Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

For anyone interested I purchased a watch from “the little Green bag” and all is well. Ordered Sunday received today.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i know thorpe can be a bit of a twit but david khalil is showing some lovely watches here

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Question for the folks in the know about TZ-UK forum. I'm a newbie there and while they have a FAQ they don't seem to have a help board or anything like that.

The problem is I can't meaningfully search for posts on the site.

Regardless whether I go through the quick search or the advanced search my search results always come up as a list of threads. Somewhere in those threads there are posts containing my search terms but thats not very helpful especially for big threads.

No problem searching for key words in thread titles cos then you want the threads but searching for posts simply doesn't work for me.

The FAQ says I have the option during search whether I want to search posts or just thread titles and also whether my results should be shown as threads or posts. The former option is there for me but the latter is not. I don't get that choice and results are always threads.

What am I missing? Are my options as a newbie restricted cos post searches are DB costly or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I tend to ignore the search function there and search the site via Google instead. e.g "site:forum.tz-uk.com sinn limited edition car"

A habit that Boards broken search caused to develop for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Exactly that @banie01 😂

Search on tz-uk is brutal but nowhere near as bad as on boards.ie

• Advertisement

I gave up on it years ago! Utterly head wrecking.

I'm spitballing a new watch, well a new to me watch at least. With the wafer thin justification that the young lad has commandeered my Astronaut, and that I still have the hamtun for sale. So surely I'm ok on the 1 in - 1 out front?🤔

It'll be a Chrono and either a Sinn or a 70's Omega speedmaster mk2. If the Speedie was a 79? I'd go with that as i could spin it as a birth year watch.

The other 2 I'm mulling over are both Sinn, 1 is a 155 dark star, the other a funky looking Sinn 303 Mazda edition. The dark star I can probably rule out as I've had a good homage and didn't gel with it, but, it is a Sinn LE and that would play into some kind of sanity with my already owning 2 other LE's?

But that same argument could probably be made for the Sinn 303 Mazda too, not quite an LE but not too many of them about either.

Decisions, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Took a trip into London today to see the Clock Maker's Museum which I didn't get around to last time I was there. Here's more details about it:

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/clockmakers-museum

Free to visit, located in the Science Museum along with many other exhibits to see.

Here's some pictures of the Watches and Clocks on display

Album 1.https://ibb.co/album/Y7yCtw

2.https://ibb.co/album/XXgMpC

3.https://ibb.co/album/pJWz7S

Another part that was of interest to me and I know some on here as well was the Flight exhibit. Some really cool aircraft, including a Me 163 Komet along with engines used in the 262 and He 162

Also got to complete the pictures from my grandfather's honey moon trip to London in 1967

Victoria Memorial

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Hey Banie,

nice line up of possibilities there.

As regards the Speedie Mark II, production only ran from '69 to '72, though they were a slugguish seller so many remained in shops and didn't get sold until much later.

So, if you are going for a birth year watch by production, a '79 non-Moonwatch Speedie Pro would be something like a Mark 4.5.

Thanks for that LD, I actually know next to nothing on the production spam of the MK2 and any info is appreciated.

I'm not currently looking for a birth year watch but, it could and would be used as part of my excuses should the need arise. Maybe for my 50th but that's still more than a few years off 😉

Edit

The Sinn 303 sold, I'd say cheaply too tho it was good value at what it was listed at. So the field is narrowing.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi all,

This is a newly discovered area for me and rather than open a few threads I thought I'd introduce myself first..

Always liked watches, but only recently got into the "Luxury" ones.

Have a Longines and Tag Carrera at the moment and looking at a few new ones.

So far the ones that caught my eye are a Speedy, a Tudor Black Bay and a Tissot PRX. I spotted a few nice Rolex ones, but that's a few years off I'd say!

Any tips or ideas gratefully received!

• Advertisement

Welcome 😁

You already have a nice pair to start off with and you are already succumbing to the virus of "nextwatchitis" 🤣

Some nice ones on your list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

Hey @mik_da_man - good to see you in here 😁

I second @OmegaGene. The seamaster is a fantastic first step into luxury watches. It was my grail watch for a very long time, until I could finally afford one. Was very happy owning it for years - as my only watch! Until some bastards in here started planting the love for Rolex into me. I still don't know how they did it, but they won 😂

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I actually tried one on recently and quite liked it, but I did perfer the Speedmaster.

It's on my hitlist in the mid term I'd say.

My meandering over on Reddit's faker's corner has brought my eye to this.

A fake of the automatic winding module from the Rolex 3235. Now what's catching my isn't the effort that was made by the factories faking this yoke. Rather, it's the fact that not only did they make a decent effort at it, albeit let down by the finishing. It's that the part itself, and much of the entire fake movement are interchangeable with the real thing.

I know Wibbs touched on the problem of vintage Franken-watches and mixed origin pieces particularly older Rolex with cases from Vietnam and fakers matching spec of old stuff. Seeing relatively new stuff being faked to this level? Is as I always end up saying, very worrying for those of us with little knowledge.

If ever the adage of buy the seller needed reinforcement, this should be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

The most important thing here is to notice the total absence of a single movement finishing technique on the genuine movement. Jesus **** Christ they are 10k watches. **** wasting yer money lads. They are making them easy fake anyway.

I ordered myself a Rolex today. Delivery in circa 9 months.

Was thinking that too, the fake almost looks better. If these pics were put in front of me without text I'd probably pick the wrong one as the genuine one.

It's mad isn't it? The grey prices, the waiting lists and the nonsense of relationship building for a stainless steel diver that, and without meaning to sound like a total wanker, is from the example in the photos. Being faked down to the component level and at a level that is easily confused with the real deal.

I'm not a Rolex owner, I probably will flip into one at some stage, but, that would be more for the shout of "I once owned a Rolex" I know some hold that they are are reasonably liquid store of value but, I'd rather have 2/3 good watches at the mo that 1 Rolex that I'd feet over.

And you? On a waitlist for a Rolex? 🤔 With your taste in Haute horology? It must be an Artisans Dé Geneva 😝

Honestly would have the same issue. The fakers are getting to the point (with Rolex at least) that they are becoming very, very hard to spot from the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Speaking of finishing, I noticed this on two watchfinder vids earlier.You would think Patek would finish the under side of the second hand but obviously not , GS snowflake clearly does .

Patek and Rolex are trash. Seiko FTW!

• Advertisement

Trip to specsavers needed for you if you really think that Patek second hand is finished better than the grand seiko.

Oh no, I agree. The Seiko finishing is second to none.

Not that I have an opinion one way or the other but this has my curiosity going now.

How does one judge the under-side finishing of the second hand from those pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

From the reflection on the hand underneath I presume.

Look at the reflection of the underside of the second hand on the minute hand .

The Pateks is unpainted and rough with marks on it. The GS is finished the same as the top side of the hand.

Thanks, and yes there seems to be something on the Patek pic but I can't see a reflection on that Seiko pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I have a near mint condition seamaster for sale if you’re interested. It’s black, ceramic bezel on rubber strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

I suspect it almost suits Rolex that they can be close faked.

The lads that would wear the fakes will never spend 10k anyway so no business lost. And the lads that will are so terrified of being caught that it drives them to AD and reputable dealers. Win win.

Yeah Rolex incoming all going to plan. Image below. guaranteed delivery in 9 months (subject to natural causes) and only cost me 50 quid

(For those lost that is the profile of bull for artificial insemination 😁, used a straw yesterday).

Fair play, not many that would be so ostentatious as to have their new Rolex delivered via limousin 😝

• Advertisement

So no matter what type of Rolex you buy , there’s unsatisfactory riding involved

Advertisement