Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Did anybody else preorder in Gamestop when they were taking them before Christmas. Persume our preorders will be for the disc version. Have zero interest in a digital only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The guy running a 1060 in his PC isn't holding back the guy running a a 2080Ti.

If the game was on PS4 it could have lower quality presets, lower frame rates and slower loading.

Exactly there are already 2 tiers of graphics with the ps4 and ps4 pro so developers are already used to making games for different spec consoles.

It's unclear what Sony will do but Hitman 3 is coming to PS4 in 2021 so you can be sure most 3rd party games will once they are expected to sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

They stated they believe in console generations so no PS5 games will be on PS4.

That’s a good thing because why would you buy a PS5 if it’s held back by PS4 and won’t take advantage of the SSD?

So Spider-man 2 won't be for sale on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

eamo22 wrote: »
    Did anybody else preorder in Gamestop when they were taking them before Christmas. Persume our preorders will be for the disc version. Have zero interest in a digital only

Just a speculation, but I'd say you'll have a choice. Not sure how they'll do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

There are over 100m PS4s out there, not a hope they are being ignored any time soon.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    There are over 100m PS4s out there, not a hope they are being ignored any time soon.

Yes, the transition period may be a bit longer this time, it depends on how the new consoles sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yes, the transition period may be a bit longer this time, it depends on how the new consoles sell.

Yes, I think we are going to see many games on PS4. I know Playstation have put out a very vague statement about "believing in generations" but I can't see them holding on that for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

If the game was on PS4 it could have lower quality presets, lower frame rates and slower loading.

SSD will make it impossible pretty soon, its 100 times faster than PS4 hdd

Games utilising it just won't be possible on PS4

It will become mandatory on pc's as well in time

Especially on XBox with the subscription model the switchover to the next gen should be slower. Not sure how "essential" PS+ is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

PS5 world size would be limited by the PS4 SSD. So you’d have fancier graphics but the same design choices like long corridors and elevators to disguise load screens.

The UE5 demo wouldn’t even be feasible if they had PS4 bass hardware in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mike3287 wrote:

SSDs have been in pc for years, and you can still.play games on a HDD.

Pretty much every third party game will release on both gens too. Likes of AC, sports games, COD, Cyberpunk will be the years biggest releases and likely are on both. I can't see the PS4 being abandoned by developers until 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Happy with what I seen today, Horizon 2, Resi 8, G Turismo 7 and Deathloop all look class.

So Spider-man 2 won't be for sale on PS4.

PlayStation has always pushed its first party studios to make the most of the hardware to sell that hardware.

So no, I don’t see them doing cross gen. It defeats what they’re aiming to do with the optimisation and SSD investment they’ve done.

MS is taking the subscription approach and so will try to accommodate everyone, everywhere. They’re both taking different paths.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Not just a Demon's Souls remaster, but a BLUEPOINT Demon's Souls remaster. Straight into the veins, lads.

Prepare to....buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

titan18 wrote: »

Pretty much every third party game will release on both gens too. Likes of AC, sports games, COD, Cyberpunk will be the years biggest releases and likely are on both. I can't see the PS4 being abandoned by developers until 2022.

Because they're being made to run on HDD, there's a few games and EA ones that actual have an SSD as a requirement. When you try them on a HDD they run atrociously. Digital foundry video on it not too long ago.

titan18 wrote: »

Because those games are designed with many people playing games off of HDD.

Star Citizen requires an SSD to run and look at the impact that has had on the scope of the game. If you have to factor in the weakest hardware, you’re limited in scope. You can make it look great, but it’s only ever as ambitious as the weakest factor will allow.

3rd party developers never abandon the previous gen and they won’t for years after 2022. Look at FIFA!

I’m disappointed BF6 will be coming to PS4 and X1 as it means the benefits of next gen SDD’s won’t be felt outside faster load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mike3287 wrote: »

Games utilising it just won't be possible on PS4

It will become mandatory on pc's as well in time

Have they said it's 100 times faster?

Obviously the PS4 won't be able to use the SSD unless you install one yourself. What will happen is the games files will be larger on the PS4 because they'll have to prebuild areas in games which will need to be loaded between each in game area. I believe this is removed in the next gen consoles because the game can steam the data to memory much faster so less need for large pre built areas in storage.

That's not true. I play destiny on PC with my brother and he has the game loaded on an NVME drive and plays on a 3700X with an RTX 2080 Super. I have a 1700 and RTX260 but the game is installed on my HDD. No issues playing together other than slightly longer loading times for me.

F1ngers wrote: »

Definitely not by 3rd party, but first party will definitely be shifting over immediately.

I'm unsure on what 1st party games we can expect on release.
    Can anyone fill me in? Ratchet and Clank?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sooner the better they start developing next-gen only games TBH. There’s always a crossover - whether that’s different versions of the same game, or like Assassin’s Creed effectively making entirely different games for each gen. But the longer it goes on, the more the games suffer. A FIFA will be easy to support across multiple generations, big new blockbusters won’t.

The difference between PC and consoles is the unified hardware base. Everyone has the same specs: it’s why you get console games that push things far beyond PCs at the same price point will. When everyone has an SSD, that means every developer will be able to use it to benefit design. While it be revolutionary? Probably not tbh, but it could make a big difference to how generally fluid games are (adios, squeezing through tight gaps!) and the types of things designers won’t need to cut back on.

Yes, it’s only fair for developers to continue to support previous gen consoles for a while - lots of people won’t be able to afford a new one, so it’s unfair to cut them off completely. Equally though what’s the point of a whole new machine if developers can’t take advantage of it? Reasonable support for the PS4 and XB1 for sure, but not to the point where it starts to hobble the capabilities of developers who want to push things further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Have they said it's 100 times faster?

Obviously the PS4 won't be able to use the SSD unless you install one yourself. What will happen is the games files will be larger on the PS4 because they'll have to prebuild areas in games which will need to be loaded between each in game area. I believe this is removed in the next gen consoles because the game can steam the data to memory much faster so less need for large pre built areas in storage.

That's not true. I play destiny on PC with my brother and he has the game loaded on an NVME drive and plays on a 3700X with an RTX 2080 Super. I have a 1700 and RTX260 but the game is installed on my HDD. No issues playing together other than slightly longer loading times for me.

You’re not getting that that game was designed around a HDD, so the SDD only provides a speed boost as the game level design hasn’t been able to exploit the benefits of SDD.

Look up Star Citizen and look at the UE5 breakdown by Digital Foundry and you’ll see what can be achieved when games are built solely on SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would it really be this big?

EaQ5q8jXgAAEDnd?format=jpg&name=large

OmOafCM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭eggy81

Did they reveal the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Any first party games shown won't be on the PS4 imo. 3rd party yes but more than ever consoles sell on exclusives so makes no sense if they're pushing to sell units making them cross generation.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Would it really be this big?

If they want the cooling to be as good as the xbox then it will probably need to have as much mass. So if it's skinny it will have to be taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

I know everyone used to complain about it at the time and say they should just showcase the games, but I actually really miss the old E3 theatrics that would come with a new console, with people talking about the hardware and tech demos and the like.

There was a good selection of games but I could have just not watched that and watched individual trailers for the games I was interested in. I’d have loved to see a live demo showcasing the controller features, a preview of the OS, that kind of thing.

Still, the hardware looks stunning so I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Pretty brave from Sony because it certainly doesn’t play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

eamo22 wrote: »
    Yup I did. Not sure will have to visit a GameStop store soon. Plus if we ordered then do we get first dibs when they arrive in store as on their site it says first come first served more or less when you read about the PlayStation 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Looks so much better in black

JShwEg.jpg

• Advertisement

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Yup I did. Not sure will have to visit a GameStop store soon.

Almost half their stores are opening on Monday you can see the list of which ones on their site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement