Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Seems like something that folk on the Leinster thread would be really interested in.

I did hear O'Connor on the Left Wing Podcast say something in passing about Payne coming back. Anyone heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

Read Leinster were enquiring about him for replacement attacks coach before going with Bleyendaal.

Would take him back with open arms! I'm right in thinking when are defence was good he was coaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

(15-9): Will Addison, Mike Lowry, James Hume, Jude Postlethwaite, Jacob Stockdale, Jake Flannery, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Eric O’Sullivan, Tom Stewart, Scott Wilson, Harry Sheridan, Alan O’Connor, Dave Ewers, Marcus Rea, Dave McCann. 

Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Tom O’Toole, Cormac Izuchukwu, Greg Jones, John Cooney, Billy Burns, Ethan McIlroy.

First start for Wilson! (?)

Good to see Sheridan and Postlethwaite starting. Postlethwaite and Hume will have to work hard against Mason Grady, who is a serious player and off the bench, immediately upped Wales' performance against Italy (too late, of course).

A sighting of the lesser-spotted Greg Jones! Is this really worth it? Could we not have seen McNabney/ McLoughlin / Crothers again?

Delighted Burns is back. This might be a "rally from the bench" situation.

SUFTUM! Renewed my season ticket during the week.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hopefully the idea of Doak to 10 has been scrapped. Unfortunately it may be too late to sign a competent 10 and certainly too late to resign BB.

That's interesting.

He saw exactly the same picture as I think a lot of us did - the loss to Leinster was a catalyst for implosion.

And, if as he says, a large part of the case for a 3G pitch was to be able to host more schools and club games there, that's a good, solid grassroots reason for it (obviously that was before his two weeks in the job, regardless).

He's obviously a supporter first and foremost, which is good, and I like the cut of his jib, but then I initially thought Petrie was a good appointment.

Thought he came across well, though see he’s saying he doesn’t want the job long term on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hugh said we have 2 very talented young 10s. If that is the case why are they kept secret because we certainly haven't seen them. If one of them is James Humphreys maybe his judgement isn't all we hope it is on current evidence. At least he doesn't sound like a bullshitter. Petrie was probably swimming against the tide and did his best up against the committee system.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah that was just the typical stock answer to the question, he's hardly going to say that both our 10s are garbage. I think reading between the lines of what he said Ulster know we have a big problem there, the question is whether we can afford to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yea, I think it's generally important not to take too much from interviews and other media because corporate jobs like these are very political. I can almost guarantee he has thought long and hard about how best to present himself to us and has possibly had meetings with people on strategies for answering certain questions. Obviously it's always good to see what our leadership thinks - what they think are problems our and how they want to go about fixing them - but at the end of the day it's all a play and we need to be entertained to keep the money flowing.

People in these roles need to be judged on nothing other than the results they achieve.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

a 3G pitch was to be able to host more schools and club games there, that's a good, solid grassroots reason for it

beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Polypropylene/polyethylene roots doesn't quite roll of the tongue in the same way…

Entirely on purpose, I can assure you. I am possessed of a Wildean flair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Find it unlikely Ulster will win this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Doak with two dreadful kicks. The lad looks devoid of confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bad injury to Hume. Looked like his knee went in the tackle.

Early days but this is a very tough watch. All the mistakes and usual scrum pressure aside, everyone looks so hesitant and soft running into contact.

Looking at the replay, I think Hume's knee went before the contact occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

wouldn't have Addison on any provincial team

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Ulster desperately need to just show some composure, and try and go through some phases. They keep trying the Hollywood offloads and chip kicks etc and squander good attacking situations. That was utterly silly there from Postlethwaite after a good break from Flannery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Faletau is cursed

Faletau off injured. Looks like a broken arm.

Hasn't played in six months since breaking his arm at the World Cup then picking up a calf injury in training for the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

pitch claiming limbs and knees

This would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. We're playing better stuff now and winning more collisions but just can't get that try

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Weak reffing from Adamson there - should have been a yellow for Alex Mann. When you’re telling the guy that’s his second illegal tackle why isn’t he sitting down for 10 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That no arms tackle needs to be a YC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

cardiff 6 has very little interest in playing the game of rugby according to the rules. Two dangerous knee tackles and a cheeky headbutt as well.

This isnt unusual for him either. Against munster recently he was constantly on the lookout for cheap dirty stuff.

Hard to see him not getting a YC tonight with the ref noticing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Sparky just got tackled out through the advertising hoardings! 🤣

Advertisement