Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I see Callum Reid has returned to Ulster. Wonder what's going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭launish116

Whereas comparatively speaking, our backs breeze into the senior squad - Hume, Lowry, Baloucoune, Lyttle can all be relied on at European level (with Bobby B being first choice) and lads like McIlory and Sexton starting to surface already.

Don’t get me wrong the Academy has definitely progressed. Though there is no excuse anymore for forwards not progressing! If this current uptake don’t progress we’re going to have serious issues going forwards. If they haven’t found the answer/solution now, not sure we ever will. I look at Munster, who really seem to be getting their act together.

There was some good names on that list, albeit some PR hype though. Even still the lack of exposure is very evident compared to other provinces.

Hopefully with this big lead early in the season, we have more freedom to explore in later half. Historically when we want to throw in youth we have had must win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I see Callum Reid has returned to Ulster. Wonder what's going on there.

Was only reported as a 6 week loan deal at the time so timelines would add up I guess

Was only reported as a 6 week loan deal at the time so timelines would add up I guess

Didn’t one of their looseheads return from injury literally as he moved down as well?

launish116 wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong the Academy has definitely progressed. Though there is no excuse anymore for forwards not progressing! If this current uptake don’t progress we’re going to have serious issues going forwards. If they haven’t found the answer/solution now, not sure we ever will. I look at Munster, who really seem to be getting their act together.

There was some good names on that list, albeit some PR hype though. Even still the lack of exposure is very evident compared to other provinces.

Hopefully with this big lead early in the season, we have more freedom to explore in later half. Hysterically when we want to throw in youth we have had must win games.

I did wonder... if things continue as they are, we are going to have some dead rubbers towards the end of this season.

No of games:
    H & A against rest of conference: 10 matches
    H & A against other conference provinces: 4 matches
    H or A against the other conference teams: 4 matches

So 18 matches; with a total league points available of 18 x 5 = 90

We currently have played 8 games, with 38/40 points (bloody hell), so have 50 points left available
    Ospreys (closest non-qualifying team) have played 7 games, with 13/35 points, so have 55 points left available.

I know we have tougher inter-pros coming up, but assuming we don’t go on a run of 0 points per game, it won’t be long before we are uncatchable. Awful news for the league, great news for us.

Leaving aside the racing certainty that we’ll see Allison, Rea Jr and other weans against Leinster… it won’t be too long before we can field whoever we want because the results won’t matter.

I don’t think Dan thinks that way (although he is fairly pragmatic), and I don’t think he’s going to write off trying to catch Leinster just yet.

Still, when we know we’re safe, I’d expect to see Coetzee a lot less.

• Advertisement

I know we have tougher inter-pros coming up, but assuming we don’t go on a run of 0 points per game, it won’t be long before we are uncatchable. Awful news for the league, great news for us.

Leaving aside the racing certainty that we’ll see Allison, Rea Jr and other weans against Leinster… it won’t be too long before we can field whoever we want because the results won’t matter.

I don’t think Dan thinks that way (although he is fairly pragmatic), and I don’t think he’s going to write off trying to catch Leinster just yet.

Still, when we know we’re safe, I’d expect to see Coetzee a lot less.

I really don’t think these Inter-pros are going to go well. That really is a long set of 7 games.

But following that if we can get to a stage were we’re uncatchable I hope we’ll start exploring a little more.

Like you say if we’re in a good position. Would expect Coetzee to be rotated/rested a lot more ready for knock out rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Just googled Andrew to see how old he is. 27. If he continues like this, no reasons he shouldn't get a cap.

Is he big enough?

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Is he big enough?

He’s taller/slightly heavier than Richardt Strauss and he got capped 17 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

He’s taller/slightly heavier than Richardt Strauss and he got capped 17 times.

And nowhere near as good.

bayern wrote: »

Well, I suppose if Strauss (from the couple of years when he was good, before his form dropped off a cliff and he disappeared) travels forward in time and arrives now, Andrew won't get ahead of him.

• Advertisement

bayern wrote: »

Is he anyworse than Keheller currently? Good work rate, mobile and at least his darts are on form. Though we all accept Keheller is ahead of him...

Is he anyworse than Keheller currently? Good work rate, mobile and at least his darts are on form. Though we all accept Keheller is ahead of him...

Kelleher is better, but he's second choice.

I just think he is playing some great rugby, and there's not many performing better than him. It's hardly like he's some over-hyped youngster. I've gone from thinking he's a bit of a journeyman to a really good player, based entirely on the fact that he's delivering brilliantly for his province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

James Tracy is capped, so it's not unthinkable for Andrew to pick up a game after a couple of injuries.

Continued game time has really helped Andrew. This time last year we’d all expected McBurney to be pushing on and leap frogging Andrew. Really hasn’t happened.

Continued game time has really helped Andrew. This time last year we’d all expected McBurney to be pushing on and leap frogging Andrew. Really hasn’t happened.

You only need to go back to the resumption of rugby a couple of months ago, to find posts from me saying we need to focus on McBurney and let him have a proper crack.

Apparently Andrew has spoken about changing his mentality this season - not worrying about the overall picture and stressing about where he is in the pecking order, but instead focussing on his own game. Has reaped serious dividends.

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had Andrew down as a player who was just going to be seeing out his time at Ulster, but he is proving me wrong.

McBurney could do with a kick up the arse it seems.

You only need to go back to the resumption of rugby a couple of months ago, to find posts from me saying we need to focus on McBurney and let him have a proper crack.

Apparently Andrew has spoken about changing his mentality this season - not worrying about the overall picture and stressing about where he is in the pecking order, but instead focussing on his own game. Has reaped serious dividends.

McBurney came from a lot of hype at U20 and hasn’t really had the continuity to build on it. He seems to have regressed a little. As you say Andrew has become focussed and pushed on (pleased for him).

Be worried for McBurney, could find the academy on his hails next season, not to mention will there be further punts on Brad Roberts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

McBurney came from a lot of hype at U20 and hasn’t really had the continuity to build on it. He seems to have regressed a little. As you say Andrew has become focussed and pushed on (pleased for him).

Be worried for McBurney, could find the academy on his hails next season, not to mention will there be further punts on Brad Roberts.

Both academy players still very young - u19 and u20 this year. Tom Stewart picked up a bad injury so he has that to sort out but he's a very handy player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

F*** sake

bilston wrote: »
    F*** sake

Was that previous knee he had issues with?

• Advertisement

Hopefully nothing too major. Really need him back for Europe

Hopefully nothing too major. Really need him back for Europe

Completely different tournament without him! Fingers crossed!

Was that previous knee he had issues with?

Trying to remember...possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Both academy players still very young - u19 and u20 this year. Tom Stewart picked up a bad injury so he has that to sort out but he's a very handy player.

What is his injury?

https://youtu.be/rLGXcKYqw-0

Interview with D McF about Europe.

No real revelations. Non-committal about whether Stockdale goes into FB when he comes back.

https://youtu.be/rLGXcKYqw-0

Interview with D McF about Europe.

No real revelations. Non-committal about whether Stockdale goes into FB when he comes back.

No brainer surely to put him on the wing...especially if Lyttle is injured...

Option A - 15 Stockdale, 14 Gilroy, 11 Faddes

Option B - 15 Lowry, 14 Faddes, 11 Stockdale

Has to be option B surely...

15 Lowry, 14 Gilroy, 11 Stockdale

Lowrys been to good to drop. Leaves Madigan & Faddes for bench, though think we’ll need 6/2 split. Especially now Henderson likely out.

• Advertisement

I'd have thought so. If Lyttle's able-bodied, he's ahead of Gilroy.

Advertisement