Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

biko wrote: »

Right wingers can't understand why people would do something because they think it's right and not for money. Some conspiracy theory that they are paid by a shadowy force. Probably George Soros.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

raising awareness - easy

offering workable solutions - not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

raising awareness - easy

offering workable solutions - not easy

Putting your head in the ground and doing nothing is also easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

20Cent wrote: »
    Right wingers can't understand why people would do something because they think it's right and not for money. Some conspiracy theory that they are paid by a shadowy force. Probably George Soros.

I have not seen a western protest movement in the last 10 years that has not been undermined by Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD). A common way of doing this is to question the true motive, the funding and also the character of its leaders.

None of the European revolutions of the 19th and 20th century would have happened with social media around, and in the future there's never going to come along a movement that someone can't find a conspiracy angle on.

Maybe it's possible that there's never truly been a totally genuine grassroots revolution of any kind, and there's always been some amount of string-pulling, and in that case we'll have to reconsider our assessment of modern incarnations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I've just had 10 pints. Is there any place I can empty my bladder that would be good for the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Edgware wrote: »
    I've just had 1 pints. Is there any place I can empty my bladder that would be good for the environment.
    Recycle it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

20Cent wrote: »
    You know it's a worldwide movement right?
    They are in India and every country in the world pretty much.

Extinction Rebellion is not active in most countries in the world never mind every country in the world.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

After buying myself into a Diesel Engine Exhaust Fliuid business for trucks. Ad blue etc.

Man there is some money to be made in this green thing. It's basically a legal form of racketeering. I've no guilt about it, I'm going to have my house paid off in the next 5 years if things stay the same.

blinding wrote: »
    Recycle it .
    I thought I was when drinking Fosters

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This one brings joy to your heart. This man has simply had enough.

People have to go to work, get the f**k out of the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Omackeral wrote: »

The problem with groups like this is the majority dont work and would be considered loners so they become activist to be a part of something. You can tell when the lady ask why he doing this like is she stupid. Good ok that lad, just shows how one guy can stop a group of idiots and they are left dumbfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Harika wrote: »
    In today s examiner, they recap the strikes in 1920, Cork was at a standstill for days, nowadays people get a extremely upset about a 15 minute detour. The Brits would have been very happy about the forum people here.

1920 and today, great comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Extinction Rebellion don’t seem to know / understand the pressures and strains on the Working Class .

The must be living in Ivory Towers / Gilded Palaces . Why don’t they go after the Private Jet Lot especially the Private jet Lot that are backing them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hodge Twins commenting on that video :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

We’re all going extinct lads... waheeey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Nobody wants to work till 67 bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

K.Flyer wrote: »
    There are no cyclists allowed on the m50 and no Bus lanes either. So once you stop the traffic everything stops. Given the push back against them, I wouldn't fancy their chances of lasting long on the M50.

Not going to lie, the sweet release of death caused by being ploughed by a car trundling the M50 does sound nice. Just make it clean and quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It’s a sad indictment of where the world is right now that behaviour like that is applauded. You can’t possibly tell me the anger in that man was brought on by a few climate change protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cournioni wrote: »
    We’re all going extinct lads... waheeey!

thats the thing, they think not only will there be massive population decline as a result of famine etc. they think the whole human race will go extinct, along with all other large mammals, and small mammals, and every bird, animal, insect, fish, plant, fungus, bacteria, the total destruction of every living thing on this earth, is what they think will happen...

that's not going to happen, no matter how bad it gets, life... finds a way.

and humans are able to manipulate our environment to such an extent that we'll never go extinct,

thats the thing, they think not only will there be massive population decline as a result of famine etc. they think the whole human race will go extinct, along with all other large mammals, and small mammals, and every bird, animal, insect, fish, plant, fungus, bacteria, the total destruction of every living thing on this earth, is what they think will happen,

Most scientists are of this belief, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Most scientists are not of that belief, not going to happen in 12 years anyway, or 1200 or 12000000. The sun, the main driver of our climate, will expand and consume this planet (if an asteroid or comet doesn't get it first) in a few billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It’s a sad indictment of where the world is right now that behaviour like that is applauded. You can’t possibly tell me the anger in that man was brought on by a few climate change protesters.

People have gotten angrier over a lot less than a bunch of layabout cult members with nothing to do and nowhere to be blocking roads, chanting their hive mind slogans and attempting to stop people getting on with their day. He probably has bills to pay and doesn't rely on Papas money or state handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Science and belief were once opposites. Now 'demonstrable', 'repeatable', 'predictable', and 'verifiable' have been thrown under the bus in the quest for research funds and column inches.
    What has been allowed happen with the politicisation of science is appalling over the last decade in official circles. Nutcases and doomsayers are entertained as sages and prophets.
    In a few decades people will look back and shake their heads and wonder how a supposedly educated public in the early 21st century was taken in by it. An Inconvenient Truth will look like War of the Worlds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

topper75 wrote: »
    Science and belief were once opposites. Now 'demonstrable', 'repeatable', 'predictable', and 'verifiable' have been thrown under the bus in the quest for research funds and column inches.
    What has been allowed happen with the politicisation of science is appalling over the last decade in official circles. Nutcases and doomsayers are entertained as sages and prophets.
    In a few decades people will look back and shake their heads and wonder how a supposedly educated public in the early 21st century was taken in by it. An Inconvenient Truth will look like War of the Worlds.

That's an excellent point and one thing that often goes unmentioned is that when someone who is an expert goes against popular opinion they are often mauled online to the point where there employers and family are targeted. They get death threats, their family and employers are targeted online with abuse and threats and it often costs them their jobs and their careers which is why a lot of things are going unsaid. The only professional descent I've heard contradicting Greata recently was from a scientist who asked her to stop saying that there's going to be some catastrophic global event in 12 years time because there isn't and as he put it there isn't a case if warming goes above 1.5 degrees where ''there be dragons''.

blueshade wrote: »
    That's an excellent point and one thing that often goes unmentioned is that when someone who is an expert goes against popular opinion they are often mauled online to the point where there employers and family are targeted. They get death threats, their family and employers are targeted online with abuse and threats and it often costs them their jobs and their careers which is why a lot of things are going unsaid. The only professional descent I've heard contradicting Greata recently was from a scientist who asked her to stop saying that there's going to be some catastrophic global event in 12 years time because there isn't and as he put it there isn't a case if warming goes above 1.5 degrees where ''there be dragons''.

Wasn’t it the IPCC report that talked of those 12 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

topper75 wrote: »

Spot on. My ex is a scientist and she went and read several of the original source papers that the global warming idea is based on. As a scientist, she was horrified at the blatant surface temp data manipulation going on and latterly, the whole air of certainty that is put on the idea of global warming. She said science is dead. It has been thoroughly corrupted and the scientific method thrown under a bus - diesel powered, no doubt.

You don't have scientific certainty. Every single scientist on the planet - bar one - could believe that some given hypothesis is the correct one, but it only takes that one scientist who doubts, to come up with an alternative theory that better fits the facts, with superior predictive ability, to show the faith of every other scientist on the planet was misplaced. Newton's theory about gravity was widely accepted until Einstein came up with a better one and changed everything.

The whole global warming thing now more closely resembles a religion, than science. Vast numbers of people who don't understand the basics who 'believe' on the basis of their 'faith' in those who purport to understand the basics. The near fervent hatred of heretics who are called 'deniers' rather than skeptics. There have been proposals by some to make global warming skepticism illegal. We even have a young devout believer whose fervor has her catching the public imagination - the church of global warming's very own Joan of Arc - Gretta.

A prime example of how climate religion has killed off science in general can be found in the case of Dr Peter Ridd, a professor of Physics at James Cook University in Queensland Australia. He is an expert on corals and criticised the poor climate change science being used by some of his colleagues. He was sacked, but has now been awarded $1.2 M for his illegal dismissal by the science Taliban.

Scientists are now scared to state their opinions if they are not in alignment with doctrine. An Astro-Physicist, and now Professor of mathematics, Valentina Zharkova, has a model of the Suns cyclical dynamics which predicts a possible significant decline in activity and output, starting next year, but in interviews has to be careful to say that global warming might still be happening, even if a new mini Ice age arrives. Another scientist, Ilya Usoskin, finds data indicating the Sun's output has increased, recently, but makes sure to support global warming as well.

On a geological timescale, we currently have a very low average global temperature and very low levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. There was arguably more life on Earth back in those times than there is presently.

Ignoring the weirdness of ocean floor thermal vents, all life on earth gets it's energy from photosynthesis, ultimately. The current global average temperature is 14° C. Is that deal for photosynthesis? Nope - the ideal is 25 - 30° C. So back when there were no ice caps, because the average global temperature was 22° C, plant life flourished, as did the herbivores and the carnivores that fed off them. There was so much more energy from the sun available to life via more optimal photosynthesis, that some of the animals grew to be very large. Extinction of life in 12 years? - get back to school, Gretta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Wasn’t it the IPCC report that talked of those 12 years?

The scientist I'm referring to was part of the IPCC report.

Most scientists are not of that belief, not going to happen in 12 years anyway, or 1200 or 12000000. The sun, the main driver of our climate, will expand and consume this planet (if an asteroid or comet doesn't get it first) in a few billion.
    Scienists! What do they know about it? Stuff they read in the paper by other scientists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Oh I remember all the doom's day scenarios right back to the early 80's

Actually according to my memory, the tide's and rivers haven't changed much.
    The fish aren't prolific due to overfishing and pollution, there was scientists supposedly suggesting that it's ok to pumps lot's of toxins and ****e into river's seas and estuaries...
    A manageable amount ffs
    Ah it'll be grand pump away.

The main worry I have is the amount of Monsanto products that was sprayed over the year's and leaking into river's etc
    It's not the farmer's fault, they were sold a red herring every horticulture and agricultural school and college in the country were saying glyphosate was safe to use because the scientists said so....
    How could something that kills an organic lifeform inside out be safe for the environment ?

So you believe in scientists do you ?

I believe in honest research and fact's, not what people were paid to tell us what to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No - the world is not all unicorns and rainbows
    And yes it's a fairly sad indictment of where the world is right now when a bunch of protestors without any mandate get to block people walking to work and going about their business.

The guy was rightly pissed alright. I can fully understand his reaction. Looks like a backlash against this type of thing is starting to bite.

Advertisement