Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Looks really slick imo

Will definitly be getting for the exclusives in anyway,
    Although showing no price makes me think minimum will be 500quid which I suppose is fair enough considering the hardware inside

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Unless horizon/demon souls or a full Spidey game are released at launch I'll be holding off a while to buy this. Thought it looked decent though but there better not be an issue with laying it flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well i thought that was great, some meh but some absolutely class games there and the console is slick as ****. Day 1 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Slick design. It looks like the headquarters of the evil corporation in a dystopian sci fi film.

I don't think you'll get a better description of the actual console :pac:

I'd be very worried about heat and noise. There didn't look to be great ventilation and the console looked very thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Could of sworn i seen a picture of it on its side there near the end. I hope so!!!

But ya that was class thats how you do it right there Microsoft :pac:

**** me i really wanna know more about the next Resident Evil game!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Showed more than I expected. Spiderman MM, Horizon 2, GT7, Demon Souls remastered & Ratchet and Clank.

Death Loop, Hitman 3 & Resi VIII too.

Can't justify one in 2020 so the 2021 dates are fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I don't really like the look of it so I'll just get the digital edition so I don't have it in my living room.
    Did they say what size the download is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I don't get the love for the console by some PS fanboys who have take the p1ss outta the Series X. That looks bigger. That being said, absolutely gorgeous console. Surprised there doesn't seem to be a big marquee launch title though. And half of the games are not exclusives. I dunno, kinda meh. Demon Souls remaster is great as a Souls fan though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

I wonder when preorders start? It was around this time in June 2013 for ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The Disc console is UGLY!

The discless version looks like it might be able to sit horizontal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The console design is both horrendous and fantastic at the same time. It's not even Marmite, I both hate and love it.

As for the games, there were no huge big surprises, but there was a good mix of very different games throughout, a lot to look forward to. Horizon looked insane, far beyond anything else shown imo.

Almost tempted to keep the PS4 for blurays and just get the digital edition.

py2006 wrote: »
    not liking that you have to stand it up

Actually that's a good point. With the shape I doubt you'll be able to lay it on its side?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Unless you can pull off the black stand. That won't lie down. I actually don't have room to put a standing up one without some reconfiguration so that's an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That was pretty underwhelming for a first reveal. Horizon 2 looked visually stunning though, it looked a genuine graphical leap. The console itself is horrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Comparing xbox to ps5 console wise, one will fit on/beside my cabinet, the other doesn't, no fanboy **** about it.

Like already said, I'm worried about fan noise. Xbox looks to have better ventilation but let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Pity there was no date for Horizon, so it's probably a while away. That was the one (plausible) game that would have made it a definite buy on release for me. Not so sure now. Spiderman is probably not a full game, and there's a few other ones I'm interested in but they're not til 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

So few interesting titles, ones that are not going to make me buy the ps5 day one but could be really good. Only resi 8 and horizon really made me go ok these games are what I want. I don't see myself buying the ps5 until the cross generation drys up so probably a year to eighteen months out from release day. The console look itself I'm not a fan but I don't care overall, the controller looks interesting, slightly bulkier than ps4, be interesting to see how it feels in the hand and after a few hours gameplay. Disappoint there was no price given but happy enough that I know what my plan is about buying it.

I'll be in no rushing getting this. I thoroughly regretted getting PS4 early last time round. Hopefully by the time I buy one they'll have a nice black version available.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I guess my main takeaway is that there was nothing shown that doesn't look like it couldn't be done on the current generation aside from Horizon 2 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Well like the Xbox that was incredibly underwhelming, this is coming from someone who skipped the last gen.

What exactly in these games is groundbreaking that couldn't be done on the PS4? Most look like PS4 games even Horizon Zero Dawn 2 which the first was stunning too.

But outside of graphics (which isn't noticeable now) what's new? What's the unique selling point for the PS5? It's the same games again, same sequels, same gameplay. Maybe it's an element of singularity in gaming or me getting older but the generational leap isn't being showcased and people are still getting hyped. We should not accept mediocrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Reminds me of a sky box

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Comparing xbox to ps5 console wise, one will fit on/beside my cabinet, the other doesn't, no fanboy **** about it.

Like already said, I'm worried about fan noise. Xbox looks to have better ventilation but let's see.

Two things annoyed me about my PS4. The battery life of controller and the fact it sounded like a jet engine in a lot of games.

I'd imagine the battery issue will be better but the noise did my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Not a big fan of the dirty fecking USB port in the middle of the case facing you. A light accent down the centre of the black part would have been nicer to my eye but whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think the console looks gorgeous. Distinctive unlike the XBlock.

Games wise.... nothing really exciting there that won't be on PC. Astrobot maybe but not buying a console for it. Will see what Demon's Souls is as well. Might swing me.

Not a bad showing though but the two big games Spiderman and Horizon aren't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

EaQtbw2WsAEoGyd?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like it can lay on it's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Zero-Cool wrote: »

That's one thing I noticed too. And that fast a SSD is going to get very, very hot if the claims are true.

Mixed bag for me. Lots of ****ty indie games and kids games, not what I would buy a new system for. Good to see Horizon sequel, looked class.

The physical console looks how I expected. Generally I mean, not specifically. Not really a fan of it, looks like an Alienware PC. A bit kinda "look at me" design...
    overdesigned.

Discless model at launch seems a bit daft, points to a high price for the disc version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

VillaMad wrote: »
    EaQtbw2WsAEoGyd?format=jpg&name=large

Loos like it can lay on it's side.

That looks worse somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

py2006 wrote: »
    not liking that you have to stand it up

You definitely don't have to. Both versions look flat enough on the sides that you can lay them down. The entire body won't be on the flat surface but the edges will.

I'd also wager there's an alternative configuration using the stand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Probably as good as you're going to get from a glorified infomercial, TBH.

Lots of games there I'm keen to play. The two Annapurna games look great, but the (seemingly triumphant) return of Superbrothers was an unexpected little Thursday evening buzz. Lots of the games look neat - Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo look super slick, and Resi 8 seems like precisely the sort of swerve I like to see from that series. Bluepoint Demon's Souls is an easy win.

Hardware looks slick. But hey, only so much you can expect from an hour long montage of ads. Looking forward to playing the console whenever it shows up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement