Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's a great attitude. Your HM time would suggest that you've a shot at dipping under 3:50 in the marathon. I'm not sure there is much point in being more aggressive than that, especially for your first. As eabha19 and ariana' mentioned, not too many people will care if you finish in 3:47 or 3:57.

IIRC, you were assigned to wave 4 - have you enquired about moving up? Wave 2 would seem more appropriate.

Wow that's great to hear as i feel it's what i am capable of but of course not a sure thing!!

Yes i emailed them with my last 2 race times asking to be moved but i have heard nothing back yet. I might try ring the office on Monday as it would be one less stress on the day if i got moved up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

That was a tough week.. Glad to be on home stretch.

Had to get LSR in on Friday morning for various reasons which meant front loading the rest of the easy runs (Mon, Tues, Wed) so with the half it was a 52 mile (7days, not week) which is unprecedented for me anyway. I did 21 yesterday, couldn't help it. I just needed to go a little longer than before before pulling back.

The run was fine but coming up to last mile or two, despite it being slow, it did hit home that if you're chasing some sort of target - there is the potential to be in some dark places on the day!

Glad to have the longest midweek and LSR done. Am going to really focus on good diet, sleep and looking after myself rolling/stretching for the next 4 weeks. Considering we've been going for so long already, 4 weeks is nothing to give ourselves the best chance to getting the best from the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The breakfast of champions.

:D

I don't know why I had 25km in my head, just looked back there and the 14 miles is roughly 22.5 so did 2.5km extra! Just in the door, 2:50:32.

Time for real food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yes i emailed them with my last 2 race times asking to be moved but i have heard nothing back yet. I might try ring the office on Monday as it would be one less stress on the day if i got moved up :)
    I got an email from them yesterday moving me up to Wave 2 but I applied the Monday after Charleville so maybe it takes them a little while to work through the requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

py wrote: »
    DCM Goal: 3:59:59

The perfect DCM day strategy: Start with either the 4 or 4:10 pacers till about the 15-20Km on 5:45min/Km pace. Up the pace to 5:30min/Km till the end of 36th Km (Top of Roebuck Road) and then take her home at somewhere between 5:15-5:30min/Km. This could of course all fall apart along the way, hence it being "perfect DCM day".

My reasoning:
    • DCHM went well from the time I woke up will the time I got home.
    • My pre race routine is solid right now from timing of breakfast to what I'm actually eating.
    • Fuelling/hydration during the DCHM (and LSRs) has been spot on and I've been disciplined to fuel/hydrate even if I feel like I don't need to so it's not too late when I do eventually fuel/hydrate.
    • I'll be cutting back on the cycling in the week runninng up to DCM and there's not a hope I'll be cycling to/from the event either - that said, my legs were still strong cycling home yesterday from DCHM whereas the FD10 return leg was a real struggle.
    • My diet for the past 4 weeks has been 90% on track and has resulted in several Kgs of body mass being lost. If the trend continues over the next 5 weeks then a few more Kg should drop before race day.

Open to guidance/criticism/opinions.
    I've been avoiding responding to you because talking in km's wrecks my head :D

Your HM time and strong finish indicate that sub 4 is very much a possibility. The regular cycling should stand to you on the endurance side too. You're in wave 3 I take it? As you mentioned, drifting off the back of the 4 hour pacers over the opening miles is the best strategy - very much how you paced the HM. You might find it harder than you imagine to pick up the pace to the extent you mention after 20k, but a 2:01/02 first half seems about spot on.

saffron22 wrote: »
    Half Marathon : 1:56:53 July
    10k: 49.29 May
    5k: 23.35 August
    I think that 4:20 seems like a reasonable target based on those times. However, I'd be far more worried about your training paces. You are still banging out the majority of your miles at marathon pace, or faster. Slow down to at least 6:45/km for all easy and long runs. Continue as you are going and the legs will have nothing left to give come DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I got an email from them yesterday moving me up to Wave 2 but I applied the Monday after Charleville so maybe it takes them a little while to work through the requests.

Thanks for that, hopefully i do get an email soon , will be one less thing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

I've been avoiding responding to you because talking in km's wrecks my head :D

Your HM time and strong finish indicate that sub 4 is very much a possibility. The regular cycling should stand to you on the endurance side too. You're in wave 3 I take it? As you mentioned, drifting off the back of the 4 hour pacers over the opening miles is the best strategy - very much how you paced the HM. You might find it harder than you imagine to pick up the pace to the extent you mention after 20k, but a 2:01/02 first half seems about spot on.

I originally signed up for Wave 2 back last December but happy enough to drop back to wave 3 to follow the 4 hour pacers. I'd considered going at the very back of wave 2 but having the pacers in my sights in the DHCM worked really well for me. I agree with you about upping the pace late on, going to have to do some calculations and come back with a more realistic/conservative plan without giving myself too much work to do in the latter stages.

Happy to see the end of week 14. The legs are really looking forward to the recovery period over the next few days. Week 15 is the big one for those of us following the HHN1 program, my prediction for it...

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c1a4e2dfaa1274150e104b967c2d014b0c358e39&rid=giphy.gif

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see how it works out. I've been averaging 140 miles a month for the past 3 months

A lot will come down to how it goes on the day, my hamstring is still not 100%.

I did my LSR last night and it was a terrible decision.

After spending over 4hrs in a car, having no dinner and two beers I decided to go out and do the run at 730.

It lashed from start to finish, should've stopped as I was shivering and couldn't feel my legs.

I did it around housing estates which was another terrible idea, I was doing 180° turns every minute or so, could get absolutely no momentum.

The killer was during the last 3 miles I literally ran into a number of locked gates that stopped me in my tracks.

That route looked soul-destroying on strava - it seems even worse as you describe it there! Well done for seeing it through.

Mind that hamstring. We've another month before the big day to consider target times etc, and of course it's your race to run as you see fit, but I'm just not sure your aims of 3:30 and "happy with finishing injury free while enjoying it." are entirely compatible.

Treviso wrote: »
    Recent Race results:
    5k - 19.26
    HM - 1.33.39

My DCM target was always 3.30 and it remains the same. The way my training was gone, I'm quietly optimistic about it but have the same worries that I'm going into the unknown distance wise.
    I think you've every reason to be optimistic that 3:30 is achievable. You certainly couldn't have done much more in training. Charleville is a fast Half of course, but the day itself was warm with lots of people struggling, so I think that balances out. As you correctly say the distance is very much an unknown for you, but pace the race well and you'll give 3:30 a right good rattle.

really enjoyed the half marathon on Saturday, I mentioned earlier that I missed a good chunk (essentially one month) of my DCM training plan so was entering this with very few miles behind me

finished in 1.53 and felt fine, ran with a negative split finishing strongly

the plan now is to build up the mileage and get three solid long slow runs before DCM

I really have no idea where this leaves me 'pace-wise' for the DCM, I just want to enjoy the day anyway. will probably hang around the 4.10-4.20 pacers for the first half and see what I have left in the tank once I pass the half mark up around walkinstown roundabout!

well done to all who ran on sat and have stuck to their plans over the past few months, its a slog but will be worth it.
    Given that you missed so much time and where you've been mileage wise I think the best bet would be going with the 4:20 pacers as far as Walkinstown and seeing where you stand at that stage. It is a good sign that you finished strong in the HM.

At the start of this my target for DCM was sub 5 hours. But that’s clearly not realistic now so I have resigned myself to my new target of 5:35:00.
    I saw that your long run last night turned into a bit of a struggle - hope everything is ok? As Comic Book Guy mentioned, there is no need to think negatively of where you are at. You've made unreal progress in a year - be proud of that. You've completed two half marathons this year - there's not too many people around who have accomplished that. Forget about DCM times for now - just concentrate on getting to the start line in one piece - we'll worry about the finish line later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

saffron22 wrote: »
    Half Marathon : 1:56:53 July
    10k: 49.29 May
    5k: 23.35 August

Hi there. What kind of time are you thinking of? Maybe start at 4.30 pace given your injury troubles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

My plan all along has been sub 4, haven't changed but I won't be disappointed if I come in over that (just once it isn't a few seconds). As someone mentioned here before, I'll sit down on the side of the road somewhere and then finish in 4.05/4.10 :)

I'm in wave 2 so my plan is to head out towards the very back of wave 2 and do my own thing. I have plenty of hills in my LSR so hoping this will stand to me come the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

10k August - 40.54
    Dublin half Sept - 1.32.45

Signed up July 1st with initial aspiration of finishing marathon with added target of sub 4. You will have to trust me on this as I'm not on strava but at the minimum have completed the miles as per boards plan with a training pace equating to approx 3.45-50 marathon. I'm generally a couple or so miles over the plan in fact, due to commute running once or twice a week which i'll curtail come the taper. I cycle to work the other days.

Above times are the only 2 races I have done this year with that been my first attempt at a half marathon too. I'm lacking a bit of experience at the longer distances, although my LSR's have been mostly positive runs. Interestingly enough any of my "stinky" runs have come at shorter distances for whatever reason.
    Everything went right with both those races on the day's and ran a negative split in both despite both times thinking I may have gone out too fast at half way points. I was delighted with how those races went in the end, but has me in a pickle now thinking that 3.30 is now within reach. I'm in wave 2 so have a bit of choice in terms of pacers and prior to my half time would have targeted running with 3.40 pacers. I suppose, I'm asking should I stick there or go with the 3.30 guys?

P.S. I planned to follow 1.40 pacers in the half and did for a mile max but felt really boxed in, so got out ahead of them and ran my own race. That tactic worked that time but not so sure about the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

Haven't been following the plan here but just want to ask a bit of advice without starting a new thread if that's ok.

Dublin will be my first marathon, have done a few races before.
    Have run one 4 mile (23.40), one 5 mile race (29.30), and 2 Half's this year (1.27.xx in cork in June and 1.26.xx in a very hilly east cork in August).
    Training going well the last month or so, today was my longest LSR at 22 mike's at 7.40/mile and felt very comfortable at that.

Any idea what I should aim for?! I'm terrible at pacing myself in races so unless I go off with a pacer group and stick with it I'll be all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TillyDcm

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hi there - I'd be inclined towards the 4:50 pacers but how has your training gone to date? I don't think you're on Strava.

Thank you Huzzah!
    Training has been going quite well. I'm not on Strava, but I have completed all runs on the plan to date. My LSR this weekend was 14 miles @ avg. 11:30/mile. Next weekend I will complete my 20 mile long run in Longwood at the three quarter marathon, so hopefully I will be able to keep the pace under control!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

omicron wrote: »
    Haven't been following the plan here but just want to ask a bit of advice without starting a new thread if that's ok.

Have run one 4 mile (23.40), one 5 mile race (29.30), and 2 Half's this year (1.27.xx in cork in June and 1.26.xx in a very hilly east cork in August).
    Training going well the last month or so, today was my longest LSR at 22 mike's at 7.40/mile and felt very comfortable at that.

Any idea what I should aim for?! I'm terrible at pacing myself in races so unless I go off with a pacer group and stick with it I'll be all over the place.

Theres a random running questions thread in this forum that it might be better asking there. A lot of experienced runners will give you advice. You'll probably be looking at 3.10 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

10k August - 40.54
    Dublin half Sept - 1.32.45

Signed up July 1st with initial aspiration of finishing marathon with added target of sub 4. You will have to trust me on this as I'm not on strava but at the minimum have completed the miles as per boards plan with a training pace equating to approx 3.45-50 marathon. I'm generally a couple or so miles over the plan in fact, due to commute running once or twice a week which i'll curtail come the taper. I cycle to work the other days.

Above times are the only 2 races I have done this year with that been my first attempt at a half marathon too. I'm lacking a bit of experience at the longer distances, although my LSR's have been mostly positive runs. Interestingly enough any of my "stinky" runs have come at shorter distances for whatever reason.
    Everything went right with both those races on the day's and ran a negative split in both despite both times thinking I may have gone out too fast at half way points. I was delighted with how those races went in the end, but has me in a pickle now thinking that 3.30 is now within reach. I'm in wave 2 so have a bit of choice in terms of pacers and prior to my half time would have targeted running with 3.40 pacers. I suppose, I'm asking should I stick there or go with the 3.30 guys?

P.S. I planned to follow 1.40 pacers in the half and did for a mile max but felt really boxed in, so got out ahead of them and ran my own race. That tactic worked that time but not so sure about the big one.
    omicron wrote: »

Great times there for both of you. In all honesty it is next to impossible to accurately guesstimate a target time without having a fuller picture of training and background. Assuming you have both a good base over time and a good block of marathon training then a good stab could be made at 'potential' times. I'd be looking at 3:15/3:20 for Lambay Island and 3:05/3:10 for omicron. These would be if everything was perfect both on the day and in training. It's also possible ye could go out at this pace and blow a gasket at 20 miles!

Omicron, I'd slow down those training runs. I know a few lads running about 80 mins for a half who post on here who don't do easy or long runs at that pace.

You could both benefit from popping your questions up on the marathon improvers thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great times there for both of you. In all honesty it is next to impossible to accurately guesstimate a target time without having a fuller picture of training and background. Assuming you have both a good base over time and a good block of marathon training then a good stab could be made at 'potential' times. I'd be looking at 3:15/3:20 for Lambay Island and 3:05/3:10 for omicron. These would be if everything was perfect both on the day and in training. It's also possible ye could go out at this pace and blow a gasket at 20 miles!

Omicron, I'd slow down those training runs. I know a few lads running about 80 mins for a half who post on here who don't do easy or long runs at that pace.

You could both benefit from popping your questions up on the marathon improvers thread.

Thanks. We'll see how the last few weeks go, I was thinking 3.10 but don't want to blow up after 20 miles in my first marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Last week:

Tuesday 5km 30:59
    Wednesday 12km 1:09:33
    Thursday 7km 44:48
    Saturday 25km 2:50:32

Might do the 3 mid weeks runs between tomorrow evening and Wednesday instead of Tuesday to Thursday, to give me a 2 day rest before LSR Saturday, would that be ok?

Only started feeling myself again late this afternoon after the run yesterday, was in bed most of today!! I'm conscious to watch the recovery and get the hydration & diet spot on this week.

WEEK 15 PREVIEW - 4 WEEKS TO GO :)

Lots of tired minds and bodies out there this week. This is perfectly normal at this stage of the plans - although obviously if you suspect it may be something more than just general fatigue then do get yourself checked out. We'll all have one or two shocking runs during a block of training. Don't over-analyse these - they happen EVERYONE.

It was very pleasing to see that most of you have reasonable expectations for potential marathon times, and hopefully those of you that we identified as being a tad ambitious will take note of our advice. I just wanted to get talk of target times nailed down before taper madness kicks in and you either start doubting everything, or feel invincible and make rash decisions - remember what was advised in the calm of last week :).

With target times now locked in, spend the next week making sure that your other plans around DCM are in place:
    - Travelling from outside Dublin? Transport/Accommodation sorted? Remember - you will need to collect your number from the Expo on the Fri/Sat.
    - Race day kit sorted? Wear it on this weekends long run.
    - Throwaway clothes identified?
    - Pre-race breakfast and meals the day before sorted? Practice this weekend!
    - Race day fueling sorted? Practice on this weekends long run.
    - Location of McGrattan's saved to your phone? :pac:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|5m easy|10m easy|5m easy|rest|20m LSR|cross
    Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u, 5m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|rest, cross or 3m rec|18m LSR|3m rec

This is a landmark week for those of you following the HHN1 Plan! Not too long ago 10 miles was an LSR - now it's a midweek run :eek:! Don't overlook that one - prepare well, pace appropriately and recover well. The 20 miler will be no bother to you and completing it will give a huge psychological boost. We've been building to it for the past 14 weeks - you've got this!

I know some of you intend to take part in 3/4 marathons in Longwood and elsewhere next weekend. These are intended to be treated as Long Slow Runs - DO NOT race them. DO NOT run them at PMP. Anything more than easy pace and you will be leaving your marathon behind you next weekend. Run them as an LSR :)

Homework
    - How was week 14 for you?
    - Are you looking forward to the taper? :cool:

Good luck this week guys - One more big effort and it's Taper Time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Week 14 was good for me. I'm feeling better and sleeping better. The 20mile on Sat was tough, as I mentioned in log, compared to the last time I did 20 miles, my motivation, pre and post run routine hasn't changed, it has gotten darker but that is it. So it wasnt a lack of prep. However, this was different to my last 20m. I felt strange afterwards. Not sore, sad, happy, disappointed. Just nothing. Not even tired. Went for hot chocolate and a scone, showered and hit the bed not to wake for another 3hrs. I then slept like a log the next day too. Only after the scone and hot choc did I feel like a human being again.

I'm needing more time to recover. Which is a big clue my body is giving me as we move into the final weeks. I'm currently getting 8hrs sleep most nights so going to try get 9. Will be tough.

I don't know how to feel about the taper. I mean, we are saying it starts next week, but looking at the week above, it feels like for the boards group it starts now.

Part of me feels tired and sometimes I look at the weeks ahead and think "I just want to get it done now. let's phone up KBC and say we'll do it this weekend" but when I look again and I see the numbers going down I get scared and think 'I'm not ready to face it yet. Let's call up KBC and say we need an extension!' :pac:

The taper monster is tapping on my door, I'm putting the double lock on though so we'll see how long it takes him to get through that.

For us 3/4 marathon people, so long as we run it LSR pace are we okay to go over the 18m or should we compensate for that elsewhere in the week?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

How was week 14 for you?

Week 14 hasn't been my best. Still running too fast for all my training runs, and this came home to roost on my lsr. 14 miles was on the plan but I listened to other 'experts' (my husband being one) who reckoned I should really do 18 miles this week, so I said ok, I'll give it a go. Having lined up company for the first time since beginning my training I thought it might be ok, that we would be too busy chatting to run fast, however, we were as bad as each other and kept finding ourselves running far too fast for an lsr. By mile 16 a stitch like cramp radiating from my diaphragm up towards my shoulder blades literally stopped me in my tracks and I shuffled the last mile back to the car.

Truthfully I found the second half of the run very difficult and really do question the sense in someone like me running a marathon. I feel very foolish at even attempting this and really I'm not fit enough to successfully complete this. So while I really want to throw in the towel and bow out, I know my paces are all wrong and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. I seem to only have one speed and don't have the strength to carry it over 26 miles, so I am revising my target time back to my original time of anything within 5 hours, 4.45 being a bonus, and giving myself permission to run/walk from 20 miles so that I can manage to cross the line on two feet and not as a dnf.

- Are you looking forward to the taper?
    Yes I cannot wait for the shorter runs again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

How was week 14 for you?

Tiring. It took till midweek for the body to get back to (somewhat) normal after the DCHM. Between the mental and physical fatigue, there just wasn't much oomph in my runs but they were completed and at an appropriate pace so that's all that matters. I opted for a more scenic route on my LSR as I knew it had the potential to be a mind melt due to fatigue. Next week I'm going to cover a large part of the DCM route on the 32Km LSR and then I'll probably opt for more scenic routes throughout the taper to stave off any boredom in the final weeks.
    Are you looking forward to the taper?

Very unsure how to feel about it. The mini tapers prior to the races have been refreshing so kind of looking forward to a longer stretch of feeling energised. I keep hearing/reading about maranoia and given it's my first marathon it has me feeling a little anxious about what to expect. I don't like surprises so advice around this would be great so that I can plan for all/most eventualities.

Since the program began, I've been ticking off the days in the spreadsheet by changing the cell colour for each completed day. It seemed rather daunting and slow at the beginning but the spreadsheet for my training plan is almost entirely one colour now given we've completed so many days. This has kept me focused up until this point and I'm hoping that it will continue to do so during the taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Sorbet

Week 14 wasn't my best. Missed two mid week runs due to work commitments. Determined not to let that happen again. LSR went well but last 7/8k were a grind and was running slower than PMP. Makes me rethink my target. I really want to run strong to the finish even if it's slower overall if that makes sense. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lazare

3boyz wrote: »
    How was week 14 for you?

Week 14 hasn't been my best. Still running too fast for all my training runs, and this came home to roost on my lsr. 14 miles was on the plan but I listened to other 'experts' (my husband being one) who reckoned I should really do 18 miles this week, so I said ok, I'll give it a go. Having lined up company for the first time since beginning my training I thought it might be ok, that we would be too busy chatting to run fast, however, we were as bad as each other and kept finding ourselves running far too fast for an lsr. By mile 16 a stitch like cramp radiating from my diaphragm up towards my shoulder blades literally stopped me in my tracks and I shuffled the last mile back to the car.

Truthfully I found the second half of the run very difficult and really do question the sense in someone like me running a marathon. I feel very foolish at even attempting this and really I'm not fit enough to successfully complete this. So while I really want to throw in the towel and bow out, I know my paces are all wrong and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. I seem to only have one speed and don't have the strength to carry it over 26 miles, so I am revising my target time back to my original time of anything within 5 hours, 4.45 being a bonus, and giving myself permission to run/walk from 20 miles so that I can manage to cross the line on two feet and not as a dnf.

Yes I cannot wait for the shorter runs again!!

How you're feeling right now is totally bang on normal. In fact it's good to feel how tough it is. Training for a marathon is incredibly tough.

It's why almost nobody does it. You're doing it. You're gonna cross that finish line and get that medal hung over your neck.

Weeks like this one are the reason that feeling is so euphoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Lazare wrote: »
    How you're feeling right now is totally bang on normal. In fact it's good to feel how tough it is. Training for a marathon is incredibly tough.

It's why almost nobody does it. You're doing it. You're gonna cross that finish line and get that medal hung over your neck.

Weeks like this one are the reason that feeling is so euphoric.

Thank you, hopefully that will be the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

How was week 14 for you?

Grand, yeah. My runs were nice and easy. My 12 mile LSR was a lovely bonus as I could stay in bed until 7am (what a treat!) and just go from my house. The last few weeks I've been getting up at 5.30am and driving the few miles into Kilkenny so I could do the first few miles on the ring road, under the streetlights, before heading out the Dublin road as the sun was rising. All so I could be home at a reasonable time and get on with the regular family weekend things (taxiing here and there!)

Yes, the dark mornings and evenings have added an extra logistical layer I could do without. The shorter runs will make everything easier (I hope!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Week 14 started out tough. I didn’t feel great especially during the 7 miler. Longest run ever I really could not wait for it to be over. Felt awful the rest of the day got a good nights sleep and took the next day off. The LSR on Saturday was like a new lease on life. It really showed me not to give up hope. We will all have bad days but good ones are around the bend. We’ve come this far so better keep going :) this week will be tricky. I won’t be able to run tomorrow (unless my kids who have a random day off from school don’t mind cycling/scooting around the park while I do 5 miles of laps!!) and I really like to run
    M T W rest Th and LSR Friday. I might have to do 5 Tues 10 Wed 5 Thurs 20 fri although I know I should probably take Thursday as a rest day before the LSR? So maybe could do the 5 on Sunday? I am getting really OCD about the mileage and haven’t missed a run yet so keen to fit that second 5 miler in somewhere...

Feeling ok about the taper. And also cannot believe we are nearly at taper time already. Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

- How was week 14 for you?
    Went well. As per advice given I switched from Boards plan to HHN1 this week following return from injury. I was really happy with my 4 easy runs. Legs did feel tired by the forth one.

A 14 mile LSR was on the HH plan. As I missed 4 sizeable LSR's whilst out injured I decided to push this to 16. 16miles was where I was before injury and psychologically I needed to get back to that. 2nd reason, I was a little concerned about the jump from 14 to 20 miles this week.

I managed the 16miles fine thankfully. I ran the last few miles a little too fast though.

I am looking forward to winding back on the miles. I'm also starting to get excited for the big day. For a while I really thought I was out of the running. Just need to keep on track and get there uninjured....

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Week 14 was good for me. I'm feeling better and sleeping better. The 20mile on Sat was tough, as I mentioned in log, compared to the last time I did 20 miles, my motivation, pre and post run routine hasn't changed, it has gotten darker but that is it. So it wasnt a lack of prep. However, this was different to my last 20m. I felt strange afterwards. Not sore, sad, happy, disappointed. Just nothing. Not even tired. Went for hot chocolate and a scone, showered and hit the bed not to wake for another 3hrs. I then slept like a log the next day too. Only after the scone and hot choc did I feel like a human being again.

I'm needing more time to recover. Which is a big clue my body is giving me as we move into the final weeks. I'm currently getting 8hrs sleep most nights so going to try get 9. Will be tough.

I don't know how to feel about the taper. I mean, we are saying it starts next week, but looking at the week above, it feels like for the boards group it starts now.

Part of me feels tired and sometimes I look at the weeks ahead and think "I just want to get it done now. let's phone up KBC and say we'll do it this weekend" but when I look again and I see the numbers going down I get scared and think 'I'm not ready to face it yet. Let's call up KBC and say we need an extension!' :pac:

The taper monster is tapping on my door, I'm putting the double lock on though so we'll see how long it takes him to get through that.

For us 3/4 marathon people, so long as we run it LSR pace are we okay to go over the 18m or should we compensate for that elsewhere in the week?

Thank you!

18 weeks is a long old slog - it's darker and colder too now which doesn't help matters. Sometimes it's just about getting a run done and ticking the box - the novelty and euphoria of running big LSR's has worn off and cumulative fatigue is at it's peak around now. The training is very much a mental as well as physical challenge - it prepares you for the marathon. You WILL be ready come October 27th. In 4 weeks you will be a marathoner :)

You are right that last week was the highest mileage week on the Boards plan, but this week sees the return of PMP miles, so the overall effort for the week will be comparable to last week. Sorry - no taper just yet :pac:

I don't think there is any need to adjust the rest of the week to account for the 3/4 marathon. If your 3/4 is on Sunday, maybe knock a mile off the Tuesday run the following week if you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Hi. Well done to all for the great times posted in DCMHM!
    Did 18 mile LSR @11.02/mile avg.Friday 20th, had a post run massage which really helped and no tummy issues on run, such a relief. Danced for hours at a party next night and Salsa the next afternoon, all a bit bonkers really. Ran 6 Tuesday, slow 7 on Wednesday and a fast 4(for me) on Thursday. Rested Friday (except for gentle yoga class) and Saturday. Porridge and banana for breakfast Sunday, later than planned. Wore marathon gear, did 20 miles @ 11/mile avg. Did have to stop for "comfort" break. Finding fueling a problem. Carried 300ml of dilute zero tab and 3 power blocks and a boiled salted potato which tasted so good. Had met a lady heading to Berlin for her 126th marathon, 68 years young who emphasized what has been repeated here about not going out too fast and conserving energy. She told me about taking a boiled,skinless potato! Finished the run which should have been 18 stronger than last week but knees not very happy. No massage today, had an icecream instead.
    Taking it easy this week, 10miles max LSR and 5mx2 as have cross country run next Sunday.
    Initial marathon finish time estimate 4.45 but probably more realistically 5hrs. Hope knees hold out.

Advertisement