Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Surely you are mistaken, Stainless steel non hype are protected. Safe as houses. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I have a few searches saved on chrono24 and checked yesterday. An interesting one popped up with box and papers from an Italian dealer at 6250 so I saved it. Just went back in and it's gone but now listed with a Japanese dealer at 8950. Is that normal.

He says it's in stock but no way I got from Italy to Japan overnight and his profile says he has 891 wathes listed.

I've been on chrono for a while but never seriously looking so curious if this is common?

Watch in question

https://chrono24.app/rolex/datejust-ref1601-gray-sigma-dial--id24256311.htm?SETLANG=en_DE&SETCURR=EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fella I know in watchfinder told me they aren’t buying anything at the moment and only taking trades, that’s the first time they’ve blocked buying but it might be just temporary 🤷‍♂️

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Was in the new JLC boutique in Paul Sheehan’s earlier on today..

I’m pretty tempted to potentially sell my DJ41 and pick up this Master Ultra Thin Moon.

Staff in there we’re absolutely lovely- very welcoming & approachable. Big change to going into Weirs where I bought my DJ41 & speedy yet always feel like I’m inconveniencing the staff 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They aren’t offering on much but they will still buy steel Rolex but around retail it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭893bet

Did realise they did the ultra thin in blue. is that steel or gold?

Used to be just black or white in steel. And grey in white gold.

They are yum though and very much my type.

The private market has not yet adjusted but it will come. Getting back to earth is only a good thing for watch people. People who want a watch as they want it to own might just get a look in again if there is no profit to be made.

Omega will take a slaughter but they have pumped RRP so hard the second hand market will still be ok. It’s the market mentally of having paid retail 6 months ago thinking they should get 80-90 percent of that back. Really at best it’s 60 percent. At best.

Important to remember inflation. Despite I think 2 x price rises in the last 12 months the slide continues on the second market while there is 10 percent inflation also at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Yes it’s steel- think the salesperson said that it was a boutique only edition- RRP was €13.8

Went in looking at a reverso and now can’t get that out of my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well this guy's day went south fairly quickly and to the tune of $350k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say that whole video is fake.

i totally agree, anything for clicks

paul thorpe was digging out a female youtuber for selling Rolex ad tips for 200 but he cant talk he's offering a crash course in flipping on his website

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A while back I thought I'd dip through a few of the Paul chap's vids, more to check out a world of watches quite alien to me but then got drawn into his tales of attempted and actual robberies of his shop and him, including been beaten senseless and how the UK police were about as much use as tits on a bull. Now I had heard tales of how useless they could be in things like burglaries and the like, but bloody hell...

He comes across as your ducker and diver type, nearly a stereotype of the English species, 🙂 but seems nice enough to me anyway. Certainly nothing like a certain Irish guy lately of another thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Paul’s early videos are quite good when he’s retelling his old stories but he changed when he started getting sponsored and taking super chats

the story about his som selling fake Rolex was a surprise and then he was selling franken models on eBay using several accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I think Paul is far worse than Oisin .At least Oisin can make a decent watch video occasionally, granted it’s been a while but Paul comes across as the watch dealer version of a dodgy used car salesman.The advertising on his videos is about as classy as timeshare sales from the 90s and his general appearance is a pensioner version of some one from the only way is Essex.Anyone that repeatedly tells you that you can trust them and that they’ll always be honest to you , usually can’t be trusted in any way.

He said at the start he would never advertise 🤣

My not spotting that the video was likely a plant? Nor who it was, is evidence of just how little watch YouTube I watch 🤷‍♀️

I'm currently speccing up a solar PV setup for the house. The lads over on the renewable energy sub have been a great help. The advice offered over there gave me lots of options and more importantly gave me a realistic pricing guide.

If things go the way I want with the installation? I will have 18 panels pointing south and my daily use well covered with a nice surplus to export(well it will be exported until we go EV).

Keep on foddering lads!

Considered chopping this in during the week but just a passing consideration. Def feel like something new but my list of genuine wants is fairly small.

You wot? Nah bruv he is as honest as the day is long innit?

Cab showing us they haven’t a clue about watches again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. Has anybody any good recommendations for leather watch straps. Pricewise up to about 50 euro.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

You could look at Hirsch straps for that sort of price.

Chrono24 have got rid of 65 staff as a result of the slow down in the used watch market

speaking of chrono24 revolut are doing a 2% cashback with them at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

How safe is buying on Chrono 24 ? It’s from a private seller as opposed to a business. If it turns out to be fake or some other issue is it easy to get refund ?

Perfectly safe the money is held until the buyer confirms they are happy with the watch, if it wasn’t safe it wouldn’t have grown to the size it has.

I've only bought on Chrono24 a couple of times but they've been hassle free and straightforward.

Is anyone else but me finding they are rotating watches less and wearing 1 or perhaps 2 the vast majority of the time?

My usual was swap every 3 days or so and spread the love. Now? It's maybe once a week and even then it's usually 1 of 2 watches, my Sinn U2 or my Omega GMT. My others are being a little ignored.

I’ve bought a few on chrono but all from watch dealers and usually new with full warranty stamped and had no issues.This one though is from a private seller so feeling a bit more cautious.

• Advertisement

Special edition…..now with lume.

Advertisement