Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

So had physio today. He (a long time quality runner) put it down to inflammation of ligaments and achilles tendon from an ankle sprain/twist. Sore but healing, he said easy run tomorrow will tell me a lot
    I've iced, exercised, stretched, rested, got physio, my downfall may be impatience. He said if run tomorrow goes well, can't see why I can run the FD10M. If there is tears and grinding teeth, I have to stop. Anything in between (discomfort), maybe just use the 10 miles as a LSR
    I'll let ye know how run goes in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Karlos80 wrote: »
    So had physio today. He (a long time quality runner) put it down to inflammation of ligaments and achilles tendon from an ankle sprain/twist. Sore but healing, he said easy run tomorrow will tell me a lot
    I've iced, exercised, stretched, rested, got physio, my downfall may be impatience. He said if run tomorrow goes well, can't see why I can run the FD10M. If there is tears and grinding teeth, I have to stop. Anything in between (discomfort), maybe just use the 10 miles as a LSR

Best of luck in the morning Karlos80

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Looks like it’s going to be a warm one for everyone racing tomorrow. Plenty of hydration today! I’m looking forward to it, if a bit apprehensive after the 10k disaster. Taking the runs extra easy so far this week and the legs feel pretty fresh. Plan is to hopefully run a slight negative split and come home somewhere sub 1.21. Will have to see how the body reacts to the step up in pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck with the run :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Do keep us posted and don't be afraid to can the race tomorrow if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck to everyone running FD10 tomorrow, looking forward to the race reports :)

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Didn't go well, and I didn't force it, ankle/achilles still too weak. Taking a break now until it strengthens up, so I'm going to get up on the bike and cross trainer in the meantime. I'll reassess how I am again this time next week.
    Caught between not wanting to do damage, and not wanting to miss too much, raging I'm missing tomorrow.

Didn't go well, and I didn't force it, ankle/achilles still too weak. Taking a break now until it strengthens up, so I'm going to get up on the bike and cross trainer in the meantime. I'll reassess how I am again this time next week.
    Caught between not wanting to do damage, and not wanting to miss too much, raging I'm missing tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this. It must be very frustrating but a stitch in time will save nine. Resting now and re-building the ankle will hopefully mean you will miss less in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Looking forward to tomorrow. I could get used to resting like this :D

https://twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/1164591692600762369

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

sounds to me like you are doing the right thing take as much rest as you need even if it is 3 week your not going to lose your fitness especially if you are cycling instead it can help increase fitness and endurance as well! one word of caution avoid turing up the resistance and cycling standing up that can overload the tendon as well.

my achilles took me out for months and this time last year I had to miss the FD 10 mile, the Dublin HM and the Marathon I did not get back till just before the marathon took place last year I was only running 20 to 25 mins at a time may be 3 times a week but I cycled a lot in the mean time.

I hope your back before you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's still a couple of 20+ mile weeks - not too bad at all. How is the chin now?

I know I mention this every time, but... you are still running about a minute per mile too fast on your easy runs. :)

Chin is good thanks, the only thing left now is the scar.

I've had a fairly busy week so far, could be on course to break 50 miles.

Monday did the long run I missed last week so 14.5 and got the 17 mile lsr for tomorrow out of the way today.

Will bring the easy runs down to the 930ish mark.

Chin is good thanks, the only thing left now is the scar.

I've had a fairly busy week so far, could be on course to break 50 miles.

Monday did the long run I missed last week so 14.5 and got the 17 mile lsr for tomorrow out of the way today.

Will bring the easy runs down to the 930ish mark.

Two long runs in five days? :eek: I might need some time to recover from this information :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sorbet

Basic question alert.

With life getting in the way I won't get to do my 2 miles easy from the Boards plan until late this evening.

Any problem with doing it at say 9.30 pm and then racing in the FD10 in the morning?or am I better to leave it? It's only 2 miles so I'm guessing I should do it but thought I'd check. Thanks

Sorbet wrote: »
    Basic question alert.

With life getting in the way I won't get to do my 2 miles easy from the Boards plan until late this evening.

Any problem with doing it at say 9.30 pm and then racing in the FD10 in the morning?or am I better to leave it? It's only 2 miles so I'm guessing I should do it but thought I'd check. Thanks

It's up to you. If I don't do a small run the day before a race, I feel a bit sluggish on race day, but it's no harm if you skip it either. If you do run tonight, make sure and keep it super easy, though.

Folks, good luck to all racing tomorrow. If it's very warm, revise your goal downwards and start conservatively.

I'm looking forward to a Sunday of race reports :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Folks, good luck to all racing tomorrow. If it's very warm, revise your goal downwards and start conservatively.

I'm looking forward to a Sunday of race reports :)

Thank you! I’m actually considering carrying my own water given how warm it is meant to be. Good luck everyone and run healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I was looking up the course for the Frank Duffy 10 mile and I remembered our DCM 17 mentor Wubble Wubble had some great information for us in our DCM 17 journey with a course guide for the route . so thought I would reshare again.

This is well worth a read :D but best advice is a conservative start for a strong finish

Good luck everyone :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104432011&postcount=2174

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow all

I am doing my 16m LSR tomorrow as I raced last week

I expect it to take me 3hrs 20mins (12:30min/m)

Is 3 gels okay to take for it? 1 each hr? Or is that too many?

Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Doc76 wrote: »
    Thank you! I’m actually considering carrying my own water given how warm it is meant to be. Good luck everyone and run healthy!

Do it, good practice.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow all

I am doing my 16m LSR tomorrow as I raced last week

I expect it to take me 3hrs 20mins (12:30min/m)

Is 3 gels okay to take for it? 1 each hr? Or is that too many?

Thank you

Nope, three is not too many. Good luck with the LSR.

What are thoughts on fuelling during tomorrow's race? Required or too short a distance to be a concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

py wrote: »
    What are thoughts on fuelling during tomorrow's race? Required or too short a distance to be a concern?

It's too short a distance for a gel to be required from a fuelling perspective. However, it could be a useful trial to carry one, and even take one in a race situation, just for the purpose of practising for the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Walked a couple of of miles in new regular shoes today (ironically scouting a section of the route for tomorrow's LSR) and felt they were pinching my ankles a little bit.
    Arrived home to find a big fat blister on each heel. 17 mile LSR in the morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Walked a couple of of miles in new regular shoes today (ironically scouting a section of the route for tomorrow's LSR) and felt they were pinching my ankles a little bit.
    Arrived home to find a big fat blister on each heel. 17 mile LSR in the morning :eek:

Compede is your friend.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If you haven't raced a 10 miler before then I'd agree with coogy and stay on the cautious side target wise. 10 mile is possibly my favourite distance to race, but it is a significant step up from 10k, and from what I can see you are basing those 1:20 predictions off a 5k, so it's going to be unreliable. By comparison, last year I translated a 48:30 10k into a 1:23 10 mile time, while the GIR time coogy talks about was 43:30. I'd be inclined to say 1:25 would be a better 10 mile target time.

Got in at around 1:24:30,(waiting on chip time) heat was a game changer today. Last 2Km were tough. Good run though, Hope everyone got on ok. Race report later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Frank Duffy 10mile:D

Got to the Phoenix park nice & early & the sun was shining! In my head i was hoping a few clouds would head over & cover it for the race! There were lots of people around doung different things - i always love the buzz of the park!!

I put my bag in & headed off to do a little warm up, once done i joined the queue for the toilets. I was actually quite surprised at how relaxed i felt given my nerves & doubts during the week.

I jumped into the line for the race with only a few seconds to go till the start (queue took ages for toilets) i put my headphones in & turned my music on eagerly waiting to start. And we were off!! Didn't take me long to go through the start but my stupid watch glitched & wouldn't pick up the GPS signal!! F@#king marvellous is my exact thought here!! I decided to not get too bothered by it so just ran at a relatively comfortable pace. 1st mile was a lot of weaving in & out of people so felt slow. As i came up to the mile 1 sign i pressed my watch & it started!
    Miles 2 & 3 were good, i was constantly passing people but not too fast which felt good! We got some water here i drank a bit(i also had my own water with me) but i mainly poured it over myself as it was so hot!
    Mile 4 approached & i looked at my watch & for a sit second i though ffs this is the longest 3 miles ever but then i remembered my watch was a mile behind so that perked me up :)
    Mile 4 & 5 were also good again i steadily overtook people, i actually felt quite strong at this stage.
    Miles 6, 7 & 8 in my head i was telling myself to be conservative because everyone talked about the dreaded Mile 9 so i wanted to make sure i had enough in me but i also felt that while i was still feeling strong why not pick the pace up until i get to the hard part then re- evaluate it??? So thats what i went with,i still felt good & looked for shade anywhere i could find it haha It was great to get a cheer & a friendly smile from Skyblue46 here, it really lifted my morale!
    Mile 9 I really did not know what to expect here but thank god i had built the worst up in my head because in reality i didn't actually find it that bad! All i kept thinking was "you've put the training in, you can do this, you are not giving up just because its a bit harder than before! Cmon girl your not a quiter" I felt i mentally talked my way thru this mile & sure thays what its all about
    FINALLY Mile 10 oh baby how happy i was to see i was almost done, roughly another 8 mins running!!! Again i still felt i had something in the tank so started passing people nothing too fast, Once i caught sight of the clock i knew it was now or never!! I had a time in my head & although i was slightly over it i knew i had to push myself so the last stretch was an all out sprint passing lots of people! This felt amazing :D
    I even got a few pat on the back & well done on that finish from other runners which felt amazing:D

My chip time was 1:22:09 - very proud of that! My 1st ever 10 mile race & it was amazing!!

Hope everyone had a good race today, to me it makes all the training worth it!!

Advertisement