Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Here’s what i find amusing. You have that mr Eamonn Ryan proposing 10 cars for 30 families down the country or whatever his deluded ideas are. However the biggest pollution is in Dublin with that horrendous traffic. Isn’t it funny i don’t hear him banging on about a huge congestion charge in Dublin ( that could do wonders for Dublin traffic and polution) oh wait! That might upset his voters in Dublin ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here’s what i find amusing. You have that mr Eamonn Ryan proposing 10 cars for 30 families down the country or whatever his deluded ideas are. However the biggest pollution is in Dublin with that horrendous traffic. Isn’t it funny i don’t hear him banging on about a huge congestion charge in Dublin ( that could do wonders for Dublin traffic and polution) oh wait! That might upset his voters in Dublin ....
    If anyone is Green Enough to support the Greens after what they did the last time they were in government then they deserve all that the Greens will do to them the next time .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People in cities are far less likely to own a car than rural dwellers and can cycle or take public transport. City living is more carbon efficient than rural living.

blinding wrote: »
    If anyone is Green Enough to support the Greens after what they did the last time they were in government then they deserve all that the Greens will do to them the next time .

You could say the same about FF, FG etc. yet people will still vote them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People in cities are far less likely to own a car than rural dwellers and can cycle or take public transport. City living is more carbon efficient than rural living.

But what do we do with people who want or need to live in rural areas?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I dont care i was just refuting the fact that some people think if country living is cleaner than city living

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I dont care i was just refuting the fact that some people think if country living is cleaner than city living

i couldnt imagine theres much difference between either, as we all require the energy created by burning fossil fuels to survive

I believe the so called ER are doing some blood spilling stunt outside some hotel today? If they do i hope they get issued litter fines, that would be littering.

I believe the so called ER are doing some blood spilling stunt outside some hotel today? If they do i hope they get issued litter fines, that would be littering.

Call the relevant authorities and you can catch them out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I hope it's a garden hose this time. Their weak soy boy arms only managed to hang on to the fire hose outside the UK tresuary building for a split second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Facts (or possible facts) which fail completely to address the question of why Green Ryan hasn't pontificated about a congestion charge for Dublin.

171170 wrote: »
    Facts (or possible facts) which fail completely to address the question of why Green Ryan hasn't pontificated about a congestion charge for Dublin.

Probably because it would be political suicide with many of his voters probably being Range Rover driving types. This is why politics doesn't really work a lot of the time. I don't think congestion charges would really help anyway, people would just pay them, really some kind of means test on whether you need to be driving to the city centre or not would probably be more suitable, but that's never going to happen either. I'm just thinking of 2 girls at work, one drives from just past Kilmainham to Baggot St area and another from Glasnevin! Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The "rebellion" is starting to eat itself from within already. Apparently many Xs are very displeased with figurehead Roger Hallam after his prison release when he said prison is a doddle and he lounged around reading books for a few weeks. He didn't check his white privilege.

You could say the same about FF, FG etc. yet people will still vote them in.

The difference of course being that John "the rat" Gormley promised pre-election that he'd never visit Planet Bertie. And the Rev. Trevor Sargent said much the same thing.

And if you've any brains then you'll stop trying to defend the Green turncoats, because (a) people won't change their minds and (b) by doing it, you'll only prompt posters to dig up more bad memories about the Greens' dishonesty.

"Rossport Eamon Ryan" anyone? :p

(Incidentally, I'm a former Trevor Sargent voter who still feels betrayed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wanderer78 wrote: »

No such thing as needing to live in rural areas. They should all be forcibly relocated to massive Asian style tower blocks to be built in Dublin for the sake of lowering their carbon footprint.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No such thing as needing to live in rural areas. They should all be forcibly relocated to massive Asian style tower blocks to be built in Dublin for the sake of lowering their carbon footprint.

No but we should be planning where people live so that public transport and shared services can be most efficient instead of a dispersed population and people slapping up one off housing all over the shop, in an ideal world. This is ireland though, we aint gonna change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The average behicles probably spends 90 percent of it's time parked doing nothing. Why not utilise them more efficiently. Book your electric car which will drive itself to your location for the time needed. Job done and then someone else uses it. Would work out a lot cheaper than running a car full time.

20Cent wrote: »
    The average behicles probably spends 90 percent of it's time parked doing nothing. Why not utilise them more efficiently. Book your electric car which will drive itself to your location for the time needed. Job done and then someone else uses it. Would work out a lot cheaper than running a car full time.
    Obviously if self driving cars do come to pass it could be revolutionary . Why would you need to own a car in the scenario you say , particularly in Cities and perhaps anywhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The "rebellion" is starting to eat itself from within already. Apparently many Xs are very displeased with figurehead Roger Hallam after his prison release when he said prison is a doddle and he lounged around reading books for a few weeks. He didn't check his white privilege.

He acknowledged his privileged treatment in his prison release statement video.

Call the relevant authorities and you can catch them out

You’re great and trying to turn it around on to me aren’t you? Well if the authorities are doing their jobs why would i want or even bother calling them? I’m just saying they could be at risk of litter fines. I don’t litter so i expect my fellow citizens to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Self driving cars - as in not needing human supervision - are decades away according to the best people in the business - Google. I think they are being overly optimistic and that it can't be done without what in AI is called 'general intelligence'. In other words, we would need to create a true AI - not the neural network works out applicable algorithm stuff that isn't AI.

It’s because Dublin is his constituency and he doesn’t want to upset his voters in Dublin incase he’d lose his TD status so targetting rural areas is handier for him.

Dublin is the worst place for traffic and emissions.

It’s because Dublin is his constituency and he doesn’t want to upset his voters in Dublin incase he’d lose his TD status so targetting rural areas is handier for him.

Dublin is the worst place for traffic and emissions.
    His constituents must be very Green to fall for this sort of manoeuvre !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

His constituents must be very Green to fall for this sort of manoeuvre !

Once he doesn't inconvenience his voters the rest of the population are fair game. It wasn't city dwellers who would have to worry about Wolves being reintroduced that was only for the plebs in the countryside to get upset about.

Once he doesn't inconvenience his voters the rest of the population are fair game. It wasn't city dwellers who would have to worry about Wolves being reintroduced that was only for the plebs in the countryside to get upset about.
    There seems to be theme running through his pronouncements alright :eek:

A variation of that service is currently available. It's called a taxi!

A variation of that service is currently available. It's called a taxi!
    Is there an argument that only taxis ( perhaps electric ) should be used inside say City Limits or some set area in cities ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Is there an argument that only taxis ( perhaps electric ) should be used inside say City Limits or some set area in cities ?
    Is there anything to be said for saying another Mass?

Edgware wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for saying another Mass?
    In fairness they will do it in any case .....so maybe they are right:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Edgware wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for saying another Mass extinction

FYP. ;-)

Advertisement