Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers should be forced to cut their emissions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Very true. I draw pig slurry out of piggerys. Pigs probably have the most miserable existence out of all farm animals. So much so that I’m cutting back big time on the amount of pork I eat

Don’t cut back.
    Rear anfew yoursef.
    Best food you’ll ever eat and they are great pets about the place too.
    Hoping to get ours soon for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Couldn't the cows be kept in sheds all year round and trees grown back on the grassland? They'll eat nuts and stuff I was told they do anyway. Farmers have no respect for fish aswell countless die from stuff getting into lakes and rivers. Bad lot in general those people and there supposedly the keepers of the land?

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Couldn't the cows be kept in sheds all year round and trees grown back on the grassland? They'll eat nuts and stuff I was told they do anyway. Farmers have no respect for fish aswell countless die from stuff getting into lakes and rivers. Bad lot in general those people and there supposedly the keepers of the land?

Your Varadkar aren’t you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

boggerman1 wrote: »
    It was more than sunny for 2 weeks.the lack of rainfall burnt everything to a crisp.I'm lucky here in my place in most yrs grow grass to beat the band but even by mid July I was struggling and had to use silage I had cut in early June.the dairying side of farming has expanded but its compensated by a reduction in the suckler herd on the other side.all this dairy expansion will die away in a while.there are lads getting into milking cows that never did before.a few yrs of hard work and they will be gone again.to be a dairy farmer u have to be brought up in it.its a tough gig but after the springtime its not too bad if u can get away from it for breaks once u have a decent setup

Would you give over about the hard work in farming, sure teaching piano and music is savage hard work 7 days a week with no breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

My comment on river pollution was down to every time I read about spillages and fish stocks being destroyed in rivers, it always seems to involve farmers.
    I struggle, I make f*ck all. I don't go demanding more money or better systems in place for music teachers. I do it because I like it.

One of the biggest polluter of waterways are the local authorities from towns and villages into rivers and sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

What if they have an intolerance to nuts? They can just lie down and die in your sick, futuristic forest of death, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Noveight wrote: »
    Farmer-bashing, a bright new future for AH.

It has hard acts to follow, but the dole bashing threads served us well.

One of the biggest polluter of waterways are the local authorities from towns and villages into rivers and sea.

The biggest polluter bar none.
    Plenty of places have raw sewage being pumped into waterways and seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

One example of that is Arklow. It has no sewage treatment plant and the sewage goes staright into the sea, plenty of towns and villages all over Ireland like this but nobody seems to care about that yet we have people on here giving out about the Farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What?
    What are you planning on feeding the cows/cattle,? And what are you planning on doing with cow manure from all these housed cattle, when you haven't got any grass land to
    spread it on, (pour it into rivers and lakes?)

Makes perfect sense really..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    The biggest polluter bar none.
    Plenty of places have raw sewage being pumped into waterways and seas.
    Yup.... Cork Harbour is now almost 50% closer to being sewage free (ish),(honestly that was a billboard add)
    At least irish water(who now have responsibility for this) are working on it, theyre working on the western harbour and planning the works for the Eastern side at the moment....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Would mean growing more grain, no positive impact re_ carbon targets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Oh my god.non farming community in this country need to get educated on how we farmers actually do our job.and not just watching aine Lawler on that awful rubbish big week on the farm. if they were kept in all yr round ye would be complaining about the more slurry smells to try and keep tanks empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Farmers put the welfare of their animals before their own wellbeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

This is the process i was alluding to. Build bigger sheds for farmers with more cows. As far as cow waste maybe use it for heating is it methane gas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

This is the process i was alluding to. Build bigger sheds for farmers with more cows. As far as cow waste maybe use it for heating is it methane gas?

So on the one hand u want farmers to cut down emissions but on the other build bigger sheds to increase cow numbers.u couldn't make this **** up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Harvest & sell the methane gas from the cows (and the farmers)

not forgetting their wives :)

It is something that is done,almost all farmers have winter housing for their cattle, and plans on what to do with effluent,(the longer they're in the sheds, the more diesel you need to use to provide food and spread waste) again anaerobic digestion is a thing, it's probably not very carbon neutral to keep cows in all year to get a little methane, and you still have the spent digestate to deal with,
    There's probably less ammonia losses from cows peeing in a field than in a shed.... (although they are working on new ways of minimising ammonia losses in sheds)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think its farmers on their own that need to make this decision but it should be a societal plan on cutting down.

It cannot all be on the individuals at home considering a third comes from the farming sector but why its so bad is so interwoven with current societal needs they cannot be forced to do it alone.

I would also really like to look at other things like what pesticides ect can be used, as we need to protect our bees before we have no food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm working off the phone and I haven't mastered these fancy picture sharing techniques. So a saved screenshot will have to suffice.

Same soil type. But different management has resulted in one soil having considerably more saved carbon than the other.

*Spoiler. It's the black soil.

Screenshot-2019-05-02-23-56-39.png

Screenshot-2019-05-03-00-06-02.png

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I don't think its farmers on their own that need to make this decision but it should be a societal plan on cutting down.

It cannot all be on the individuals at home considering a third comes from the farming sector but why its so bad is so interwoven with current societal needs they cannot be forced to do it alone.

I would also really like to look at other things like what pesticides ect can be used, as we need to protect our bees before we have no food.

Our current forestry scheme is disfunctional. There is an appetite out there to increase forestry but not under the current schemes. It’s allowing private forestry companies to swoop in plant inappropriately and walk away with the lions share of the direct payments.
    A refocus of the scheme would bring allot of native forestry forward and that is what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Everything

You seem to have no problem putting farmers and their families on the scrap heap

What do you do in life?

Typical ... heard a few comments by some so called wise one and has decided they will save the planet by screwing over other people.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Well that's the way the motor tax system was worked.
    You can only afford an early 2008 diesel Avensis? Pay 700+ a year motor tax.
    You can afford a 2009 diesel Avensis? Pay 390 a year motor tax.
    Exact same engine and emissions in both.

Like a lot of things see who benefited.
    Sales were down drastically due to failing economy in 2008 and SIMI have the ear of government.
    What better way to encourage new cars than decreased annual motor tax.
    Now how do we sell it as not just a way of getting business for SIMI.
    Oh I know it is for the environment. :rolleyes:
    Absolutely..
    But only on native forestry and only for continuous canopy managment..

Not another € should be paid on stika spruce plantation, its the nuclear detanation of forestry.. dirty, dark, lifeless forestry producing cheap nasty timber.

Maybe farmers and others don't want to wait 50 years or more for return on investment ?
    are you seriously this thick?
    can someone tell me why we had to pay for cattle feed last summer? didn't farmers run out of food for cows after it was sunny for 2 weeks? does that not maybe indicate there are too many cows here?

Read above post whilst looking at mirror.

You really are a bit of an eejit with comments like the above.

Maybe some of them. Why do we need 7 million if we export 90%?

Because it is one of our most valuable industries and gives employment to thousands throughout the country.
    Oh and those jobs won't disappear due to someone offering better tax terms in Poland, USA or offering cheap slave like labour in China.

And something your type just can't grasp, we are more environmentally friendly at rearing cows than lots of other areas in the world and if we stopped the market would not disappear but look to other sources.

Would you rather that the beef came from a Brazilian ranch that was once rainforest ?
    Would you rather that the beef came from a US or Canadian feedlot that was fed from maize that is never grown in rotation and hence killing the soil?

Or maybe you would rather people turned to likes of quinoa grown in former mountain habit territory ?
    So obviously I'm clueless with this stuff - but the part of Spain I go to every year is pretty much dry from about now until October or so. They seem to manage their water quite well there, canals going through farms etc.
    Why isn't this an issue in far dryer places than here?

You are fooking clueless about this stuff alright.

How do you get to Spain ?
    How many cows would your trip be equal to ?

How much of a drain on resources are you putting on that Spanish environment or do you not bother washing, drinking water and swimming in pools when you are over there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/farming-pollution-sees-water-quality-in-ireland-deteriorate-1.3715715

xl500 wrote: »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/avoca-and-tolka-among-ireland-s-six-most-polluted-rivers-1.3204157?mode=amp

Raw sewage being intentionally discharged at 40 known locations in the state.

This isn’t accidental or a byproduct of busy agriculture. It’s blatant pumping of raw sewage into rivers and seas across the state.

Farmers receive hefty fines for accidentally polluting a waterway, it’s some double standard that Irish water are allowed to intentionally do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What are you doing to reduce carbon emissions? Where do your clothes come from, or any products you use for that matter. Do you drive? etc etc.
    I don't really eat beef, or dairy any more, once in a blue moon.

You eat beef and dairy, or you don't. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You're dead right, and it would in no way be an over-reaction to start dribbling profusely all over one's keyboard while pronouncing that all farmers should have their genitals cut off and placed over the gatepost along with a notice warning the weary traveler of the grave and foul carbon-related transgressions that were transgressed in that dark place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Maybe some of them. Why do we need 7 million if we export 90%?

Why do we need thousands of people working in Intel, when a few hundred could keep the population in lap-tops for ever?
    And don't fotget that Intel, and the computer industry in general, utilises vast quantities of clean water in their manufacturing process.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Why do we need thousands of people working in Intel, when a few hundred could keep the population in lap-tops for ever?
    And don't fotget that Intel, and the computer industry in general, utilises vast quantities of clean water in their manufacturing process.

Oh my god you'd want to see the crap by-products being churned out there by the barrel load..

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/avoca-and-tolka-among-ireland-s-six-most-polluted-rivers-1.3204157?mode=amp

Raw sewage being intentionally discharged at 40 known locations in the state.

This isn’t accidental or a byproduct of busy agriculture. It’s blatant pumping of raw sewage into rivers and seas across the state.

Farmers receive hefty fines for accidentally polluting a waterway, it’s some double standard that Irish water are allowed to intentionally do it.

as the old saying goes "2 Wrongs dont make a right"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Carrots, spinach, potatoes, kale, turnips, cauliflower, brocolli, peas all grown well in Ireland and super healthy. An abundance of fish around us and great bread made here too.

We are absolutely spoiled and can easily be sustainable and environmentally friendly if we all focused our diets on these foods for a few days in a week. It would be incredibly healthy too. As well, we would be supporting Irish agriculture more.

Advertisement