Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Turning point was definitely the Edinburgh disallowed try. It was almost like someone flicked a switch and momentum went from Edinburgh to Ulster. I'd say Cockerill will be livid at his players reaction.

It was a mad sequence of events too. Ulster actually defended the penalty ricochet really well. It was just a horrible bounce but Cooney reacted excellently and would have been first to the ball if the Edi player had been onside from the kick. They had 4 players behind the goals and 2 players watching the posts which they actively did. But definitely a little lesson here and they might deploy some players in the wider channels where the ball ended up (even though I don't think we will see a situation like this for years)

Thought it was harsh on Edinburgh, in fairness their players didn’t exactly rush up after the ball. Almost thought they slowed down expecting the conversion and then sprinted after bounce. Letter of law offside, albeit if they started a metre back they’d probably still made it.
    Poor ol Jordi had an absolute night to forget. Shocking handling on display.

One to forget for Jordi, just compiling errors! Heats definitely on. Really noticed McCanns mobility once on.
    Sexton was visibly nervous. One poor handling error, one on coming crossfield he really should have taken and one incoming he just didn't put a name on. He had a lovely strong carry at one stage. I nearly feel Ulster should have just released him early. There were 2 examples I can think of where they tried to either draw and give or just took contact themselves. If they just pivoted to Sexton I feel that his pace would have gotten serious rewards. If nothing else it would have been a good settler for him and his confidence.

Nervous old start for him, didn’t look overly confident in retreat/defence. In agreement first match nerves are now gone and hopefully he can kick on. Ulster didn’t really play to his skills, was hoping for few more kicks or passing him into space.
    It just warmed my heart to see the reaction from the entire team when Bradley got his lovely poach. Such encouragement and surely a moment he will never forget

Really did seem like the hole team were behind him. His turnover was very good and a great boost. Would of loved him to score. Be interesting to know if that scrum they demolished was from his extra ballast/scrummaging or Edinburgh just giving up. He looks like a prop! Makes me wonder what he could do with a full time S&C/coaching set up etc. McBurney be wary!

On another note Thought Warwick didn’t do to bad for a player that hadn’t played since 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    5 wins from that would be a pretty good return.

Yeah it would be.

Equally we could end up with 2 wins!

Time will tell.

Turning point was definitely the Edinburgh disallowed try. It was almost like someone flicked a switch and momentum went from Edinburgh to Ulster. I'd say Cockerill will be livid at his players reaction.

It was a mad sequence of events too. Ulster actually defended the penalty ricochet really well. It was just a horrible bounce but Cooney reacted excellently and would have been first to the ball if the Edi player had been onside from the kick. They had 4 players behind the goals and 2 players watching the posts which they actively did. But definitely a little lesson here and they might deploy some players in the wider channels where the ball ended up (even though I don't think we will see a situation like this for years)

Poor ol Jordi had an absolute night to forget. Shocking handling on display.

Sexton was visibly nervous. One poor handling error, one on coming crossfield he really should have taken and one incoming he just didn't put a name on. He had a lovely strong carry at one stage. I nearly feel Ulster should have just released him early. There were 2 examples I can think of where they tried to either draw and give or just took contact themselves. If they just pivoted to Sexton I feel that his pace would have gotten serious rewards. If nothing else it would have been a good settler for him and his confidence.

I think you might be talking about a move off a scrum (or maybe a lineout) on the right, Faddes popped up in midfield from depth and I was thinking "throw a skip pass to Sexton", instead he gave it to Lowry who then cut in (correct decision because the Edinburgh defence had shuffled across by this time). If Sexton had got it straight away the cover may have been there, but it would have been a good settler for him and as you say his pace may have brought rewards anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

launish116 wrote: »
    Thought it was harsh on Edinburgh, in fairness their players didn’t exactly rush up after the ball. Almost thought they slowed down expecting the conversion and then sprinted after bounce. Letter of law offside, albeit if they started a metre back they’d probably still made it.

Ach, no - you'd two players at least four or five feet ahead of Chamberlain when he kicked it.

Ach, no - you'd two players at least four or five feet ahead of Chamberlain when he kicked it.

Ye am not debating that they were in front. Just thought it was harsh and was a timing issue.

They sprinted past him early, then slowed down expecting the conversion. When it bounced they started sprinting again. Was just thinking realistically if they kept their initial pace they’d been there pretty much waiting. Still off side an called correct.

Thought Dan’s comments were interesting almost suggesting the analyst had passed word to raise the issue with ref!

• Advertisement

I think I did this last week...for the backs anyway...

But team for Toulouse?

There are two or three tight calls. Hopefully Billy is fit!

15 Mike Lowry
    14 Matt Faddes
    13 Stewart Moore
    12 Stuart McCloskey
    11 Jacob Stockdale
    10 Billy Burns (if fit)
    9 John Cooney
    1 Eric O'Sullivan
    2 Rob Herring
    3 Marty Moore
    4 Iain Henderson
    5 Sam Carter
    6 Matty Rea
    7 Sean Reidy
    8 Marcel Coetzee

Anyone think different to that?

Moore v Hume is the tightest call..Hume may get the nod given he has played 13 and Moore has been playing 12...but as highly as I rate Hume, I'm coming to the conclusion that Moore is headed to the very top.

Faddes vs Lyttle is close...not sure, can't call that, but then Lyttle may not be fit.

Think Hume pinch’s it on defensive merit and experience. But it’s hard not to agree, Moore is on the up and continued game time has really helped!

Just looked at Toulouse’s team, god their pack is huge. Could of really done with McGrath/Milasonicich having a continued run of game time last few weeks.

With above team, what we thinking bench wise?
    Mathewson be nailed on.

1) EOS
    2) Herring
    3) Marty Moore
    4) Henderson
    5) Carter
    6) Rea Sr
    7) Reidy
    8) Coetzee
    9) Cooney
    10) Burns
    11) Stockdale
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume (hardest position to defend - only reason I'd worry about Moore, but it's enough)
    14) Lyttle
    15) Lowry

16) McGrath (McCall if still injured)
    17) Andrew
    18) Milosinavich (O'Toole hasn't had enough gametime - regrettable but it would be madness to have to bring him on early after an injury)
    19) AOC
    20) Timoney / Rea Jr
    21) Mathewson
    22) Madigan
    23) Faddes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ulster A will face Munster A (Saturday December 12, Kingspan Stadium) and Connacht A (Friday December 18, Galway Sportsground) over the European weekends

16) McGrath (McCall if still injured)
    17) Andrew
    18) Milosinavich (O'Toole hasn't had enough gametime - regrettable but it would be madness to have to bring him on early after an injury)
    19) AOC
    20) Timoney / Rea Jr
    21) Mathewson
    22) Madigan
    23) Faddes

Really wish McGrath was injury free and had fitness/form. Could really do with his weight in the scrum for first half! That’s a very big Toulouse pack.

Would also like a 6/2 split, but with Burns potentially carrying an injury! Very risky.

• Advertisement

Really wish McGrath was injury free and had fitness/form. Could really do with his weight in the scrum for first half! That’s a very big Toulouse pack.

Would also like a 6/2 split, but with Burns potentially carrying an injury! Very risky.

6/2 split... I know what you mean. Tough to make it work, though.

If you were happy to have Lowry covering ten, which I probably would...although Madigan has so much experience, and we saw the value of that in the semi against Edinburgh.

If Addison were fit, he could play at FB and cover centre and you could have Mathewson and Lowry as the only backs on the bench. Not much of a solution with him laid up with a sore back, I realise.

6/2 split... I know what you mean. Tough to make it work, though.

If you were happy to have Lowry covering ten, which I probably would...although Madigan has so much experience, and we saw the value of that in the semi against Edinburgh.

If Addison were fit, he could play at FB and cover centre and you could have Mathewson and Lowry as the only backs on the bench. Not much of a solution with him laid up with a sore back, I realise.

Part of me thinks Burns won’t be fit!

On that basis Madigan starts and Lowry is cover whilst starting at 15. Leaves Mathewson & Faddes for cover. Though Faddes was eager last night, he fell off far to many tackles.

Toulouse just have size and power everywhere.

Never thought I’d say it but I’d probably have Murphy/Jones on bench with Rea Jnr told to empty tank for 60mins.

Just thinking about that... which of our backs covers what?

Primarily Flyhalf
    Billy Burns - 10
    Madigan - 10, 12, 15
    Bill Johnston - 10

Primarily Left Wing (11)
    Stockdale - 11, 15
    Lyttle - 11, 14 (break glass 15)

Primarily Inside Centre
    McCloskey - 12
    Moore - 12, 13
    Curtis - 10 (still?), 12

Primarily Outside Centre
    Marshall - 12, 13
    Hume - 12, 13

Primarily Right Wing (14)
    Baloucoune - 14
    Faddes - 11, 13, 14
    Gilroy - 11, 14 (break glass 15)

Primarily Full Back
    Addison - 11, 13, 14, 15
    Lowry - 10, 15
    Ludik - 11, 13, 14, 15
    McIlroy - 11, 14, 15

Folks in italics injured. Very roughly in pecking order.

Part of me thinks Burns won’t be fit!

On that basis Madigan starts and Lowry is cover whilst starting at 15. Leaves Mathewson & Faddes for cover. Though Faddes was eager last night, he fell off far to many tackles.

Toulouse just have size and power everywhere.

Never thought I’d say it but I’d probably have Murphy/Jones on bench with Rea Jnr told to empty tank for 60mins.

Jones injured, Murphy I'm sick of to be honest. Glad for him that he got a try last night, but he really has to up his game. Timoney is a good shout for when the game opens up - no great shales at the breakdown, but great speed.

Jones injured, Murphy I'm sick of to be honest. Glad for him that he got a try last night, but he really has to up his game. Timoney is a good shout for when the game opens up - no great shales at the breakdown, but great speed.

Just thought Jones seemed to offer more in his last outing. Hopefully injury isn’t serious, didn’t rate him but he showed potential now. Timoney hype has kinda went flat.

Had a look at packs briefly (ultimate rugby bios, maybe not the most accurate)

Toulouse could be in around 933kg’ish
    Ulster 899kg’ish

Just thought Jones seemed to offer more in his last outing. Hopefully injury isn’t serious, didn’t rate him but he showed potential now. Timoney hype has kinda went flat.

Had a look at packs briefly (ultimate rugby bios, maybe not the most accurate)

Toulouse could be in around 933kg’ish
    Ulster 899kg’ish

Could get ugly. On the other hand, aren't we trying to play as a fast, high-skill pack? Tip-ons, off-loads, support lines. And I think all the time with our forwards trying to get over the line from a couple of metres out is about preparing us to be able to play the grizzled close-in game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just thinking about that... which of our backs covers what?

Primarily Flyhalf
    Billy Burns - 10
    Madigan - 10, 12, 15
    Bill Johnston - 10

Primarily Left Wing (11)
    Stockdale - 11, 15
    Lyttle - 11, 14 (break glass 15)

Primarily Inside Centre
    McCloskey - 12
    Moore - 12, 13
    Curtis - 10 (still?), 12

Primarily Outside Centre
    Marshall - 12, 13
    Hume - 12, 13

Primarily Right Wing (14)
    Baloucoune - 14
    Faddes - 11, 13, 14
    Gilroy - 11, 14 (break glass 15)

Primarily Full Back
    Addison - 11, 13, 14, 15
    Lowry - 10, 15
    Ludik - 11, 13, 14, 15
    McIlroy - 11, 14, 15

Folks in italics injured. Very roughly in pecking order.

faddes spent plenty of time at 15 for the highlanders

Could get ugly. On the other hand, aren't we trying to play as a fast, high-skill pack? Tip-ons, off-loads, support lines. And I think all the time with our forwards trying to get over the line from a couple of metres out is about preparing us to be able to play the grizzled close-in game.

Aye agree with your comment few weeks back, re. Scrummaging. Last night looked like a practice run for lineouts and rolling mauls, albeit not much of a challenge in air.

Definitely perfecting our all round game.

Meant to say...Stockdale's passing game is a new development! It would be nice see Ulster somehow deploy that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

He's spot on there. Sexton isn't the 'natural' player that many of our recent back three players are - Stockdale, Lowry, McIlory and Lyttle all looked most assured players coming through. He's tall and exceptionally quick, but he looks like a work in progress having missed out on on minutes due to injury, the pandemic and sevens. Plenty of patience is needed, but he's a good player with great intangible's and should improve given time. Baloucoune strikes me as someone we've brought through recently who's game didn't look as 'natural' as others in the beginning, but has come on leaps and bounds after he got game time.

Great to see John Andrew getting the praise he deserves, he's been on a fantastic run of form recently.

Just googled Andrew to see how old he is. 27. If he continues like this, no reasons he shouldn't get a cap.

Also, his mates are having some fun on Wikipedia:

"He is also known for his acting turn in the 2018/19 season online promo for Liam Connolly freight which featured the first recorded instance of his now trade mark finger point, short delay then exclamation of “Forward”! "

Some boredom and quick review of the players in the last few years playing U20 back row, including typical position played and current senior caps:

Alex Soroka (6 position) 0 caps
    Sean O’Brien (7) 0
    Mark Hernan (7) 0
    David McCann (8) 2

Brian Deeny (8) 0
    Ronan Watters (7) 0
    Ryan Baird (6) 14
    Allison Azzur (8) 1

CIaran Booth (8)
    Martin Maloney (6) 0
    Scott Penny (7) 19
    John Hodnett (8) 5

Jack Daly (6) 1?
    Mathew Agnew (7) 0
    Calean Doris (8) 34
    Joe Dunlavy (6) 0
    Aaron Hall (6) 1?

Jack O’Sullivan (6) 11
    Sean Materson (6) 5
    Paul Boyle (7) 44
    Mathew Dalton (6) 9[/I]

John Foley (6) ?
    Gavin Coombes (6) 22
    Marcus Rea (6) 3
    Cillian Gallagher (6) 15

Greg Jones (6) 18
    David Aspil (7) 0
    Max Deegan (8) 65
    Coral Boomer (?) 0
    Kevin Browne (?) 0
    Will Connors (7) 21
    Dan Walsh (7) 0

Comparing apples & oranges but since 2016 Ulster have given approx 34 caps, 18 to Jones, 9 to Dalton who has now vanished. Then you have players with more individual caps than our squad combined:
      Max Deegan 65
      Paul Boyle 44
      Calaen Doris 34

Isn’t great reading, but the talent is there and integration has started. Going forward Academy and young integration is going to be key, though already slightly behind.

***obviously there will be a few other players in academy’s that didn’t make U20 squad. Caps/positions etc. May vary. Some players have played in two years.

Some boredom and quick review of the players in the last few years playing U20 back row, including typical position played and current senior caps:

Alex Soroka (6 position) 0 caps
    Sean O’Brien (7) 0
    Mark Hernan (7) 0
    David McCann (8) 2

Brian Deeny (8) 0
    Ronan Watters (7) 0
    Ryan Baird (6) 14
    Allison Azzur (8) 1

CIaran Booth (8)
    Martin Maloney (6) 0
    Scott Penny (7) 19
    John Hodnett (8) 5

Jack Daly (6) 1?
    Mathew Agnew (7) 0
    Calean Doris (8) 34
    Joe Dunlavy (6) 0
    Aaron Hall (6) 1?

Jack O’Sullivan (6) 11
    Sean Materson (6) 5
    Paul Boyle (7) 44
    Mathew Dalton (6) 9[/I]

John Foley (6) ?
    Gavin Coombes (6) 22
    Marcus Rea (6) 3
    Cillian Gallagher (6) 15

Greg Jones (6) 18
    David Aspil (7) 0
    Max Deegan (8) 65
    Coral Boomer (?) 0
    Kevin Browne (?) 0
    Will Connors (7) 21
    Dan Walsh (7) 0

Comparing apples & oranges but since 2016 Ulster have given approx 34 caps, 18 to Jones, 9 to Dalton who has now vanished. Then you have players with more individual caps than our squad combined:
      Max Deegan 65
      Paul Boyle 44
      Calaen Doris 34

Isn’t great reading, but the talent is there and integration has started. Going forward Academy and young integration is going to be key, though already slightly behind.

***obviously there will be a few other players in academy’s that didn’t make U20 squad. Caps/positions etc. May vary. Some players have played in two years.

Boomer in 2016 was Ulster I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Coral Boomer is an outstanding name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Coral Boomer is an outstanding name

HE'D BE GOOD AT REEFING.....:eek::confused::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

jacothelad wrote: »
    HE'D BE GOOD AT REEFING.....:eek::confused::D;)

ok Boomer

Disappointing none of our 2018 crew worked out.

Disappointing none of our 2018 crew worked out.

Few on that list had a lot of hype to never materialise! Makes you wonder hot air or poor man management.

• Advertisement

Few on that list had a lot of hype to never materialise! Makes you wonder hot air or poor man management.

Whereas comparatively speaking, our backs breeze into the senior squad - Hume, Lowry, Baloucoune, Lyttle can all be relied on at European level (with Bobby B being first choice) and lads like McIlory and Sexton starting to surface already.

Advertisement