Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

akenno wrote: »
    My plan all along has been sub 4, haven't changed but I won't be disappointed if I come in over that (just once it isn't a few seconds). As someone mentioned here before, I'll sit down on the side of the road somewhere and then finish in 4.05/4.10 :)

I'm in wave 2 so my plan is to head out towards the very back of wave 2 and do my own thing. I have plenty of hills in my LSR so hoping this will stand to me come the big day.
    Based on your Wexford Half time a sub 4 is very much a possibility for you. Hanging out at the back of wave 2 is a fine strategy - just as long as you have the discipline to keep the paces in check in those early miles.

In the meantime - slow down your midweek runs. Keep them closer to the pace of your LSR - although given that the LSR is on a hilly route, maybe that could be a touch slower too. Don't flog yourself on EVERY training run.
    10k August - 40.54
    Dublin half Sept - 1.32.45

Signed up July 1st with initial aspiration of finishing marathon with added target of sub 4. You will have to trust me on this as I'm not on strava but at the minimum have completed the miles as per boards plan with a training pace equating to approx 3.45-50 marathon. I'm generally a couple or so miles over the plan in fact, due to commute running once or twice a week which i'll curtail come the taper. I cycle to work the other days.

Above times are the only 2 races I have done this year with that been my first attempt at a half marathon too. I'm lacking a bit of experience at the longer distances, although my LSR's have been mostly positive runs. Interestingly enough any of my "stinky" runs have come at shorter distances for whatever reason.
    Everything went right with both those races on the day's and ran a negative split in both despite both times thinking I may have gone out too fast at half way points. I was delighted with how those races went in the end, but has me in a pickle now thinking that 3.30 is now within reach. I'm in wave 2 so have a bit of choice in terms of pacers and prior to my half time would have targeted running with 3.40 pacers. I suppose, I'm asking should I stick there or go with the 3.30 guys?

P.S. I planned to follow 1.40 pacers in the half and did for a mile max but felt really boxed in, so got out ahead of them and ran my own race. That tactic worked that time but not so sure about the big one.
    Your HM time indicates that 3:30 is very much within reach. Given that you had very little running before beginning this plan, and that you have limited race experience, I wouldn't be inclined to push for much more than 3:30 on this occasion.

Regardless of whether you follow pacers or not, you are going to feel pretty boxed in for the first couple of miles of DCM. It will open out a touch eventually.

py wrote: »
    Tiring. It took till midweek for the body to get back to (somewhat) normal after the DCHM. Between the mental and physical fatigue, there just wasn't much oomph in my runs but they were completed and at an appropriate pace so that's all that matters. I opted for a more scenic route on my LSR as I knew it had the potential to be a mind melt due to fatigue. Next week I'm going to cover a large part of the DCM route on the 32Km LSR and then I'll probably opt for more scenic routes throughout the taper to stave off any boredom in the final weeks.
    I was exactly the same in the early part of last week - a lack of oomph as you describe it. It's to be expected at this stage, particularly on the back of a race.

Funnily enough, I also changed up my LSR route this week and found I really enjoyed it. It wasn't something I did out of boredom, but now that you mention it, it's a valid point. If we're running the same roads week in, week out it can become very repetitive - a change in that regard can help.
    Very unsure how to feel about it. The mini tapers prior to the races have been refreshing so kind of looking forward to a longer stretch of feeling energised. I keep hearing/reading about maranoia and given it's my first marathon it has me feeling a little anxious about what to expect. I don't like surprises so advice around this would be great so that I can plan for all/most eventualities.

Since the program began, I've been ticking off the days in the spreadsheet by changing the cell colour for each completed day. It seemed rather daunting and slow at the beginning but the spreadsheet for my training plan is almost entirely one colour now given we've completed so many days. This has kept me focused up until this point and I'm hoping that it will continue to do so during the taper.
    For me the taper involved me just being a moody, contrary boll*x - or so I'm told :eek:

Aside from that it was just doubting everything really - similar to Bananaleaf mentioned. Questioning if you're ready, doubting your target times, wondering if you've over-trained, wondering if you've under-trained, etc, etc, etc... :pac: It's a blast!

rizzee wrote: »
    Last week:

Tuesday 5km 30:59
    Wednesday 12km 1:09:33
    Thursday 7km 44:48
    Saturday 25km 2:50:32

Might do the 3 mid weeks runs between tomorrow evening and Wednesday instead of Tuesday to Thursday, to give me a 2 day rest before LSR Saturday, would that be ok?

Only started feeling myself again late this afternoon after the run yesterday, was in bed most of today!! I'm conscious to watch the recovery and get the hydration & diet spot on this week.
    Yeah that's fine if you feel it better to organise your week in that fashion - although by the sounds of it maybe you need the extra day recovery on Monday more than the extra days rest on Thursday?

Doc76 wrote: »
    Week 14 started out tough. I didn’t feel great especially during the 7 miler. Longest run ever I really could not wait for it to be over. Felt awful the rest of the day got a good nights sleep and took the next day off. The LSR on Saturday was like a new lease on life. It really showed me not to give up hope. We will all have bad days but good ones are around the bend. We’ve come this far so better keep going :) this week will be tricky. I won’t be able to run tomorrow (unless my kids who have a random day off from school don’t mind cycling/scooting around the park while I do 5 miles of laps!!) and I really like to run
    M T W rest Th and LSR Friday. I might have to do 5 Tues 10 Wed 5 Thurs 20 fri although I know I should probably take Thursday as a rest day before the LSR? So maybe could do the 5 on Sunday? I am getting really OCD about the mileage and haven’t missed a run yet so keen to fit that second 5 miler in somewhere...

Feeling ok about the taper. And also cannot believe we are nearly at taper time already. Eek!
    I'd rather leave at least two clear days between the 10 and 20 milers, so how about 10 Tues, 5 Weds, Rest Thurs, 20 Fri, Rest Sat, 5 Sun? No issue with moving the 5 easy to Sunday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

It was a mixed week. My training days had to be rescheduled due to work.

Monday 4 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Monday 4 miles 11.54
    Thursday 3 miles 12.07
    Friday 7 miles 12.05
    Sunday 14 miles 11.53

On Friday, I just felt awful. I was rushing around after the run and didn't stretch enough, only explanation. Was having serious doubts. Made good use of the foam roller etc

Sunday, I went out and felt really strong. Eventhough the mileage was higher, I didn't ache and felt great. Even managed to go for a short walk in the afternoon

This coming week is going to be tough. I am fairly nervous and hope I will be able to complete all the runs as planned. I nearly feel I could do with an extra days rest before the 20 miler on Saturday. I am going to reassess this after my 10 miles on Wednesday and see how I feel.

I can't wait for taper, I have been counting down the weeks to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

How was Week 14?
    Pleasantly surprised early in the week at how fresh I was feeling. Bounced around the 8 miles on Tuesday. Had a late night Friday and found the 20mi on Saturday tiring. Took the scenic route which is tougher anyway and just let myself slow down whenever the effort felt it was creeping up. It was warmer than I expected too so regretted wearing a double layer long sleeve top! Plenty of aches and pains but nothing injury like, fueling feels like it’s working and the aqua gels sit well in my stomach. Put a couple of high5 tabs in the hydration pack and didn’t feel as bad later in the evening as I sometimes do.
    Pleasantly surprised yesterday when I felt grand doing the recovery, no niggles at all.
    Weight down 5 pounds this week. That was unexpected. Although I probably did eat a good bit better this week.

Are you looking forward to the taper?
    Yes and no! It’ll be nice to start cutting back the time spent training, but there’ll be all the worries about picking up a cold or a niggle and wondering if the fitness is really built up enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Based on your Wexford Half time a sub 4 is very much a possibility for you. Hanging out at the back of wave 2 is a fine strategy - just as long as you have the discipline to keep the paces in check in those early miles.

In the meantime - slow down your midweek runs. Keep them closer to the pace of your LSR - although given that the LSR is on a hilly route, maybe that could be a touch slower too. Don't flog yourself on EVERY training run.

Your HM time indicates that 3:30 is very much within reach. Given that you had very little running before beginning this plan, and that you have limited race experience, I wouldn't be inclined to push for much more than 3:30 on this occasion.

Regardless of whether you follow pacers or not, you are going to feel pretty boxed in for the first couple of miles of DCM. It will open out a touch eventually.

Thanks for the reassurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

How was Week 14?
    I enjoyed it - after the HM, I wasn't sure I would.

Monday - 3 miles @ 11:23
    Tuesday - 7 miles @ 12:07
    Thursday - 4 miles @ 11:14
    Saturday - 18 miles @ 11:40

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

- How was week 14 for you?
    Good apart from more issues with the calf. Took the Weds off to try let it recover which seems to have done the trick

so

Tues 9k at 5:21 pace
    Thurs 9.4k at 5:50 pace
    Sunday 19.2k at 5:47 pace

2nd 20 Miler is this weekend and then into the Taper.

This week will be a tough one I reckon but i'll get to bed early and eat well and hopefully that will help.

- Are you looking forward to the taper?
    Totally looking forward to having the weekends a bit freer. However I'll no doubt be worrying I should be doing more. Not long to go no. I originally wanted to try go sub 4 (this is no longer a realistic goal) I'm now aiming for 4:15 and I will be very happy if I get that. Main thing is now that the 4 hour goal is gone I'm just going to relax and enjoy the day. There is always next year to train for better times.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Week 14:

Tuesday 11.5km Farlek session with warm up & cool down included.
    Wednesday 9.5km 6.32/km pace
    Friday 6km 6.30/km pace
    Sunday 32km 6.42/km pace

A little apprehensive that I will prob feel like I should be doing more. but trusting that legs will be full of life come 4 weeks time with the taper! One more big week of training before a noticeable step back in sessions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

How was week 14 for you?

I've been tired and a bit low all week. My legs have been zapped since the LSR on the 14th of September and haven't really felt quite right since then. I persevered through 2 of the mid week runs but couldn't bring myself to do the third.

I went to Run Hub on Aungier Street and got the gait analysis done and it turns out I need more support as I over pronate. Not ideal getting a brand new set of runners with a month until the big day. Legs were still pretty tired on Saturday so decided to rest them an extra day and run yesterday instead. MUCH happier. Felt great and what's even better... My legs feel fantastic today so I'm delighted I sorted this out and a pity I didn't do it sooner!

Eh YEAH! Haha - people keep giving me advice on "taper madness" but I don't think I'll have a problem with resting and relaxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Homework
    - Are you looking forward to the taper? :cool:

Week 14 was peak week for me, had psyched myself up for it and now I'm ready to taper, woo! (peak because of rejigging Boards plan to accommodate Charleville HM - Mentor approved™)
    LSR was great, measured it wrong and ended up a bit over 21 miles, no harm from a psychological point of view but I could hear the frowning from the internet :p
    HR stayed nice and low all the way. Followed my fueling strategy of water, 2 x gels & lucozade sport. Pretty confident I did kidney damage though looking for a break spot on the greenway, waaay to many people out walking / running :o
    (I've reviewed the DCM route since and the loos look frequent enough not to have me running crossed legged again...)
    Only 18 miles LSR this week, easy peasy! ;)
    Bring on the taper! Also have McGrattans saved with ages, must decide on my first drink - visualisation is a key marathon success driver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Morning all. I think we are all having ups and downs, physically and mentally. And probably very normal, given D day is only a few weeks away. I still have loads of things to sort out. I don't know how i'm getting to Dublin yet for the morning of the marathon, there are no buses that early. I will be planting bottles of electrolyte drinks with my family and friends on the course. I am also deliberating ordering some new gear, i'm not 100% happy with some items. Breaking in new runners and they are so springy. I'm happy with my gels. Tried a caffeine one for the craic on Saturday and I didn't like it at all. I have started to go to bed as early as possible, I was in bed with a book at 10:30 on Saturday night! I was tired after the run and an afternoon of housework.

I'm very nervous about Longwood. Who else is doing it?

It was good. I got the runs in, as usual fitting them in my way, with work, travel, kids etc. I hit 31.5 miles this week, which I am happy with. Also did a few strength sessions in the gym. There isn't a bother on me, apart from a dodgy knee. I am seeing the physio later this afternoon so i'll report back and let you know what he says.

Yes! It's getting chilly out now and the gloves will be out again soon! I have Raynaud's, so i'll probably be wearing gloves for the marathon.

I'm mostly looking forward to the big event now, once I sort out my knee. My family are all excited too, which is nice. My Mum was on the phone to her sister in law the other day and I overheard her saying: "We'll get this marathon behind us and then we will arrange lunch." Gas. London ballot results are out on Monday 7th October!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hi All :)

A month to go now... I can't quite believe it !

How was week 14 for you?

Mentally just not arsed. I had a lot on in work, and I let that get in the way. I did a number of smaller runs in the week to try and make up the miles, and in the end I did cover 28 miles over the week. But can't say I enjoyed any of them.

Tues - 1.5 miles
    Wed - 4 miles
    Fri 2.6 miles
    Sat - 14 miles
    Sun - 4 miles

I am, and I am not... getting nervous now about if I have done enough. But glad that the load lightens over the next few weeks

Questions --
    Has anyone else experienced a burning on the sole of their foot? I've been getting this intermittently (on one foot only), going to a physio this week, googling it comes up with an array of options :D So wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it may be. It happens one one foot (the left), and seems to come and go - sometimes running (not all the run), and then sometimes when I'm sitting etc.

In terms of times for the Marathon, just wondering if the mentors have advice of a time to aim for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

London ballot results are out on Monday 7th October!

Information about Comrades is out on Wednesday, who's in? :pac::pac: Flights aren't that expensive and it's a "DOWN" year. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Information about Comrades is out on Wednesday, who's in? :pac::pac: Flights aren't that expensive and it's a "DOWN" year. :p

I had to google that, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comrades_Marathon)
    You can feck right off is what you can do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

3boyz wrote: »

Truthfully I found the second half of the run very difficult and really do question the sense in someone like me running a marathon. I feel very foolish at even attempting this and really I'm not fit enough to successfully complete this. So while I really want to throw in the towel and bow out, I know my paces are all wrong and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. I seem to only have one speed and don't have the strength to carry it over 26 miles, so I am revising my target time back to my original time of anything within 5 hours, 4.45 being a bonus, and giving myself permission to run/walk from 20 miles so that I can manage to cross the line on two feet and not as a dnf.

Just on this, not sure what others may think but just wanted to throw out a suggestion. Mentors, feel free to step in if you disagree.

As I mentioned nearer the top of the thread, I've been reading Lore of Running by Tim Noakes, which is really comprehensive and detailed about all aspects of marathoning. He is a big fan of a run/walk strategy for less experienced runners and even suggests that you may get a better time using a run/walk strategy from the start (e.g. 10 mins running, 1 min walking) rather than trying to run until your body gives out and only starting to walk after 20 miles.

If you're having doubts to the extent that you're already considering walking in the marathon, it may be worth thinking about doing walk/run as your pacing plan for the day. That way, you may be able to stay at a more even pace, go easier on your body and hopefully even enjoy the day without blowing up at 20 miles. Walking early as part of a plan must be preferable to hobbling on shot legs when you still have six miles to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

looking for advice my longest run has been 24km had to take last week off after 16km that was supposed to be 28km on sunday
    had so much pain and stiffness i wasnt running but shuffling.
    Managed 10km on saturday with a bit of knee pain but back running rather than shuffling

Should i try and get 32Km this weekend and then taper or just go for approx 21-24km

not bothered really about time finishing marathon just want to finish in decent shape

thanks all advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

How was Week 14?
    Surprisingly comfortable.
    Mon 4 miles (10:10p/m)
    Tues 8 miles (10:15p/m)
    Thur 5 miles (10:19p/m)
    Sat 20 miles (10:34p/m)
    Sun 3 miles (10:58p/m)
    Runs on Tues, Thurs, and Sat I ran early miles a few secs slower per mile, and took a few secs off pace as I went on, felt very easy. 20 miles on sat I felt went very well, I thought it flew, prob because I was listening to the rugby on it. Felt fine after, like there was still plenty in the tank. Maybe my tougher weeks/runs are waiting in the long grass ahead.
    Very much so, (hoping I have) more time to do other things that have been neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Just got confirmation i've been moved up to wave 3! Happy with that :D

How was week 14?

I found it ok tbh, challenging but i enjoyed that part of it.

Am i looking forward to the taper?

Yes & no...i love the structure of the plan & have a feeling i may feel a bit lost but also looking forward to a bit more of a rest. Its all completely new territory so if i being honest i dont really know what to expect:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

How was week 14 for you?

Probably the toughest week so far. I was tired from the HM when I ran Wednesdays session and although I got through it okay, I struggled a bit more than the previous 10@MP two weeks before.

Sunday was a struggle at times as well, particularly around Milltown and Clonskeagh. First time since week 2 that I've had negative thoughts during a run, but it felt good to get to the top of Roebuck and then be able to push on for the last 0.5 mile of 22 to the DCM finish line.

Visited the physio today. Nothing much to report, just some general tightness, but at this stage of training, I'd prefer to get any hint of a niggle looked at before it becomes something more. Also booked in for the Wednesday before the marathon to get one last punishment session in.

Definitely looking forward to the beginning of the taper madness. My plan doesn't start taper until after next Wednesday's session, so I'll be jealously listening to others while attempting 14mi @ MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

TillyDcm wrote: »
    Thank you Huzzah!
    Training has been going quite well. I'm not on Strava, but I have completed all runs on the plan to date. My LSR this weekend was 14 miles @ avg. 11:30/mile. Next weekend I will complete my 20 mile long run in Longwood at the three quarter marathon, so hopefully I will be able to keep the pace under control!

Great that you've managed all the runs. I'd lean towards 4:50 for the big day. Good luck in Longwood. Don't forget to let us know how you got on.

3boyz wrote: »
    How was week 14 for you?

Week 14 hasn't been my best. Still running too fast for all my training runs, and this came home to roost on my lsr. 14 miles was on the plan but I listened to other 'experts' (my husband being one) who reckoned I should really do 18 miles this week, so I said ok, I'll give it a go. Having lined up company for the first time since beginning my training I thought it might be ok, that we would be too busy chatting to run fast, however, we were as bad as each other and kept finding ourselves running far too fast for an lsr. By mile 16 a stitch like cramp radiating from my diaphragm up towards my shoulder blades literally stopped me in my tracks and I shuffled the last mile back to the car.

Truthfully I found the second half of the run very difficult and really do question the sense in someone like me running a marathon. I feel very foolish at even attempting this and really I'm not fit enough to successfully complete this. So while I really want to throw in the towel and bow out, I know my paces are all wrong and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. I seem to only have one speed and don't have the strength to carry it over 26 miles, so I am revising my target time back to my original time of anything within 5 hours, 4.45 being a bonus, and giving myself permission to run/walk from 20 miles so that I can manage to cross the line on two feet and not as a dnf.

Yes I cannot wait for the shorter runs again!!

We all have bad runs and you learn more from them than the good ones. Try and not let it get you down. Do try and slow down the runs if you can. As you get fresher, there's a risk you'll start to speed up even more and we don't want that.

And you know what: there is nothing wrong with having just finishing as a goal. It's the right goal to have for your first. I think you might surprise yourself, though.
    Sorbet wrote: »
    Week 14 wasn't my best. Missed two mid week runs due to work commitments. Determined not to let that happen again. LSR went well but last 7/8k were a grind and was running slower than PMP. Makes me rethink my target. I really want to run strong to the finish even if it's slower overall if that makes sense. Food for thought.

18 weeks is a long time for real life not to interfere with running plans, so don't worry too much about the missed runs.

20 mile LSRs are not supposed to be easy, so don't worry that it was a bit of a grind. It's to be expected so close to last week's race too.

Have a think about your goal especially during the remaining PMP runs but try not overthink it either.

I

For me the taper involved me just being a moody, contrary boll*x - or so I'm told :eek:

Yisser have been warned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Week 14 started off feeling a little down and doubting myself after the HM. Also the hubby went away golfing to Portugal so been trying to work around single parenting duties too. Not quite sure when but during the week I definitely got more zen and positive about everything. I felt really grateful that I had had a tough race at the half as it gave me perspective on what I want to achieve at the marathon which basically is that I want to get the buzz of crossing that line feeling like a superhero and that has nothing to do with times!! I also felt fairly kick ass that despite himself being away that I just did it, whether it was 10:40 p.m. or 6:25 a.m. I realised that not doing it for me wasn't an option. Who is this person?!! In June if you had told me I'd be running 6 times a week for marathon training I would have pulled out thinking no way. This week I hit 70km on strava - true they were all way slower than I was running in June too but am still pretty chuffed with that. My only wobble was about doing 22 or 20 miles on Saturday. I went with the great Huzzah and stuck with 20 miles and then looked at strava when I came back and all my mates had a 35k done and I felt like a total under-achiever!! But I actually felt pretty good for the 20 miles - I mean don't get me wrong my legs were very heavy for that park run at the end but my ankle and heel felt fine and my brain was talking nice to me rather than negatively. As for the taper I'm kind of excited about the thoughts of taking it a bit easier but maybe I'll be cracking up by the end. Am mixing up my mid week runs this week as I did last week to try to get the longer runs out of the way on my days off work so I did 5 miles today and will do the MP miles tomorrow. Was delighted I got it done this morning before the torrential rain started. My one big blip is that I have't gotten on top of my food intake at all - eating rings around me of whatever the hell I like. I haven't gained any weight (miraculously) but I certainly haven't lost any either - had a half baked idea that I'd be a skinny minny size 10 running through the finish line in October but that would have needed a few less crisps and kit kats to be realised!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

How can this all be over in 4 weeks?!

Am I happy with last week?
    Last week was ok miles wise.

Mon 3 mile easy 13:16/mile
    Tue 3 mile easy 12:45/mile
    Wed 4 mile easy 12.48/mile - was supposed to be 6 mile but cut short due to dark
    Fri 14 mile LSR 14.39/mile - including 7 miles walking because I couldn't be bothered...
    Sunday 6 mile easy 11.58/mile

I started taking Immoflex to boost my immune system and also glucosamine for my joints. Feeling good and knee is fine. Went for a massage on Saturday to loosen out tightness on the left side.

Looking forward to the taper?
    Yes! Doing Longwood this weekend and then in my head it's all easy from there on...until the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Huzzah! wrote: »
    We all have bad runs and you learn more from them than the good ones. Try and not let it get you down. Do try and slow down the runs if you can. As you get fresher, there's a risk you'll start to speed up even more and we don't want that.

And you know what: there is nothing wrong with having just finishing as a goal. It's the right goal to have for your first. I think you might surprise yourself, though.

Hi Huzzah, thank you for the encouragement, going to draw a line under week 14 and see what week 15 brings!.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

kyomi wrote: »
    Just on this, not sure what others may think but just wanted to throw out a suggestion. Mentors, feel free to step in if you disagree.

As I mentioned nearer the top of the thread, I've been reading Lore of Running by Tim Noakes, which is really comprehensive and detailed about all aspects of marathoning. He is a big fan of a run/walk strategy for less experienced runners and even suggests that you may get a better time using a run/walk strategy from the start (e.g. 10 mins running, 1 min walking) rather than trying to run until your body gives out and only starting to walk after 20 miles.

If you're having doubts to the extent that you're already considering walking in the marathon, it may be worth thinking about doing walk/run as your pacing plan for the day. That way, you may be able to stay at a more even pace, go easier on your body and hopefully even enjoy the day without blowing up at 20 miles. Walking early as part of a plan must be preferable to hobbling on shot legs when you still have six miles to go!

Hi Kyomi, thanks for the advice, there could well be a valid point to it, as usually when out on a run, if I have to stop for whatever reason, traffic lights, crossing road, I find I bounce off again with a new lease of life, and this might be a good idea if the going gets tough early on the day of the marathon. I have been a spectator many times from mile 23 onwards and I suppose I have seen runners in great shape and those in not so great shape and am terrified of being one of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

How was week 14. I think it went very well, and managed to get all runs done. Monday 6.69/km @ 6:17/km Wed13.62 @6.19/km Thurs 8.82 @6.01/km Sat 32.20/km @6:20/km Looking forward to another big week befour the taper . On the question of a finishing time for the marathon, I am looking for your advice. Now my present fitness levels are 5K 23:26. 10K 49:55. Half Marathon 1:49:18. When the taper comes along, i would like to get a sports message. Looking for suggestions in the Palmerstown Dublin area. I find this homework harder than the running. Sorry if its all over the place. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How was Week 14?
    Feelings of being glad it's done, but at the same time I mostly enjoyed it despite the fatigue :)
    I found it hard to get into *the zone* for the first 3 miles of the longer midweek run (9 miles), but I know a mental battle when I see one :D so kept going knowing this will surely pass, and ended up feeling strong and up for more.
    I deliberately chose the last two Saturdays' LSR routes to include some challenging hills, including one in the closing miles that I'm hoping will prepare me for Heartbreak Hill :o
    I had a knee niggle seen to on Tuesday, I've been doing my exercises and S&C for that, and already the niggle is gone. Physio said these little niggles often resolve during the taper anyway. Going back for a check-up just after the start of the taper next week.
    Happy with the pre-LSR breakfast routine now, happy with gels and hydration... I tried a caffeine gel on Saturday and happy it didn't cause any ill effects... I thought it might as I don't drink coffee so not used to caffeine over and above what's in a cuppa tae.
    Overall, I *think* I'm starting to feel cautiously ready for this. I think. :o

Am I looking forward to the taper?
    Ooooh yes! I can't see taper madness being an issue for me (that'd be my inner lazy fecker coming out), and like Bananaleaf, I both want the marathon to happen now, and want it not to happen for a while yet :D

Longwood next Sunday! Seems to be a few of us doing it, so hopefully get to meet ye there! I'm sure the Longwood natives won't bat an eyelid at people asking them are they the internet peoples :D

Advertisement