Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers should be forced to cut their emissions

Options
  • 01-05-2019 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Think about how much carbon methane etc that they emit. Its absolutely disgusting and it's me the taxman that wilm suffer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Think about how much carbon methane etc that they emit. Its absolutely disgusting and it's me the taxman that wilm suffer

I actually thought it was the cattle.

Every day is a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You’re a taxman? What’s that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Ration the amount of beans that a farmer can consume in your grand plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I heard something about mixing seaweed into cattle feed and that is supposed to stop them farting so much.

Anyone know anything about it?

Does it work for humans too?

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Farmer-bashing, a bright new future for AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Class. The day that the taxman will suffer is finally here. Thank the carbon methane f**k

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farms sequester carbon into soils which has of yet not been recognised but is being studied. Actually Australia are probably ahead of everyone on this drive.

Gas that people want to tackle agriculture yet Ryanair with their €10 flights to boozy destinations are hailed as hero’s.

It should be €10 a day to bring any vehicle inside the M50. That would be a decent way to cut Ireland’s emissions while allowing us to produce food to keep the ungreatfull dicks alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Pay a thought for farmer brown it can be taxing enough trying to usher a reluctant cow out of the pen without raising a stink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

Farming can only emit the carbon it absorbs. It is carbon neutral at worst. The reason it is penalized is the way the carbon is calculated, it doesn’t allow for the same amount of carbon being absorbed, that’s where is comes from after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

_Brian wrote: »
    It should be €10 a day to bring any vehicle inside the M50.

I live inside the M50 so I can drive without charge I presume? It's just for people who can't afford to live where I live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Zelka

The oil and coal barons need something to distract from their products emmissions, so blame it on the cattle, and get the vegan trendies to spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Odelay wrote: »
    Farming can only emit the carbon it absorbs. It is carbon neutral at worst. The reason it is penalized is the way the carbon is calculated, it doesn’t allow for the same amount of carbon being absorbed, that’s where is comes from after all.

This is almost as poorly thought out as the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Yeah, force the farmer to pay.
    Then they raise their prices, which are passed on you instead.
    I see no flaw in this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Yeah, force the farmer to pay.
    Then they raise their prices, which are passed on you instead.
    I see no flaw in this plan.

Plan? He has a plan?

I thought it was just this:

old.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This is almost as poorly thought out as the first post.

Little steps

Grass absorbs carbon
    Cattle eat grass (and the carbon)
    Cattle emit the carbon
    Cattle slaughtered and eaten
    More grass grows and absorbs carbon
    Rinse and repeat.

Cattle don’t just magically create carbon. Like humans don’t magically create carbon, it comes from the food we eat and we expel it when we breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

No point in trying to explain anything to the OP.
    That's a job for the Irish education system to try first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

farming feeds us. it should be the very last thing to be taxed.
    plenty more luxuries out there to curtail - not tax cos I believe most tax is theft as it's wasted on utter sh1te

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Odelay wrote: »
    Little steps

Grass absorbs carbon
    Cattle eat grass (and the carbon)
    Cattle emit the carbon
    Cattle slaughtered and eaten
    More grass grows and absorbs carbon
    Rinse and repeat.

Cattle don’t just magically create carbon. Like humans don’t magically create carbon, it comes from the food we eat and we expel it when we breathe.
    Sounds like we need to ban grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

paw patrol wrote: »
    farming feeds us. it should be the very last thing to be taxed.
    plenty more luxuries out there to curtail - not tax cos I believe most tax is theft as it's wasted on utter sh1te

Like trying to educate people like the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sounds like we need to ban grass!

But places have only begun to legalise it :eek:

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I heard something about mixing seaweed into cattle feed and that is supposed to stop them farting so much.

Anyone know anything about it?

Does it work for humans too?

It needs to be synthesised for Mass production,made cheap enough that farmers will buy it,and then somehow ensure they use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This neither friendly nor fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think something like 90% of our beef is exported. We have 7 million cattle in Ireland and that is increasing. So we have way more than we could ever need. Ideally we'd take back some of the land and plant some native trees, or "rewild" the land. Currently we have a massive beef farm with no trees as our country. It's a dirty industry as is. Not all of us eat beef or dairy either, so they're not feeding me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

I think something like 90% of our beef is exported. We have 7 million cattle in Ireland and that is increasing. So we have way more than we could ever need. Ideally we'd take back some of the land and plant some native trees, or "rewild" the land. Currently we have a massive beef farm with no trees as our country. It's a dirty industry as is. Not all of us eat beef or dairy either, so they're not feeding me.

Beef is not such a dirty industry as is reliant on a large number of small holders. The issue is with the huge increase in dairy farming since the removal of quotas. I agree though, it would be great to see sustainable subsidies to farmers to revert land back to native forests. Would aid tourism and leisure activities into the future

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

zapitastas wrote: »
    Beef is not such a dirty industry as is reliant on a large number of small holders. The issue is with the huge increase in dairy farming since the removal of quotas. I agree though, it would be great to see sustainable subsidies to farmers to revert land back to native forests. Would aid tourism and leisure activities into the future

Easy way to make that happen

Guarentee forestry subsidies for the duration of the forests maturity period, currently it's fifteen years, needs to be three times that

I wasn't thinking about tourism for a second. It doesn't have to be about money all the time although that's all that seems to matter in Ireland. It's just wrong for the whole island to be a farm. We have hardly any national parks or woodland cover.
    How about we just leave some of the country alone and let it replenish. If you google river pollution in Ireland it's just shocking, the amount of spillages and toxic waste that gets into our rivers, farming is often involved.
    When I was a kid in the 80s there were so many different types of bees and insects that we used to collect in jars. These are all disappearing.
    Salmon aren't coming back to spawn here any more. Would you blame them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

I wasn't thinking about tourism for a second. It doesn't have to be about money all the time although that's all that seems to matter in Ireland. It's just wrong for the whole island to be a farm. We have hardly any national parks or woodland cover.
    How about we just leave some of the country alone and let it replenish. If you google river pollution in Ireland it's just shocking, the amount of spillages and toxic waste that gets into our rivers, farming is often involved.
    When I was a kid in the 80s there were so many different types of bees and insects that we used to collect in jars. These are all disappearing.
    Salmon aren't coming back to spawn here any more. Would you blame them!
    Well if the livelihoods of those currently engaged in farming is going to change then there needs to be alternatives. Tourism doesn't have to be about Americans jetting in. Can be people in cities and towns getting out for a spot of fishing, climbing, kayaking, biking

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Good man

Attack the only export we excel in on the world stage

Well if the livelihoods of those currently engaged in farming is going to change then there needs to be alternatives. Tourism doesn't have to be about Americans jetting in. Can be people in cities and towns getting out for a spot of fishing, climbing, kayaking, biking

Fair enough but it would be decades before any wilderness reappeared in Ireland probably.
    The health of our land and environment is more important than some unemployed farmers in my view, and there are plenty of opportunities in Ireland.

Nothing is going to change however, so no one need worry.

• Advertisement

Good man

Attack the only export we excel in on the world stage

do you think we should just keep growing the beef and dairy industry indefinitely?

Advertisement