Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the conservatives in Ireland?

Options
2456710

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how


    Boards is the wrong place to be asking anyway. Its so far to the left its about to fall off the edge

    Is it?

    Have you read the threads about immigration, travellers, social welfare?

    They seem to be dominated by conservative opinions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭briany


    Boards is the wrong place to be asking anyway. Its so far to the left its about to fall off the edge

    I must be on the wrong Boards.ie, then. I was on the one where 3/4s of After Hours denizens were voting for Peter Casey and there's a social welfare bashing thread every week.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich


    We have controlled immigration in Ireland.

    Controlled by who? How good is it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry


    Controlled by who? How good is it?

    I think this should pretty much cover it for you.

    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    Boards is the wrong place to be asking anyway. Its so far to the left its about to fall off the edge

    I'd imagine anywhere is the wrong place to be asking. Theres a reason these views aren't wide spread. Its because they are generally held but no offense but 'prxcks'. The same type who have to do somersaults of mental gymnastics in doling out their own supposed Christian views but spitting venomous hate on their fellow man or woman. It's a fascade. The religion, the conservatism, tax payers money Yadda Yadda. It's all a big cover for hate. To dish out whatever little hateful episodes they've had on their lives to others.

    They hate to see happier people than them and love to stick their oar in everywhere. Gossiping gob****es.


    So yeah. Don't be surprised if those views aren't held in high esteem in group settings . Because they are minority . And no on is stopping you spouting them but expect people to leave the room when you start.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark


    Renua.

    The national party.

    Possibly smaller ones I am not familiar with ?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe


    Opposing opinions are posted on this site and others every day! Saying that mass immigration is a bad thing is fine once you debate it clearly and give your reasons why you believe this.

    Blaming muslims for EVERYTHING that happens (see the 1st page of Notre Dame fire and many other threads) is a bad thing.

    The same as accusing the LGBT community of having some sort of nefarious "agenda" that includes brainwashing kids through the medium of unicorns and rainbows. Spout that shìte and you will rightly be mocked for it.

    No on is shutting down discussion, people are just sick of hearing the same lies and vile accusations spouted day in day out.

    Ok so.
    Ireland is generally a liberal country. We recently voted to allow same sex marriage for example.
    Why are we happy to allow Muslims to live here? A religion which is certainly not "liberal" , is against homosexuality , women's rights and has extreme elements which have led to Isis and terrorist attacks around the world.
    They do not assimilate to our culture and never will. This is seen all around Europe.

    Why are we inviting them here? It goes against our progressive values.
    Why is it fair game to have a pop at the Catholic church but not Islam?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry


    Aaaaand we're back to whinging about Muslims.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson


    Aaaaand we're back to whinging about Muslims.
    Makes a fair point imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich



    I'm sorry, that's not giving me the information I require.

    I leave North Africa as a 25 year old man. My drug dealing and criminality has caught up with me and it's time to start a new life. Dump my documents and get on a dingy to cross to Europe. 1 mile off shore an NGO boat "rescues" me and transports me safely to Italy. On arrival I give them my details. A fake name and I say I am 17 years old. Now I am classified as a child. Under EU directions I am shipped over to a small village in Ireland.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,552 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    Ok so.
    Ireland is generally a liberal country. We recently voted to allow same sex marriage for example.
    Why are we happy to allow Muslims to live here? A religion which is certainly not "liberal" , is against homosexuality , women's rights and has extreme elements which have led to Isis and terrorist attacks around the world.
    They do not assimilate to our culture and never will. This is seen all around Europe.

    Why are we inviting them here? It goes against our progressive values.
    Why is it fair game to have a pop at the Catholic church but not Islam?

    Because your description of Islam could easily be used to describe Catholicism/Christianity. Do you believe Ireland should only allow christians to live there?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry


    I'm sorry, that's not giving me the information I require.

    I leave North Africa as a 25 year old man. My drug dealing and criminality has caught up with me and it's time to start a new life. Dump my documents and get on a dingy to cross to Europe. 1 mile off shore an NGO boat "rescues" me and transports me safely to Italy. On arrival I give them my details. A fake name and I say I am 17 years old. Now I am classified as a child. Under EU directions I am shipped over to a small village in Ireland.

    I wrench my eyes open. Rough grey stone. Grey stone ceiling. My head hurts, and I'm lying on the floor.

    I'm staring at the ceiling, and it's rough and grey, and I don't recognize it.

    Outside there is an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

    There is a small mailbox here.

    A rubber mat saying 'Welcome to Zork!' lies by the door.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?


    pablojml wrote: »
    I'm not very familiar with the political parties of Ireland, and would like to ask where or which are the conservative parties in Ireland, not the fake ones, I mean the real conservatives who are for core family values, there are only two genders, a family is a man a woman and children, homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle and can be overcome (not hating it but not promoting it), safe borders, controlled immigration and not massive influx of ilegal immigration, parents are the main educators of children not schools, abortion means killing a baby, rights come from God and not men, not being driven by emotios but by logic, etc etc. Are they extinct? I am finding it really hard to find a political party with such great values. Are there any groups that anyone can join? Regards to all.

    You’re not talking about conservatives. You’re talking about crack pot fringe right wingers.

    Conservatism is traditionally an economic position and a belief in small government. There are many conservatives who had zero issue with Immigration, don’t care what people do in their own bedrooms and believe god should be kept out of public life.

    they/them/theirs


    And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek




  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich


    Brian? wrote: »
    crack pot fringe right wingers. .

    This says it all really. Your classification of people who want immigration control betrays your own ideology.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    Why are we happy to allow Muslims to live here? A religion which is certainly not "liberal" , is against homosexuality , women's rights and has extreme elements which have led to Isis and terrorist attacks around the world.

    Sounds a lot like Ireland in the 70s, 80s and early 90s.
    Blueshoe wrote:
    They do not assimilate to our culture and never will. This is seen all around Europe.

    Seeing as Islam is hundreds of years old, they appear to have assimilated just fine. Most of the worst atrocities carried out in Europe in the 20th century were done in the name of socities purporting to be Christian, or in the Soviet Union's case, godless.
    Blueshoe wrote:
    Why are we inviting them here? It goes against our progressive values.

    It's progressive to discriminate on religious grounds? Now we're sounding like Ireland in the 30s.

    I think we're inviting people here of all religious persuasions and none because we've learned more than most that sectarian attitudes lead to a sullen and sorry society, and we wish to be better than that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    This says it all really. Your classification of people who want immigration control betrays your own ideology.

    No not really. Your hijacking a previously held economic political outlook and trying to dress up right wing ideology as the same thing.

    So no.


    It's theft of a political position.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock


    So we started off asking why Ireland is not conservative enough and gone on to slaming Islam for being too conservative.

    Very narrow window people are being asked to operate in here.

    Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.



  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead


    pablojml wrote: »
    I'm not very familiar with the political parties of Ireland, and would like to ask where or which are the conservative parties in Ireland, not the fake ones, I mean the real conservatives who are for core family values, there are only two genders, a family is a man a woman and children, homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle and can be overcome (not hating it but not promoting it), safe borders, controlled immigration and not massive influx of ilegal immigration, parents are the main educators of children not schools, abortion means killing a baby, rights come from God and not men, not being driven by emotios but by logic, etc etc. Are they extinct? I am finding it really hard to find a political party with such great values. Are there any groups that anyone can join? Regards to all.

    Sounds like you are driven by emotion.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph


    pablojml wrote: »
    rights come from God and not men

    Wtf is that even supposed to mean? Are you expecting Moses to wander up Carrauntoohil and come down with a couple of stone tablets telling us how to behave or something? And what about those of us who aren't religious? Tbh, it sounds like Saudi Arabia is more what you're looking for rather than Ireland.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2


    Think it's a bit unfair to attack the OP for seeking a party that represents their views, however much you might dislike them. They likely don't need a party that encompasses all those views but a good selection, trending that way. Ditto for the rest of us, no party suits everybody all the time.

    The two main parties could equally house the OP, if they're less bothered about the abortion/ gay issues. They'd find plenty of people to agree with them on several of the other issues they raise.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    So where do you draw the line with negative views against mass immigration into Europe. Specifically Muslim immigration into Europe?
    An opposing opinion is not allowed. Why not?
    It is allowed as long as it doesn't incite to hate.

    Maybe Irish people know that at one time "Catholic hordes" migrating from our speck of earth to the US were also feared by the largely WASP settlers already there (a wet weekend).

    The mass migration of 2015 is over though. A common refugee and migration policy for all EU member states is long overdue.

    The vast majority of Muslim migrants in Ireland are of course not refugees to the EU. They have been admitted directly by Ireland because they satisfy Irish third country immigration rules.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56


    Well which one of those organisations you mention has a presence in every single village in Ireland? Which organisation controls most of the school our children go to? Which organisation is still wrapped around every part of life in Ireland?

    I want to live in the Ireland that Liberals believe we live in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12


    pablojml wrote:
    I'm not very familiar with the political parties of Ireland, and would like to ask where or which are the conservative parties in Ireland, not the fake ones, I mean the real conservatives who are for core family values, there are only two genders, a family is a man a woman and children, homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle and can be overcome (not hating it but not promoting it), safe borders, controlled immigration and not massive influx of ilegal immigration, parents are the main educators of children not schools, abortion means killing a baby, rights come from God and not men, not being driven by emotios but by logic, etc etc. Are they extinct? I am finding it really hard to find a political party with such great values. Are there any groups that anyone can join? Regards to all.


    Can I ask if it took long for you to overcome your homosexual thoughts and behaviour? Was it easy for you to become straight after being homosexual?


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?


    This says it all really. Your classification of people who want immigration control betrays your own ideology.

    Hilarious.

    I have zero issue with immigration control and am quite happy to hear people’s opinions on it.

    It’s the god bothering, anti gay rhetoric that makes them the lunatic fringe not the anti immigration stance.

    they/them/theirs


    And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek




  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?


    So we started off asking why Ireland is not conservative enough and gone on to slaming Islam for being too conservative.

    Very narrow window people are being asked to operate in here.

    They lack a sense of irony.

    they/them/theirs


    And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek




  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe


    Because your description of Islam could easily be used to describe Catholicism/Christianity. Do you believe Ireland should only allow christians to live there?

    The Catholic church is already here and is losing influence consistently. Thankfully

    But ignore my point anyway. Usual story


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe


    Sounds a lot like Ireland in the 70s, 80s and early 90s.



    Seeing as Islam is hundreds of years old, they appear to have assimilated just fine. Most of the worst atrocities carried out in Europe in the 20th century were done in the name of socities purporting to be Christian, or in the Soviet Union's case, godless.



    It's progressive to discriminate on religious grounds? Now we're sounding like Ireland in the 30s.

    I think we're inviting people here of all religious persuasions and none because we've learned more than most that sectarian attitudes lead to a sullen and sorry society, and we wish to be better than that.

    Do you think Islam is compatible with liberal progressive Ireland?

    You and others keep going back to sure that sounds like the Catholic church years ago.
    Was that a good thing ? Is that why you say it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    Do you think Islam is compatible with liberal progressive Ireland?

    You and others keep going back to sure that sounds like the Catholic church years ago.
    Was that a good thing ? Is that why you say it?

    The catholic church years ago is comparable to very moderate Islam.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe


    The catholic church years ago is comparable to very moderate Islam.

    An do you think that they were great times. Let's pretend we are progressive yet invite in people with beliefs from the dark ages.

    I actually think that most of you on the left are nice welcoming people who see the best in people and believe we can all hold hands and get along but your failings are shortsightedness and gullibility.
    We can't all get along because we are not the same in views, religious beliefs, culture, history and attitude.

    https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1122649/isis-news-latest-terror-france-jihadist-police-elysee-palace

    Oh look another one


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭briany


    Blueshoe wrote: »
    An do you think that they were great times. Let's pretend we are progressive yet invite in people with beliefs from the dark ages.

    I actually think that most of you on the left are nice welcoming people who see the best in people and believe we can all hold hands and get along but your failings are shortsightedness and gullibility.
    We can't all get along because we are not the same in views, religious beliefs, culture, history and attitude.

    It's interesting that you're having a go at those naive lefties. That really sums the whole thing up. I could just as well argue that so much of what we might call undesirable immigration as being a product of neo-liberal economics, led by the captains of industry who love the fact that plenty will come to the west to do menial work for next to no money.

    But, shur, let's carry on with the right blaming the left, and the left blaming the right, while the money men carry on laughing their heads off at the lot of us.


Advertisement