Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Is the seller a private sale? Or a dealer?

That’s key to the the “getting your money back” aim usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Dropped a watch into local shop for a new battery a while ago. Called in ½ hour later to pick it up & the poor young lad managed to break the stem while opening it up. Anybody know where a replacement stem for a Miyota 2115 can be obtained?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

What kind of battery change was he doing where he had to mess with the crown ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

The kind where you force open a screw down case back. Poor lad was mortified. His boss (father) had plenty to say to him afterwards. The watch was a freebie that fell into my lap & would be grand for work & general mullocking about.

I just don't feel like taking the battery out until Jan 12th @ 6pm to have it set correctly. Theres a picture of the bodge job on the photos thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Belated Happy Christmas lads. I was flying through Frankfurt 2 weeks ago and tried on a Cartier Santos. Absolutely stunning and a watch I'd love. It was coming in at €6.2k after discount and tax back. Used examples are €7k plus on Chrono24, how can it be cheaper new than used?

I have a few irons in the fire at the moment and if one comes good I may pull the trigger on one in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It depends which model it was . There’s a medium for €5750 on adverts at the moment that’s only a few months old.

C24 pricing is fantasy land is the main reason.

But you are getting discount and tax back so not really a like for like used vs new comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Johnny1980

Is it still for sale as that is a great price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm ashamed to say this given how much of an Aviation nerd I am. But, I only got round to watching Topgun Maverick, yesterday.

I was avoiding it because I didn't want my "perfect" memory of the original ruined. I am very happy to report that I am wrong. It is a triumphant popcorn blockbuster that never mind the original TopGun, takes the plot of the original StarWars makes Yoda a 60y.o fighter pilot and explodes in an ending that even without roundels 😉 makes damn sure that everyone knows the Iranians are the baddies.

Brilliant aerial photography, the Val Kilmer scene was both a great call back and a perfect utilisation of him. Did I mention the aerial photography😉

As far as the watches go, the only one that really caught my eye was Hondo's IWC stopwatch. I know that IWC had the watch promo deal but I'm still trying to figure out how Lockheed Martin got the branding deal for the throttle on the Darkstar when the entire mission was flown on Boeing's 🤔

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭traco

Happy New Year all! Hope its a healthy and happy one for everybody.

I agree with banie01 on Maverick, really enjoyable movie and carried over really well. As for the IWC thing I went looking at them on Chrono and there seems to be some with the Top Gun logo on them. The one below is a set with the stopwatch.

https://www.chrono24.com/iwc/iwc-pilots-watch-mark-xviii-top-gun-sfti-set-iw324711--id24830483.htm

That aside I am thinking that I may treat myself to a Rolex this year, looking at the Air-King 5500 or 14000 with white dial. All my current stuff is big with the daddy being the Big Pilot, King Seikos and a big daily hack smart watch. Not sure how a 34mm will sit on the wrist. I know the Air-King isn't the sexy Rolex but I think it would make a nice dress watch and would be very smart on a black leather strap and be a little left field. The new one isn't my style even though I think it looks good its probably a bit flash for me.

So what say y'all on the current market and chrono 24 listing prices, seem to vary from 3-5k. Are people offering list less 20% or more? On something like an older or vintage Air-King would there be more wiggle room than normal? I'm also not sure about the small size but maybe it would make no difference given it will be a dress watch.

I’d suggest you try one on first .34mm is small for any wrist but when your used to a big pilot it’s going to feel like a kids watch on the wrist.I personally don’t see the value in older air kings , theres nothing special about them for me.If small and old is what you’re after what about a 50s gold seamaster?

It’s not just IWC promo for the movie .IWC supply the real world version of Top gun training school and all their watch’s have the top gun logo on them.Only available to students of the training school so very hard to get a legit one.I’ve seen some available but with questionable history.

Oh I know that IWC have a genuine tie in with the school. The tie-in for the movie was IMO quite understated apart from the Stopwatch. I mean Lockheed had more prominent product placement IMO and it's not like anyone of us can rock up to a Lockheed boutique and order a Darkstar,😉 Though... That throttle would look great in a Sim setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Funny that Banie. We sat down to watch Maverick last night and 5 mins in my wife suggested watching the original first, which we did. Have to say, it has aged well. Obviously there's some seriously cheesy lines, but it's still a good watch.

We're going to watch Maverick tonight, will be interesting to see how the two compare back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭traco

Maybe I should get some sub €20 ebay / amazon 34mm and wear it for a bit and see how it feels after a while.

I understand there isn't much value in an Air-King and thats why I was wondering about actual value as opposed to asking. It could be a cheap way of getting a Rolex into the collection just to tick the box as I'm not a Rolex fan per se.

The 114200 in silver is nice as the digits aren't as prominent as on the white dial. Not sure I want to spend that much though as I'd prefer another IWC or a Panerai if I was going up to the higher price points. I'm also thinking that I might find a 5500 King from the year I was born which would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,892 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They also do the retail top gun models (ceramic ) with the top gun case back (and the older versions have it carved into the case side )

The IWC Mojave is I think at least a cracking watch. 1 that also is part of their Top Gun range. Its one that always draws my eye, but never enough to want to risk buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

so Rolex bumped their prices for 2023 after two increase last year, i spotted the rootbeer went up £1k

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Milgauss is up to 9.5k now. they were 8k new when I bought mine from Unkle

It's an interesting tactic. Yea they will still sell boatloads and it indirectly supports the 2nd hand and grey market prices too. Unless and until the demand dries up? They are doing a masterful job at balancing supply, pricing and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You can now buy a milgauss private for retail....demand already dried up, shifting watches is hard these days especially anything expensive and or isoteric. Milgauss is a great watch but they peaked about 9 month ago.

They are taking the opportunity to pump the price under the guise of inflation. Which is bullshit. As the Cogs of a Rolex is probably 1/10 of the price.

With them selling them second hand they can moderate the grey market price. As keeping that high drives AD demand.

High prices are a good thing for everyone on the the train.

Wasn’t there someone here recently talking about being offered a rootbeer from an AD ? Hard pill to swallow if they’ve waited and it’s gone up a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hard to blame Rolex in fairness, if demand is high to the point that grey prices are substantially more than retail - it would probably bother them that customers are willing to pay above current retail and it doesn't go into the company profits. It makes sense they should price watches higher, as rrp is underpriced based on demand.

In non-watch related news. The Mrs had her final dose of Chemo this morning. We worried it might be delayed due to the current pressure on hospital services in UHL. Thankfully, it went ahead ok.

Back in, in about a month to get signed over from medical oncology to the radiological oncology team and a start on her radiotherapy.

The side effects of the chemo have, thankfully not been as bad as we feared, but they are certainly cumulative and worsening over the course. The last few weeks in particular have been rough.

So, we are now ½ way through and less ahead than behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭micks_address

Good to hear banie, the effects of radiation are cumulative as well and continue for about 4 weeks after treatment are finished which we weren't aware of. It's a long road but thankfully results are improving all the time.

Thanks Mick, we thought after the 1st 2 rounds that she'd gotten off lightly but from round 3 on, they really started to pile up.

One thing I'd recommend to anyone who's better half is going thru breast cancer treatment? Is to learn lymphatic massage. An awful lot of our job is standing around waiting whilst our other halves go thru treatment and have quite a lot inflicted upon them with an eye to their greater good.

Lymphoedema is common after a lymph clearance and it's another thing that affects appearance and can knock confidence. There's a pilot project in Limerick where the physio team monitor lymphoedema and prescribe pressure sleeves if its needed.

Knowing that there was something that I could actually contribute to and help her with? Has given me a bit more peace of mind. Improvement is tangible and measurable. 1 of the other things I'd recommend it for, is it keeps a degree of physical connection and closeness that can go out the window during cancer treatment. It's nothing sexual, but very much in comforting, closeness and supportive manner.

My next post will be about watches 😉 I swear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've started eying up a Sinn 105 but didn't realise they were 1700 with shipping on a bracelet or silicone. I was hoping Chrono24 might have a few discounted options but not so much at the minute

Advertisement