Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

nthclare wrote: »
    Oh I remember all the doom's day scenarios right back to the early 80's

Actually according to my memory, the tide's and rivers haven't changed much.
    The fish aren't prolific due to overfishing and pollution, there was scientists supposedly suggesting that it's ok to pumps lot's of toxins and ****e into river's seas and estuaries...
    A manageable amount ffs
    Ah it'll be grand pump away.

The main worry I have is the amount of Monsanto products that was sprayed over the year's and leaking into river's etc
    It's not the farmer's fault, they were sold a red herring every horticulture and agricultural school and college in the country were saying glyphosate was safe to use because the scientists said so....
    How could something that kills an organic lifeform inside out be safe for the environment ?

So you believe in scientists do you ?

I believe in honest research and fact's, not what people were paid to tell us what to believe.

Brilliant post.
    You are asking real questions but the problem is they are not sexy so no street protests. It's funny that politicians take so little action about stuff they actually COULD fix. They want to talk about the earth's atmosphere in 50 years time rather than today's water and earth.
    Scientist blind worship is quite unhealthy. History is littered with examples of people taking things at face value and learning the horrors afterwards.
    Unbelievably the leaded petrol and CFCs in fridges was actually the same bright spark. I'm sure all this stuff was also 'peer-reviewed'. Opposition is dismissed as luddite.
    I share all these concerns. Watched a guy over the summer spraying weeds in the gravel outside his house. I got to thinking it all has to filter down somewhere. Lough Derg just one field away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gozunda wrote: »
    No - the world is not all unicorns and rainbows
    And yes it's a fairly sad indictment of where the world is right now when a bunch of protestors without any mandate get to block people walking to work and going about their business.

The guy was rightly pissed alright. I can fully understand his reaction. Looks like a backlash against this type of thing is starting to bite.

yeah, it really isn't.
    as back clashes go it's an absolute embarrassment to those involved in it and it failed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

With their dumb behaviour ; Extinction Rebellion will soon go Extinct .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

topper75 wrote: »
    Brilliant post.
    You are asking real questions but the problem is they are not sexy so no street protests. It's funny that politicians take so little action about stuff they actually COULD fix. They want to talk about the earth's atmosphere in 50 years time rather than today's water and earth.
    Scientist blind worship is quite unhealthy. History is littered with examples of people taking things at face value and learning the horrors afterwards.
    Unbelievably the leaded petrol and CFCs in fridges was actually the same bright spark. I'm sure all this stuff was also 'peer-reviewed'. Opposition is dismissed as luddite.
    I share all these concerns. Watched a guy over the summer spraying weeds in the gravel outside his house. I got to thinking it all has to filter down somewhere. Lough Derg just one field away.

Exactly like you said it's not sexy.

The people discussion on this thread are motivated by what's popular at the moment and not the truth.

Scientists saying if the temperature goes up by 1.5 degrees we're in trouble.
    80's primary school kid's learned about temperatures and freezing points, and how cold it is so far up towards the Artic

1.5 degrees is as threatening as a mouse in a haggard, even though ice melts above 0 degrees Celsius most of the artic will be still the same in 100 years time.

And the average temperature of the artic circle is below freezing, so where are some people going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Exactly like you said it's not sexy.

The people discussion on this thread are motivated by what's popular at the moment and not the truth.

Scientists saying if the temperature goes up by 1.5 degrees we're in trouble.
    80's primary school kid's learned about temperatures and freezing points, and how cold it is so far up towards the Artic

1.5 degrees is as threatening as a mouse in a haggard, even though ice melts above 0 degrees Celsius most of the artic will be still the same in 100 years time.

Most of the Artic isn't the same as it was in the 1980s. I doubt it will be same in a hundred years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As a school child of the late 70's and early 80's I was looking forward to the ice age predicted at the time. What child hates snow, imagine my disappointment at the time that they were wrong.

As a school child of the late 70's and early 80's I was looking forward to the ice age predicted at the time. What child hates snow, imagine my disappointment at the time that they were wrong.

I remember that too, it was all over the media.
    We're heading towards a new ice age.
    Scientists were telling us this.

I remember that too, it was all over the media.
    We're heading towards a new ice age.
    Scientists were telling us this.

I was looking forward to massive snowball fights, got a bad sunburn that same year. Baz Lurhmann was right wear sunscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

School child of the early 90s here, acid rain was gonna wreck havoc on Europe and make farming, fishing etc impossible. Then I got to college and assured we'd reached peak oil. The coming decades would see scarcity and oil wars, a Mad Max future for the 2010s.

Now I'm told that in 12 years I'll be busy hunting my neighbours for food.

Plus ca change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

School child of the early 90s here, acid rain was gonna wreck havoc on Europe and make farming, fishing etc impossible. Then I got to college and assured we'd reached peak oil. The coming decades would see scarcity and oil wars, a Mad Max future for the 2010s.

Plus ca change.
    Keep an eye out if you see your neighbours licking their lips when they interact with you .

Also watch out for them buying Pork Seasoning .

• Advertisement

Plus ca change.

Don't get me wrong we are having an effect on the climate but no f**king way things are as bad as the scaremongering clowns are claiming but we do need to do things better . Would be nice if we were given the proper situation rather than the nonsense bs propagated by XR .

I was looking forward to massive snowball fights, got a bad sunburn that same year. Baz Lurhmann was right wear sunscreen.

I remember it well that late November in my primary school, looking at the sleet falling outside.

Image's of sheet's of ice coming from the north pole,the Shannon estuary frozen over and endless snow

Sledging down hillside's and snow all year round.

Because the scientists predicted so...

It's hilarious watching people being lied to again and it's all because it's the people who have invested money in wind turbines, solar energy and electronic car's....
    A lot of elites have invested their money in renuable energy and their future depends on it, not ours but theirs.
    They've invested millions, it's like the electric car batteries they're absolutely toxic.

Wind turbines need a lot of oil for maintenance and they're started off with diesel engines.

Have you noticed a few wind turbines stopped still and not a puff of air and there's the misfit turbine spinning away and they're all facing the same direction, give me a break.
    The emperor's New clothes comes to mind.

You'll also see them not moving either when the wind's blowing.
    They're so heavy some of them, that to spin them around they need a mechanical diesel engine to start them off...

Get enough people full of fear and they'll capitulate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

It’s a sad indictment of where the world is right now that behaviour like that is applauded. You can’t possibly tell me the anger in that man was brought on by a few climate change protesters.

A man who has had enough of workshy narcissistic attention whores making people's lives difficult finally has enough and treats them as they should be treated, with utter contempt. The worm has turned and the guy who got a kicking in London last week when he made the mistake of being a middle class guy stopping working class people getting to work. Londoners have had enough of this crap during the summer.

Lovvies, students, wealthy pensioners and the workshy looking for something to do, bringing London to a standstill and achieving nothing other than inconveniencing people who have jobs to go to and eating a huge amount of the Policing budget to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

To all the nay sayers I would just ask them to take some time out and do some research on geeenhouse gases like CO2 effecting climate by perpetually rising temps which then lead to feedback loops.

I’m not gonna preach to you, use your own time and effort to come to your own conclusions.

As I said previously on this thread. You are entitled to your own opinions but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

To all the nay sayers I would just ask them to take some time out and do some research on geeenhouse gases like CO2 effecting climate by perpetually rising temps which then lead to feedback loops.

I’m not gonna preach to you, use your own time and effort to come to your own conclusions.

As I said previously on this thread. You are entitled to your own opinions but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.

Sage advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

blueshade wrote: »
    A man who has had enough of workshy narcissistic attention whores

Now you're just being lazy. I took part in the 2 week rebellion, having had to take days off work, unpaid. If you actually went to a protest, yes, you'd see many students who are unemployed; but also doctors, lawyers, nurses, farmers, engineers, grandparents, business CEOs.

This kind of cliched posting reaffirms my belief that, with the rise of populism worldwide, most people are projecting their hate for the system that is failing them into climate protestors, and minorities, any 'others' basically.

Since XR's April rebellion, there has been a huge increase in public awareness in the UK over the climate emergency. This has been attributed to XR, so it would seem you're not being accurate when you think most people are sick of XR. The evidence suggests the majority support them..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What percentage of the greenhouse effect attributable to CO2, is anthropogenic in origin? Easy question for such an accomplished researcher such as yourself.

It's not a feed-back loop, by the way, and temperatures won't rise perpetually. The known history of the Earth's climate shows that quite clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cnocbui wrote: »
    What percentage of the greenhouse effect attributable to CO2, is anthropogenic in origin? Easy question for such an accomplished researcher such as yourself..

about 45%, give or take...

about 45%, give or take...

You are at least two orders of magnitude out ie, not even close.

You are at least two orders of magnitude out ie, not even close.

throw us up a link there and ill have a look at it, the rise in CO2 attributable to humans is about 45%., the greenhouse effect attributable to that rise in CO2 is about 10%, as far as i can see from a quick google

• Advertisement

With all the time herd's of buffaloes, parade's of Mamoths amongst other animals in North America before the pale face came, I'm surprised they're not under water with all the co2 emitted from the flatulence.
    As for Africa and other continents....say no more.

Social justice warriors and eco warriors are absolutely wasters, I heard a guy call them fillers.
    Just soulless individuals hell bent on causing trouble.
    They encourage their kid's too, indoctrination of young kid's before the kids make up their own mind's etc

throw us up a link there and ill have a look at it, the rise in CO2 attributable to humans is about 45%., the greenhouse effect attributable to that rise in CO2 is about 10%, as far as i can see from a quick google

Sorry, my bad, it's a single order of magnitude: https://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html
    0.117% of the greenhouse effect is due to atmospheric CO2 from human activity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Now you're just being lazy. I took part in the 2 week rebellion, having had to take days off work, unpaid. If you actually went to a protest, yes, you'd see many students who are unemployed; but also doctors, lawyers, nurses, farmers, engineers, grandparents, business CEOs.

That gives those who chose to waste or spend their time protesting (depending on your pov) no right to stop others going to work or going about their daily business.

From a quick review of the London protests - there seemed to be far and few professionals in evidence. Of course that's just a visual appraisal
    Maybe all those hippies at the front were indeed doctors and similar. Anything is possible.

Btw that poll does not show that the "evidence suggests the majority support" extinction rebellion aims etc - rather it appears to use leading questions to elicit the 'right' responses. A bit like asking people the question should 'wife beating be outlawed?' - you are always going to get an affirmative answer ...

Sorry, my bad, it's a single order of magnitude: https://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

that data is from 20 years ago, theres been a roughly 10% rise in CO2 levels since then

That gives those who chose to waste or spend their time protesting (depending on your pov) no right to stop others going to work or going about their daily business.

realistically, it is very unlikely that anybody was actually stopped from going to work or from going about their daily business. there was small scale disruption yes, however london more or less went on as normal, just like dublin. the protests were announced well in advance, if people are unable to plan around something announced well in advance then ultimately they have themselves to blame.
    From a quick review of the London protests - there seemed to be far and few professionals in evidence. Of course that's just a visual appraisal
    Maybe all those hippies at the front were indeed doctors and similar. Anything is possible.

whoever was at the protest is ultimately irrelevant. it is the message that counts. it is those unable to argue against the message who are resorting to trying to insult and stereotype people, i can only assume that is because they have absolutely nothing to counteract what is being said.

realistically, it is very unlikely that anybody was actually stopped from going to work or from going about their daily business. there was small scale disruption yes, however london more or less went on as normal, just like dublin. the protests were announced well in advance, if people are unable to plan around something announced well in advance then ultimately they have themselves to blame.

What like those at the train station in London, or the cyclists in Dublin or the guy in the video linked above? And all the other occasions where social media didn't capture yeah? Roads were occupied and eejits blocked public transport. So for sure people were prevented from going to work and about their usual business.
    whoever was at the protest is ultimately irrelevant. it is the message that counts. it is those unable to argue against the message who are resorting to trying to insult and stereotype people, because they have absolutely nothing to counteract what is being said.

Ah the proverbial 'messsge' again. Like gretas 'message' *rollseyes*. What I do know of ER is that it was set up by two dyed in the wool anarchists whose stated aim is to take down the system. That they are using those who are passionate about environmental issues is perhaps not surprising is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ah the proverbial 'messsge' again. Like gretas 'message' *rollseyes*. What I do know of ER is that it was set up by two dyed in the wool anarchists whose stated aim is to take down the system. That they are using those who are passionate about environmental issues is perhaps not surprising is it?

I think Marxist control freaks hijacked anarchism a long time ago gozunda. ERs founders are both are obviously in cognative decline from veganism and taking way too many drugs, they are at the point where they are completely detached from reality. A Marxist who failed as organic farmer and a wan that speaks to the spirits during drug binges in her teepee. That said I think they just agreed to be the "founders" on paper, the stench of NGO /foundations off ER is strong and I doubt either of the founders are capable of organising anything more complicated than a house party.

What like those at the train station in London, or the cyclists in Dublin or the guy in the video linked above? And all the other occasions where social media didn't capture yeah? Roads were occupied and eejits blocked public transport. So for sure people were prevented from going to work and about their usual business.

there were plenty of other roads and anything that was blocked was cleared very quickly by police.

i don't care who set it up or their motives for doing so.
    the reality is, and what i care about, is that the job has been done and climate and environmental issues are being discussed.
    if the 2 who set it up want to take down the system, that is their issue, it won't be achieved. so it's irrelevant.

Another view of the video of guy dealing with the eejits blocking the road. The guy is a hero :pac:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlnBOpX

• Advertisement

from a quick google, I was getting articles stating the Greenhouse Effect of CO2 exponentially decreases to a point where any increase over 1000 ppm has no effect, but these articles seemed to all be from blogs, or sites with 'skeptic' in the title...
    after another bit of googling (mostly clicking onto wikipedia) i found two graphs.

one showing the rise in 'radiative forcing' (greenhouse effect) due to Carbon Dioxide since 1979

Carbon_Dioxide_radiative_forcing.png

and another showing the rise in CO2 levels since 1959, but if you look at the data from 79 on, it pretty much lines up...

mlo_full_record.png

so, is there a diminishing global warming effect in rising CO2 levels or not? maybe the effect is too small to notice over such a short range of concentrations, but i havent seen any 'official' sources stating anything like this

Advertisement