Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Not good news for me I'm afraid.
    Two separate issues going on. Anti- inflams, exercises and referrals for further tests all happening. I'm on running rest for another 10 days...

Tough break but keep the head up, a lot can change in 2/3 weeks. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi all.

Was a novice myself last year. Not going to be able to run this year. Trying to help advice a friend who is running a marathon for the first time but will not join boards.

Question: Should you run 60-90 seconds per mile slower than PMP on all runs or just LSRs? My friend did the Rock and Roll HM in 2:11:49. He is convinced this was an off day and is trying to aim for 4hr marathon. He is consistently running 10mins per mile or faster in training.

I worry that his marathon goal should be closer to 4.30+ so his MP would be closer to 10mins/mile and therefore he should be training at 11mins/mile or slower? He feels any slower than 10mins/mile in training has him down to an awkward jogging pace...Does the 60-90 seconds per mile slower rule still apply at these times? I worry he's running faster than PMP alot of days and will get injured or burnt out. I keep trying to convince him to come here for mentorship but he won't give in:mad:

You are 100% right! Not much more to be said than that. He's quite likely to set off at 9 min mile pace, blow up before Castleknock and have the most horrific 19 miles of his life after that. I don't do sugar coating. He'd need to have walked 5 miles of that half for 4 hours to be a reasonable target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm fairly disappointed tbh, but yeah trying to keep a positive outlook.
    Cycling is the plan for a while to keep fitness up.

Really sorry to hear this news Fraggle. Hopefully things will take a positive turn after the next ten days. You have absolutely nailed your training to date, and that will stand to you, hopefully for DCM, or worse case scenario, for a later attempt at a marathon. You're on the right track with trying to keep the fitness up while you can't run.
    Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Two separate issues going on. Anti- inflams, exercises and referrals for further tests all happening. I'm on running rest for another 10 days...

Really sorry to hear this! As many have said the main thing now is to not get injured anymore...hopefully it will be good news after the 10days! Fingers crossed for you...keep the chin up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I’m so sorry to hear this! Hope you are on the mend soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Haven't updated in two weeks, kind of fell out of love with it for a few weeks after getting the injury.

It felt like I was missing a lot of runs and didn't think I was getting anywhere, so reevaluated today and looked at the plan and the only run of note that I've missed is the 16 m LSR.

So will be back on track, not racing this week so will have an LSR instead and doing the Tullamore Half the following week.

Week 8 was fine, I was on holidays so new routes and harder to plan when and where I would run.

I missed the LSR as we were coming back home.

Paces were good, the PMP was probably too fast, I was running into a gale force breeze and pouring rain and then when I turned at half I had all those conditions going in my favour so was running faster with the same effort.

Hopefully that's my only little blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Hi There, just wondering is there any Pacers for the FD 10 mile this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Wombled wrote: »
    Hi There, just wondering is there any Pacers for the FD 10 mile this Saturday?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mol36

HI all, Loving this thread can't believe I only just found it :)
    Just wondering about the Frank Duffy on sat, what is the course like, is it hilly?

mol36 wrote: »
    HI all, Loving this thread can't believe I only just found it :)
    Just wondering about the Frank Duffy on sat, what is the course like, is it hilly?

Huzzah! shared a pretty comprehensive course description on Sunday :)
    Frank Duffy 10 Mile 2019 Course Guide

With thanks to Wubble Wubble, below is a course guide for Saturday’s race. I don’t think there’s any change from the 2017 route. 2018 took a lovely detour to Swords but this year, Frank is back in the Phoenix Park. Keep the start conservative and don’t weave if you get caught up in crowds. You will be able to hit your stride soon enough.

Mile 1

The start is on Chesterfield Avenue. Don't be distracted by the usual hares, and take your time until you find your rhythm and correct pace. There's a slight rise at the very beginning, but a little dip before we swing left onto Ordnance Survey Road. There's usually a slight breeze to contend with here, but it's quite flat and shouldn't cause you any difficulty.

Mile 2

We go straight through the crossroads after passing the Ordnance Survey. The road swings to the left and then the fun starts with a downhill mile that gets steeper as we descend towards the Chapelizod Gate. So many race efforts will basically be banjaxed in this section, so resist the temptation to go too fast. Remember, there's still another 8 miles to go after you reach the bottom, including running this road in reverse on the way back!

Mile 3

For many of you, this will be your first test of the day, as we swing away from Chapelizod Gate. The initial section is the hardest, but then the climb is much less severe as we turn right and head for the S-bends and Military Hill. You may have to give yourself a little push or two towards the top of the S-bends, but at this stage you should still be in good shape, with another fast downhill to follow immediately after you reach the top. You'll see the Magazine Fort on your left as you descend the Military Hill; you'll remember having to go up it in the 5 Mile. Again, easy on the quads, as the steepest part of this descent is at the bottom, just before Islandbridge Gate.

Mile 4

We go straight through the crossroads here; the Khyber will be on your left, but we're heading for Wellington Road, and a short but sharp ascent to kick things off. From there it's fairly draggy as we pass the Wellington Monument before a brief turn left onto Chesterfield Avenue. Very soon, we're turning again, right this time, onto another slight rise along Lord's Walk, which takes us round the back of the azoo.

Mile 5

This is a harder one than it looks. There's a little dip before we leave the zoo and turn left onto the North Road. It may look like nothing if you're driving, but especially if you're starting to feel a bit of discomfort, it can feel really tough. It's slow and draggy, and not very exciting, but try and keep your rhythm and your form and you should still be looking good at halfway (roughly around Cabra Gate).

Mile 6

Another slow drag I'm afraid. I never like racing in this part of the Park, as we always have to go left at the start of the triangle beside the Hole In The Wall Pub. There's a water station here as well. Mind the 45 degree turn as you head back towards the North Road. You'll pass Ashtown Castle Visitor Centre just before the next mile marker.

Mile 7

Some welcome respite as we pass Ashtown Gate and head downhill towards the small roundabout near the Castleknock Gate. However, when we ran the loop on Saturday, this is where the wind was at its strongest in very open territory. Back left onto Chesterfield Avenue and downhill this time, as we pass through where we started just before the 7 mile marker.

Mile 8

We continue downhill, straight through the Phoenix (Eagle) roundabout. Hopefully you will still have plenty of power in the legs and can use it to your advantage here. Just as you can see the actual Áras An Uachtarán on your left, we take a sharp right and head towards the Papal Cross, swinging left onto yet more downhill on the Acres Road. Again, it's very exposed and can be very windy.

Mile 9

Towards the bottom of Acres Road, as we pass the entrance to St Mary's Hospital, is where the descent is at its steepest. There's a tricky little chicane to negotiate before we go around the back of the Cheshire Home. Remember, this time we turn right along the path we cover in the 5 mile; we DO NOT go right down to Chapelizod Gate. The start of the Glen Road may seem daunting at first, but it's not actually that steep, and if you've got your pacing right, you'll be passing people for fun now. Believe me, it'll feel good!

Mile 10

The last climb gradually levels off as we go through the twisty section in the middle and head back towards the crossroads we went through at Mile 1. This time, we go right onto the Furze Road, the home straight. If we're lucky, we may have a bit of a breeze behind us. According to the graphic, the finish will be about 700 metres from the crossroads, but from my own experience this isn't always 100% accurate. Regardless, you will have a good look at the finish line several hundred metres before you reach it. You've done all the hard work, and there's only a bit left, so if you have it in the legs, bring it home! Well done! If you actually read through all of this, the race itself will be no problem to you. Fingers crossed for PBs galore on Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Looking at the course profile, in brief it's :

1. downhill for 3.5 miles
    2. uphill from 3.5 to 6.5
    3. downhill 6.5 to 9
    4. last mile uphill

10-mile-Profile-1024x103.jpg

So, the usual conundrum is even pace or even effort. I personally like to run very even pace with a slightly conservative start and a negative split. But I'm considering running a bit ahead of target pace for the first 3.5 miles for this one and running more like even effort.

Any thoughts? It's my first time doing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

I have a bit of a problem, i am following the HH Novice Plan and training is going well, getting more consistent. Problem is I am on a weekend away with the lads Oct 4th - Oct 7th. This will impact my 20 miler as it wont be possible to do it that week.

I am signed up for the Dublin City Half would it be ok to do the 20 miles the week after that?

Worst weekend of the training block to miss but theres not much i can do about it. Do in need to increase the milage of any other LSR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi all.

Was a novice myself last year. Not going to be able to run this year. Trying to help advice a friend who is running a marathon for the first time but will not join boards.

Question: Should you run 60-90 seconds per mile slower than PMP on all runs or just LSRs? My friend did the Rock and Roll HM in 2:11:49. He is convinced this was an off day and is trying to aim for 4hr marathon. He is consistently running 10mins per mile or faster in training.

I worry that his marathon goal should be closer to 4.30+ so his MP would be closer to 10mins/mile and therefore he should be training at 11mins/mile or slower? He feels any slower than 10mins/mile in training has him down to an awkward jogging pace...Does the 60-90 seconds per mile slower rule still apply at these times? I worry he's running faster than PMP alot of days and will get injured or burnt out. I keep trying to convince him to come here for mentorship but he won't give in:mad:

Does he have any other race results?
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    You are 100% right! Not much more to be said than that. He's quite likely to set off at 9 min mile pace, blow up before Castleknock and have the most horrific 19 miles of his life after that. I don't do sugar coating. He'd need to have walked 5 miles of that half for 4 hours to be a reasonable target.

I agree a sub4 attempt is not going to end well, but if he had other race results to at least inform his training paces?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

pc11 wrote: »

3. downhill 6.5 to 9
    4. last mile uphill

The course profile image that you embedded isn't showing up for me, so here's one I made earlier

488676.png

Irishder wrote: »
    I have a bit of a problem, i am following the HH Novice Plan and training is going well, getting more consistent. Problem is I am on a weekend away with the lads Oct 4th - Oct 7th. This will impact my 20 miler as it wont be possible to do it that week.

I am signed up for the Dublin City Half would it be ok to do the 20 miles the week after that?

Worst weekend of the training block to miss but theres not much i can do about it. Do in need to increase the milage of any other LSR?

That really is a key week, and a key run. Can you get the 20 miler in on the morning of the 4th, and adjust the rest of that week a touch?

Also, you are still running all your runs far too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Cant do the 4th as i am leaving for the airport at 5:00 AM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Do it on the 3rd. You will need to move stuff around, but try to not drop long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Got my PMP run done this morning before work and couldn't get over how much easier it was to do in the morning rather than after a day's work at 7 o'clock in the evening. As a result was a touch faster but it felt much easier on the legs. I actually really enjoyed it today and it means I don't have to run before or after my daughter's 8th birthday celebrations this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

eabha19 wrote: »
    Got my PMP run done this morning before work and couldn't get over how much easier it was to do in the morning rather than after a day's work at 7 o'clock in the evening. As a result was a touch faster but it felt much easier on the legs. I actually really enjoyed it today and it means I don't have to run before or after my daughter's 8th birthday celebrations this evening!
    Well done and happy birthday to your daughter! Hope you all have a lovely evening

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Aw no Fraggle07 that is terrible news. Don't lose hope and rest up.

Crossing everything for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

3. downhill 6.5 to 9
    4. last mile uphill

So, the usual conundrum is even pace or even effort. I personally like to run very even pace with a slightly conservative start and a negative split. But I'm considering running a bit ahead of target pace for the first 3.5 miles for this one and running more like even effort.

A lot depends on how you handle hills in general, I think. For me, I’ll aim to make the most of the descents and won’t be worried about running slightly ahead of pace on them. One thing I’ve found over the years is my running style seems to suit descents and I can pick up good pace without burning the legs or lungs. I’m not so good going up hill so I know I need to bank a bit.

I know others who really struggle with descending and find it burns out the legs but they can fly uphill. Probably not very helpful at all, but it really does depend on the person and what suits your own style. Even effort definitely works better for me than even pace.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If you are working off a realistic PMP at the moment, then it's not going to drastically change over the coming months. Certainly, I don't think anyone is doing their PMP miles too slow, but some are doing them too fast, so hopefully we'll get them to slow down appropriately.

Similar story for goal times really. Hopefully by this stage we have set people's expectations towards a realistic ballpark. The upcoming races should also help to a certain degree in confirming or re-assessing potential target times. As we've said many times though, don't get too focused on a particular goal - one novice last year missed their goal by 7 seconds and was devastated. Try not to let the time you achieve define whether your first marathon was a success or not.

Thank you Mr. G.

Might come back to the mentors after the DCM half for a chat on goal setting. I personally have to have a number to work towards and obviously i'll be realistic and conservative too. :)

I think i'm in the zone now. I'm starting to plan food before and after runs and i'm testing various fuel for during running too.

The short run last night was very hard. Coach advised me to run on the days that I'm training legs, to get a sense for running when my legs are very heavy and sore. Longest run home ever, but i'm fresh as a daisy today!

This is an old article from Runners World (from 2007!) on 10 mile race strategy which is pretty basic/straight forward but might be helpful

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20786439/run-the-perfect-10-mile-race/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

3. downhill 6.5 to 9
    4. last mile uphill

A lot depends on how you handle hills in general, I think. For me, I’ll aim to make the most of the descents and won’t be worried about running slightly ahead of pace on them. One thing I’ve found over the years is my running style seems to suit descents and I can pick up good pace without burning the legs or lungs. I’m not so good going up hill so I know I need to bank a bit.

I know others who really struggle with descending and find it burns out the legs but they can fly uphill. Probably not very helpful at all, but it really does depend on the person and what suits your own style. Even effort definitely works better for me than even pace.

The main caveat with this strategy is not to get too carried away in the opening miles. The profile of the course, coupled with race start exuberance, is the perfect storm for doing so, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The main caveat with this strategy is not to get too carried away in the opening miles. The profile of the course, coupled with race start exuberance, is the perfect storm for doing so, imho.

Absolutely. It definitely takes discipline to find the balance between making the most of a downhill and just haring off like a loon! I’ve got a rough pace strategy worked out, but it’s a variation of no more than 10 seconds quicker and 15 seconds slower per mile than goal pace.

Haven't updated in two weeks, kind of fell out of love with it for a few weeks after getting the injury.

It felt like I was missing a lot of runs and didn't think I was getting anywhere, so reevaluated today and looked at the plan and the only run of note that I've missed is the 16 m LSR.

So will be back on track, not racing this week so will have an LSR instead and doing the Tullamore Half the following week.

Week 8 was fine, I was on holidays so new routes and harder to plan when and where I would run.

I missed the LSR as we were coming back home.

Paces were good, the PMP was probably too fast, I was running into a gale force breeze and pouring rain and then when I turned at half I had all those conditions going in my favour so was running faster with the same effort.

Hopefully that's my only little blip.

That's still a couple of 20+ mile weeks - not too bad at all. How is the chin now?

I know I mention this every time, but... you are still running about a minute per mile too fast on your easy runs. :)

Singer wrote: »
    Do it on the 3rd. You will need to move stuff around, but try to not drop long runs.

Agree with Singer here. Play around with your schedule and do what you need to fit in the long runs. Obviously avoid lumping hard days on top of each other too.

Thank you Mr. G.

Might come back to the mentors after the DCM half for a chat on goal setting. I personally have to have a number to work towards and obviously i'll be realistic and conservative too. :)

I think i'm in the zone now. I'm starting to plan food before and after runs and i'm testing various fuel for during running too.

The short run last night was very hard. Coach advised me to run on the days that I'm training legs, to get a sense for running when my legs are very heavy and sore. Longest run home ever, but i'm fresh as a daisy today!

Yes, absolutely we can look towards goal times with more certainty after the HM.

What I will advise for now, is to seriously slow it right down. The closer to 7min/km the better.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    What I will advise for now, is to seriously slow it right down. The closer to 7min/km the better.

OK :o I'll take it right back. Starting from tonight!

• Advertisement

Just a heads up, garmin 235 is deal of the day on amazon for £130 :)

Advertisement