Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I bought from that seller before, he's sound too. I think he occasionally posts in here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi banie01 hope all is well on the home front.

Try a Google for Nick Hacko. He is a watchmaker in Sydney and had an online watchmaking course a good few years back on a basic Seiko auto movement.

First episode had a list of essential tools. My advice is buy decent Bergeon(?) sppllening, screwdrivers. The tips are replaceable and can be filed to shape. I got most of my stuff on fleabay used before shipping from Uk and USA went bananas.

If you can’t find the course on line get back to me.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just to round out on my moan about the Comms from some in Belfast. Last email from Tim was that he was on hols, back on Monday and would sort me out then unless I wanted it rushed back then he'd pass me over to the office. Told him enjoy the holiday and sort me out when he got back...

Reader... He did not sort me out 🤷‍♂️

I've been in touch and wheels are in motion now. After another poke!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

have been given a watch by my dad of a glycine quartz. he got it in 2002 and been in a drawer for years, local shop changed the battery this morning but nothing happened. is there someone in ireland who could have a look\. its a 2 hander too and am curious about that too.

also given a seiko with a 5m82 kinetic movement which seems to be seized. timemark i think can sort that for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ahhhh

had agreed a deal on a heavily discounted gold globemaster in the wf sale and someone else nabbed it before I completed payment 😞

was very good value imo

@blue5000 thanks for that steer and the Bergeon suggestion. They are pricey enough but if I buy them? Hopefully it'll be a buy right, buy once choice 😉

The saga of my Chrono24 purchase continues. Bought from a lovely guy in Norway, really sound. Unfortunately the new electronic declaration system is the bane of our purchase.

He posted on the 20/7 and to their credit, Norway Post held the package to get the rest of the required customs info before they shipped internationally. Due to this, it didn't leave Norway until the 27th.

When it hit Ireland it was flagged for incomplete electronic info so it is being RTS'd.

Seller is reshipping via UPS when he gets it back in hand. Hopefully that will guarantee that it gets to me this time around.

Yeah its a royal pain the hole.. its mad - i bought a watch Friday from the UK - was shipped Royal mail to my buddy in Antrim and he had it 11am Saturday morning.. impressive services... it will probably take 3 days to get down here... he's posting it down to Dublin.. its not an expensive watch.. if it was id pop up for it... royal mail will max insure 250 pounds to the South...

My usual tactic for UK stuff is similar. My uncle is living in Co. Down and I usually get it shipped to him and then either swing in to him when I'm up that way or have him post it down.

Not as a VAT dodge but honestly as a means of ensuring it is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭scwazrh

is there anywhere safe to use similar to the way parcel motel used to work ? As in have a watch posted to a NI addresss and they ship it or you can collect ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are a couple of outfits in Derry who act as parcel drops.

Can send on details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Please do .

would they be secure for sending a watch to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Well lads, not posted in a while. @banie01 I hope all is well with you currently.

As some of you may know I'm Middle East based and was recently directed to a site called the Luxury Closet which is like an Ebay for high end goods in the region. Been browsing and can't help but noticing literally every Rolex is being reduced by circa 8% from the original advertiser price. Is the bubble finally starting to deflate I wonder? I've a bonus plus personal top up sitting intact which I've earmarked for a watch in time but I can't help but think time, no pun inteneded, should be waited out until a correction comes good.

well im no expert but it does seem like there's a lot more supply now than there was. A lot of folks seem to be 'getting out' of their rolex etc while they can probably still make a healthy margin on it.. there's always the argument to be made that its good to buy as prices come down.. if you arent to far off retail for stuff like rolex i can't imagine it nose diving to low below that.. but 20k gmts might come back to retail at some point?

if someone from the north posts down a watch there is no vat or customs issue compared to coming in from the mainland?

Yeah there's nothing to pay for it coming from north to south. With royal mail there's a limit of 250 pounds insurance re items but you could insure elsewhere or use a courier.. for..

Mick has nailed it. Once it's going north - south there's no VAT liability. If you think that deal is good for us! Imagine how much of an advantage it gives every business in NI versus their GB counterparts! There's a lot of advantage for N.I built in to the protocol.

@James Bond Junior she's doing very well 😁 we are back in with the oncology team on Friday for the pathology results and the staging so fingers crossed the lymph nodes were clear.

i cant believe i didnt know that, so technically then you can still buy your garden furniture and whatever else in the north and get it shipped down no issue.

Yep, no VAT on North/South sales. It's also the only VAT free route for importing UK cars now too, albeit if it's a GB car it needs to be in NI for 6 months before importation here.

I think you go that wrong. The car will have had to have been registered in NI before Brexit became official (01/01/2021) for it to be able to be imported here with no VAT.

• Advertisement

I'll take your word for it Unk, I'm not au fait with the Car details. I may have 6 months in mind as it was last summer when I was looking and it could be that June '21 in my head got transposed with "6 months".

No need, I will give you the official info from the revenue website 😂

"Importing a vehicle from Northern Ireland

Under the VAT rules currently in force in the UK, vehicles first registered in Great Britain and imported into Northern Ireland after 31 December 2020 are liable to:

"

Plenty of people got stung by this, trusting the shady NI resellers claiming the cars were registered over there before brexit. So beware. You will want proof that a car was indeed registered in NI by the end of 2020 otherwise pay 23% VAT

Thanks for the Revenue link, I didn't doubt you 😉

The wording of the paragraph you quote there is interesting in so far as it mentions and is explicit regarding Cars 1st registered in GB and subsequently imported into NI.

What is the situation with cars that were 1st or solely registered in NI?

Completely off topic re: watches I know but, just out of curiousity?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

#Jobfairy A chance to (maybe) make a few bob out of this hobby 😀💶⌚

Swatch Group: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3203151605

If they were originally registered in NI, I believe it's fine, no VAT. Obviously this scheme is prone to abuse, I can't really see it last. There is enormous smuggling via NI going on now. Far more than in those border fox times of decades ago...

hi folks,

I've an incoming which is manual wind about 11 years old, mint condition thats been worn sparingly.. its a Unitas 6948-1 movement. If its winding smooth and keeping time would you service it? I feel like its at an age where it needs a service - one owner, no service..

Curious what others would do.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Tbh I wouldn’t bother Mick. If it’s operating within parameters like timekeeping, winding action, power reserve; I would be more inclined to service when I have a problem with something like a watch. The service won’t add any more value to a watch and will have zero utility to you aside from more papers and peace of mind. I don’t see the value in it.

Its not like a car where not servicing within the interval means higher risk if catastrophic failure, inability to commute etc.

The only thing one watchmaker said to me before is the lubricants dry out in the watch so can cause issues over time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah for sure - that’s when issues start to show in performance and feel, wear and tear on movement parts etc. Something like a 6498 is ubiquitous enough for that not to be a huge problem if you need spare parts. Just my 2c. Not worth a big outlay

Advertisement