Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

gozunda wrote: »
    Another view of the video of guy dealing with the eejits blocking the road. The guy is a hero :pac:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlnBOpX

The bar for being a 'hero' must be very very low!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cjmc wrote: »
    The bar for being a 'hero' must be very very low!

On the contrary "A working class hero is something to be", John Lennon

Thankfully flag waving does not apply. I hope some one buys that a man a beer at least. He deserves it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Walked by one of these extinction heads recently and they had a cool new phone. Not exactly sticking it to the man tho !! Disappointed they didn’t have the old school Nokia phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Another view of the video of guy dealing with the eejits blocking the road. The guy is a hero :pac:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlnBOpX

That is brilliant!! Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Walked by one of these extinction heads recently and they had a cool new phone. Not exactly sticking it to the man tho !! Disappointed they didn’t have the old school Nokia phone..

How do you know it was new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

How do you know it was new?

The latest iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

nthclare wrote: »
    With all the time herd's of buffaloes, parade's of Mamoths amongst other animals in North America before the pale face came, I'm surprised they're not under water with all the co2 emitted from the flatulence.

Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody
    Eco warrior!

The latest iPhone

Couldn’t it be second-hand? Or are trying to distract from the real issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Couldn’t it be second-hand? Or are trying to distract from the real issue here?

The real issue is a lot of the ER protesters are just anarchy tourists. They dont really care about the cause.

The real issue is a lot of the ER protesters are just anarchy tourists. They dont really care about the cause.

How many have you met? I don’t mean walking past; I mean have had actual conversations with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Ah brings me back to childhood when middle class, wannabe crusties from Dublin would descend on us in the West for the Summer once college broke up for the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How many have you met? I don’t mean walking past; I mean have had actual conversations with?

A rake in McDonalds. Didn't speak to them though, i dont like talking to junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ah brings me back to childhood when middle class, wannabe crusties from Dublin would descend on us in the West for the Summer once college broke up for the year :)

Did they descend on ye to take up difficult manual work on farms? Or was it merely to disseminate the glorious bolshevik creedo to the agrarians?

A rake in McDonalds. Didn't speak to them though, i dont like talking to junkies.

No further questions, your honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

topper75 wrote: »
    Did they descend on ye to take up difficult manual work on farms? Or was it merely to disseminate the glorious bolshevik creedo to the agrarians?

Work? :pac: I believe sales of rizzla went up in the local newsagents. Ah they were mainly harmless, just protesting... well anything related to development. The water treatment plant on Mutton Island was fought over for years. That was a big one. Many's the crusty who wanted Galway Bay to be full of human excrement. For some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

This is a big part of the problem. The days when people waited for phones or electronic equipment to break before replacing them are long gone. Many people change their phones at least once a year. People are buying cheap ''fast''/disposable fashion, people think nothing of upgrading a TV or fridge or whatever and just dumping the old working one in a recycling centre, well there's only so much of a market for recycling.

I was walking along behind a young lad of about 13 or 14 at lunchtime yesterday he was on his way back to school eating a pizza. When he was finished he just flung it into grass at the side of the path, despite the fact that he'd to walk past 2 bins on the way to school. Absolute dirt bird. I'd have loved to have said something to him but these days it's probably classed as child abuse or sexual assault to say anything at all to a random juvenile so I said nothing.

blueshade wrote: »
    This is a big part of the problem. The days when people waited for phones or electronic equipment to break before replacing them are long gone. Many people change their phones at least once a year. People are buying cheap ''fast''/disposable fashion, people think nothing of upgrading a TV or fridge or whatever and just dumping the old working one in a recycling centre, well there's only so much of a market for recycling.

I was walking along behind a young lad of about 13 or 14 at lunchtime yesterday he was on his way back to school eating a pizza. When he was finished he just flung it into grass at the side of the path, despite the fact that he'd to walk past 2 bins on the way to school. Absolute dirt bird. I'd have loved to have said something to him but these days it's probably classed as child abuse or sexual assault to say anything at all to a random juvenile so I said nothing.

So you were afraid of a 13 year old. Cool story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Your typical activist hard man on the internet, a child in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bizarrely we had a bunch of them who moved from England a few years back looking for some rural idyll. Of course once they got here - they didnt actually like the rural idyll at all and spent all their time bitching about the natives. Tbh such crusties seem to be a fairly common occurrence. Maybe Brexit will be a good thing ;)

Afraid of a 13 year old? Where did you pull that from? Amused at the irony of a kid who'd probably attend a protest for the environment dumping litter on the street, yes. Appalled that he did it yes. Equally appalled that kids are so coddled now that pointing out that littering is not acceptable would probably lead to cops knocking my door and telling me off for telling off a kid.

• Advertisement

Bizarrely we had a bunch of them who moved from England a few years back looking for some rural idyll. Of course once they got here - they didnt actually like the rural idyll at all and spent all their time bitching about the natives. Tbh such crusties seem to be a fairly common occurrence. Maybe Brexit will be a good thing ;)

Yep, it's like people who move to the country thinking country life will be peaceful then complaining that it's actually quite noisy, what with the farm animals and farm equipment etc, not to mention the lorries hurtling down the rural roads at speeds they wouldn't get away with on motorways.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Your typical activist hard man on the internet, a child in the real world.

:confused:

Afraid of a 13 year old? Where did you pull that from? Amused at the irony of a kid who'd probably attend a protest for the environment dumping litter on the street, yes. Appalled that he did it yes. Equally appalled that kids are so coddled now that pointing out that littering is not acceptable would probably lead to cops knocking my door and telling me off for telling off a kid.

You’ve said it in both posts now. Afraid to ask a 13yo to pick up garbage he’d dropped right in front of you, while wearing his school uniform. Did you report it to the school? Or were you afraid they’d send the Army Rangers after you??

You’ve said it in both posts now. Afraid to ask a 13yo to pick up garbage he’d dropped right in front of you, while wearing his school uniform. Did you report it to the school? Or were you afraid they’d send the Army Rangers after you??

Wow. You really are out of touch, or you're a teenager. :D

Wow. You really are out of touch, or you're a teenager. :D

Did you inform the school that one of their students were littering?? I'm 37 and very well in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

how do you know they were 'extinction heads' then? Were you at one of the marches and seen them or did they have a big sign with them? Or were you making unfounded assumptions?

Not sure if it’s the same in Ireland, but why work when you can get up to £400 a week “volunteer living expenses”

“ Activists can claim so-called "volunteer living expenses" of up to £400 a week, which set the group back £130,000 for the months of June, July and August alone.”
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50087022

• Registered Users Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wheres this money coming from?

(maybe i should read the article)
    the group has raised more than £2.5m this year. Between the beginning of March and the end of September, gifts from large donors - those giving £5,000 or more - totalled £1.2m. Meanwhile, an online fundraising page has attracted another £1m from smaller donors.
    Extinction Rebellion's site lists every single expense,...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Great to see attentbrough regularly raise climate change on his new show on bbc at mo.

I hope all the climate deniers are taking good notes !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Great to see attentbrough regularly raise climate change on his new show on bbc at mo.

I hope all the climate deniers are taking good notes !!!!
    I am sure he will be giving up his vast wealth to solve climate change .

To have the wealth that man has gathered is in no way Green . ( ok , the Greenbacks are )

Advertisement