Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭ scwazrh

Rolex or Folex ? Anything in the AD ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

They were real alright, and I didn't have to go close to know it. This is a 5 star secluded remote resort from a Swiss shareholders only vacation company. Some of you regulars will not like what I'm going to say next, but it passed the litmus test. Almost no tattoos to he seen.

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

And before anyone asks, no I am not a shareholder. Got the required points from my best mate who is not using them recently

That sounds an awful lot like a timeshare resort.

It is. Google Hapimag. We're in Bodrum

• Advertisement

I'm 54 and could do with losing 2 stone, but I'm no gonner yet,😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ Fitz II

Look at those big wrists, makes the windsurfer look small. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭ James Bond Junior

I had two graduation ceremonies in our school yesterday, I am the Head Teacher, and one thing I'll say about the Levantine, Arabs and Persian people (to be politically correct in how I describe them) watches are huge and the only way to conspicuously consume particularly when you wear dishdasha and abayas. Omega constellation lady, lady datejusts, Cartier for the ladies. For the men Datejusts, one white gold Day Date and a few APs for the men.

In Bodrum town today. When I looked into a window of not that great Rolex fakes, the seller comes up to me, spots my good Rolex and brings me to an enclosed room about 50m from the shop. With good fakes. Bloody hell every RM, AP, Patek and Rolex were there. Looking pretty good, couldn't spot fakeness with my naked eye on a JC I inspected - unfortunately didn't have any loupe with me. About €300 each though, before negotiation. Not really interested in buying. Scary these things are getting so good

• Advertisement

ive never been to turkey but was lead to believe it’s not the safest of places to wander around without hotel guide or security?Your obviously finding it all right if you wearing your JC while window shopping.

Feels pretty safe here. And the good thing about any dictatorship is that if you are convicted of a crime you do seriously hard time. Watch midnight express😂

Not many places I wouldnt be happy wearing my Rolex. I guess London.

I wouldn't like being beaten up by 3 scumbags. Not worried about the watch at all, it's insured

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭ micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭ 893bet

Posting watch to Portugal, who can I use to ensure fully declared and insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

My own experience of sending a watch overseas is likely nowhere near the value of what you are sending 893 😉 but I found that AnPost Courier option and Securus insurance was the option I used.

I may have asked this question before? But, I have an Huangzhou 6460 GMT (ETA 2836 clone) movement lying spare. I fancy turning my hand to sticking it in a case. What I can't narrow down is what to build, the only kits I can find are all Rolex lookalikes, and I don't want to build a Rolex clone unless it's an old style explorer 2 maybe?

I suppose the best person to direct the question to is probably @Blanchy90 ? But anyone who might have a clue, please chime in.

Where could I source a case, dial and hands to build my own weird watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ xyz123

If you go to aliexpress and search 2836 it should give you a wide range of hands, cases etc. There should be all kind of options for you. And then you just have to wait three months for delivery....

You just need to make sure the face fits the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭ Cienciano

Yeah, I was listening to a podcast and Stephen Bradley, the Shamrock Rovers manager was interviewed. He mentioned getting beaten up in London. In 2005 he played for Arsenal, he bought an expensive watch (I would assume a Rolex) and he said a group of lads followed him home and broke into his house. Stabbed him in the head! All after seeing him wear a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭ Neilw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭✭ OmegaGene

he didnt go anywhere, he was off insta for a while but that didnt last long

he had to cancel the last episode due to lack of content and he was seen in the back of a limo with a big bald bloke in a pink suit

tpgentleman subreddit is good for catching the funny bits

• Registered Users Posts: 17,828 ✭✭✭✭ Ads by Google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭✭ OmegaGene

some interesting questions and answered very well by mr khalil

Lads I got sent this pic a few minutes ago. All fakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭ david

Anyone have any influence with the Tudor AD’s? Kinda fancy a BBpro on rubber. Much of a wait time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ Fitz II

Just the way they are arranged make me think the person taking the picture thinks they are worthless. They certainly look bogey, and fakes usually look 10 years old after a year. Usually there is a story behind them too, like found in a box, of left by dead aunt sort of thing that separates the seller from having to know if they are real or not.

The AP offshore is bogus look at the screw on the bezel, on an real one all aligned as then are not actual screws. Registers look wrong real ones are modular and the registers are set under the dial.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

Fake as feck IMHO. They look too chintzy, so cheap fakes with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cheers lads, they looked fake to me. Strange story though they were in the estate of my late uncle who made his money from working in and eventually taking over my grandfather's pharmacy shop from the age of 14, improving it and running it well. He then sold up to retire at age about 45 and started an antiques business as a hobby. Since posting here last night, I heard that the Panerai had a price tag still on it saying €95, I hope he didn't pay more than a fiver for it lol.

He was a suave (gay) businessman, what the hell interested him in these fakes?

We'll see what the antique contents of his house make at auction. I'll report back here if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

Thanks for that, I've posted over there now and will let folk know how it goes.

As it stands, I've a general overview of what I might try.

An Omega Seamaster style GMT build with a white dial, black hands and red GMT hand. Maybe a black ceramic bezel. Not pushed on a bracelet as I have plenty of straps that will do the job.

Some of the parts I'm considering are:

I want something other than the usual Rolex style build and I think this could make for quite a legible dial, the red hand will tie into the GMT print on the dial and the black hands will contrast well against the white dial.

Now, all that said it would be very similar to my existing Omega GMT so I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭ Lorddrakul

They do look suspect. That AP looks like it has had a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ Gavin1

Hi folks. Anyone got some EU brokers or grey dealers details that could PM me? Am looking for a Glashutte Original. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

Well outside in the normal people world 😁 a lot of said normal people just want a watch that looks nice, or the part, as an accessory kinda thing. I'd reckon a fair number of fakes and direct "homages" fall into this category.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement