Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer (Dublin) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snigiollarua

Eod100 wrote: »
    For anyone who wasn't assigned a specific department on the day, did ye hear since where you got?

Yes about two weeks later was told guarda síochána but haven't heard anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hopefullawyer

Do ye think that there are any campaigns coming for CO or TCO in the later part of this year? I only kind of figured out that I'd like to work in a department in the last few months and it seems that I have missed a lot of recent campaigns!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yes about two weeks later was told guarda síochána but haven't heard anything since

Did you get asked to do further Garda vetting for AGS or anything?

Do ye think that there are any campaigns coming for CO or TCO in the later part of this year? I only kind of figured out that I'd like to work in a department in the last few months and it seems that I have missed a lot of recent campaigns!

Not sure is the honest answer. I'd see keep an eye on the PAS site and maybe sign up for the email alerts so you don't miss anything. The window to apply can be quite tight at times to can be easy to miss out in fairness. May be next year before there's another one but good thing about civil service is it will come back up again. Especially with retirements over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coffeesiphon

So I'm quite torn at the moment, I'd say I only have till tomorrow till I have to decide on whether to take 6k pay cut and take a position in foreign affairs or stay with current employer.

The main appeal of the service is career opportunities and benefits, just to bad I'm saving for a mortgage at the moment so it's conflicting.

What would anyone here do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

So I'm quite torn at the moment, I'd say I only have till tomorrow till I have to decide on whether to take 6k pay cut and take a position in foreign affairs or stay with current employer.

The main appeal of the service is career opportunities and benefits, just to bad I'm saving for a mortgage at the moment so it's conflicting.

What would anyone here do?

Take the state job..... guaranteed permanence.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coffeesiphon

Take the state job..... guaranteed permanence.

Well that seals it so, 9/10 people I talked to said take it, taking the plunge, thanks.

Well that seals it so, 9/10 people I talked to said take it, taking the plunge, thanks.

Other thing is the pay increments are every year and there's chance for internal and external promotion too. Flexi time a handy perk too. Best of luck!

Not an easy decision to make - congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Younger brother interviewed and was offered a position with Revenue today. Anyone any idea where main Revenue locations would be in Dublin? he was shocked to be offered position there and then so never thought to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Younger brother interviewed and was offered a position with Revenue today. Anyone any idea where main Revenue locations would be in Dublin? he was shocked to be offered position there and then so never thought to ask!

Dublin castle, ports

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clarenceworley

Son interviewed today and got a letter saying he was successful but did not get an offer unlike the previous poster? Said agriculture were there trying to drum up interest in their jobs in the port.

Anyone know why some successful applicants got offers there and then and others didn’t?

( his interview was the last of the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

There’s a office on Mount St D2 near Merrion square, Navan Rd beside the halfway house, santry, could also be allocated to customs a division of revenue. If thats the case he could get port or airport or an office in blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LittleMissRed

Son interviewed today and got a letter saying he was successful but did not get an offer unlike the previous poster? Said agriculture were there trying to drum up interest in their jobs in the port.

Anyone know why some successful applicants got offers there and then and others didn’t?

( his interview was the last of the day)

My interview was one of the first of the day. I got offered the job on the day but didn’t get assigned to a department. I asked on the day why some people were assigned straight away and some weren’t, and was told it was to do with matching skill sets. They were waiting for positions in relevant departments to become available. I was later assigned to one that corresponded with my experience and interest (An Garda Siochana). I also found out after the day of the interview that I could have expressed interest to the different stands from different departments.

That’s brilliant. Thanks for the info. Congratulations on being successful! My son is over the moon! So are we.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

My interview was one of the first of the day. I got offered the job on the day but didn’t get assigned to a department. I asked on the day why some people were assigned straight away and some weren’t, and was told it was to do with matching skill sets. They were waiting for positions in relevant departments to become available. I was later assigned to one that corresponded with my experience and interest (An Garda Siochana). I also found out after the day of the interview that I could have expressed interest to the different stands from different departments.
    That's great to know because I got the same letter saying I was successful and the agri dept mentioned. I was a bit upset seeing other people got offers on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LittleMissRed

Clarenceworley no problem. Congratulations to your son too!

Galwaygirl00 I was a bit put out when I wasn’t assigned straight away too, that’s why I asked someone why that was. You got an offer so you obviously did well. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

Clarenceworley no problem. Congratulations to your son too!

Galwaygirl00 I was a bit put out when I wasn’t assigned straight away too, that’s why I asked someone why that was. You got an offer so you obviously did well. Congratulations!
    Thanks so much , I appreciate it. Its obviously all down to the dept on the day. Fingers crossed and congrats ��

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ciabris

I was interviewed yesterday morning. After interview I was told to wait in results waiting room. The department of agriculture, food & marine had a stand there and asked would I be interested to work at Dublin Port if I was successful with my interview result. They are seeking to fill a lot of port inspector roles before October for Brexit. After a short wait, I was handed a brown envelope with my interview results - I have been assigned to AGS (an Garda Síochána). Anyone else been assigned to this department?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Got placed in the Department of Child and Youth affairs.

Not exactly where I would have seen myself being placed. Any idea how long it might be before I have to give notice for my current job?

And yeah they had some people from Dublin Port there handing things out looking for people in prep for Brexit. I know a guy who has been in the port for 30+ years so I think Ill give him a ring and ask a few questions about it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Ports awkward in that its shift work and there's little to no public transport options. Also, if hard Brexit does come about, ye will be absolutely flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

I did my interview yesterday afternoon and got the letter saying I passed interview and they would be in touch for placement. Totally delighted. I overheard someone chatting to pas staff in results area and they said that they only had 60 jobs for on the spot that day so everyone after that got that letter, but there is a lot of spots to fill so those successful will be placed pretty soon if they dont want to take the port authority.

By any chance did anyone save the information booklet from back in April that detailed this campaign? I didnt save a copy and just want to read it again. They removed it from the website which is odd. Pretty easy to google and find stuff about other CO comps from previous years but this one they nuked from their servers for whatever reason.

Also any idea how they decided who got what jobs? People beside me in the waiting area got stuff like foreign affairs and the office of Taoiseach and whatnot. Curious how they do it.
    Ports awkward in that its shift work and there's little to no public transport options. Also, if hard Brexit does come about, ye will be absolutely flogged.

Personally I wouldn't mind the shift work. My sleep schedule is messed up anyway so I could make it work. But yeah simply getting to the port would be the main issue. I have some experience is shipping / logistics but not enough to justify 2 hours to the commute each day.

Does anyone reckon there is a point in contacting PAS with a preference for a department? My son would love Revenue. Do you think there would be any harm in giving PAS a call?

Does anyone reckon there is a point in contacting PAS with a preference for a department? My son would love Revenue. Do you think there would be any harm in giving PAS a call?

It wouldn't hurt I guess but the FAQ on the site says

3. Can I choose what Department or office I would like to be assigned to?
    You cannot choose where you will be assigned to. To ensure fairness to all candidates, you will be assigned to the first Department in one of your selected regions to request staff according to your order of merit on the panel.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/faq-info#5-i-ve-accepted-a-job-what-happens-next

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Phhvcc

Was that the last of the interviews? Or will they still be interviewing all the candidates that past the online test?

Apologies, another question! For those who have already been successful, did you get notified of your new department before the Garda clearance or did you have to wait for that to be confined first before finding out where you were headed?

Passed Garda vetting and just need to get a reference. (My manager was on leave so Ill do that next week)

Any idea how long the process might be before I start since I was designated a department on the day of the interview?

I have to give 4 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

Passed Garda vetting and just need to get a reference. (My manager was on leave so Ill do that next week)

Any idea how long the process might be before I start since I was designated a department on the day of the interview?

congrats can i ask you what dep are you going to work?

• Advertisement

Excellent - well done.

Did you let them know you have to give 4 weeks?

With me, the HR from the dept rang me to arrange a suitable start date.

I'd advise you wait until you've have that conversation with your new HR dept. before you had in your notice.

Good luck with it all!
    Tigs.

Advertisement