Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Its also hilarious to see someone claim that (a) contracts should be fundamentally altered when it suits the employer (pay cuts by the IRFU) but (b) contracts must be honoured regardless of the employees needs (Coetzee with Ulster). Because apparently contracts shouldn't be honoured but they also should be honoured. And somehow its others who are being hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Not many players played all that well, but we've gone to connacht with a 2nd string pack which is hard to do.

The props and Rea made an impact coming on, Treadwell and Andrew played decent as well. Timoney is so frustrating - couple of big hits and a good carry, but is often invisible. Swear i'll be on here when he's 29 talking about him making a leap next season. Still not sure what to make of Greg Jones, okay player but needs to put on weight.

Not too much to say about the backs, played the conditions well and kicked the points, which was a smart change in tactic from what we've seen this year. Moore was poor defensively again and that poor kick cost us. Hume has improved his defensive reads this year but still falls off tackles. Wasn't really a game for the back three.

Congrats to Ben Moxham for making his debut, an early cap isn't always an indication of a good career (Dalton, Hall) but we have a decent track record with our backline and it's a huge achievement for someone not in the academy. He's bigger than I remember and a decent turn of pace on him, not sure at all on his best position but he's a really interesting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭launish116

The props and Rea made an impact coming on, Treadwell and Andrew played decent as well. Timoney is so frustrating - couple of big hits and a good carry, but is often invisible. Swear i'll be on here when he's 29 talking about him making a leap next season. Still not sure what to make of Greg Jones, okay player but needs to put on weight.

Timoney - frustrating indeed, goes awol far to often. He is to small unfortunately.

Jones - is growing on me, seemed to tackle his heart out tonight. Defensive forward but tend to agree, needs some more timber and an aggression.

Tread well - pretty much showed what we’ve missed.

Andrew - showing he is handy squad player, tonight was a game for McGrath but he always seems injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just thinking, given the format of the Pro 14 now, Ulster need to go full strength away to Leinster now. It will be interesting to see how Ulster approach it, as well as Munster on 2nd Jan.

bilston wrote: »
    Just thinking, given the format of the Pro 14 now, Ulster need to go full strength away to Leinster now. It will be interesting to see how Ulster approach it, as well as Munster on 2nd Jan.

It really is a season of no losses and hope Leinster don’t keep picking up bonus points. Leinster v Ulster is basically our semi final. Realistically us or Munster might be the only teams capable of knocking Leinster of top spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

launish116 wrote: »
    It really is a season of no losses and hope Leinster don’t keep picking up bonus points. Leinster v Ulster is basically our semi final. Realistically us or Munster might be the only teams capable of knocking Leinster of top spot.

I agree with your points here. We obviously now need to top the conference to have a chance of winning the competition so put out a full strength team for next 2 games and rest players for remaining European games. Munster will probably come fully loaded on Saturday after their last game was postponed so it could be a very tight encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I agree with your points here. We obviously now need to top the conference to have a chance of winning the competition so put out a full strength team for next 2 games and rest players for remaining European games. Munster will probably come fully loaded on Saturday after their last game was postponed so it could be a very tight encounter.

Not sure how it works but would IRFU dictate that the internationals are on a 2 week break of sorts so regardless of postponements they aren't available?

Munster still alive in Europe and have a decent cushion in their Pool in Pro14 so have no need to go fully loaded.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Not sure how it works but would IRFU dictate that the internationals are on a 2 week break of sorts so regardless of postponements they aren't available?

Munster still alive in Europe and have a decent cushion in their Pool in Pro14 so have no need to go fully loaded.

Do agree no real reason for Munster to come full guns blazing, but even their team without internationals has been strong.

Be interesting to see, we played our joker last night and it worked out. Realistically we’re only going to miss Herring for two weeks? Could be in bother if Andrew’s cramp is an injury.

No real reason for McCloskey and O'Sullivan to be held back for the next two games as they barely played for Ireland. Herring and Stockdale played a lot more...Burns is 50/50, he didn't get that many minutes in the end, but I'm less worried about that as Madigan can fit in well anyway.

Also I think we need to go all out against Gloucester as well, as we want to get into the Challenge Cup and probably need at least 5 points from our last 2 games to do that. Toulouse away will be tough no matter what team we put out. But the Challenge Cup could be a realistic trophy aim in the Spring, especially if we get Henderson and Balacoune back...not sure on Addison when he will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The "no play-offs" format is such a pain in the hoop - I would have loved to have gone toe-to-toe with Munster at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

The "no play-offs" format is such a pain in the hoop - I would have loved to have gone toe-to-toe with Munster at the end of the season.

It is isn’t it. Could of really done with Munster v Leinster going ahead. If we don’t beat Leinster in two weeks, pretty much season over.

Scheduling hasn’t helped, if we lose I’d go as far as it’s time to fast track academy forwards during 6 nations window. Realistically Leinster will be out of reach.

*just thinking will Munster be awarded points for their postponed game?

It is isn’t it. Could of really done with Munster v Leinster going ahead. If we don’t beat Leinster in two weeks, pretty much season over.

Scheduling hasn’t helped, if we lose I’d go as far as it’s time to fast track academy forwards during 6 nations window. Realistically Leinster will be out of reach.

Yeah, if we get to the stage where we realistically can't catch Leinster, I'd want to see the young forwards get plenty more game time. Although we don't want to drop from third (assuming Leinster and Munster are top tier as finalists) for HEC qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If pro14 go down that route leinster get 5 points for their postponed scarlets away game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

game was postponed not called off, so no points to be rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The plan is to play the games but there is so much uncertainty at the moment that it’s anybody’s guess. I’d say clubs also have in the back of the head if we have an outbreak we could lose points that we otherwise wouldn’t. This makes the European groups a bit interesting in that we all think we know what’s happening in each group but teams could easily have to give to 28-0 wins away.

bayern wrote: »
    game was postponed not called off, so no points to be rewarded.

Just thinking games will be stacking up, Leinster will have two now to reschedule. Then again they have a squad to accommodate that and rotation.

On the other hand in euro 0-28 win away Toulouse would be nice.

Wondering will a lot of teams see that the season is already over and start expanding depth. Mentioned it already it’s great we’ve won so many games. But that has been at our depth expense. Where as the likes of Scottish/Welsh may have been beat but have added a lot of minutes to their stretched squads. Short term losses, long term squad exposure.

Just thinking games will be stacking up, Leinster will have two now to reschedule. Then again they have a squad to accommodate that and rotation.

On the other hand in euro 0-28 win away Toulouse would be nice.

Wondering will a lot of teams see that the season is already over and start expanding depth. Mentioned it already it’s great we’ve won so many games. But that has been at our depth expense. Where as the likes of Scottish/Welsh may have been beat but have added a lot of minutes to their stretched squads. Short term losses, long term squad exposure.

As ever, only in the forwards. We just played a centre off the bench who's also in the U20s squad for the Six Nations.

As ever, only in the forwards. We just played a centre off the bench who's also in the U20s squad for the Six Nations.

I’m like a broken record! But it seriously getting sickening seeing backs constantly getting game time! When we’re crying out for forwards! Albeit Jones is showing some promise.

I’m like a broken record! But it seriously getting sickening seeing backs constantly getting game time! When we’re crying out for forwards! Albeit Jones is showing some promise.

Told you Jones has potential!

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TBH I trust McFarland more than any of our coaches in recent times, so if they aren't playing certain lads then I trust there is a good reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

He does but turns 25 in January. Kinda feels like another Matty Rea. Will do a good job at Pro14 level. If he had Euro or international potential he'd already have been 1st choice for 2 seasons.

You think we need someone in the academy who can properly coach forwards?! It's like we coach the ability out of them if we cant turn them into another centre

Still think he’s a little light! Interesting that Rea is being bench. He does offer something different.

Reminds me a little of Diack, good handling and defencesively/tackling, just need him to up his attack/carrying.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    You think we need someone in the academy who can properly coach forwards?! It's like we coach the ability out of them if we cant turn them into another centre

Makes you wonder, we have a prop for head coach and an international backrow for forwards coach. Surely they have input into the academy and a lot of the academy are training with seniors regularly.

See Bradley Roberts is now officially listed in the senior squad.

That means our senior squad is now 43 players, of whom 40 have togged out this season (no ABC - Addison, Baloucoune, Curtis).

We have also played 4 academy players - McIlroy, McCann, Sexton and Moxham.

For a team that has been trying to rack up points by playing out best players, that's pretty good. 44 players

See Bradley Roberts is now officially listed in the senior squad.

That means our senior squad is now 43 players, of whom 40 have togged out this season (no ABC - Addison, Baloucoune, Curtis).

We have also played 4 academy players - McIlroy, McCann, Sexton and Moxham.

For a team that has been trying to rack up points by playing out best players, that's pretty good. 44 players

Herring with potential international call ups, McBurney & Stewart both injured. Makes sense, he seems well liked and is a wee nugget. Be interesting to see if it ups McBurneys game when he returns.

With all the back academy players getting time. I wonder is there an air of reviewing our stocks prior to contract negotiations. Realistically we could offload Gilroy, Faddes & Ludik retiring. Would have a high impact fancifully.

Irony being Roberts has had more caps this year than any academy forward and he’s come from AIL. Though appreciate circumstances.

With all the back academy players getting time. I wonder is there an air of reviewing our stocks prior to contract negotiations. Realistically we could offload Gilroy, Faddes & Ludik retiring. Would have a high impact fancifully.
    I don't think there's an immediate need to cut players, as we have injury prone backs - Addison, Lyttle, Baloucoune. Guess it might depend on how much Faddes is making and whether we want to offer him another contract or use the money more cost-effectively. Not sure what exactly has happened Gilroy but he might be worth keeping around as the younger players build experience. Would certainly like to see others taking his minutes on the wing anyway after Baloucoune comes back - McIlroy and Sexton from the academy, or even Moxham/Postlewaithe in the sub academy.

Suggestions on T'Other Forum Cooney to France next season. Wouldn't be a surprise. No real international honours in the offing.

Suggestions on T'Other Forum Cooney to France next season. Wouldn't be a surprise. No real international honours in the offing.

Saw that last night, is that poster reliable? I usually wait on KOTH to post something before believing it

Saw that last night, is that poster reliable? I usually wait on KOTH to post something before believing it

Dunno. Hope not obviously, but couldn't begrudge him. Would be less concerned if we could keep a hold of Mathewson.

• Advertisement

This is not how I wanted to see out 2020, if someone hears some Stockdale news just wait until 2021 to post it.

I understand it from Cooney's perspective, last chance to make a big payday probably and he doesn't seem to have an international future no matter how well he plays.

But we'll be in an awful lot of trouble without Cooney and Coetzee, by far our best players over the last few seasons and managed to drag us through the European group stages and to a pro14 final. The more I think about it, Coetzee is probably more easily replaced. The money he's rumored to be one could be spent on a decent NIQ and hopefully a decent backrower from down south. But our options at 9 are horrific and I'm not really sure what quality options would be available.

Advertisement