Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

I would like to see Addison get a run at 13, definitely a better passer than Marshall and more of a threat in open play too. Plenty of quality options in the back three with Stockdale, Baloucoune, Ludik, Lyttle and Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Impressed tonight.

Addison was excellent...no idea how he didn't get MOTM, Balacoune was very good. Tonight you saw why Marshall didn't make the Ireland squad...and I'm a fan of Luke. He does plenty of other really good things to make up for it. However if you are talking in an Ireland context it is hard to look past. The clue may be in the playing of Stockdale at 15. Ulster's optimum backline may have Addison at 13 with Stockdale at 15 and Bobby B on the wing. Not sure who the other wing is.

Balacoune is a serious player in the making. He just gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Will probably never happen due to injuries
    ( especially Lyttle) , but I would love to see this team get a run of games together.

15. Stockdale
    14. Baloucoune
    13. Addison
    12. McCloskey
    11. Lyttle
    10. Burns
    9. Cooney
    8. Coetzee
    7. Murphy
    6. Rea
    5. Carter
    4. Henderson
    3. Moore
    2. Herring
    1. McGrath

Don't want to be too critical of an ex Ulster player, and it almost certainly wasn't intentional, but Paddy Mac can count himself lucky he didn't receive some sort of sanction for that collision with Coetzee. I don't blame the ref, but how did the TMO not see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bilston wrote: »
    Don't want to be too critical of an ex Ulster player, and it almost certainly wasn't intentional, but Paddy Mac can count himself lucky he didn't receive some sort of sanction for that collision with Coetzee. I don't blame the ref, but how did the TMO not see it?

It was checked.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It was checked.

Are you sure? It didn't look like it to me

I mean it was a no arms tackle and the first connection was head on head...if it was checked then the TMO and ref are incompetent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It was shown multiple times on the big screen at the ground, where it looked like the initial contact with Coetzee"s head was from McAllister's shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

Alan O’Connor seriously bleeds Ulster! really impressed with him this season. If his brother can get to the same level. That is two Seriously good squad players we have poached from Leinster's system, even if their classed as rejects.

Agreed. Also, his accent is going the right way. Couple of Ulster vowels in last week's after-game interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Treadwell looked like he's put on some serious timber this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Ridiculous.
    He should be cited you'd think, but that defeats the point.

Should have been a red all day long for me.

Think of Addison's recent ban, last night looked worse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No surprise there. As long as Coetzee's back for Europe, that's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ludik looked in real bother going off. Sucks for him and us, I'd written him off before the start of this year tbh, but he's been great this year. Given the injury profiles of our back three players he could be a real loss.

Ludik looked in real bother going off. Sucks for him and us, I'd written him off before the start of this year tbh, but he's been great this year. Given the injury profiles of our back three players he could be a real loss.

Ludik is always handy to have for the big games. He just offers a bit of experience and solidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Happy New Years folks.

New Years resolution is to stop hyping Baloucoune. He'll be our secret weapon.

Best of luck for 2020 everyone.

Happy New Years folks.

New Years resolution is to stop hyping Baloucoune. He’ll be our secret weapon.

Best of luck for 2020 everyone.

In hindsight it was a mistake to hype up an Ulster player on the Ireland thread...

Anyway happy New Year everyone, I've a good feeling about the rest of the season for Ulster, and hopefully this is just the beginning.

Can't believe it's 2020...it is officially the future and I feel old...God knows how Jaco feels...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

In hindsight it was a mistake to hype up an Ulster player on the Ireland thread...

Anyway happy New Year everyone, I've a good feeling about the rest of the season for Ulster, and hopefully this is just the beginning.

Can't believe it's 2020...it is officially the future and I feel old...God knows how Jaco feels...:D

I feel great...apart from the bits that don't. My lady wife bought me a Martin D35 for Christmas. That helps a lot.....:D:D:D Here in beautiful Foreignastan (Morayshire...I'm learning the local language) I'm enjoying a new lease of life. I miss Ireland like crazy but it's good to keep things ticking over. New is good. I Took the dog for a walk on Christmas day and watched a small pod of Dolphins arsing about near the harbour in the village. We have an occasional visits from a Pine Marten in a walled garden. There is a Hobby living in a local forest. It's an interesting bird. The Cairngorms are only a few miles away. In 4 hours I can be walking in Glencoe. Great local beers here. Keeps me on my toes...it's uphill on the way home from the pub. D:D:D Being 70 has it's drawbacks but in reality I don't feel a day over 69 and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

When I grow up I want to be Jaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

D-35!? You lucky, lucky b@st@rd. The best I've done from my wife is a Fender Jag Special. Nice, but no D-35.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    D-35!? You lucky, lucky b@st@rd. The best I've done from my wife is a Fender Jag Special. Nice, but no D-35.

I've built up a nice collection over the years. I used money I earned in the band to buy nice stuff instead of it just dribbling away. I've got two USA Jags. A three tone sunburst that I used a lot at gigs and a Surf Green one that is a true work of art but it is very heavy for some reason. I love Jags.

I do have another Martin D18 and two nice Taylors. I have also gathered up 5 Strats including a '67 that was left to me by my late brother. It looks as if it has been attacked by a pack of wolves. I have a custom shop Tele, a Teleacoustic which isn't great unless it has chorus and reverb to sweeten it, a Gretsch, a Peerless La Muse, a 1972 Ibanez Les Paul that was covered in paint splashes which I bought for £90. The paint all came off in about 2 minutes using my thumb nail. It is quite awesome. It has a mirrored gold finish that is almost flawless..The sound of it is wonderful. The guy who sold it is a drummer. :D
    The rest of my collection includes two Variax guitars, a Sheraton II with Sounds of Sin pickups, a Steinberger that I bought for 40 Euro in a computer shop in Glenties. I have a Yamaha FG 450 that I bought in the early 70s and a Vintage V 600.
    I've had lots of others over the years that I have sold or traded and some I have regretted parting with.

The problem I have now is what to do with it all. You can imagine that amount of kit I also have. 2 P.A.systems etc. I'll never use much of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jaco will you adopt me please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    I've built up a nice collection over the years. I used money I earned in the band to buy nice stuff instead of it just dribbling away. I've got two USA Jags. A three tone sunburst that I used a lot at gigs and a Surf Green one that is a true work of art but it is very heavy for some reason. I love Jags.

I do have another Martin D18 and two nice Taylors. I have also gathered up 5 Strats including a '67 that was left to me by my late brother. It looks as if it has been attacked by a pack of wolves. I have a custom shop Tele, a Teleacoustic which isn't great unless it has chorus and reverb to sweeten it, a Gretsch, a Peerless La Muse, a 1972 Ibanez Les Paul that was covered in paint splashes which I bought for £90. The paint all came off in about 2 minutes using my thumb nail. It is quite awesome. It has a mirrored gold finish that is almost flawless..The sound of it is wonderful. The guy who sold it is a drummer. :D
    The rest of my collection includes two Variax guitars, a Sheraton II with Sounds of Sin pickups, a Steinberger that I bought for 40 Euro in a computer shop in Glenties. I have a Yamaha FG 450 that I bought in the early 70s and a Vintage V 600.
    I've had lots of others over the years that I have sold or traded and some I have regretted parting with.

The problem I have now is what to do with it all. You can imagine that amount of kit I also have. 2 P.A.systems etc. I'll never use much of it again.
    You must have a big house to go with your patient wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

jacothelad wrote: »

Jesus Jaco that's some set-up. I'd be happy with just a fraction of it. But then I cant find the time to play the ones I have (highway 1 strat, jag special, 72 tele thinline, Martin Dx1, dobro hound dog, random cigar box & a takemine with action as big as a house!). To have all that and time to follow the rugby too is the dream.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Jesus Jaco that's some set-up. I'd be happy with just a fraction of it. But then I cant find the time to play the ones I have (highway 1 strat, jag special, 72 tele thinline, Martin Dx1, dobro hound dog, random cigar box & a takemine with action as big as a house!). To have all that and time to follow the rugby too is the dream.

I like the Tele Thinlines. The custom shop one I have has a sculpted body like a Strat. It makes it a lot more comfortable to play. I had a very nice but lowish end Takamine that was great for live acoustic gigs. Stable tuning, built in tuner and good pick up system. I had taken it in part exchange for a Gretsch 5420 I really hated. I was playing a solo gig in Dunfanaghy a few years ago and when I'd finished a guy came up to me and said how much he liked it and offered me 350 Euro for it on the spot. He got a nice guitar and I got more than it owed me. Why has yours got a high action? They usually stay pretty much right. Maybe the truss rod has either come loose or has snapped. I also had a Martin DX1 that I sold to a guy on UAFC. At one time I had over 30 guitars and sold 10 when I was moving from Co.Antrim to here.

As it happens my last house was a huge Victorian villa that had 18 rooms so lots of space for toys. My new house isn't as big but its still 355 sq metres according to the survey when we bought it...whatever that is in feet and I have a double garage that I'm in the process of turning into a studio /play room. Most of this activity is displacement busy work to make up for what I miss in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Rugby boards drinks and sing song in Jacos Gaff after?

If I get drunk, well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you.
    How many miles from Murrayfield are you?

But I would walk 500 miles....

Edit
    I couldn’t resist
    Sorry.....but I can’t help myself sometimes.

We could make a song and dance about Baloucoune

Rugby boards drinks and sing song in Jacos Gaff after?

If I get drunk, well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you.
    How many miles from Murrayfield are you?

But I would walk 500 miles....

Edit
    I couldn’t resist
    Sorry.....but I can’t help myself sometimes.

We could make a song and dance about Baloucoune
    I couldn't defend that.....;)

I'm 200 miles north on the coast of the Moray Firth.....and I hate the Proclaimers with every cell in my body.

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Matty Rea is really starting to look the business.

Ulster have really been lacking proper tough Ballymena farmer type forwards for a long time, is the duck about to be broken?

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also can I just say... McFarland IN!

He has my seal of approval, and I'm sure he's delighted for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster on the up! Why is that? It's brilliant to watch them improve.
    Great coaching. This team are top shelf. Instilling belief and a hard edge.
    Smart signings! Jack and Jordi, they bring a different level of expectation and experience.
    Burns playing very well. Coetzee healthy and some young lads playing great rugby.
    They aren't the finished product yet, but they are really coming along.

Advertisement