of the plan in the lead up to your half, week 14 a week later and week 12 the following week? It gives you a relatively down week while you are away and a nice easy build up to your half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slow runner GK

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Hey GK, stick up some of your recent race times and a summary of some of the training you've been doing. Plenty of great people here willing to give advice and assistance and with a bit of luck there may be some groups meeting up for long runs etc. As Ive said to ya before I met loads through the novices thread in 2017 that I still talk to and see at races etc.
    Thanks, wasn't even sure how to reply here ha

Just catching up on some logs. Amazing how many people really struggled on Saturday, many of the regular experienced posters on the forum having tough days. A lot of the reports are very similar, chasing a target for the first 4 or 5 miles, water station disasters, slogs by the zoo and gruelling last miles or DNFs. Gives me some reassurance about my own run.

I can't think of anyone from this thread who had a really bad run given how hot it was. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm cheap and chose to collect it :)
    They sound lovely though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yeah thats cool was just sounding it out, no big deal if i don't do it :)

This is what i was advised in a previous reply about my holiday:

Skyblue's advice is sound, although I'd probably still leave the 20 miler where it is in Week 14. That's then turned into a bit of a monster week though with 9m at pace too, so I've moved that a day earlier as well. Something like the below might work?

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    12|3m easy|4m easy w/ 5 x strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|2m easy|RACE|2m rec
    13|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|8m easy|5m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|3m rec
    14|rest,cross or 3m rec|1m w/u, 9m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|6m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|20m lsr|3m rec

I'd also fully agree with Huzzah's response to the Fastlane race.

Skyblue's advice is sound, although I'd probably still leave the 20 miler where it is in Week 14. That's then turned into a bit of a monster week though with 9m at pace too, so I've moved that a day earlier as well. Something like the below might work?

Week|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    12|3m easy|4m easy w/ 5 x strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|2m easy|RACE|2m rec
    13|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|8m easy|5m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|3m rec
    14|rest,cross or 3m rec|1m w/u, 9m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|6m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|20m lsr|3m rec

I'd also fully agree with Huzzah's response to the Fastlane race.

Thank you, can i do the 16m LSR on the Friday as i have the wedding on the Sat & not sure how I'd fit it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thank you, can i do the 16m LSR on the Friday as i have the wedding on the Sat & not sure how I'd fit it in?

Haha... I missed that bit! Yeah, that should be ok, just watch yourself during that week after the race and shorten the 8m and/or 5m if needed.

Haha... I missed that bit! Yeah, that should be ok, just watch yourself during that week after the race and shorten the 8m and/or 5m if needed.

Haha no bother :) cheers! Now to find a 16mile route in Vegas :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Haha no bother :) cheers! Now to find a 16mile route in Vegas :eek:

Can't wait to see that one on Strava!

Advertisement