Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

UR are starting to screen underage players again this month. Considering these kids have had no action since Easter this is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Henderson, Burns and Rob Lyttle have been ruled out of this weekends match.https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1335951882595016704?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

500 fans allowed on Friday.

Clegg wrote: »
    Henderson, Burns and Rob Lyttle have been ruled out of this weekends match.https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1335951882595016704?s=09

Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭launish116

Clegg wrote: »

That’s a big blow! That Toulouse pack be licking their lips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Missing out first choice 4, 10, 13, 14 and 15. Big ask this weekend.

We might be lucky Toulouse might focus on the Top 14.....they did send a strong side away at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yikes, that injury news is brutal.

Before McFarland came along, there had been a few questions asked about how good Peel really was. Once the forwards started to improve, we saw what he was bringing.

Good coach, great fella, wish him all the best and hopefully he finishes having won some silverware...?

Would love to get an absolutely top-flight attack coach in now.

• Advertisement

Anyway, my Patented Bonus-Point Winning Team Selection for Saturday:

1) EOS
    2) Herring
    3) Moore
    4) Carter
    5) AOC
    6) Rea
    7) Reidy
    8) Coetzee
    9) Cooney
    10) Madigan
    11) Stockdale
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) Gilroy
    15) Lowry

16) McGrath
    17) Andrew
    18) O'Toole
    19) DOC
    20) Rea Jr
    21) Timoney
    22) Mathewson
    23) Faddes

That's a 6/2 spilt, which I think we went with before?

Tough on Andrew. To be honest, if he started, with Herring springing as super-sub, I'd have no issue. We need maturity and leadership in the last twenty minutes of the game - before we had Mathewson and Madigan, a lack of quality from the bench is what did for us in games like the Leinster European QF.

O'Toole may not be fit, in which case Milasinovich is on the bench.

I have Faddes on the bench because of his versatility and, to be honest, his discipline concerns me. He's currently on better form than Gilroy, but Gilroy isn't a yellow card magnet.

Murphy I've lost faith in. Would be perfectly happy to see Jones in there for Timoney or ReaJea. Or even McCann.

Hume is in instead of Moore because he has more experience defending that 13 channel.

Pretty much agree bar minor few changes

1) EOS McGrath ain’t overly fit rather he start and burn out
    2) Herring Andrew starts with Herring on early second half
    3) Moore
    4) Carter
    5) AOC
    6) Rea
    7) Reidy
    8) Coetzee
    9) Cooney
    10) Madigan
    11) Stockdale
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) Gilroy
    15) Lowry

16) McGrath EOS add impact and mobility
    17) Andrew Herring add impact
    18) O'Toole Milasinovichs ballast,save O’Toole for next game
    19) DOC
    20) Rea Jr Murphy ain’t playing best, but big game experience
    21) Timoney Jones, think he offers more
    22) Mathewson
    23) Faddes

Tend to agree, 6/2 split is a must though risky. Huge Toulouse pack and lack of senior 2nd row cover. Lowry covers 10 and fades covers centre/wing. Think forwards need to be told to leave everything out there first half then bring on bench early.

launish116 wrote: »

Good luck to him...makes sense for him to go back to Wales. Be interesting to see how we replace him.

I'd start Faddes over Gilroy and I'd probably go for a traditional 5/3 sit on the bench with Moore in there, or if we do 6/2, I'd still have Moore there with no 10 on the bench as Lowry can cover that and Faddes can cover 15.

Pretty much agree bar minor few changes

1) EOS McGrath ain’t overly fit rather he start and burn out
    2) Herring Andrew starts with Herring on early second half
    3) Moore
    4) Carter
    5) AOC
    6) Rea
    7) Reidy
    8) Coetzee
    9) Cooney
    10) Madigan
    11) Stockdale
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) Gilroy
    15) Lowry

16) McGrath EOS add impact and mobility
    17) Andrew Herring add impact
    18) O'Toole Milasinovichs ballast,save O’Toole for next game
    19) DOC
    20) Rea Jr Murphy ain’t playing best, but big game experience
    21) Timoney Jones, think he offers more
    22) Mathewson
    23) Faddes

Tend to agree, 6/2 split is a must though risky. Huge Toulouse pack and lack of senior 2nd row cover. Lowry covers 10 and fades covers centre/wing. Think forwards need to be told to leave everything out there first half then bring on bench early.

I get your logic everywhere - the only thing I'd quibble with is Murphy. He's just not performing.

I get your logic everywhere - the only thing I'd quibble with is Murphy. He's just not performing.

Murphy has literally fallen of a cliff, last week was dire! Just think he offers a little more, if even some smarts, albeit not a lot more presently.

Think I’m more excited to hear about the A team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Before McFarland came along, there had been a few questions asked about how good Peel really was. Once the forwards started to improve, we saw what he was bringing.

Good coach, great fella, wish him all the best and hopefully he finishes having won some silverware...?

Would love to get an absolutely top-flight attack coach in now.

With so many young backs coming through at Ulster it will be particularly crucial for their development.

I wonder would Jason O'Halloran (ex Glasgow) be a good choice?
    He's coaching in Japan now

Telegraph thinks some rejigging with Payne or Soper potentially. Or even a return of Doak, he wasn’t a great head coach, but can’t fault his attack play.

Hopefully Dan has the final say and gets who he wants.

A lot of fans pushing Pienarr to return, would love him to come and help with academy not straight into seniors.

Telegraph thinks some rejigging with Payne or Soper potentially. Or even a return of Doak, he wasn’t a great head coach, but can’t fault his attack play.

Hopefully Dan has the final say and gets who he wants.

A lot of fans pushing Pienarr to return, would love him to come and help with academy not straight into seniors.

Pienaar is a mighty Ulsterman and I love him, but I don't want an untested coach learning his trade at Ulster, given we are in a strong place with our playing squad at the moment. I want top-flight coaches getting us over the line for silverware.

I will never get this facile assumption that a great player will make a great coach. It has proven to demonstrably false with POC, no matter the hero-worship that surrounds him, and I have zero reason to imagine Pienaar will be some genius-level coach. It has worked out for us with Payne, and I'd say we shouldn't ride our luck any more.

Ability ≠ knowledge ≠ ability to teach

• Advertisement

Pienaar is a mighty Ulsterman and I love him, but I don't want an untested coach learning his trade at Ulster, given we are in a strong place with our playing squad at the moment. I want top-flight coaches getting us over the line for silverware.

I will never get this facile assumption that a great player will make a great coach. It has proven to demonstrably false with POC, no matter the hero-worship that surrounds him, and I have zero reason to imagine Pienaar will be some genius-level coach. It has worked out for us with Payne, and I'd say we shouldn't ride our luck any more.

Ability ≠ knowledge ≠ ability to teach

Definitely think the academy be a start for him, saying that looking at how many coaches we have had who played 9, bit of a disgrace no real scrum half talent has come through before now.

Hopefully Dan has someone lined up. Seemed a bit odd to announce Peels departure just before Euro match.

Imagine we'll be looking for a new major sponsor soon, the way things are going, and back to playing at Ravenhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Imagine we'll be looking for a new major sponsor soon, the way things are going, and back to playing at Ravenhill.

We never stopped playing at Ravenhill Paul!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    We never stopped playing at Ravenhill Paul!!

TRUFAX.

But I wonder if they'll have the change back the signs to the stadium soon...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-fire-inquiry-insulation-firm-kingspan-b1768224.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

TRUFAX.

But I wonder if they'll have the change back the signs to the stadium soon...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-fire-inquiry-insulation-firm-kingspan-b1768224.html

Seen that recently. Not a good look.

however we are tied into a 10 year contract with them....until 2024.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Seen that recently. Not a good look.

however we are tied into a 10 year contract with them....until 2024.

I'm sure they'd have clauses that allow them to get out if there's a storm of bad PR.

I'm sure they'd have clauses that allow them to get out if there's a storm of bad PR.

Possibly, but money talks, who would jump in and take over? Can’t imagine to many firms in this current climate rushing to sponsor teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Possibly, but money talks, who would jump in and take over? Can’t imagine to many firms in this current climate rushing to sponsor teams.

Had to go googling but found that the 10year deal is worth £5mil

so £500k per year (depending how it is paid)

Couldn't find any figures for comparison i.e. Musgrave Park, Welford Road or Sale Sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rory McIlroy Park

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy Park

Could write it off as charity.

Advertisement