Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Kia e-Soul

  • 19-04-2019 4:18pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭ AMKC


    https://www.kia.com/ie/new-cars/e-soul/discover/

    https://www.drivingelectric.com/kia/soul

    Am surprised there is no thread on the e-Soul yet. I have always had a soft spot for the Soul and think both the MKI an MKII still look great. Just a pity it was never offered as a petrol and I might have had one.
    Think this is the right way for Kia to take it and that its a good move.


«13456712

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ irishgrover


    I was thinking the exact same myself. Am very much looking forward to the arrival of the new incarnation


  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ Round Cable


    The website shows the base spec 64kWh model at €32k. If this isn't a mistake and they can sell it at this price and supply in volume, it wouldn't do much for Leaf, Ioniq, or eGolf sales.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭ eagerv


    Looks an interesting car. The two specs mentioned with the bigger battery are K2 and K3 at €31994 and €37495. Difficult to compare specs, both look well equipped incl LED lights, Adaptive cruise etc. K3 also has full leather, electric seats. Hard to see what else?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ Mike9832


    The website shows the base spec 64kWh model at €32k. If this isn't a mistake and they can sell it at this price and supply in volume, it wouldn't do much for Leaf, Ioniq, or eGolf sales.

    Looks a mistake, pity as needs to be 5k off when it looks like that

    32k for 39kWh

    37k for 64kWh


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 gizmo555


    The website shows the base spec 64kWh model at €32k. If this isn't a mistake and they can sell it at this price and supply in volume, it wouldn't do much for Leaf, Ioniq, or eGolf sales.

    Well, it's pricing the lower range model at €300 more than the long range one. Must be some mistake there.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭ Pkiernan


    Looks like a great car.
    Very quick too.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    gizmo555 wrote: »
    Well, it's pricing the lower range model at €300 more than the long range one. Must be some mistake there.

    The pricing tool has 2 prices for the higher range, I would take the one 300 more expensive is an error


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Kona and Soul similar price, I can make a stab which one will sell better


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ Silent Running


    gizmo555 wrote: »
    Well, it's pricing the lower range model at €300 more than the long range one. Must be some mistake there.

    The Kia configurator is all over the place. It doesn't work for the E-Niro either.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    The Kia configurator is all over the place. It doesn't work for the E-Niro either.

    If you mess around with it and spend a bit of time you will get a good stab at price.....

    Common sense will tell you the larger battery is not going to be 300 quid more expensive


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭ eagerv


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Kona and Soul similar price, I can make a stab which one will sell better


    I suppose a lot will depend on what is available and what sort of trade in you will get. The Soul looks better equipped (But hard to tell as yet) than the Kona or Nero but it's looks may not be everyone's taste.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    eagerv wrote: »
    I suppose a lot will depend on what is available and what sort of trade in you will get. The Soul looks better equipped (But hard to tell as yet) than the Kona or Nero but it's looks may not be everyone's taste.

    You are lucky to get a set of wheel on the kona(over exaggeration of the day)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    Looks really good, let's see what the pricing, specs for Ireland and trade in policy will be. For me it's this one or VW ID.

    Don't like that battery warranty doesn't guarantee SOH and the boot is small.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    McGiver wrote: »
    Don't like that battery warranty doesn't guarantee SOH and the boot is small.


    Any link? That doesn't make sense. Buyer: the SOH is down to 10%, my range is just 30km. Kia: tough. It's still working, innit?

    :D

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ mouthful


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Kona and Soul similar price, I can make a stab which one will sell better

    While in my view the Kona is a better looking car (although I am only going on photos and you tube) the Soul has much better spec, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detect, it's own app (Jan 2020). I would opt to have soul, however if the niro had lumber support i would prefer that even with the lesser specs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    unkel wrote: »
    Any link? That doesn't make sense. Buyer: the SOH is down to 10%, my range is just 30km. Kia: tough. It's still working, innit?

    :D

    Sure, there you go. Battery Warranty section.

    https://www.drivingelectric.com/kia/soul/1019/kia-soul-ev-range-battery-charging


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Thanks for the response, but that's no more than hearsay from a third party website (that provides no evidence to back up their claim)

    Anyway, the Irish consumer is fairly well protected under the Sale of Goods act (1980) which goes way beyond what most warranties offer

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    unkel wrote:
    Anyway, the Irish consumer is fairly well protected under the Sale of Goods act (1980) which goes way beyond what most warranties offer
    It's a third party but one that understands the EV market so one would assume they made their research and this information is correct. In their other reviews they always mention the battery warranty with respect to the battery capacity.

    EV battery capacity is surely covered in 1980 law :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ mouthful


    I see Kia have removed the car and specs from the website- wonder why?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    mouthful wrote: »
    I see Kia have removed the car and specs from the website- wonder why?


    The dealer was not very happy that the pricing was on the website for the eNiro. They said they had no confirmed pricing for delivery or metallic paint etc....he said they where getting onto Kia because the customer had more information than the dealer


    I guess they pulled rank and told them to remove. I was supposed to get a price on the eNiro but it has never arrived.....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭ September1


    Maybe there is enough demand in UK market, so they could easily sell this year production without having to deal with small Irish market.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭ eagerv


    mouthful wrote: »
    I see Kia have removed the car and specs from the website- wonder why?


    Perhaps they made a bit of a booboo with the spec and pricing, undercutting the Kona.


    Probably wait now till Model 3 and VW come out with an indication of prices..


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    McGiver wrote: »
    EV battery capacity is surely covered in 1980 law :)

    You obviously don't know then how the act is interpreted in the courts ;)

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭ McGiver


    unkel wrote: »
    You obviously don't know then how the act is interpreted in the courts ;)
    I do admit that I don't, but would I go and sue Kia that my Kia Soul EV battery SOH dropped to 69% and hence warranty should apply? Most likely not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭ AMKC


    So the e-Soul is going to be priced from just under 36k and then the next spec from 39k.

    It was in yesterdays indopendent motors section.

    The-Niro prices were also there but the reviewer said the e-Soul was the much nicer place to be with a nicer cabin instead of a dull black one.

    They are both due to go on sale in a month or two.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ Silent Running


    AMKC wrote: »
    So the e-Soul is going to be priced from just under 36k and then the next spec from 39k.

    It was in yesterdays indopendent motors section.

    The-Niro prices were also there but the reviewer said the e-Soul was the much nicer place to be with a nicer cabin instead of a dull black one.

    They are both due to go on sale in a month or two.

    I drove the two cars one after the other and the Soul is a much nicer cabin. If it wasn't so quirky on the outside, I would have bought one instead of the Niro.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    AMKC wrote: »
    So the e-Soul is going to be priced from just under 36k and then the next spec from 39k.

    It was in yesterdays indopendent motors section.

    The-Niro prices were also there but the reviewer said the e-Soul was the much nicer place to be with a nicer cabin instead of a dull black one.

    They are both due to go on sale in a month or two.

    Is 36 k just for 39 kwh?????.

    I actually much prefer the look of the Soul - the Niro looks a bit generic crossover.

    The Niro boot is a better design then Soul though.

    Bjorn Neyland has an eSoul on test for 7 days and he posted pictures on facebook including boot.

    Depth was the biggest issue on eSoul boot in the pic Bjorn had.

    Unless there is a false floor


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭ AMKC


    Old diesel wrote: »
    Is 36 k just for 39 kwh?????.

    I actually much prefer the look of the Soul - the Niro looks a bit generic crossover.

    The Niro boot is a better design then Soul though.

    Bjorn Neyland has an eSoul on test for 7 days and he posted pictures on facebook including boot.

    Depth was the biggest issue on eSoul boot in the pic Bjorn had.

    Unless there is a false floor

    Is 36 k just for 39 kwh?

    65 KW actually.


    Here is the article,

    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/special-day-highlighted-huge-appetite-for-evs-as-kias-new-eniro-and-esoul-mostly-stole-the-show-38157927.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    AMKC wrote: »
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Is 36 k just for 39 kwh?????.

    I actually much prefer the look of the Soul - the Niro looks a bit generic crossover.

    The Niro boot is a better design then Soul though.

    Bjorn Neyland has an eSoul on test for 7 days and he posted pictures on facebook including boot.

    Depth was the biggest issue on eSoul boot in the pic Bjorn had.

    Unless there is a false floor

    Is 36 k just for 39 kwh?

    65 KW actually.


    Here is the article,

    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/special-day-highlighted-huge-appetite-for-evs-as-kias-new-eniro-and-esoul-mostly-stole-the-show-38157927.html

    Thank you - I thought the Soul might come with two battery options.

    Didn't realise it was only coming with the larger battery


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭ JohnC.


    Old diesel wrote: »
    Thank you - I thought the Soul might come with two battery options.

    Didn't realise it was only coming with the larger battery

    It has 64 or 39.2, according to the Kia website.

    From €31,995


Advertisement